Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheComeBackKid View Post
    I think it's a team with a solid defense that does not need an elite QB
    ok, you bring up an excellent point. let me rephrase my statement.

If a 'offense' has good weapons like receivers, TEs, and a running game, one does not NEED a franchise QB. A solid team player that has a brain to run the game will win more games and superbowls than a franchise QB with only one tool.
    KO is Da Man!!! always knew he had it in him. :orton:

Quote Originally Posted by username1 View Post
    I think it helps, but an elite QB is bolster the team that is around him more than an elite team would bolster a below average QB.
    I am inclined to disagree with you only because we have a prime example in Big Ben. I don't think Roethlesberger is an "elite" QB. He's very good, and he has moments of brilliance, but he also has some very disappointing games. What does he have to show for it? Two rings. It isn't the Steeler defense alone that won, either. He has a lot of talented weapons around him.

But for the most part, an elite QB does much more for an offense. I just don't know if I would crown Cutler as elite without seeing what he does in Chicago.

Supporting McD since 2009.

Adopted Bronco....Daniel Graham!

Adopted by Chillez! :salute!:

Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    What exactly does this have to do with my post?

I was all for a coaching change. I haven't been for a lot of the stuff that has happened since the coaching change.

Either way, this coaching staff doesn't even compare to our best coaching staff until they prove something.
    It obviously had to do with what you said earlier about the Shanahan coaching regime, and this one. I was wondering if you were for the coaching change or not. I personally think it was due.

As far as this regime goes, I agree that they have a lot to prove. However, they haven't provided proof of greatness or being bad. That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by RodSmithRules View Post
    I am inclined to disagree with you only because we have a prime example in Big Ben. I don't think Roethlesberger is an "elite" QB. He's very good, and he has moments of brilliance, but he also has some very disappointing games. What does he have to show for it? Two rings. It isn't the Steeler defense alone that won, either. He has a lot of talented weapons around him.

But for the most part, an elite QB does much more for an offense. I just don't know if I would crown Cutler as elite without seeing what he does in Chicago.
    I wouldn't say it was all the defense but they were two of the best defenses in the history of this league. There is a reason he can post stuff like 20 QB ratings and still win games.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    It obviously had to do with what you said earlier about the Shanahan coaching regime, and this one. I was wondering if you were for the coaching change or not. I personally think it was due.
    No, it didn't. Our SB coaching staff was completely different than this past years one. The only people the same are three guys we kept on this new staff and Shanahan.

You could be right, but I would just like to bring up a few examples and tell me what you think.
    Carr era Johnson and Texans vs Schaub era Johnson and Texans. Schaub isn't even in the elite class yet, but he rose Johnson's stats by about 25%. The Texans also have two straight .500 years after years of being afterthoughts.

Leinart era Cards vs Warner era cards Warner took over and the team has won some games.

Maddux and Stewart era Steelers vs Roethlisberger Steelers, the Steelers have always had great D, but once Ben came around the team started finding success. He hasn't had very good weapons either, Hines been a good WR but not spectacular(unless you watch his blocks), but who is his #2? The Steelers Oline was much worse than the Bears was last season, and when Willie Parker is injured, about 40% of a season, they have the Vikes 3rd string castoff in there, Mewelde Moore.

When you find an elite QB it looks much easier to replace key players and keep your O functioning than when you have no elite QB.
    Steelers losing the bus and Burress, but Ben kept them on track. Seahawks lost Alexander and the left side of their Oline, but Hasslebeck kept them competitive. You take the QB out of those equations and I feel those teams would have collapsed after losing key components.
    Last edited by username1; 06-26-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Smack Talk in GD FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by darth-hideous View Post
    Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
    Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

Quote Originally Posted by username1 View Post
    You could be right, but I would just like to bring up a few examples and tell me what you think.
    Carr era Johnson and Texans vs Schaub era Johnson and Texans. Schaub isn't even in the elite class yet, but he rose Johnson's stats by about 25%. The Texans also have two straight .500 years after years of being afterthoughts.

Leinart era Cards vs Warner era cards Warner took over and the team has won some games.

Maddux and Stewart era Steelers vs Roethlisberger Steelers, the Steelers have always had great D, but once Ben came around the team started finding success. He hasn't had very good weapons either, Hines been a good WR but not spectacular(unless you watch his blocks), but who is his #2? The Steelers Oline was much worse than the Bears was last season.

When you find an elite QB it looks much easier to replace key players and keep your O functioning than when you have no elite QB.
    Steelers losing the bus and Burress, but Ben kept them on track. Seahawks lost Alexander and the left side of their Oline, but Hasslebeck kept them competitive. You take the QB out of those equations and I feel those teams would have collapsed after losing key components.
    Good point, but I think we need to be careful when doling out the "elite" tag. I'm not saying Ben is bad. Quite the opposite, in fact. He is a very good QB. But my question is could he be as useful to an offense that did not have the supporting cast he has?

Some QBs are system QBs. The thrive in that system because it caters to their specific abilities. In Ben's case, he is more of a game manager, and the offense in Pitt, which is more run oriented ("smash mouth," as Cowher called it), he is exactly the kind of QB that will succeed in that offense.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Warner is a gunslinger...not quite a Brett Favre kind of slinger, but he puts some mustard on the ball. That offense which, for the moment, has Fitzgerald and Boldin, is far more pass oriented than run oriented.

Are they elite because of their systems? I would say no. Warner, maybe, but not Ben. When I think of elite QBs, I look at the old school guys like Marino and Elway who did not always have a stellar offense around them. But they made it work because THEY were the center of the offense. When Elway finally had some weapons, look what he was able to accomplish. In the same vein, Marino never really had the tools to take him to the next level. That seems to be the road that guys like Donovan McNabb are on.

I'm not saying Cutler is or isn't an elite QB, but I am leaning toward the latter. Some guys have the physical talents, but they lack other intangible qualities. Or in some cases, a great QB is stranded because of the players around him and you'll never really know if they could've been successful or not.

Supporting McD since 2009.

Adopted Bronco....Daniel Graham!

Adopted by Chillez! :salute!:

Good point, but I think we need to be careful when doling out the "elite" tag. I'm not saying Ben is bad. Quite the opposite, in fact. He is a very good QB. But my question is could he be as useful to an offense that did not have the supporting cast he has?

Some QBs are system QBs. The thrive in that system because it caters to their specific abilities. In Ben's case, he is more of a game manager, and the offense in Pitt, which is more run oriented ("smash mouth," as Cowher called it), he is exactly the kind of QB that will succeed in that offense.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Warner is a gunslinger...not quite a Brett Favre kind of slinger, but he puts some mustard on the ball. That offense which, for the moment, has Fitzgerald and Boldin, is far more pass oriented than run oriented.

Are they elite because of their systems? I would say no. Warner, maybe, but not Ben. When I think of elite QBs, I look at the old school guys like Marino and Elway who did not always have a stellar offense around them. But they made it work because THEY were the center of the offense. When Elway finally had some weapons, look what he was able to accomplish. In the same vein, Marino never really had the tools to take him to the next level. That seems to be the road that guys like Donovan McNabb are on.

I'm not saying Cutler is or isn't an elite QB, but I am leaning toward the latter. Some guys have the physical talents, but they lack other intangible qualities. Or in some cases, a great QB is stranded because of the players around him and you'll never really know if they could've been successful or not.
    Gotcha. I completely agree that certain systems will benefit certain QB's more. A coach can really help his QB by building the type of offense to help him thrive.
    Another problem is lack of a consensus on elite. I suppose my definition of "elite would be multiple super bowl appearances as a key piece of the offense(I know that this counts out Manning BTW). If you haven't taken your team all the way to the super bowl at least 2x than you are just another above average QB in my eyes.
    That being said Roethlisberger has had sub par weapons IMO, but the smashmouth style of the Steelers suits him perfectly. He has a problem with picks, and Pitt's passing game is never top tier, but he keeps plays alive with his feet and can muscle through defenders trying to sack him like few other QB's. He also comes up with clutch plays consistently. This fits Pitt's style perfectly, he is a threat to run or pass the ball and keeps the D from playing to just element of their O.
    My thinking is that every QB needs to be in the right system to maximize their potential.
    Last edited by username1; 06-26-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by neckbeard View Post
    Kyle was very much still a "work-in-progress" at the end of 2007. But then he started out 2008 as much more than just a legitimate starter.
    Legitimate starter.... which is probably what most would can an average NFL starter. Someone good enough to start, but not great or elite.

Now that he's had the off-season to recuperate from his ankle injury, there's no reason to think that he won't be able to resume playing at that same level.
    But how was Orton able to play at such level? You keep telling me how hard it will be for Jay in Chicago.

Why is Cutler considered a "franchise QB?" Because I don't think he's anywhere near it yet. To me, a franchise QB is someone like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Brett Favre. I think it's laughable to try and put Jay Cutler in the same class as those guys when he hasn't even posted a winning record yet. He's really in the middle third of the pack, not an elite QB like you and others seem to think.
    Favre isn't a franchise QB anymore. Cutler is considered one because he was one of the best QB prospects to come around in a while. Each year he got better. He's coming off a year where at age 25 he threw for 4,526 yards and 25 TD's. So to anyone who's not you. He's shown nothing but signs that he will continue to fulfill his potential. Where as you saw a 25 year old QB do these things, and act like he's 32 and still hasn't learned from his mistakes.

And Orton is just an everage starter? Well, I suppose that's an upgrade over when the Kyle-bashers proclaimed him not to even be a servicable backup. But I think it's much more than an "average starter" who could ignite the Bears less-than-mediocre Offense when the Defense was stumbling so badly and Special Teams was having an off-year.
    Kyle Orton didn't ignite this offense. Matt Forte did, but that's besides the point. Kyle Orton IS an average starter. This is not an insult so stop taking it as such. What is wrong with being good enough to start in the NFL? He doesn't do anything special. He's not insanely talented. You'll get average starting QB production out of him. Maybe if he takes to the system he'll make a Pro Bowl or two. Most guys in the NFL that start are average starters.

It seems like the guys who most want to prove that Orton isn't really good are the ones who were huge fans of the guy he replaced, Sexy-Rexy fanboys in Chicago and now the Jay-boys here in Denver.
    Who said Orton isn't good? Do you realize what it takes to be just an average NFL starter? Not too many people in the world can claim this. If you think he's better then average. Where do you put him? The way you talk about him I'd think Orton was the next Elway.

Oh, and I'm just saying that as of now Kyle is on a par at least with Jay.
    Which simply just isn't true. Go ask NFL fans on other boards. Regardless of what you think of Jay as a person, or like Orton because he's a nice guy. That doesn't chance the fact he's no where near Cutler's production/talent/ability. That doesn't matter though because Orton doesn't need to be Cutler. To say he's on par with him is crazy.

Jay had better get used to having " tackles couldn't stop a pillow from blowing through the line," because that's what Chicago's line is like. Looks like it's going to be a rough year in Chicago for Jay.
    Kyle Orton with the Bears O-line was lighting up the world, according to you. So now with Jay they've gotten worse? When the opposite is actually true. Orlando Pace will start at left tackle instead of St. Clair. Chris Williams our 1st round pick in 2008 to be our franchise left tackle. Who missed all of last year is now healthy. He'll be starting at right tackle instead of John Tait. We even upgraded at guard. Not to mention Cutler will make life easier on the O-line by being mobile. So how is this going to be a rough year in Chicago for Jay, but Orton that you love so much succeeded in it?

Jay is more physically talented than Kyle. Apparently that's all you see in your contention that "everyone who breaks down game film agrees that Jay is a better QB than Kyle."
    He's more talented, and has produced much more then Orton. Cutler can make plays Orton couldn't dream about. Why is this hard for you to accept? Just because Orton isn't as good as Cutler, doesn't mean you can't be excited about Orton.

However, Kyle does have some not inconsiderable talents of his own. And he's smart enough to know how to use them successfully within an offensive system. Jay just doesn't match up at all with Kyle as far as the mental aspect of the game goes. That's where KO levels the playing field and then some. Kyle reads Defenses much better, can audible well at scrimmage, checks down quickly, uses the pocket effectively and is willing to take what a D gives him rather than force a bad play.
    Kyle Orton doesn't do everything well. If he honestly did all those things you just said, he'd still be in a Bears uniform. He has shortcomings, he has flaws, but he can still get the job done for you. Just not as well as Jay, but if you put a good team around Orton. That wouldn't stop the Bronco's from winning a Super Bowl.

I think all we can do as Broncos fan is pull for Orton to do his best. Obviously he isn't a franchise QB, and he isn't the next Elway, and he isn't a stunning, flashy player with talent that makes D coordinators vomit a little bit in the back of their throats when watching him on film. Cutler did lots of that.

The simple fact, for Broncos and Bears fans, is that Jay Cutler was eventually traded because #1 he didn't fit our dink and dunk system and #2 he acted like a little child just when his team needed him most: in a state of transition. I'm sure the kid has leadership skills, he took Vandy that far when they were so horrible, but there is little doubt that he has not fully exhibited those leadership attributes in the NFL. He appears very much the opposite. It's hard to say he isn't a leader, but it's hard to say he is at this level.

Orton does not have a stronger arm Elway. Thank God for that, because I'm sick and tired of hearing Cutler homers and analysts drool over how good Cutler is at his position, when in reality he has a losing record, the only stat that truly defines a QB's success. SD fans are correct in one aspect; Rivers has been the better QB thus far. Orton does not have the quick feet Jay did in the pocket, and I'm betting we'll say little to no bootlegs or run outs with Orton. The point?

McDaniels made it abundantly clear that he didn't need a player like Jay Cutler to win football games.

I'm anxious to see what Orton can do. Maybe he can be THE GUY for our system, and maybe it'll work like it did with Cassel. That's all we can hope for.

NECKBEARD!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Lone Ranger

Member #970 of the Knowshon Fan Club. Championship!

[I]Shanny Fan? McDaniels Fan? I'm a Denver Broncos Fan!!![/I]

[B]NECKBEARD![/B]

Kyle Orton in Purdue (2004): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DlbW5_fwFI

This video shows Orton playing closer to McDaniels' offensive style. Pretty good mobility and some nice throws.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

While I think it's admirable the argument that some of you are putting up that states that Orton is better than Cutler... after reading this I can't help but think that the people posting those things actually believe it. Seems more like they are just putting up the argument to win the argument than because it's something they actually believe.

This is coming from a fairly big Orton fan... Kyle Orton is a standup guy who improved a lot to be able to compete on the NFL level... but he isn't going to be going to any probowls any time soon. The Broncos can win with Orton just like the Bears can win with Cutler... it was a win/win trade. There doesn't have to be a winner and a loser in the trade... both teams have an opportunity to improve themselves with the trade.
    Understand that I am a Bears fan but also that I have followed Orton's career. His ability to improve himself makes him a very easy guy to cheer for. I am here because I will continue to cheer for Orton unless his success interferes with the success of the Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobear View Post
    While I think it's admirable the argument that some of you are putting up that states that Orton is better than Cutler... after reading this I can't help but think that the people posting those things actually believe it. Seems more like they are just putting up the argument to win the argument than because it's something they actually believe.

This is coming from a fairly big Orton fan... Kyle Orton is a standup guy who improved a lot to be able to compete on the NFL level... but he isn't going to be going to any probowls any time soon. The Broncos can win with Orton just like the Bears can win with Cutler... it was a win/win trade. There doesn't have to be a winner and a loser in the trade... both teams have an opportunity to improve themselves with the trade.

That's a great post.......they might each actually work better in their new systems as well.......no I'm not trying to say Orton is better, but I am saying he might thrive in a game management system, whereas Cutler thrives more in a system where he is expected to make plays.

Make no mistake about it, he will be expected to make plays in Chicago from time to time. They didn't pay a king's ransom for him to come in and just manage games and throw the ball 18 times per contest.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!