Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sporting News Head Coach rankings

Coaches rankings: Give it up for Bill Belichick

The top coaches are the grizzled vets who have proven their worth over time. But there are some young coaches who are pushing their way to the top and finding new ways to do things. The coaching tide is beginning to turn in the NFL.

RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, rank all the head coaches:

1. Bill Belichick, Patriots. The smartest coach in the NFL. No one does a better job of adapting schemes and personnel to the opponent on a week-to-week basis. He always finds a way to win the matchup game.

2. Tom Coughlin, Giants. Preparation is the key for the detail-oriented Coughlin. His team is ready to play every Sunday.

3. Andy Reid, Eagles. No matter what is going on in and around his team, Reid has the Eagles contending at the end of the season.

4. Jeff Fisher, Titans. In the NFL, no one gets to stay in one place as long as he has unless you are really, really good. A yard away from a Super Bowl title, he guided this team through a restructuring phase and back into contention.

32. Josh McDaniels, Broncos. No head coach, especially a rookie, makes his mark by trading away the franchise quarterback. McDaniels is already off on the wrong foot.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=556480
    Wish I could disagree with them, but I can't. McDaniels is probably the stupidest coach Denver has ever had.

Ouch.

How? Because he traded away Jay Cutler? One player doesn't make a team. John Elway lead a lot of Broncos teams to Super Bowls but they didn't win until they had TD, Shannon Sharpe, Ed McCaffrey, Rod Smith, an offensive line, and a smash-mouth defense. The people McDaniels has brought in through draft and FA are going to make a TEAM. I'd much rather have 32 players than 1. Chicago can keep Cutler. If we had Shanahan we'd also have Slowik, just think of it that way. Change was necessary, and when you have change you also have to take the good with the bad. We lost Cutler and gained excellent TEAM players and great coaches.

I think Bowlen should read the article, print it and put it in McD's office. He should also print every article that bashes our defense and put them in the locker room. Just to add more fuel to the fire, making them work even harder. Then, the regular season will come and they will show why analysts never worked for or got fired from NFL teams.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by One5 View Post
    How? Because he traded away Jay Cutler? One player doesn't make a team. John Elway lead a lot of Broncos teams to Super Bowls but they didn't win until they had TD, Shannon Sharpe, Ed McCaffrey, Rod Smith, an offensive line, and a smash-mouth defense. The people McDaniels has brought in through draft and FA are going to make a TEAM. I'd much rather have 32 players than 1. Chicago can keep Cutler. If we had Shanahan we'd also have Slowik, just think of it that way. Change was necessary, and when you have change you also have to take the good with the bad. We lost Cutler and gained excellent TEAM players and great coaches.
    Placing him at 32 makes all the sense in the world, at this point, from a non-fan's perspective. He started off on the wrong foot from the moment he signed Lonnie Paxton. He is an unproven coach and will not move from that spot until he proves that this system and philosophy change will make a championship team, or at least a competitive team.

Anyhow, this ranking stuff is just off season fodder. As fans, we have our own opinions about our team and this stuff makes no difference in how we perceive the Broncos. It just creates topics for discussion. It's also about a showing of respect towards coaches and organizations, something that was lost a little since Shanahan was fired. The only thing that will revive it is winning! :go:

Quote Originally Posted by One5 View Post
    McDaniels has done a couple head scratching things this offseason. It is not just the Cutler thing that makes him an idiot.

I love the Moreno pick, but if you are willing to trade a top 10 draft pick in 2010 for a second rounder why wouldn't McDaniels trade up to make sure we get BJ Raji? The defensive line has been dreadful here for the past 2-3 years.

I like what I have read about Alphonso Smith, but seriously... Is he worth a top 10 pick? Not IMO, especially when you need a franchise QB.

Was getting rid of Mike Leach really necessary? Yeah Lonnie Paxton is one of the best long snappers in the league, but so is Leach.

There are a few more weird things he did but seriously... He is the LAST head coach in the NFL that I want running the show here in Denver.

Good. That makes the stage set for everyone to call him a genius when he has success since apparently no one else thinks he has a clue.

I don't mind this at all. If they want to think our coach is stupid, I'm perfectly content to let them believe that. Hell, I encourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdubv724 View Post
    I love the Moreno pick, but if you are willing to trade a top 10 draft pick in 2010 for a second rounder why wouldn't McDaniels trade up to make sure we get BJ Raji? The defensive line has been dreadful here for the past 2-3 years.
    If McDaniels had the power to see in the future like you do, then he wouldn't even have to put his team on the field on Sundays because we would already be destined to have a top 10 pick.

Are you able to teach people this ability by the way? I could be really rich If I could see into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by avsfan987 View Post
    If McDaniels had the power to see in the future like you do, then he wouldn't even have to put his team on the field on Sundays because we would already be destined to have a top 10 pick.

Are you able to teach people this ability by the way? I could be really rich If I could see into the future.
    When you take the best player off of an 8-8 team you have a very good chance of picking in the top 10. Especially when that player happens to be a franchise QB.

nice to see norv getting some love from people who know how good a job he's done compared to the team's former HC

With no games played McDaniels is rated the worst of this years coaches. Seems to me this article should have been saved for another 8 months - minimum!

Only one thing to say about the author
    Current morale factor (on a scale of 1-10): -1000 and dropping like a lead balloon.

Reason: Thanks a lot Bowlen, McDaniels and Cutler!

I hate that McD traded away Cutler, but this kind of garbage just makes me hope we dominate this season so they will all shut up. But I'm used to the Broncos treatment by the media. We are the Rodney Dangerfields of the NFL, we get no respect.
    Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

When you take the best player off of an 8-8 team you have a very good chance of picking in the top 10. Especially when that player happens to be a franchise QB.
    Cutler wasn't the best player on the team. Champ, Clady, Hillis, DJ, Hamilton, Marshall, and Royal I would put in front of Cutler.

As for your other post about McD being the stupidest coach ever in Denver...give me a break. I think McD made a mistake when he tried to get Cassel but since then he has put together a good TEAM of players that wants to be here and will play well together as a TEAM. Cutler is and will be a good QB but he seemed more concerned with himself and not the team as a whole. I am very happy with the direction the team is taking now. I like the attitude. I like the unselfishness of the players. I like the potential for the future. When the team starts winning and shows the success of this system and the personnel moves will you recant your statement and say maybe McD does know what he is doing? :go:

You act like we have the exact same team as last year minus Cutler.

The only thing that is staying similar from last year is the players on the offense.

EVERYTHING else, and I mean EVERYTHING, is going to be different.

Our chances of finishing in the bottom 10 teams of the league is the exact same as every other team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Good. That makes the stage set for everyone to call him a genius when he has success since apparently no one else thinks he has a clue.

I don't mind this at all. If they want to think our coach is stupid, I'm perfectly content to let them believe that. Hell, I encourage it.
    lets just hope they're all wrong