Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question wells worked out for broncos

here is something that might get peoples mind of of jay cutler for a minute. here is the article Bengals to consider Beanie Wells with No. 6 pick
    By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Cincinnati Bengals have the sixth overall selection in this year's NFL draft and will be in search of an impact player on either offense or defense. The prospect evaluation process has long begun and the franchise is beginning to narrow down its choices.

One impact player ranked high on the team's list is Ohio State running back Chris "Beanie" Wells. The Bengals have a need for a playmaker at the running back position behind starter Cedric Benson and Wells is scheduled to visit the organization in Cincinnati the first week of April.

Wells may have put himself back in the running as a potential Top 5 pick after an explosive performance at the school's pro day on March 13, rebounding from a so-so showing at the Scouting Combine last month.

"It was big for me to perform well at the pro day," Wells said in a recent phone interview. "I knew deep down that I could do better in my 40-time than I did at the combine. It was more of a personal thing for me. It felt great when I crossed that finish line and heard my times."

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Wells was clocked as low as 4.34 and as high as 4.42 in the 40-yard dash. I'm told that he also fared well during position drills, grabbing the attention of all 32 team representatives in attendance.

The Seattle Seahawks with the No. 3 pick and Cleveland Browns at No. 5 have expressed interest in the running back. Other teams at top of the draft board expressing interest include Green Bay, Jacksonville, Denver and Cincinnati of course.

Wells worked out privately for the Broncos on Tuesday, March 17. According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the workout went extremely well.

Despite being slowed by a foot injury in 2008, Wells believes that he's the top running back prospect entering the draft based on his production in college.

"I've been injured, but those things happen when you're playing football," he said. "If you look at the film and what I was able to accomplish when healthy, you could immediately tell that I would have had a heck of a year if not for the injury. However, I was still able to perform as one of the top running backs in the country."

The junior running back rushed for 1,197 yards and 8 touchdowns in 10 appearances during an injury-plagued season. Wells earned second team all-Big Ten despite missing three games. He was voted team Most Valuable Player and first team all-Big Ten after rushing for 1,609 yards and 15 touchdowns his sophomore year.

When it comes to drafting running backs there are many who believe that they come a dime a dozen, but not when they're special.

Wells is a complete back with a rare combination of size, speed and quickness. Not to mention a home run hitter. He's a powerful inside runner with the ability to bounce the ball outside and take it the distance. He shows good lateral quickness, acceleration and initial burst through the hole. Wells is a patient runner with good vision and can anticipate cutback lanes as they develop. He has the ability to make defenders miss in the open field; blocks well and is a reliable outlet receiver. The only concern with the runner is durability. However, when healthy not many are better.

Should the Bengals decide to use their first round pick on Wells, this could make for a nice one-two punch with him sharing the load with Benson in the backfield.

The Akron native said that he would love to play for Cleveland or Cincinnati. Now it's just a matter of who will pull the trigger on draft day.

Carlos "Big C" Holmes covers the NFL for the Dayton Daily News.

More NFL draft coverage: Catch the latest NFL news, subscribe to the RSS feed, or get automatic e-mail notification of the latest news for you teams at BigCProFootball.com and on our site.

I'll take Wells if we can get another team to pay him!

Hooray, beer!

I hope Buckhulter goes to jail and his contract is null and voided so we can get a 5th rounder or later at RB.
    New England Patriots GM

thats great news. i still don't want us to draft him, but if he can catch the attention of say, the browns then that means more defensive players for us!
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

We have done a private workout with EVERY SINGLE top RB in this draft. We are taking a RB in the Top 2 selections.

1. Knowshon Moreno
    2. Beanie Wells
    3. Donald Brown
    4. Rashad Jennings

The only guy we haven't done, that I have seen reported, is LeSean McCoy.

There are *two* positions we have worked out extensively privately this offseason, and you only have limited personal workouts, and those positions are RB and OLB/DE. If I had to guess, those might be our top two draft pick positions. And ALL the RBs listed above, including McCoy, will be GONE when we pick in the 2nd Round. What does that tell you?

It tells me RB in the 1st is likely.

possibility

If Cutler isnt around well definately need some extra firepower on "o". Solid tailbacks are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    We have done a private workout with EVERY SINGLE top RB in this draft. We are taking a RB in the Top 2 selections.

1. Knowshon Moreno
    2. Beanie Wells
    3. Donald Brown
    4. Rashad Jennings

The only guy we haven't done, that I have seen reported, is LeSean McCoy.

There are *two* positions we have worked out extensively privately this offseason, and you only have limited personal workouts, and those positions are RB and OLB/DE. If I had to guess, those might be our top two draft pick positions. And ALL the RBs listed above, including McCoy, will be GONE when we pick in the 2nd Round. What does that tell you?

It tells me RB in the 1st is likely.
    I really dont get it mug. why sign all those FA's when you plan on drafting a back.

And is this a bad shanny dream. we need to fix the defense so well just draft a running back.
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

A sound running game is key to everything offense in the NFL but it becomes magnified x10 ten to a new QB learning the ropes of a system ... I don't want to read behind the lines to much ...Although that is just what I did ...

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosinindy View Post
    I really dont get it mug. why sign all those FA's when you plan on drafting a back.

And is this a bad shanny dream. we need to fix the defense so well just draft a running back.

Don't ask about the name.

I like the idea of drafting a RB, especially a game-breaking stud. I consider all the top RBs to be that calibur of player. I have zero faith in the guys we currently have. Heck, I probably like LaMont Jordan the most of them all. So, that is sad.

If the best player when we pick in the 1st Round or 2nd Round is a top talent RB, lets take him. A strong running game DOES help the defense a ton. Part of the problem with last season is that we couldn't run to save our lives (except when we turned to Hillis, and then of course we were kicking butt), so our defense would get worn out.

I strongly believe in the Parcells model, and McDaniels is from that tree. You build from the inside out. Strong Lines, strong Running game, strong ILB play, strong Safety play. CBs and WRs are fill ins. If the stud D-linemen aren't there, RB is next on the list at this current time.

My only problem with Chris Wells is his amount of injuries. We can't have our 1st round pick going through rehabilitation together with Torain. And we lost 7 running backs to injury last season. So, when I think about Chris Wells, all those injuries come to mind.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Broncos worked out Pat White yesterday!!!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/18/whit...riots-broncos/

I think The Denver Post wrote that Denver will target a WR in the 1st 4 rounds and someone to run The Wildcat Offense.

I wish he was 3 inches taller!!!!
    Last edited by broncofansd; 03-19-2009 at 03:54 PM.

oooooh dont tease me with visions of spectacular open-field runs, the kind that'd make yr jaw drop...

PW rocked the combine, made Staff and Sanch look like overrated stiffs in the passing, strength, and agility drills, and did well in the receiving end.....

even if he never took a snap as a QB, he's a versatile, explosive threat with Hillis-ish game skills. If the Broncos got him as a jack-of-all-trades threat, I would be at the airport to welcome him. However he might end up in Houston with Kubiak and Slaton, and I dont see him on the board past R2.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofansd View Post
    I wish he was 3 inches taller!!!!
    Eh, he doesnt necc have to play QB, and Brees is about the same size and he has no issues with production. Id rather see PW bulk up a tad, tho, so he can weather the hits better.

He's such an exciting player tho, the kind where U find any way possible to get the ball in his hands. Any team that gets him will be pleased.
    Last edited by Sequence; 03-19-2009 at 04:05 PM.

I really like Pat White and I think he's going to be very valuable to any team that uses him right. When I say valuable, I mean look for him to be used in 1 or 2 trick plays a game that could go for a HUGE gain which could potentialy be a game changing play. Whenever you have that kind of athletisism, you are a game changing player. I don't know where he expects to get drafted, but it would be hard to pass on a player that special anywhere from 4-7.

Ok I have lost all hope now ... really ....

I can understand a good bit of people do like him and I respect that ... He did pick up when he needed to the most ...

I just do not want anything to do with Pat White and I have watched enough of him to give my opinion and speak honestly about it...