Page 12 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather 101

Why did it snow so much????!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
    Why did it snow so much????!!!!!

So that Santa can land silly.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Wouldn't they just fly to a different airport and bus in?
    I didn't hear the report, but hubby says it's because they couldn't get out of Chicago. Maybe they can bus to an open air port and fly from there?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
    We've been in the upper 40's for about a week now and most of our snow has melted.

You all stay safe back east.
    It's still coming down. They're talking possible blizzard conditions later. Everything's closed today and tomorrow.

It's so pretty.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

If the blizzard wasn't here, I could have a caught a flight out of Richmond today and still made the game, but instead on my attempt to get to a Broncos game.

I was more worried about Denver weather.... This sucks, at least my wife is gonna take me tomorrow and buy me a new tv to help with the recovery process, if the snow lets us out...
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

***Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Quote Originally Posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
    If the blizzard wasn't here, I could have a caught a flight out of Richmond today and still made the game, but instead on my attempt to get to a Broncos game.

I was more worried about Denver weather.... This sucks, at least my wife is gonna take me tomorrow and buy me a new tv to help with the recovery process, if the snow lets us out...
    Major League Bummer Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Freak out?!?

You should see the madhouse out there!

No hot chocolate on the shelves...traffic jam in the parking lot....

I'm going to hibernate. Not because I can't drive in the snow, but because they can't.

I've heard 12-16 inches.
    Oh God, thats why I dont think I could ever live anywhere else other than AK.. People get a few inches of snow, even a foot and the whole city/town shuts down, people freak out and cant drive to save there own lives.. I was down in a "snowstorm" in Denver a few years back and even there people were freaking out..

We've gotten up to 2 feet of snow before in a single night and still had to go to school the following day.. Really makes people here a little upset when places get 3 inches and school and work gets cancelled..

Hell, in Valdez, Alaska, a town of a little more then 4000 people just had over 6 feet fall in 3 days and school still wasnt cancelled... Unreal..
    WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Quote Originally Posted by dandaman23 View Post
    Oh God, thats why I dont think I could ever live anywhere else other than AK.. People get a few inches of snow, even a foot and the whole city/town shuts down, people freak out and cant drive to save there own lives.. I was down in a "snowstorm" in Denver a few years back and even there people were freaking out..

We've gotten up to 2 feet of snow before in a single night and still had to go to school the following day.. Really makes people here a little upset when places get 3 inches and school and work gets cancelled..

Hell, in Valdez, Alaska, a town of a little more then 4000 people just had over 6 feet fall in 3 days and school still wasnt cancelled... Unreal..

You should see Las Vegas when it simply rains.

I didn't hear the report, but hubby says it's because they couldn't get out of Chicago. Maybe they can bus to an open air port and fly from there?

It's still coming down. They're talking possible blizzard conditions later. Everything's closed today and tomorrow.

It's so pretty.
    It's not so pretty now.

After digging out all morning---still digging.

Nope. Not pretty.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

It's not so pretty now.

After digging out all morning---still digging.

Nope. Not pretty.
    They were showing the Baltimore area this morning on our news. Good Grief. That is a LOT of snow.

Thought some of you may enjoy this.. Its Snowzilla, a local resident here builds this massive snowman every year, despite the cities effort to stop him saying its a safety hazard..

WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Thought some of you may enjoy this.. Its Snowzilla, a local resident here builds this massive snowman every year, despite the cities effort to stop him saying its a safety hazard..

That is so cool!

Thanks for sharing.

I can understand the safety concern. I'd hate to have that head fall on me.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

I remember in college, in Meteorology, our prof gave a presentation on snow flake formation, and how a snowflakes formation is determined (partially) by temperature of the water and the height at which it freezes.

For some cool scientific reading on snowflake formation:
    http://chemistry.about.com/od/molecu.../snowflake.htm

Generally, six-sided hexagonal crystals are shaped in high clouds; needles or flat six-sided crystals are shaped in middle height clouds; and a wide variety of six-sided shapes are formed in low clouds. Colder temperatures produce snowflakes with sharper tips on the sides of the crystals and may lead to branching of the snowflake arms (dendrites). Snowflakes that grow under warmer conditions grow more slowly, resulting in smoother, less intricate shapes.

32-25 F - Thin hexagonal plates
    25-21 F - Needles
    21-14 F - Hollow columns
    14-10 F - Sector plates (hexagons with indentations)
    10-3 F - Dendrites (lacy hexagonal shapes)
    I think the stuff bolded is why snow seems to hurt more in cold weather. The snow flakes can actually be sharp

Okay, science lesson over!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

okay, so I lied

(Supersaturation means humidity)...so the more humid it is, the more complex the shape of the snow flake.

But basically...this shows you what kind of flakes can form at different temperatures in the atmosphere.

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

I used to live in snow country on shores of Lake Superior in Michigan's U. P. where they used to get around 250 inches of snow fall a year. Every February during Michigan Tech's winter break, they hold an event called Winter Carnival. The fraternities and sororities compete in ice sculpture competitions all around the city of Houghton. It's actually a pretty cool experince to drive through the city and see all of the ice sculptures around town.

Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

Thanks for the lesson, BFI. Very interesting.

TH, that's amazing.

I went and did my Christmas dinner shopping today. Ran out of room in the fridge.

So...I put the pies and a thing of OJ out on the deck, in a pile of snow.

All this snow is good for something.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness