Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 1822

Thread: Weather 101

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Yes....we were just getting into the beautiful colour stage, and this wintery storm may rob us of what I tend to find the best season of the year.

It will melt next week I'm sure, but not sure the impact on those beautiful trees/leaves.
    Fall is just too "short" to be my favorite season, but October is one of my favorite months alongside May when they aren't "Wintery", that is. One of my favorite things to do is drive up into the mountains and see the aspens turn, but I don't think we're going to get those gorgeous vistas around here this year.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Fall is just too "short" to be my favorite season, but October is one of my favorite months alongside May when they aren't "Wintery", that is. One of my favorite things to do is drive up into the mountains and see the aspens turn, but I don't think we're going to get those gorgeous vistas around here this year.
    Looked out the window and see a large tree with broken branches.

I sure won't miss all the leaves we had at our old place. Especially in what may appear to be a more sudden and wintery dropping of them. Don't want to have them settle in all winter, and then have to attend to the mess in spring.

Hey Gman…..how would you compare the weather in Denver vs where you lived, in Cali? I don't mean this exceptional weather situation, I mean overall. I would assume that they are both quite good, year round. Probably a bit premature to ask, but now that you've experienced some of it. I know you wanted distinct seasons, so I feel you will definitely lean to Denver.
    Oh, having seasons is so awesome! Love seasons!

An added advantage is, it actually feels like time passes slower. You feel the passage of time more as the weather changes from season to season...at least that's my experience. In Southern California, every day feels almost identical and the seasons just blur together.

Definitely love it out here - this place is heaven!

Stay warm - bon hiver, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Yeah it was 19F in Santa Fe this morning when only yesterday afternoon I was breaking a sweat removing a massive chamisa bush! I just hope it didn't turn the leaves of the cottonwood trees here brown and rob us of our colorful Autumn --again, dang it!
    I'm worried about the same thing! The cottonwoods out here are just turning a nice shade of orange. Hope the leaves don't all fall off in a few days!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Oh, having seasons is so awesome! Love seasons!

An added advantage is, it actually feels like time passes slower. You feel the passage of time more as the weather changes from season to season...at least that's my experience. In Southern California, every day feels almost identical and the seasons just blur together.

Definitely love it out here - this place is heaven!

Stay warm - bon hiver, bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    I'm worried about the same thing! The cottonwoods out here are just turning a nice shade of orange. Hope the leaves don't all fall off in a few days!
    Watching the local news/weather and there are loads of trees down already, some on houses, cars, but hopefully no people. Many of the trees look like thinker ones, so this snow, ice combo must be exceptional.

Note: between you and Paul (and some others) it's good to see the band back together!!!

Now that I've been out and about, there are a few things I assess from this winter storm (given my nearly 7 decades):

1) Earliest ever winter storm in this area
    2) Latest ever opening of our floodway (that reroutes higher water from The Red River around the city)
    3) Most damaged trees ever! (mainly caused by heavy, wet snow and wind)

The recent snow storm has possibly damaged 50,000 or more trees in this city....given there are 30,000 trees on public property alone that have been impacted. Everywhere I go, I see broken branches, and sometimes, totally ruined trees.

Current estimates suggest it will take as much as 10 years for the "canopy" within this city to be restored. I hope that to be true, because we are also in a fight to save Elm and Ash trees, due to bug infestation/fungus. Sad.

Special Weather Statement
    National Weather Service Amarillo TX
    317 AM CDT Wed Oct 23 2019

OKZ001>003-TXZ001>020-317-232100-
    Cimarron-Texas-Beaver-Dallam-Sherman-Hansford-Ochiltree-Lipscomb-
    Hartley-Moore-Hutchinson-Roberts-Hemphill-Oldham-Potter-Carson-
    Gray-Wheeler-Deaf Smith-Randall-Armstrong-Donley-Collingsworth-
    Palo Duro Canyon-
    Including the cities of Boise City, Keyes, Guymon, Beaver,
    Forgan, Dalhart, Stratford, Spearman, Gruver, Perryton, Booker,
    Higgins, Follett, Hartley, Channing, Dumas, Borger, Miami,
    Canadian, Vega, Amarillo, Panhandle, White Deer, Pampa, Shamrock,
    Wheeler, Hereford, Canyon, Claude, Clarendon, Wellington,
    and Palo Duro Canyon
    317 AM CDT Wed Oct 23 2019

...WINTRY WEATHER FOR MANY OF US ACROSS THE PANHANDLES LATE
    TONIGHT INTO THURSDAY...

An upper level storm system will dive southeast across the Rockies Today and then across the Panhandles on Thursday. A cold front will push through the region today, but then another push of colder air will arrive overnight. As the storm system approaches, snow is expected to develop over the western Oklahoma Panhandle and the northwest Texas Panhandle after midnight tonight. Snow is expected to develop across the western and central Texas Panhandle Thursday morning and then it should spread east during the day.
    Snowfall amounts are expected to be around an inch or less for much of the Panhandles. However, a band of heavier snow, maybe 1 to 3 inches, may develop from southwest to northeast across the Texas Panhandle along and either side of U.S. Highway 60.

A shift in the track of the storm system may cause the band of snow to set up further north or south.

Please stay tuned for later information about this developing winter weather system.
    Might be a little chilly and wet when we wean calves Thursday...
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 10-23-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Been snowing for bout 3 1/2 hours now. Nice wet snow that will actually do some good. 3" and counting..... We were only supposed to get 0"-1"...
    Adopted player Lindsey

It's official, we have gotten more snow today (since 1300 CDT) than we got all of last winter. We've gotten over 4" so far and it's still snowing.
    Adopted player Lindsey

The recent snow storm has possibly damaged 50,000 or more trees in this city....given there are 30,000 trees on public property alone that have been impacted. Everywhere I go, I see broken branches, and sometimes, totally ruined trees.

Current estimates suggest it will take as much as 10 years for the "canopy" within this city to be restored. I hope that to be true, because we are also in a fight to save Elm and Ash trees, due to bug infestation/fungus. Sad.
    Ugh, that sucks Dave. That is a ton of trees from one very early storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Ugh, that sucks Dave. That is a ton of trees from one very early storm.
    Thx for taking the time Brent!

There is one positive....they say that many of the trees that were damaged, were weak as is, therefore the new growth will make for a stronger, healthier canopy.

Well the blizzard of '19 was short lived....
    The snow will be completely melted off today.
    These are my kind of snows, no drifting, nice and wet and gone in 48 hours.......
    Adopted player Lindsey

Merry Halloween from Wisconsin. Woke up to 4 inches of wet snow. Nobody is very happy about it.

I still love to drive around in it in my Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Merry Halloween from Wisconsin. Woke up to 4 inches of wet snow. Nobody is very happy about it.

I still love to drive around in it in my Jeep.
    I hate slushy snow!

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders