Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2009 Division the way I see it

I've been thinking about this alot lately and the way I see the 2009 Division unfolding is like so.

4th Place Oakland Raiders I'm not giving predictions on records, but I'll be surprised if they win more than 3 games. Russell is the biggest NFL QB bust since Tim Couch and Darren McNuggett was overrated in college and that translated to the pros. Given no defense and a terrible receiving core the Raiders will be at the bottom of the cellar again.

3rd Place Kansas City Chiefs I swear to god if we got Matt Cassell I would have threw up in my mouth, this team is just set up for mediocrity. I will give KC 6 wins, this team will be a force in the future just b/c they are so young but this won't be the year.

2nd Place Denver Broncos this could easily be 3rd place if Cutler doesn't get to camp and learn the system. If he stays away for an extended period of time we'll get Chris Simms as QB and you can almost guarantee we will be bottom feeders b/c Chris Simms = Poop. The Defense is too far away to make us serious contenders and our schedule next year doesn't help so I will give Denver 7 wins if and only if Cutler comes back. Without Cutler we will be in the basement.

1st Place San Diego it pains me to say that the team I hate most will win the Division again. I hate Rivers and Steriod boy with a passion, them 2 should just die in a fire and make the whole world a better place. I'll give San Diego 9 wins just based on how bad our divisions schedules are next year.

Constructive thoughts only I hope I'm wrong and the Broncos win the Division and this whole offseason is forgotten but I guess only time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by IrishFan81 View Post
    I've been thinking about this alot lately and the way I see the 2009 Division unfolding is like so.

4th Place Oakland Raiders I'm not giving predictions on records, but I'll be surprised if they win more than 3 games. Russell is the biggest NFL QB bust since Tim Couch and Darren McNuggett was overrated in college and that translated to the pros. Given no defense and a terrible receiving core the Raiders will be at the bottom of the cellar again.

3rd Place Kansas City Chiefs I swear to god if we got Matt Cassell I would have threw up in my mouth, this team is just set up for mediocrity. I will give KC 6 wins, this team will be a force in the future just b/c they are so young but this won't be the year.

2nd Place Denver Broncos this could easily be 3rd place if Cutler doesn't get to camp and learn the system. If he stays away for an extended period of time we'll get Chris Simms as QB and you can almost guarantee we will be bottom feeders b/c Chris Simms = Poop. The Defense is too far away to make us serious contenders and our schedule next year doesn't help so I will give Denver 7 wins if and only if Cutler comes back. Without Cutler we will be in the basement.

1st Place San Diego it pains me to say that the team I hate most will win the Division again. I hate Rivers and Steriod boy with a passion, them 2 should just die in a fire and make the whole world a better place. I'll give San Diego 9 wins just based on how bad our divisions schedules are next year.

Constructive thoughts only I hope I'm wrong and the Broncos win the Division and this whole offseason is forgotten but I guess only time will tell
    Ok first of all as much as i hate the raiders you cannot claim Russell as a bust. He had one full starting season and like a month and a half of playing time his rookie year. So he cant be qualified as a bust yet.

KC is young with a lot of good players, so they could suprise you. They played everyone tough at the end of last year. They will be better than you think.

And even without cutler we can win a few. We will be a more run heavy team, but we wont be as terrible as you assume without cutler.

And SD. Is a very talented team. Rivers is a great nfl qb, but in the end they always choke.

Id have to say i agree with where you put the teams, but i dont agree with your reasoning.

Without Cutler we would be a run heavy team...my question is who is gonna do the running? We do not have a solid Number 1 back in my opinion

So much hate in that post.

I think you are underestimating the Chiefs and the Raiders. The Cutler thing has be so depressed, I won't even say where I think the Broncos will end up.

I'm not sure how anyone can give you constructive comments, when all you did was make hateful and crude comments to Bronco players, and members of other AFC West teams. This type of behavior is meant for the smack talk area.

I guess the only constructive thought I can give you is: make a constructive post, because that definitely wasn't one.

I also think you may be overlooking the Raiders. I don't really think we've seen enough to fairly evaluate Russel, and even if, for the sake of argument, you are right about McFadden, too many people are forgetting that the Raiders' real secret weapon is Michael Bush. I thought at the time, and still think now, that Bush was the biggest steal of that draft year, and will very soon be a game-changing weapon for his offense.

The Raiders are better than we tend to give them credit for.

And the Chiefs--who knows what they can do this year, with a new coach and front-office, and some solid new talent (they absolutely STOLE Cassel and Vrabel); if they have a great draft they could be a big surprise, but right now they are really a wild card--it's very tough to say how good they might be.

I think this division is going to be extremely tough and competitive this season.

:go:

Without Cutler we would be a run heavy team...my question is who is gonna do the running? We do not have a solid Number 1 back in my opinion
    You dont need a solid #1 to be an effective running team. Last year McD's offense didnt have a legit number 1 and were 6th in the league in rushing. We may not have that explosive guy that we all go get his jersey, but the guys we ahve will def get the job done.

Uhmmm isn't this how it goes down every year???

I can try to be constructive, but you have not left me much to work with. Most of the OP's post is assumption, and conjecture.

Here's how I see it:

Raiders: While they are not the worst team in the NFL they are far from being great. They have done really well at consistency when it comes to being a 5 win team. The glaring holes on that team are obvious and until they can establish some real leadership on the team they will continue to be nothing more than an upset special waiting to happen.

Chiefs: In many ways the Chiefs are going through the same changes the Broncos are. With a new coaching staff, a new QB and a bunch of rookie players it will just be a matter of seeing how quickly they will gel into a cohesive unit. No matter how bad Bronco fans like to think the Chiefs are they always play us tough, and you are kidding yourself if you think this year will be any different.

Chargers: Everyone gives the Chargers more credit an they are due. Are they a good team? Depends on who you ask. While they do show flashes of brilliance at times they are not exactly a model of consistency. If it was not for the Broncos self destruction last season the Chargers would still be sitting at 8-8 and wondering what happened. Instead we let ourselves down and allowed the Chargers to take our place in the playoffs. The Chargers have been steadily declining over the past 3 seasons with Norv at the helm. He has repeatedly proven that he is not a reliable head coach. If I was a betting man I would say the Chargers will be on par with last years team and if that's the case we should have a fair shot at beating them out once again.

Broncos: Much like the Chiefs we are currently fluctuating between new coaching staff and scheme. It is not fair to judge how we will do at this point based on as little data as we currently have. The draft hasn't happened, we don't really know what Cutler's status will be. There are too many unanswered questions at this point to make any type of educated guess.

My advice is to sit back, enjoy the summer, and check back close to July.
    Last edited by Poindexter; 03-27-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

The Chiefs have young players.

So do we.

The difference is that we mixed in some solid vets this offseason that will help our guys transition.

Wesley Woodyard was already a beast last season, and now has begun being mentored by Andra Davis.

We were almost just as young as Kansas City in 08, and were the better team. As their youth improves, ours will too.

I'm not worried at all unless the Cutler situation isn't solved soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    I also think you may be overlooking the Raiders. I don't really think we've seen enough to fairly evaluate Russel, and even if, for the sake of argument, you are right about McFadden, too many people are forgetting that the Raiders' real secret weapon is Michael Bush. I thought at the time, and still think now, that Bush was the biggest steal of that draft year, and will very soon be a game-changing weapon for his offense.

The Raiders are better than we tend to give them credit for.

And the Chiefs--who knows what they can do this year, with a new coach and front-office, and some solid new talent (they absolutely STOLE Cassel and Vrabel); if they have a great draft they could be a big surprise, but right now they are really a wild card--it's very tough to say how good they might be.

I think this division is going to be extremely tough and competitive this season.

:go:
    Completely agree with your assessment of the Raiders. It pains me greatly to say it, but if they get some blocking up front, they could be extremely dangerous. Russell is not a good decision maker and throws the ball on a line - which gives underneath defenders more chances to snatch his line drives. Bush and McFadden are a pretty nice tandem...

Defensively though, they may not be ready to stop the run. I think they'll give all teams in the division more fight than fans might expect. 7-9 is possible.

KC is a box of chocolates. I thought Herm did a great job of keeping his guys fighting in spite of the hopelessness of their season. I can't say whether Cassell is going to be any good or not. He's out of the NE system and has a new OC for the first time in his career. I really don't expect him to be all that great. I thought he would of been far better if he'd come to Denver to play with McPariah.

KC has a nice young nucleus on defense... hard to say, but my hunch is a 6 win season this year is all I can imagine for them.

Broncos have a season of turmoil ahead. I think McDaniels is going to get the worst reception ever afforded a new HC in the NFL. I expect the booing to shower down on him like a summer storm. If things go wrong? ...oye, it'll be ugly. And the probability is high... Marshall may well be dealing with another suspension, the defense hasn't improved in spite of your old new safety. Offensively, McDaniels doesn't have the type of offensive line he's used to fielding, so he's going to have to probably deviate from his standard offense this year while he rebuilds his roster.

He's got to get control of Jay, something Jay doesn't want...and the fans seem to support him on that?? I can't wait to see how this pairing unfolds as TC nears.
    Obviously, Denver is a proud franchise, so its hard to imagine a losing season, but that is likely going to be the result of what is a rebuilding year (or two). You guys give Cutler a bit too much credit and he's your main hope for a successful season. 7 wins.

And finally my Chargers...TOTAL DOMINATION!!!

J/k - I think they have a really tough schedule and I think 10 wins is about right. As you know, we have the highest rated passer in the NFL last year. He played behind an offensive line that was as bad as they've been in years. Our center and L tackle weren't healthy all season. Our RT was learning on the job and played next to a guard who's broken down. He's been replaced by Fourney - a Pro bowler who spent last year watching and healing.

The Chargers offense should benefit from a healthy line. LT is on a mission to prove he's not over the hill and Norv finally realizes what a weapon Sproles can be.

Defensively, Ron Rivera has taken over for the overmatched Ted Cottrel. I think the Chargers might throw out a lot of new wrinkles defensively since Rivera only learned the 3-4 last year and will likely shift between their based D and a 4-3. Of course, your favorite LB'er to denigrate is back and will be playing to show he's worth $100mil. We've got a weak D line and have issues at ILB and potentially Safety.

Add Merriman with Rivera's attacking defense and the Chargers D might be improved well enough to make them contenders for the big game.

Still, tough schedule and a Conference where nobody knows what to expect out of 3 of the 4 teams...

Chargers will win the division again and I expect the other teams to be in a horse race to the finish.
    Last edited by Binary Bolt Fan; 03-27-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Of course if the Broncos have a bad showing on offense, McD will probably say that his system is too complicated for the Denver players because McD does seem to be the type that can admit is share of the blame so he'll throw the offensive players under the bus and then take one out of town.

If the Broncos go to the playoffs and have a good showing, all will be forgotten.

You guys have no idea whats gonna happen this coming season. And have no idea to guess ether. We have no idea whats gonna happen with cutler there one reason. We just got another head coach among other coaches. We pretty much redone are entire D. So who knows. Are D could improve alot or might not. Are offense could improve to number 1 or stay at number 2. Who knows. There has been to many changes this off season to tell. All we can do is just wait and see.
    Thanks Tebow for everything that you did on your short time being a Bronco. I will always be a fan of yours no matter where you are at.

J Russell is pretty close to being a bust. He has twenty one turnovers in two seasons. He is horribly inaccurate, just as he was at LSU. He got hyped after beating a horrible ND defense, and possibly would not have been the starter the next year if he had stayed. I was happy the Raiders drafted him in the first place, because of the futility it meant for them. He did have three good games to close out the year though, so, maybe Im wrong.

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section