Page 102 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1836

Thread: Weather 101

Hmmmmmm.......a few hours ago we hit a wind chill of -46C or about -51F

Have to say, since beginning of December, this is one of the worst stretches of snow/cold ever! It appears Northern California and other states are having a bad go of it (weather-wise) as well. Hang tough!

Here I was thinking we had it bad at 3 °C / 37 °F but -46 °C.. that's nuts. No wonder you were asking for an escape plan (vacation ideas) the other day!
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Here I was thinking we had it bad at 3 °C / 37 °F but -46 °C.. that's nuts. No wonder you were asking for an escape plan (vacation ideas) the other day!
    You know it bud! The escape plan is being formulated in the laboratory!!! Trouble is always around how much beer I have to supply my full time sitters!!

As an aside....I am soon venturing outdoors (windchill has risen slightly better than -40C!!!) to remove snow from my roof. This is what we do up here!!!
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-13-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hmmmmmm.......a few hours ago we hit a wind chill of -46C or about -51F

Have to say, since beginning of December, this is one of the worst stretches of snow/cold ever! It appears Northern California and other states are having a bad go of it (weather-wise) as well. Hang tough!
    Egad, sorry bud! A weakened polar vortex is at least partly to blame. In an ironic twist, a consequence of ongoing climate change allows for this arctic air blocking buffer to take an increasing amount of leisure time off...allowing for brutally cold air to sneak down to lower latitudes.

While so much of the rest of the world will bake and broil, other parts can plunge into prolonged deep freeze. Me thinks you need to revisit your plans to escape to someplace toasty...how to beet winter.

I remember -35C (before wind chill) New Year eve in Finland.

I was staying outside of the downtown area and mostly used public transit to get around. Friends told me, yeah buses are running extra late. They were right. What they didn't mention is that I had to wait about an hour in the cold before my bus would leave. It sad there idling and empty mocking me while the driver waited inside in the warmth of the bus depot before his route began.

I can't remember how many jumping jacks I did that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Egad, sorry bud! A weakened polar vortex is at least partly to blame. In an ironic twist, a consequence of ongoing climate change allows for this arctic air blocking buffer to take an increasing amount of leisure time off...allowing for brutally cold air to sneak down to lower latitudes.

While so much of the rest of the world will bake and broil, other parts can plunge into prolonged deep freeze. Me thinks you need to revisit your plans to escape to someplace toasty...how to beet winter.
    Haha....I see what you did there!

It was around -40 C/F (that's where C and F meet) when I showed off to my wife, arthritic joints and all, and did my roof snow clearing. Thing is, my showing off does not get me much, other than frozen toes/fingers and a few pains. You see, I am miles behind her in the business of "chores".

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I remember -35C (before wind chill) New Year eve in Finland.

I was staying outside of the downtown area and mostly used public transit to get around. Friends told me, yeah buses are running extra late. They were right. What they didn't mention is that I had to wait about an hour in the cold before my bus would leave. It sad there idling and empty mocking me while the driver waited inside in the warmth of the bus depot before his route began.

I can't remember how many jumping jacks I did that night.
    Interesting how 2 Californians have responded to my message of cold! I dare say, but I would love to be in your beautiful state as we speak.

Did you folks get any bad weather in southern Cal recently? I know they did to the north.

Losing your team is bad news enough!
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-13-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Haha....I see what you did there!

It was around -40 C/F (that's where C and F meet) when I showed off to my wife, arthritic joints and all, and did my roof snow clearing. Thing is, my showing off does not get me much, other than frozen toes/fingers and a few pains. You see, I am miles behind her in the business of "chores".

Interesting how 2 Californians have responded to my message of cold! I dare say, but I would love to be in your beautiful state as we speak.

Did you folks get any bad weather in southern Cal recently? I know they did to the north.

Losing your team is bad news enough!
    There was an “atmospheric river” event that hammered central/northern Cali over the course of last weekend – big time rain. Original forecast called for catastrophic flooding in Yosemite National Park (a Merced River high water mark of 23 feet…rivaling the `97 El Niño flood as the worst on record), luckily, it was nowhere near that. It has been a wet winter, however…Long Beach broke a rainfall record yesterday when we received an almost incomprehensible 1.5 inches of rain, shattering the previous record of 1.3!

I’m loving the cooler wetter winter weather (say that three times fast) here…more often than not, it’s just boring dry heat with a cloud to look at from time to time. Seriously, the seasons here are like watching paint dry - this is a rare winter where it actually FEELS like winter...it's bliss.

Hope you guys to the north can warm up pretty soon. Minus 50 wind chill is old man winter taking a sledgehammer to the joints.

There was an “atmospheric river” event that hammered central/northern Cali over the course of last weekend – big time rain. Original forecast called for catastrophic flooding in Yosemite National Park (a Merced River high water mark of 23 feet…rivaling the `97 El Niño flood as the worst on record), luckily, it was nowhere near that. It has been a wet winter, however…Long Beach broke a rainfall record yesterday when we received an almost incomprehensible 1.5 inches of rain, shattering the previous record of 1.3!

I’m loving the cooler wetter winter weather (say that three times fast) here…more often than not, it’s just boring dry heat with a cloud to look at from time to time. Seriously, the seasons here are like watching paint dry - this is a rare winter where it actually FEELS like winter...it's bliss.

Hope you guys to the north can warm up pretty soon. Minus 50 wind chill is old man winter taking a sledgehammer to the joints.
    Geez bud, your weather is abnormal. But I am glad you are getting some variety, which is something I know you treasure.

Interesting how many of us want only to fly somewhere, and hope to just see a cloud or two while we are there. But variety is the spice of life, and what appears wonderful needs to be assessed against the true moderators of life.....time and interests. Time relates to the seemingly never ending seconds that we experience in our lives, which can turn a relatively good thing into something of contempt over long periods (as the saying goes, "familiarity breeds contempt") and "interests" are a simple way of saying that most of us need them, but need variations thereof. So for me, the exact same weather, even the best of it, can start to unnerve a person......whereas those of us who long for it, can not believe our luck when we are absorbed by it for shorter durations...as in a vaca.
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-13-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Geez bud, your weather is abnormal. But I am glad you are getting some variety, which is something I know you treasure.

Interesting how many of us want only to fly somewhere, and hope to just see a cloud or two while we are there. But variety is the spice of life, and what appears wonderful needs to be assessed against the true moderators of life.....time and interests. Time relates to the seemingly never ending seconds that we experience in our lives, which can turn a relatively good thing into something of contempt over long periods (as the saying goes, "familiarity breeds contempt") and "interests" are a simple way of saying that most of us need them, but need variations thereof. So for me, the exact same weather, even the best of it, can start to unnerve a person......whereas those of us who long for it, can not believe our luck when we are absorbed by it for shorter durations...as in a vaca.
    That really is absolute truth.

Everything is a product of relativity – everything being relative to frame of reference. I have family close to the Canadian border in Washington, and we visited many years back. Often very rainy and perpetually cloudy…my grandmother comes running into the house, exasperated, “COME QUICK! EVERYONE! YOU WON’T BELIEVE THIS!!!” We all run behind her out of the house to the front yard…she excitedly points up at the moon (visible between a break in the clouds). “LOOK…THE MOON!!!!!!” She exclaims, almost hyperventilating. All of my family that lived there, ooohhh’d and awed at the sight of the moon. My immediate family whom lives in Southern California all look at each other and go, “ummmmm…ok?!?” Up there, apparently, seeing the moon at night is a rarity…something we completely took (and take) for granted in our neck of the woods.

I totally understand how people could be envious of our weather out here. I just miss having seasons (all sun and no rain makes Jack a dull boy)…familiarity breeds contempt indeed.

That really is absolute truth.

Everything is a product of relativity – everything being relative to frame of reference. I have family close to the Canadian border in Washington, and we visited many years back. Often very rainy and perpetually cloudy…my grandmother comes running into the house, exasperated, “COME QUICK! EVERYONE! YOU WON’T BELIEVE THIS!!!” We all run behind her out of the house to the front yard…she excitedly points up at the moon (visible between a break in the clouds). “LOOK…THE MOON!!!!!!” She exclaims, almost hyperventilating. All of my family that lived there, ooohhh’d and awed at the sight of the moon. My immediate family whom lives in Southern California all look at each other and go, “ummmmm…ok?!?” Up there, apparently, seeing the moon at night is a rarity…something we completely took (and take) for granted in our neck of the woods.

I totally understand how people could be envious of our weather out here. I just miss having seasons (all sun and no rain makes Jack a dull boy)…familiarity breeds contempt indeed.
    Love our conversations!

Maybe we flip homes for a few weeks each year?!?!

Love our conversations!

Maybe we flip homes for a few weeks each year?!?!
    Ditto that, my friend

Done deal! I’ll even shovel your roof off for ya!

Ditto that, my friend

Done deal! I’ll even shovel your roof off for ya!
    OK.....maybe 4 weeks......one for each season here. You'll love it!!! So will I!!!

Rainy. Dark. Gloomy.

Beautiful !
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Well, don't ask me how the science works, but `ol scrunchy face saw his shadow...so six more weeks of winter!

Well, don't ask me how the science works, but `ol scrunchy face saw his shadow...so six more weeks of winter!
    Good winter or bad winter?

BTW.....time for me to watch Groundhog Day (although just like him in the movie, I have done that too many times!!)