Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McSmashie View Post
    Big difference. The Colts were at where Denver wants to get to. You dont get six pack abs sitting on the couch and eating marshmallow fluff. It takes a little arse kicking to get a underachieving team into shape.
    I am just saying... Tony Dungy didnt have a "My way or the highway" attitude towards his team/QB... and he was successful.

Quote Originally Posted by the-shuffler View Post
    I am just saying... Tony Dungy didnt have a "My way or the highway" attitude towards his team/QB... and he was successful.
    Well, Im not coddling the Broncos is going to get them overachieve.

When Tony took over the Colts, they were already an offensive force. And Manning was an established star. So it is a completely different situation.

Our offense couldnt score and was completely overhauled in the off season. Our whole team was undisciplined.

I adopt andrewmlb.

I wonder if Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning had that kind of "Dungy's way or the Highway" relationship.
    Ill say this. It looks like JMD acquired talent he needs to implement his system. And now that the roster is pretty much set, it sounds to me like he is still evaluating talent and when that talent shows its merit, he will use the talent where it can be successful.

For instance, in his interview on db.com he was talking about who will be used in which situations and he had not been able to fully evaluate since they are not geared up in pads yet. But he said they will be used in whatever way their talents take them. That is not hard headed 'my way or the highway' type attitude. It's more, 'my way is your talent' which any player would relish. Tony Dungee is quite obviously the exception to the rule.... and for that matter so is Peyton.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Dungy didn't have a my way or hwy attitutude but he was firmly in control of his team and what he said went. he laso had the added benefit of being older with more experience both as a coach and a player behind him which helps tremendously in gaining respect from a team.

I disagree. He came to the Colts and turned them into a TEAM. Ask Edge if Dungy is a MWOTH coach.

Hooray, beer!

Dungy was buddy buddy with Manning because he is one of the best QBs of the modern era and Dungy is a defensive minded coach if any of you recall. It's not as though he was running the offensive juggernaut, it was all ready running itself when he arrived.

and Dungy probably didn't work as closely with Manning as McD will be with his QB's. That was Moore's job, so it was Moore they wanted Manning to get comfortable with, not Dungy.

So we should be looking at that relationship in my opion. And Dungy had complete control over the team, he just did it in a quiet manner, which can be effective.

McGenius

I'm sure McGenius knew what he was doing when he dumped our franchise QB. And I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he traded away one of our first round picks for who? After all of these great moves I can't wait to hear the same people singing the same tune in week 10 of our schedule. But wait, he's a McGenius and we don't need Cutler to beat Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Philly, and Indy.
    Last edited by broncoinseattle; 06-03-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by broncoinseattle View Post
    I'm sure McGenius knew what he was doing when he dumped our franchise QB. And I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he traded away one of our first round picks for who? After all of these great moves I can't wait to hear the same people singing the same tune in week 10 of our schedule. But wait, he's a McGenius and we don't need Cutler to beat Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Philly, and Indy.
    I understand your frustration. It can be difficult to accept big changes when you cant see all the inside workings.

But give him a chance. What if what he is doing works superbly well?

I adopt andrewmlb.

If McGenius is right...

I understand your frustration. It can be difficult to accept big changes when you cant see all the inside workings.

But give him a chance. What if what he is doing works superbly well?
    I'll be the first to admit I was completely wrong. I hope I'm completely wrong.
    But I'll go with my gut instinct......No franchise QB, rookie head coach, new offensive scheme, new defensive scheme. And a 2009 schedule loaded with Dallas, New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Indy, Philly, SD. We'll be lucky to go 7-9.

I'll be the first to admit I was completely wrong. I hope I'm completely wrong.
    But I'll go with my gut instinct......No franchise QB, rookie head coach, new offensive scheme, new defensive scheme. And a 2009 schedule loaded with Dallas, New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Indy, Philly, SD. We'll be lucky to go 7-9.
    Well, it is all in how you are looking at it. Im calling 8-8. But, to me, in a rebuilding year that isnt too bad.

Lets look at some of the teams on your list there. SD is getting older. LT and Merriman have declining skills and, well, they are coached by Norv Turner.

Dallas is imploding at the seams. They threw their best player to the curb and with all the off season turmoil, they could easily have a bad season. Not to mention team morale with their practice facility collapsing and seriously injured people in the organization and the bad kharma of their new stadium.

Indy has a rookie HC and new schemes as well. And a disgruntled QB who is publicly criticizing the coaching staff and the FO. They cut loose their long time best receiver as well.

Baltimore lost most of its defense and kept Ray-Ray who is declining in skill. They also lost Rex Ryan to the Jets, so their defense (the lynchpin of that team) could be shaky this year. We know their offense is ok at best and if we can move on their D, we have a good shot at eeking out a win.

I know some people are going to call me nutty, but these can be winnable games. Every year, surprising teams slide backwards and wins are found where they looked impossible before the season.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Well, it is all in how you are looking at it. Im calling 8-8. But, to me, in a rebuilding year that isnt too bad.

Lets look at some of the teams on your list there. SD is getting older. LT and Merriman have declining skills and, well, they are coached by Norv Turner.

Dallas is imploding at the seams. They threw their best player to the curb and with all the off season turmoil, they could easily have a bad season. Not to mention team morale with their practice facility collapsing and seriously injured people in the organization and the bad kharma of their new stadium.

Indy has a rookie HC and new schemes as well. And a disgruntled QB who is publicly criticizing the coaching staff and the FO. They cut loose their long time best receiver as well.

Baltimore lost most of its defense and kept Ray-Ray who is declining in skill. They also lost Rex Ryan to the Jets, so their defense (the lynchpin of that team) could be shaky this year. We know their offense is ok at best and if we can move on their D, we have a good shot at eeking out a win.

I know some people are going to call me nutty, but these can be winnable games. Every year, surprising teams slide backwards and wins are found where they looked impossible before the season.
    Well, I give you credit, you are taking the incredibly optimistic approach. Crazier things have happened I suppose. But I don't believe McD is a Bellichick Jr. and he will be run out of town just like all of the other Bellichick assistance. He's destroyed our team by trading Cutler, he screwed up the draft by trading one of our first round picks to Seattle for an undersized corner. It's McScrewup after McScrewup. But maybe he can make up for it on the field. But I highly doubt it.

Well, I give you credit, you are taking the incredibly optimistic approach. Crazier things have happened I suppose. But I don't believe McD is a Bellichick Jr. and he will be run out of town just like all of the other Bellichick assistance. He's destroyed our team by trading Cutler, he screwed up the draft by trading one of our first round picks to Seattle for an undersized corner. It's McScrewup after McScrewup. But maybe he can make up for it on the field. But I highly doubt it.
    Ive been a Broncos fan for 26 years. Trust me, Ive heard all these things before. But they were about Dan Reeves and then Shanahan. People bashed the Eddie Royal pick last year. See how well that turned out?

I know Im getting old, but change happens. We, as fans, dont always see the big picture because we get ESPN soundbytes and are constantly bombarded with talking heads analysts.

We dont know the scouting and the plan. We dont know the schemes. You could be judging a masterpiece by the cloth that is draped over it before it is premiered.

I will say this, in all the years I have followed this team, things work out in the end. There are rough patches, yes, but with a quality organization like the Broncos, they always rebound.

I think you will be surprised this year. Just an open mind until you see the product on the field.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I disagree. He came to the Colts and turned them into a TEAM. Ask Edge if Dungy is a MWOTH coach.
    Edge left because of money. He wanted it and they didn't have it to pay him. He didn't leave because of not listening to Dungy.
    2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Dungy didn't have a my way or hwy attitutude but he was firmly in control of his team and what he said went. he laso had the added benefit of being older with more experience both as a coach and a player behind him which helps tremendously in gaining respect from a team.
    You mean like the numerous times Dungy sent the field goal unit onto the field, only to be over ruled by Peyton Manning?