Page 118 of 119 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1782

Thread: Weather 101

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    The wind goes away today with highs in the 40s and 50s.....
    One of my coworkers is near Amarillo. She hasnít been able to work much because the wind keeps causing her internet to go out.

Back down to 36 today here in Madison. A ton of snow melted during the past few days. That combined with some rain, we're having some issues with flooding.

My wife's uncle has a bunch of apple trees on his parcel of land that are totally swimming in water. Not looking good for the future harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    One of my coworkers is near Amarillo. She hasn’t been able to work much because the wind keeps causing her internet to go out.
    She'll be able to work today and through the weekend....
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    "Let's just give them Keenum for an, "I owe you".

looks like an earthquake hit here in certain areas just outside of town.

Welcome Back! #85

That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    looks like an earthquake hit here in certain areas just outside of town.

Spring is here!!!! Already had several tornado warnings posted by the NWS several funnel clouds reported.

So far it's all been to my southwest.. But it's moving this way...

I LOVE this type of Denver weather. Sunny and a tad cool! But not cool enough you have to wear a jacket!

Gonna be WINDY today. Good fire weather
    We got a lot of fuel left over from last year.....

Whoa!!!! Talk about some temperature change! Dang near 90 yesterday, 28 currently with 19 for the wind chill....

Major storm just went through. I get concerned when there's that much rain coming down, so I look at the ceiling to make sure there's no leaks, check the sump pumps (we inherited a leaky basement, so several years ago, we had a French drain put in and a second sump pump. Never knew what one was and had never seen a cockroach before. MD is so educational) and so on. Everything is fine, except there is water coming from the ceiling in the basement. Can't find water on the main floor. Have no idea where it's coming from. Puzzling.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Major storm just went through. I get concerned when there's that much rain coming down, so I look at the ceiling to make sure there's no leaks, check the sump pumps (we inherited a leaky basement, so several years ago, we had a French drain put in and a second sump pump. Never knew what one was and had never seen a cockroach before. MD is so educational) and so on. Everything is fine, except there is water coming from the ceiling in the basement. Can't find water on the main floor. Have no idea where it's coming from. Puzzling.
    Sorry about that P. I am not an expert, but you may want to check your house exterior for obvious leaks, as in places that are not properly safeguarded....ie. caulked. If you have a deck or other attached structure, check where it is secured to the house. The secured area may not be flush anymore.

It does not sound like a roof leak, but again, not an expert. And because it only happens in a rain event, it may not be a plumbing concern.

Maybe check out the sometimes useful sites on google.

If in doubt, and continues to happen, I'd spend a few dollars to have an expert come look. it may not be an issue yet, but at some point you might want to ensure that the moisture is not gathering.

Not helping much, but it might be less complicated than you may think. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Sorry about that P. I am not an expert, but you may want to check your house exterior for obvious leaks, as in places that are not properly safeguarded....ie. caulked. If you have a deck or other attached structure, check where it is secured to the house. The secured area may not be flush anymore.

It does not sound like a roof leak, but again, not an expert. And because it only happens in a rain event, it may not be a plumbing concern.

Maybe check out the sometimes useful sites on google.

If in doubt, and continues to happen, I'd spend a few dollars to have an expert come look. it may not be an issue yet, but at some point you might want to ensure that the moisture is not gathering.

Not helping much, but it might be less complicated than you may think. Good luck.
    Thanks for the ideas, Can.

We do have a porch out front. Hubby did find a moist spot on the main floor in that area. It might not ever happen again because it was such a massive amount of water in about 10-15 minutes, but we do need to check it out.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, Can.

We do have a porch out front. Hubby did find a moist spot on the main floor in that area. It might not ever happen again because it was such a massive amount of water in about 10-15 minutes, but we do need to check it out.
    Hope it works out. Could just be a massive, unlikely downpour, as you say. We've had some heavy storms over the years, and where we once lived, one time the water filled up our window well so fast that water sneaked through, down the wall in the basement and down the drain, which was nearby. The good news was that it happened in an unfinished space, where the insulation was loose enough that it did not get wet. A rare storm. But I have learned to keep window wells clear of clutter, and I have a cover for them.

Sometimes we learn the hard way....and sometimes we get lucky in the process.

Absolutely a beautiful day here in the Texas panhandle...so far. Of course, that can change in 5 minutes....

It's an absolutely beautiful day here in the NE Texas panhandle. I should be horseback doing cowwork somewhere.....

While rain in this country is a blessing........we have had plenty and a 14 day break would be greatly appreciated as there is corn and cotton to plant and calves to drag......

National Weather Service recap of Tuesdays weather...

Overview

The May 7th severe weather event was, like all sizeable severe weather episodes, the culmination of multiple meteorological factors coming into place at the same time. In the days leading up to the event, rich moisture was brought northward from the Gulf of Mexico, resulting in showers and thunderstorms on both May 5th and May 6th. On May 7th, an upper low moved into the Four Corners, causing a surface area of low pressure to develop across New Mexico. The Panhandles were on the east side of this area of low pressure, setting up winds out of the south and southeast which brought in additional moisture and warmed temperatures through the morning and afternoon hours. This escalation of both temperature and moisture gave the atmosphere increased energy for storms. Furthermore, the approach of the upper low led to an upsurge in wind speeds aloft out of the southwest. The difference between these southwesterly winds aloft and the southeasterly winds at the ground, known as wind shear, escalated through the daytime hours. Finally, a surface front, augmented by cold air rushing out of thunderstorms over Kansas very early Tuesday morning, pushed south into the Panhandles. This front stalled out and retrograded back to the north under the influence of those southeasterly surface winds. This stalled front would provide an additional focus for thunderstorm development.

Strong storms began to fire around noon and quickly became severe, with the first severe thunderstorm warning issued at 12:33pm. The first report of severe weather, quarter size hail 5 miles south of Masterson, came in at 1:12pm. Storms began to increase in number after 1:00pm, becoming numerous after 2:00pm. The largest hail reports of the event were received at 2:02pm, when baseball size hail fell near Lake Meredith and Fritch. With wind shear increasing through the afternoon, a few of the storms became tornadic, with the first tornado touching down 9 miles south-southwest of Spearman at 3:42pm. Five subsequent tornadoes occurred, two associated with a particularly nasty supercell that spawned multiple tornadoes along a line from between Plainview and Hart northeast through Alanreed. The bulk of the storms pushed eastward into Oklahoma after 9:30pm, although a couple additional rounds formed behind them, which had a few cells become severe. The last of the thunderstorms shifted into western Oklahoma after 2:00am.

Tornadoes:

6 confirmed tornadoes touched down in the Texas Panhandle on May 7th. At this time, all tornadoes were rated EF0. It is important to note that the Enhanced Fujita scale is a damage scale - if a tornado encounters no sturdy well built structures, a low rating will be issued. Finally, it should be noted that a couple persistent tornado myths, that tornadoes cannot cross river valleys or that tornadoes cannot form in river valleys, were conclusively shown in this event to have no factual basis. The Canadian River Valley tornado formed and traveled entirely within the valley. The Wayside tornado crossed Palo Duro Canyon. If you think your town is protected because it is in a valley, on top of a hill, near a hill, in a small depression, etc., it is not. This, however, is no reason to live in fear...
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 05-09-2019 at 06:34 AM.