Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 184
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    547

    Stop assuming that this 'system' will turn us around...

    While I'm always optimistic about the upcoming season, I'm also a realist...

    We were terrible last year with the exception of our offense, and we have, arguably, gotten worse.

    We've brought in a bunch of washed-up defensive players who have never been stand out, with the exception of Dawkins. Even then, he's 36 and clearly lost a step.

    I wouldn't consider our defense any worse, but I certainly wouldn't consider it any more than marginally better.

    Our offense? Well, you're all familiar. We lost one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL (and no, just cause he isn't a Bronco anymore doesn't mean he now sucks) and brought in Orton, who, despite his now Bronco-status, isn't that good. He was in open competition with Rex Grossman and Brian Griese at one point and didn't win. Gives you an idea.

    We downgraded HEAVILY at the QB position and our offense will suffer.

    We added some much needed depth at RB, however, none of them are standout players. We proved last year that we have some quality players at the position (Hillis) and now we're stocked with average at best backs. We're looking at cutting a few because of roster spot issues, so we won't even be keeping them all.

    Other than that, our team is pretty much intact from last season.

    Now, Josh McDaniels doesn't have some 'magical' system that is going to turn Orton and our offense into something unstoppable. No, this 'system' (a style of offense) worked because of the immense talent on that offense -- not because he's an offensive guru with some magical playbook that the rest of the NFL just doesn't know about.

    If it was as flawless as some of you make it sound with your predicted stats for Orton next season, EVERY team would be doing it.

    Look at what that style of offense did with Tom Brady in it. Undefeated season and numerous records. A FRANCHISE quarterback.

    Look what that virtually identical offense did with Cassell at the helm? Stats that were far from jaw-dropping, missed the playoffs, and weren't spectacular.

    Sure, Cassell had a decent year - statically though, Tarvaris Jackson of the Vikings was on track for a better year, and I don't think ANYONE here would consider him a good quarterback.

    Sorry for the rant, it's just been a long offseason, and all the people banking on this 'system' to turn Orton into a Pro-Bowl quarterback, and lead us to the playoffs are getting annoying.

    We're worse than we were last year. And last year, we were bad.


    Thank you Skywalker for the Marshall sig!

    Thank you Damien and Darrent for the memories. You will never be forgotten!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,659
    It's as realistic to think we will do better than it is to think we will do worse. You can make arguments for both. Why not just wait to see what we do in the draft and pre-season before yelling the sky is falling and doom and gloom all over the board.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by broncofanatik View Post
    It's as realistic to think we will do better than it is to think we will do worse. You can make arguments for both. Why not just wait to see what we do in the draft and pre-season before yelling the sky is falling and doom and gloom all over the board.
    All of what the OP said, plus new coaching staff and stressing that we have new schemes on both sides of the ball and over 15 new players, none of which are blockbuster? A bit much to overcome in one season, wouldn't you say? It's great to be positive but realism, I believe, resides with the fact that we are not better than last year... Hope is what we have. Hope that on any given Sunday, we come out on top. Hope that what we show on paper doesn't mean squat on the field. Yup, hope is what we have.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,257
    Why does Orton have to turn into a pro bowl QB for the Broncos to be successful ?

    Orton never was in a open competition with Griese and Grossman and the Bears never really gave him much thought until after Grossman started stinking it up even though the team was winning nearly every game he started.


    I hate to break it to you but besides overall passing yardage Cutler really didnt set that high of a bar .

    Ive never seen one player get so much credit for doing nothing .

    Mia,Ten,Bal all made the playoffs without having a pro bowl QB.

    We didnt lose nearly as much as you think . Where is jays votes for offensive mvp ? league mvp ? Nowhere to be found because his 4000 yards overall were meaningless in the over scope of the nfl especially when you consider the attempts . There are probably 15-20 QBs in the nfl that would throw for 4000 yards if you let them throw 600+ times and didnt care about how many picks they threw . Youve been duped WAKE UP.

    Im sure Pitt fans would trade there SB for a pro bowl appearance or Big Ben .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by McKeough View Post
    Now, Josh McDaniels doesn't have some 'magical' system that is going to turn Orton and our offense into something unstoppable. No, this 'system' (a style of offense) worked because of the immense talent on that offense -- not because he's an offensive guru with some magical playbook that the rest of the NFL just doesn't know about
    And our offense isn't talented? I think I could give you a pretty good argument of how our offense is actually more talented than NE's offense that finished 3rd last year. Even if you say that Orton/Cassel is a wash (I believe that Orton is better), I still think we have a more talented offense than NE's last season.

    So why won't the "system" work for us?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,491
    First of all, you can't compare Jay Cutler with Tom Brady. Brady is a multi-time Pro Bowl QB who threw 50 TDs against 6 INTs in 2007. Cutler is closer to Cassel. We are still searching for a franchise QB to lead us to the playoffs since Jake Plummer was benched and traded. Byron Leftwich could be considered as much of a franchise QB to Jacksonville as Jay Cutler to Denver. Leftwich played 4 seasons for the Jaguars, being the starter for 3 years. Cutler only played as the undisputed starter for 2 seasons and failed to win when it mattered. I doubt he will put the same stats playing for the Bears. They like to run a lot (Forte ran for 1200+ yards averaging only 3.9 ypc), the system is not QB-friendly, their OL is average at best and their WRs are still learning how to run routes and catch the ball. Maybe we will not see rocket throws anymore but if we see less mistakes and better decision making we can even win more games. McDaniels did a great job in New England. In Denver, the OL is better and maybe younger, we have plenty of capable WRs and two good TEs. Why would he fail? I don't want to know how many yards Cutler and Cassel piled up, because yards mean nothing if you don't score. In the end, Cutler threw only 4 more TDs than Cassel and 7 more picks. Cassel had better QB rating and completion %. They had the same 7.3 passing avg. We still have a lot of ammo in the Draft, these picks will be key to our success. With these four 1st round picks, we can build our 3-4 defense much faster than expected. Our chances are good.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by acpell671 View Post
    All of what the OP said, plus new coaching staff and stressing that we have new schemes on both sides of the ball and over 15 new players, none of which are blockbuster? A bit much to overcome in one season, wouldn't you say? It's great to be positive but realism, I believe, resides with the fact that we are not better than last year... Hope is what we have. Hope that on any given Sunday, we come out on top. Hope that what we show on paper doesn't mean squat on the field. Yup, hope is what we have.
    Not exactly. As McDaniels said in an interview while back, our offensive production was actually pretty bad. We were something like 29th in scoring after week 3 which is horrible. Our kickoff game and defense is absolute trash. I can see with the additions on defense we are already better, so that's hopeful. New system or not the defense will be better. As for offense, new system can only increase our production. Sure we wont throw for near as much yards, but if that translates rather into scoring more, i'm fine with it.

    Sure we lost our amazing qb, but looking at history of our new coaches it leads to optimism not pessimism.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by KO8pectate View Post


    Ive never seen one player get so much credit for doing nothing .

    Do you really believe that? Seriously? Or is that anger talking?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    851
    one question: how many times this season did cutler chuck it to marshall long with scheffler sitting wide open 20 yards down field with NO ONE around him?

    that wont happen anymore, and it was arguably the most frustrating thing about watching football. the defense CANT really get worse, it would be near impossible, and under mike nolan i expect them to get better atleast. having a coach who understands the importance of defense is huge.

    we could have a better year than last year for sure.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,491
    Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
    one question: how many times this season did cutler chuck it to marshall long with scheffler sitting wide open 20 yards down field with NO ONE around him?
    And Stokley, and Hillis... The same used to happen back in 2007. For example, with Mike Bell...
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    6,013
    ill assume what ever the hell i want

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by broncofanatik View Post
    Not exactly. We were something like 29th in scoring after week 3 which is horrible.
    Offense is not the only side of the ball that scores. This quote came into discussion some time ago and I have yet to see anybody post the actual stats for this.

    Scoring stats often reflect ST & Defense as well. We were either 10th or 11th in offensive scoring last season. Hardly terrible considering we didn't have the power back getting the tough goal line yards for most of the season and a place kicker that couldn't make anything between 40-49 yards.

    It would be interesting to see the defensive scoring stats for our team vs. other teams in the league during that period of time. Not being a stat monger myself, maybe someone can post some supporting data for this.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North America - the antithesis of Sharia
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by broncofanatik View Post
    It's as realistic to think we will do better than it is to think we will do worse. You can make arguments for both. Why not just wait to see what we do in the draft and pre-season before yelling the sky is falling and doom and gloom all over the board.
    Because that's something a reasonable, thoughtful, calm, rational,unemotional fan would do.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by acpell671 View Post
    Offense is not the only side of the ball that scores. This quote came into discussion some time ago and I have yet to see anybody post the actual stats for this.

    Scoring stats often reflect ST & Defense as well. We were either 10th or 11th in offensive scoring last season. Hardly terrible considering we didn't have the power back getting the tough goal line yards for most of the season and a place kicker that couldn't make anything between 40-49 yards.

    It would be interesting to see the defensive scoring stats for our team vs. other teams in the league during that period of time. Not being a stat monger myself, maybe someone can post some supporting data for this.
    He was saying we were 29th scoring in the league AFTER WEEK 3. Yes, you're right we were 11th in OFFENSIVE scoring at the end of the year, meaning we were probably more like 20th or so offensive scoring after week 3, which still isn't too impressive.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by iowabronco24 View Post
    He was saying we were 29th scoring in the league AFTER WEEK 3. Yes, you're right we were 11th in OFFENSIVE scoring at the end of the year, meaning we were probably more like 20th or so offensive scoring after week 3, which still isn't too impressive.
    Still don't see the stat. Just a guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •