View Poll Results: Where would you like to see Peyton start?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starting RB (Majority of carries)

37 50.68%
  • Starting FB

28 38.36%
  • Back Up RB (Limited Carries)

8 10.96%
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Peyton Hillis

I love Hillis and really want him to be our starting RB in 2009!

Quote Originally Posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Many of you criticize Peyton Hillis' lack of speed.......yet you want a Runningback like Chris Wells, Glenn Coffee, Knowshown Moreno.......and THEY ARE SLOWER THAN HILLIS!!

Chris Wells ran an OFFICIAL 4.59 at the combine

Glenn Coffee ran an official 4.58 at the combine

Javon Ringer ran an official 4.53 at the combine

Knowshown Moreno ran an unofficial 4.55 and 4.63 at the combine

Rashad Jennings ran an unofficial 4.49 and 4.62

Shonne Greene ran an unofficial 4.65 and 4.63

and you're gonna hate on Hillis???

Hillis ran a 4.55 at the combine.......I need to find the link.
    But please dont call him too slow when you're campaigning for scrubs like the ones listed above
    You do know that 40 speed doesn't always translate to the field, right? I'm not saying Hillis is slow, but you can't say he's faster than those backs. He might be faster in shorts and a t-shirt, but last time I checked, they don't play in shorts and a t-shirt. Don't get me wrong, though, I love Hillis, I just don't know if he can make people miss, which means everytime he touches the ball the end result is a train wreck, and how many wrecks can his body take? I'd like to see him blowing up safeties and carrying the ball for 10 plus years, not 4 or 5 years.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
    There are two ways we can go with this fellas:

1) Hillis at RB; draft a good blocking/recieving FB such as Tony Fiametta out of Syracuse. Almost the same height, weight, speed, and ability as Hillis (6'1", 246 lbs, 4.61 40, great lead blocker who can also help in the passing game). Two powerbacks with good speed and soft hands = one scary backfield.

OR

2) Hillis at FB; draft a stud RB such as Knowshon Moreno/Chris Wells or underrated guys like Ian Johnson or my personal favorite Rashad Jennings. Very few RB's in this year's class are faster than Hillis and none of them are stronger or harder to bring down than him.

So I don't see why we wouldn't want a fast, 250 lbs wrecking ball as our starting RB. If Hillis is just as fast and explosive as most of these elite RB's who are considered home-run threats then why can he not be considered one? IMO if he gets past the second level of a defense there's a pretty good chance he'll bowl over (or even leap over) those remaining DB's and take it all the way.

I prefer option 1, but either way we'll be set for a long time so all of you need to stop bickering. We will have a dominant run game next year so you can all sleep easy with that knowledge, mark my words.
    I posted this exact same thing. Bring in Tony which they can probably get him in round 6 or 7 and keep Hillis at RB. They would be able to pound the ball at 4+ yards a pop pretty regularly and would have a couple nice receivers out of the backfield. Now that would be a power running game!

Quote Originally Posted by Odendahl View Post
    Here are some of the players I was talking about

Jamal Charles
    Ahmad Bradshaw
    Correal Buckhalter
    Tatum Bell (44 carries)
    Selvin Young

I wouldnt be comfortable with any of these guys starting on our team.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...S&d-447263-n=1
    Jamaal Charles Rookie,CAR=67 YDS=357 AVG=5.3 TD=0 FUM=2

the 2 games he started combined for 36 yards on 8 attempts, Had one big game against TB of 106 yards . Other then that his 67 attempts were spread threw out the year . Not one TD, TD's for 1 or 2 yards can hurt your average yardage. He doesn't show any tough running ability.

Only 2 games started, No TD's, 2 Fumbles , No consistency.

----
    Ahmad Bradshaw 2nd year CAR=67 YDS=355 AVG=5.3 TD=1 FUM=3
    Hasn't started a single game, 1/3 of his yards came off of one play of 77 yards, which did not result in a TD. His most notable game seems to be against the Seahawks, He ran 11 times for 65 yards, 31 of those yards and the TD was off of one play that game.

Consider he's had 3 fumbles, Has not started 1 game, 1/3 of his yardage is off of one play, Has only had 1 TD. Has trained to be a RB and is in his 2nd year.

-----
    Correal Buckhalter CAR=76 YDS=369 AVG=4.9 TD=2 FUM=0
    8th year starter, started 2 games, Best game was against the 49ers. With Westbrook starting its no wonder this guy doesn't get many shots. But He seems like a pretty good player

Consider this guy is in his 8th season. He seems like a guy I wouldn't mind. But has only started 2 games. It's a different story when the other team expects you to run. But I wouldn't mind this guy being on the Broncos squad from looking at his stats.

----
    Tatum Bell CAR=44 YDS=249 AVG=5.7 TD=2 FUM=0
    In his 5th season Started 3 games, biggest game against SD. We all know Bell, some of us like him, some of us hate him. When we played with him he was not in any way the focus of our offense. Teams didn't have to game plan for him at all. He still made some good runs though. I kinda liked Bell.

Consider with only about 1/3 the carries, only 2 TD's. The fact that I know personally he didn't get many tough yardage at all and went down very easy. The fact that he's in his 5th season and has trained to be a RB since college.The fact that his biggest game this year was vs SD that has no D.

----
    Selvin Young CAR=61 YDS=303 AVG=5.0 TD=1 FUM=1
    2nd season, Started 5 games split carries with Hall. Biggest game against SD with 78 yards most of which came off of one 41 yard run that did not result in a TD. We all know S.Young, personally I think the kid has a little potential.

With his biggest game vs the no D Chargers. Only getting 1 TD which meet with 1 Fumble. Being in his second season, training for RB since college and we know first hand he did not have tough yardage.

----
    Peyton Hillis CAR=68 YDS=343 AVG=5.0 TD=5
    Rookie, started 6 games, 5 in a row and didn't split carries. Biggest game against the Jets. NFL.com Seems to have missing stats for his Dolphins game. Other then that has a TD in all but one of his 6 starts. Very consistent, longest run is for 19yards, has a 18 yard TD run. Got hurt making a spectacular catch against KC. His first time playing RB since high school was when Torian went down vs the Browns. Ran 8 carries for 24 yards.Showed great progression since, running 10 times for 44 yards against the ATL, then 17 times for 74 yards against OAK, 22 times for 129 yards against the Jets, Then 8 times for 58 yards against KC in which he got hurt half way threw.

We won 4 of the 5 times he started at RB. He's been a FB threw college and had to play behind 2 big name college players. This is the first chance he's ever had to make a name for him self as RB, while limited I'd say he did an amazing job. Hillis has a lot of room to grow, way more then any of those other players. He was not in the shape he would have been in if he were training as a HB. other teams had the ability to game plan for him and when we lost him we lost our games.

S.Young Was our starting RB, and statistically Correal Buckhalter really doesn't seem that bad considering he plays behind Westbrook. But still the upside of Hillis crushes these guys. He's played against tougher teams then Young and much more consistently. Correal hasn't had a big game in any game he started in, which makes a difference if the other team is prepared for you to run. They were prepared for Hillis to run.
    http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...llisSalute.jpg

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

I thought Hillis looked fast enough to be a starting HB, but the thing I liked the most about him was the aptitude he gave our offense. We became a tough football team when he was in the backfield.

I think we should draft a guy later in the draft and let the best guy win the job, I don't however want us to waist one of our top 2 picks on a halfback. We have to many other needs and from what I seen of Hillis last year, even if we didn't get another back, I will be excited to see our rushing attack next year..

I'm glad he got his shot, If they give him an honest chance to win the starting job and someone beats him out, I can live with that.. But I don't think that will happen. If he has an off season to get ready to play HB, I'm sure he will be even better then last year. That is a very exciting thought

Quote Originally Posted by bklynbronco View Post
    first off ian johnson from bosie st. broke 4.3.
    it's people like you that make me not want to root for hillis and I love the guy. Get off the guys nut sack and let him be him. Some of you guys get into these mancrushes and take any critizisms towards certain players so personal.
    I like peyton but we need a another running back whether through FA or the draft because depth is important to me so getting more talent at the position is always welcomed.
    Take hillis jock strap off your face and see the bigger picture.

I wrote this in another thread and i think it pertains to this one too.

you guys fall in love with these players and don't see the bigger picture. what does what you do in the combine have to do with being the better running back? terrel davis ran 4.7 at the combine back in the day would you think hillis is better than davis? No. so relax.

I like peyton Hillis but you guys are making the rest of us not want him to succeed cause of these over the top mancrushes.
    Relax we will pick up another running back whether through FA or the draft and Hillis will be a part of a great running attack stoping making him out to be walter payton after one season
    I've gotta give you CP for that too. Great post!
    http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/photos/face3.jpg
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Quote Originally Posted by Odendahl View Post
    Has he ever had Hillis at FB?
    Hillis > Heath Evans

I'm sure he will adjust for the talent on the team and Hillis will get his 15 + touches.
    For the most part I agree, cept with the short yardage. We do need another RB. But we do not need to be focusing on RB's. You only have so many resources and we have to many holes to feel on D.

We need to find someone decent, but not expensive, someone that does not demand a top 4 draft pick, and we need to spend more time studying defensive prospects. So most likely that means Hillis will be the guy. We know he'll do good. But he might do amazing. If you look at his production from when he first started and how it just went up and up he could be one of the best if given a shot, I think.

But Hillis will have to earn his spot, I dont think any spot is just given to someone.
    http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...llisSalute.jpg

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
    im just gonna say this again since no one seems to listen: mcdaniels offense rarely lines up with a FB, and when they do its to be a lead blocker. something hillis is too undersized for and not very good at.
    If this is a verifed fact, or are you pulling this one out your you know what?
    First of all, we haven't seen McDaniels offense here in Denver. This is NOT New England, nor do we have its players in our roster
    Our offensive players are not molded to run the "New England" offense, we will have a modified version to fit our talent, but you can't call it New England's offense just because McDaniels

Another ignorant comment "Hillis undersized for a FB and not good at blocking?"
    No comments...
    Last edited by dragster69; 02-22-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
    I've gotta give you CP for that too. Great post!
    Thanks. I think too many people get caught up in one person instead of the team concept and how the rest of the league is developing. having more then one good back is the in thing now. picking up a quality RB whether through FA or the draft is not dissing the other guys on the team.
    Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Hillis is our John Riggins! :salute!:

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    When we draft Knowshon, i pray Hillis doesn't get to compete for the starting RB spot.

I don't want Knowshon to break Hillis' spirit by eliminating him..
    hahahahahahaha (it will be Donald Brown or Derrick Ward however)

back to FB!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Hillis is our John Riggins! :salute!:
    didn't they have joe washington on that team too?
    Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Quote Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
    Another ignorant comment "Hillis undersized for a FB and not good at blocking?"
    No comments...
    those arent my words, those were his pre-draft knocks and the words of both him and shanny. you really are showing your value around here though.

when all said and done

Denver WILL NOT draft a Running Back. ( at least in the first couple rounds)
    If any of you have noticed our defense is a ****in wreck. and hillis? Hillis already proved himself this season. and not too mention we have Young and Bell. Just get off this ****in subject already im so god damn tired of it
    ......[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boise State 2010 FIESTA BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
    those arent my words, those were his pre-draft knocks and the words of both him and shanny. you really are showing your value around here though.
    When you post something that is not "your words" you need to quote the source. You just can't pass other people's opinions as your own
    And to say Hillis is undersized when the guy is just as big as Daryl Johnston, Mike Alstott and John Riggins is ridiculous and I don't care who said it, because when you look at their careers, size was never an issue but an advantage...
    You would then have to regard Johnston, Alstott, and Riggins as undersized. Alstott and Johnston were FB's Riggins was a RB
    Last edited by dragster69; 02-22-2009 at 11:33 PM.