Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Julius Pepper wants out of Carolina

Get him in here!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4121570

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- It would be understandable if Julius Peppers' teammates were angry.

First the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end announced he had "maxed out" in Carolina and would never sign a long-term deal. Then he sought a trade when the Carolina Panthers placed the franchise tag on him.

The latest act of Peppers' offseason of defiance came Friday when he was the only player missing from the start of the Panthers' three-day minicamp.

Yet it was impossible to find anybody visibly upset or concerned that the franchise's all-time sacks leader was in protest mode instead of accepting a guaranteed deal that would pay him more than $1 million a game.

"It's kind of what I expected. He hasn't signed his tender yet," coach John Fox said. "I know he's working out. He'll be in great shape."

NFL.com Video

Panthers GM Marty Hurney on franchised DE Julius Peppers.

Added defensive tackle Damione Lewis: "It's business. It doesn't make him a bad person. When he's ready to come in he'll be here."

General manager Marty Hurney remained confident there will be a happy ending of Peppers dressed in his familiar No. 90 jersey on the first day of training camp. Hurney said he remains in contact with Carl Carey, Peppers' agent.

"It's all been positive," Hurney said. "It just takes time."

Carey didn't return messages Friday. No trade involved Peppers at the draft last weekend, so Carey's options are limited. It's unlikely another team will sign him to a deal because that club would have to surrender two first-round draft picks to Carolina.

Because the 29-year-old Peppers hasn't signed the one-year, $16.7 million tender, Carey can negotiate a trade with other teams for less compensation. He would then have to come to the Panthers for approval.

But with the draft over, any picks Carolina would get would be for next year and not address the giant hole Peppers would leave on the defensive line.
    Last edited by dragster69; 05-02-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/photos/face3.jpg
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Pass, this guy is another "all about me" player and is locker room cancer. Keep him away from Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by roushmartin6 View Post
    Pass, this guy is another "all about me" player and is locker room cancer. Keep him away from Denver.
    What he said

There have been rumors about him wanting out for a while and I guess it's official now, I think if you put him in new surroundings his attitude might change, and I don't doubt McDaniels won't give him a shot.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/24et8v5.jpg
    Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
    RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
    Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
    -Kobe Bryant-

Quote Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
    Get him in here!
    well we have the ammo, two first round picks next year to work with to get him here, oh wait....nevermind

No thanks. He is overrated anyway- a good player, but not worth the money he wants.

For all you who say peppers is cancer you're wrong,the guy asked to be released before the free agency started. what did Carolina do , they franchised him. Next he asked to be traded, and Carolina didn't even listen to offers they even made it sound like they had actually worked everything out and were close to resigning him. This is in no way Peppers fault he handled the situation maturely, just like Tony Gonzales did, and as for skipping camp he has every right he has not signed with Carolina so technically he's not on the team, and nd you're FO did the exact opposite of what you wanted and said you were working things out you wouldn't want to play for them either. also a guy who is a 4 year pro-bowler is not overrated.

Plainly put, he wants out of Carolina and honestly, who can blame him?
    http://i38.tinypic.com/24et8v5.jpg
    Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
    RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
    Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
    -Kobe Bryant-

I'd rather us continue our move to the 3-4 and not sign a 4-3 DE. Especially when you sign him with the money he wants, and have no idea how well he'll handle standing up as an outside 'backer.
    [SIGPIC]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3317/dragonof4.jpg[/SIGPIC]

ya i can def see how he's 'overrated' n all..i mean 14 1/2 sacks BY HIMSELF def means he's overrated...he's not a cancer either. When have u ever heard of Peppers doing wrong in the locker room or saying bad things to the press?..he's only made clear to everyone that he DOESNT want to play for the Panthers. He's arguably THE best DE in the game and he wants to leave to better his game and take the challenge at the 3-4. so i dont see the problem if we were to throw a few dollars at him and bring him over....
    Julius Peppers 2009

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    For all you who say peppers is cancer you're wrong,the guy asked to be released before the free agency started. what did Carolina do , they franchised him. Next he asked to be traded, and Carolina didn't even listen to offers they even made it sound like they had actually worked everything out and were close to resigning him. This is in no way Peppers fault he handled the situation maturely, just like Tony Gonzales did, and as for skipping camp he has every right he has not signed with Carolina so technically he's not on the team, and nd you're FO did the exact opposite of what you wanted and said you were working things out you wouldn't want to play for them either. also a guy who is a 4 year pro-bowler is not overrated.
    Are you kidding me?

Players do NOT have the right to just say "release me, I don't want to play here". It doesn't work that way in the NFL, the Panthers have every right to franchise him and if he doesn't want to play then that's ALL his fault.

He hasn't handled it maturely, he's handled it like a baby like Jay Cutler did. I guess these "superstars" believe they're above everyone else in this league.

He doesn't have to play until 2/3 of the season is over with. He can sit out and not collect a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by avsfan987 View Post
    Are you kidding me?

Players do NOT have the right to just say "release me, I don't want to play here". It doesn't work that way in the NFL, the Panthers have every right to franchise him and if he doesn't want to play then that's ALL his fault.

He hasn't handled it maturely, he's handled it like a baby like Jay Cutler did. I guess these "superstars" believe they're above everyone else in this league.

I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed in Julius acting the way he is.
    IMO at this point it's all about love for the game than to see how much you can make before you can't play any longer.

He's made more than his share.

Most on our board simply see it like this :

He doesn't want to be in Carolina, no problem....as soon as we can get a deal done to our liking we will ship his a** off & get some players that WANT to be in Charlotte.

Yeah, he's a great talent at times etc.....but still, we can do better through draft picks & FA'S. :salute!:

Owner / http://www.panthercoalition.com/index.php
    [URL="http://www.carolinapanthercoalition.com"]http://www.carolinapanthercoalition.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
    No thanks. He is overrated anyway- a good player, but not worth the money he wants.
    overrated? Sure buddy 14 sacks is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLITTINGBUNS View Post
    overrated? Sure buddy 14 sacks is terrible.
    I watched all but 4 of the Panthers games last season. He probably tries on 20% of his plays. He puts up big numbers against terrible teams, but as soon as he faces a good tackle or gets bumped by a TE or RB he is completely taken out of the game. He is one of the laziest football players I have ever seen, plain and simple. He also disappears whenever he is needed the most. He simply has no motor, no burning passion. A shame because he is probably one of the five most talented athletes to ever play in the NFL; at least when he was younger. And how do you think his effort level is going to change once he signs a big fat long term contract? There are much much better things the Broncos can use their money and cap space on.