Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncofannBama View Post
    Not sure how many that read this post will remamber this episode of Sportscentury I'm talking about but here goes. I got out a recording of John Elway from a Sportscentury episode and I thought it was kind of wierd when I watched it again that one of the reasons why John said he didn't want to go to the Colts was that the Colts coach at the time was an old school do it my way or the highway coach. Elway didn't want to even try to play under that kind of coach. Not because he felt he should be treated like a star, but that he wasn't accustomed to playing for that type of coach. He of course got his way and got himself sent to Denver. The rest is history. It just seems odd that the Jay Cutler vs Josh McDaniels saga has a slight resemblance to what Elway didn't want to go through. A coach that doesn't want to be gentle or baby his quarterback and not allow him to think he deserved any better treatment than any other player. Now it appears Josh and Jay are going through that kind of issue. Jay doesn't trust or like McDaniels and McDaniels thinks Jay should accept his way of coaching. I could be wrong in thinking that these two situations share a strange similarity. Don't get me wrong I want Jay to stay a Bronco and not leave because of this.
    The Cutler/McDaniels feud got nothing to sdo with his style of coaching...
    http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/photos/face3.jpg
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by mbu View Post
    ...also remember Elway told Baltimore that he wasn't going to play for them and all this took place BEFORE ELWAY WAS DRAFTED! Baltimore drafted him anyway and the only option left for Elway was to play baseball since he would not be allowed to play NFL football under the draft rules. Baltimore then traded Elway to Denver for Chris Hinton, Mark Hermann and a first-round draft pick.

    Naturally Baltimore fans hated Elway and the following link tells what happened when Elway made his first appearance in Baltimore on a Monday Night Football game that happened to be Halloween night .... it wasn't good folks, it wasn't good!

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n15657214
    Yup. That was true :salute!:
    http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/photos/face3.jpg
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044
    Quote Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
    The Cutler/McDaniels feud got nothing to sdo with his style of coaching...
    Yes it does have something to do with McDaniels coaching style.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    2,985
    The real reason that Elway didn't want the Colts to draft him was that he saw into the future with his awesome sauce mental abilities and knew that with the Broncos he'd struggle for a while but develop a reputation as the comeback kid and would win in a blaze of glory at the end of his career, and retire as the richest NFL player in the history of the game. After that, he'd hock a furniture line, steak houses, cars, and anything else that people were willing to pay him to do, so he could find the cheerleader love of his life. Somehow, the details at the end were fuzzy and he didn't realize it'd be a Raiders cheerleader. Doh!
    Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by mbu View Post
    ...also remember Elway told Baltimore that he wasn't going to play for them and all this took place BEFORE ELWAY WAS DRAFTED! Baltimore drafted him anyway and the only option left for Elway was to play baseball since he would not be allowed to play NFL football under the draft rules. Baltimore then traded Elway to Denver for Chris Hinton, Mark Hermann and a first-round draft pick.

    Naturally Baltimore fans hated Elway and the following link tells what happened when Elway made his first appearance in Baltimore on a Monday Night Football game that happened to be Halloween night .... it wasn't good folks, it wasn't good!

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n15657214
    I was at the first Game in Baltimore and it was the Second game of the season not on Halloween. That is about another game. Look it up on the Broncos website

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Yes it does have something to do with McDaniels coaching style.
    Last time I checked, they haven't had any "football" activity as it relates to coaching and player...
    http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/photos/face3.jpg
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    540
    Kush's issues went well beyond "my way or the highway". He was abusive, sadistic, and out of touch with the game. The fact that he was hired by the Colts even after the incident at Arizona St should be a red flag for the mindset of the whole Robert Irsay era. He was well on his way to destroying the Colts before he gave way to his son Jim, who saved them from oblivion. That's the reason Elway didn't want to play there. Nobody did. John just happened to have enough leverage to get away.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by floridabroncos View Post
    The real reason that Elway didn't want the Colts to draft him was that he saw into the future with his awesome sauce mental abilities and knew that with the Broncos he'd struggle for a while but develop a reputation as the comeback kid and would win in a blaze of glory at the end of his career, and retire as the richest NFL player in the history of the game. After that, he'd hock a furniture line, steak houses, cars, and anything else that people were willing to pay him to do, so he could find the cheerleader love of his life. Somehow, the details at the end were fuzzy and he didn't realize it'd be a Raiders cheerleader. Doh!
    Man, that is some FUNNY stuff bout the Raiders Cheerleader right there!
    oh YEAH?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncofannBama View Post
    Not sure how many that read this post will remamber this episode of Sportscentury I'm talking about but here goes. I got out a recording of John Elway from a Sportscentury episode and I thought it was kind of wierd when I watched it again that one of the reasons why John said he didn't want to go to the Colts was that the Colts coach at the time was an old school do it my way or the highway coach. Elway didn't want to even try to play under that kind of coach. Not because he felt he should be treated like a star, but that he wasn't accustomed to playing for that type of coach. He of course got his way and got himself sent to Denver. The rest is history. It just seems odd that the Jay Cutler vs Josh McDaniels saga has a slight resemblance to what Elway didn't want to go through. A coach that doesn't want to be gentle or baby his quarterback and not allow him to think he deserved any better treatment than any other player. Now it appears Josh and Jay are going through that kind of issue. Jay doesn't trust or like McDaniels and McDaniels thinks Jay should accept his way of coaching. I could be wrong in thinking that these two situations share a strange similarity. Don't get me wrong I want Jay to stay a Bronco and not leave because of this.

    I am from Baltimore and I assure you that was a smoke screen. He didn't want to come here because Irsay was an awful awful owner that wasn't committed to winning-period. People around here still blame John Elway-it is amazing. I understand why they were upset, but it wasn't Elway's problem that Bob Irsay was probably one of the worst owner's in the history of the game.
    Bronco Fan from DC (previously Baltimore)

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
    The Cutler/McDaniels feud got nothing to sdo with his style of coaching...
    I strongly disagree with that.
    Bronco Fan from DC (previously Baltimore)

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
    I strongly disagree with that.
    Elaborate a little more other than just "disagreeing"?
    What's McD coaching style?
    http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/photos/face3.jpg
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18,970
    Quote Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
    Elaborate a little more other than just "disagreeing"?
    What's McD coaching style?
    They are referring to his "style" as a coach. The way he handles people, the way he does his business, the way he COACHES a team. Coaching doesn't only referr to the 'system' at which they run. It has to do with all the operations of coaching.

    McDaniel's "style" of coaching so far has been a manner in which a LOT LOT of NFL players on TV have criticized a great deal. The last thing you want, is for your star players to already not trust you... especially since you continued to lie about it.

    Thats a style. Thats a personality style. Thats a person style. Thats a style in which a person conducts himself... which is part of coaching.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
    I am from Baltimore and I assure you that was a smoke screen. He didn't want to come here because Irsay was an awful awful owner that wasn't committed to winning-period. People around here still blame John Elway-it is amazing. I understand why they were upset, but it wasn't Elway's problem that Bob Irsay was probably one of the worst owner's in the history of the game.

    Don't know about the last part but the first is the way I remember it.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,976
    [QUOTE=Ravage!!!;2671241]
    They are referring to his "style" as a coach. The way he handles people, the way he does his business, the way he COACHES a team. Coaching doesn't only referr to the 'system' at which they run. It has to do with all the operations of coaching.
    That's general manager duties, not coaching. The way he coaches a team? Where? He was the OC for NE, and if I recall correctly, they blossomed under his leadership. Can't argue with those kind of results, can you?

    McDaniel's "style" of coaching so far has been a manner in which a LOT LOT of NFL players on TV have criticized a great deal. The last thing you want, is for your star players to already not trust you... especially since you continued to lie about it.
    This news for everybody. what do you mean criticized a great deal by NFL players on TV? Where did you get that from. State the facts, dude!

    Thats a style. Thats a personality style. Thats a person style. Thats a style in which a person conducts himself... which is part of coaching
    Now we're talking. That's more likely, it might be part of coaching, but not the type of coaching that will hinder the players development, which is IMO the only thing to be concerned about, and not about feelings hurt...
    http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/photos/face3.jpg
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cebu, Philippines
    Posts
    649
    The main reason was because the Colts stunk so bad the city hated them. Does anyone remember the shots of their equipment being loaded on trucks and driven out of town in the middle of the night? That's pathetic. I have no idea how it was determined they deserved another team (one being stolen from a town that did indeed support their (also pathetic) team. Would you want to go to a suck team to be the only decent player (target) and therefore take the blame of all the team's ills? Yes, the coach sucked too, that's kind of a given with a suck team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •