Page 52 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather 101

What's the difference between a French drain and an American drain??

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
    What are french drains?
    French drains. Ours goes around the perimeter of the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Make sure you get the drywall and carpet out....that's what I do for a living, so please don't hesitate to ask for advice if you guys don't want to pay for a restoration contractor....ok?
    Thanks, Al. I appreciate the advice. Our basement is partially finished. Really no damage. Hubby had to use the ShopVac to get the water up. The water went around the carpet.

I feel sorry for our neighbor, though. They had a crew out yesterday. And, we have another thunderstorm going right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post
    What's the difference between a French drain and an American drain??
    Henry French.

To the rest of you all.

We have another weather related situation (I think). A sink hole happening in the street in front of the house next door. They've worked on it for the past month or so but it's getting worse. Pavement cracking and sinking.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    I did some pretty substantial french draining myself, and if we get enough water (like when it rained for 3 days earlier this year) It fills up and eventually comes up THROUGH the floor. Kind of maddening but there's really not a whole lot you can do to alter the water table where you live. I'm thinking about building up the floor so it could all run underneath and back to the drains, but the ceiling down there are only about 7 1/2 feet anyway.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    French drains. Ours goes around the perimeter of the basement.
    Wow. I never knew.

I actually built something similar to this for our gutters. I created drainage paths in 4 locations and one even has a small bridge to step on as you travel the pathway.

Interesting. And here I thought I was just clever and stuff.

We rarely have the need for them since it's so dry in the summer and winter time they just freeze over but come spring time melting, the plan works.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
    Wow. I never knew.

I actually built something similar to this for our gutters. I created drainage paths in 4 locations and one even has a small bridge to step on as you travel the pathway.

Interesting. And here I thought I was just clever and stuff.

We rarely have the need for them since it's so dry in the summer and winter time they just freeze over but come spring time melting, the plan works.
    Yeah, Maryland has educated me on sump pumps (why is there water in a hole in the basement?), when there's any development they have to dig a hole where the water can drain into it (instant man-made pond) and don't forget my favorite little cockroaches.

Oh, and I never had any allergies until I got here.

So why am I still here?
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Yeah, Maryland has educated me on sump pumps (why is there water in a hole in the basement?), when there's any development they have to dig a hole where the water can drain into it (instant man-made pond) and don't forget my favorite little cockroaches.

Oh, and I never had any allergies until I got here.

So why am I still here?
    Yeah roaches love water.I seen a lot when i was in Oklahoma and Texas.In Texas they call them water bugs,the Big ones that crunch when you step on them.In Oklahama the roaches have wings,they like to fly.

Last edited by BroncoSexyDaddy; 08-21-2011 at 10:42 PM.

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    Yeah roaches love water.I seen a lot when i was in Oklahoma and Texas.In Texas they call them water bugs,the Big ones that crunch when you step on them.In Oklahama the roaches have wings,they like to fly.

When I lived in pittsburgh they used to come out of my sink drain faster than I could kill them. On the 7th floor Always put a cup on it at night... hard to sleep knowing they were there... waiting...

Storm that just blew through Houston could be deemed first "real" storm of the year and worst since Ike blew through. Especially near my area of Cypress Lightning was ungodly, striking everything.

Because of a certain poster*cough*theMileHighGuy*cough*, I can't come into this thread anymore.

Such horrible memories.

Not until that picture is buried, anyway.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

I'll help bury the picture!

Blurgablurgablurg.....

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    I've had a few fly on my back before and yes...they get bigger than you might think. We do call them water bugs because if you see them that big it's usually during/after a storm or where there's alot of water buildup for a while. I hate them so my brother used to throw them on me for fun.

Sig pic by dbfan2007

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
    You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
    Have It All - Blu3
    Conceited - Blu3
    Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
    All On You - Blu3

It has been close to 110 degrees for the past couple of weeks here in AZ. It has been like Hell.
    Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhailor View Post
    It has been close to 110 degrees for the past couple of weeks here in AZ. It has been like Hell.
    We've been hitting the mid 90's for the past couple of days which is well above normal. Although today, we have several thunderstorms moving through to cool things off.

Everyone is focused on

1) Irene getting ready to smack the east coast. They get so much attention because of the population numbers.

2) Dallas and that heat wave that will not give them a break. Our daughter in San Antonio called and said... "We're dying here"
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Because of a certain poster*cough*theMileHighGuy*cough*, I can't come into this thread anymore.

Such horrible memories.

Not until that picture is buried, anyway.

You should've seen the one I was GOING to post lololol.

it was like 4000x3000 px

Definitely the highest definition roach ever

burying!

Quote Originally Posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
    You should've seen the one I was GOING to post lololol.

it was like 4000x3000 px

Definitely the highest definition roach ever

burying!
    to high def cockroaches.

Thanks for going with the smaller one.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness