View Poll Results: Will Brandon Marshall play for the Denver Broncos in 09?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

27 26.73%
  • Yes

79 78.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 102 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Brandon Marshall (Merged)

B-Marsh's best friend and current Jacksonville WR is coming to Marshall's aid, and speaks out from everything involving the McDonalds bag indecent to his current holdout. Very interesting read...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11884998

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Imagine this: Your best friend, a man who has cried alongside you through each of your gut-wrenching heartbreaks over the past couple of years, is now taking a beating in the court of public opinion far worse than any he has taken on the football field as an NFL receiver.

That's the situation Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Mike Walker is in right now since Brandon Marshall, the Denver Broncos Pro Bowl receiver, happens to be his best friend. As the football world -- including many in the media -- tears Marshall apart, some of it due to self-inflicted wounds, Walker wants to stand up for his friend.

His message, one he will tell to anyone, is this: Brandon Marshall is not a bad guy.

"For them to bash him the way he's being bashed does hurt," Walker said. "I know him. I know how he is. He isn't a bad guy. He isn't what they are saying he is."

But to hear others talk, especially after events of the past couple of years, the name Brandon Marshall is synonymous with evil.

He's the latest to step forward and fill the role of diva receiver, a supposed malcontent, a look-at-me player who only cares about himself and somehow seems to stay in the headlines -- mostly due to bad off-field behavior.

Marshall has stayed in the legal system since he came to the Broncos three years ago. He has been arrested three times, been accused of hitting his girlfriend and had some other domestic issues. He was also arrested for DUI two years ago.

That led to a league-imposed suspension for one game last season, putting him clearly in the crosshairs of those who judge.

A recent report on ESPN portrayed Marshall as abusing his former girlfriend, even striking her. Marshall denied the report and also relayed to the network that the girlfriend asked for money in exchange for dropping the charges.

Walker knows both well. He said there is no way Marshall hit the woman.

"Never in my life have I seen him put a hand on a woman," Walker said. "I know he didn't do that. I know Brandon wouldn't do that. Brandon has taught me a lot about how to treat ladies, about opening the door and stuff like that. He would never hit a woman."

I asked Walker, in his third season with the Jaguars, if he had a sister. He does. So I asked him if he would let Marshall date his sister.

He didn't hesitate.

"Definitely," he said. "And that's the God honest truth."

Walker and Marshall have known each other since they were seniors in high school. They were roommates for three years at the University of Central Florida and played the same position. A bond developed, one that continues with daily phone calls.

"He's my brother," Walker said. "He's my best friend."

When Walker tore up his knee as a junior at UCF, he broke down on the bench. Tears flowed for both.

"He was crying with me and then went back in and helped us win the game," Walker said. "That's him."

Marshall was there when Walker lost his father to cancer last year. Walker also lost a close friend in a bar shooting a short time before that. Marshall was in attendance when Broncos corner Darrent Williams was killed after an incident at a bar, so they have something else in common -- sadly, losing a friend way too early.

The fact that Marshall was at the bar that night, and he admitted that an altercation involving his cousin had something to do with the shooting, only enhances the thinking that trouble follows him, fair or not.

That's why when Marshall suffered a serious gash to his arm when he fell through a television set while wrestling with his brother, the football world came down hard on him. Some questioned whether it was really an accident, even though Marshall insisted it was.

Walker was there. He swears it was an accident.

"What did he do so wrong?" Walker said. "He was playing around with his brother and slipped and fell. What's so wrong with that?"

Despite the injury, and that one-game suspension, Marshall was once again one of the NFL's best receivers last season, proving he was not just a one-hit wonder in 2007. He has had more than 100 catches each of the past two seasons, hauling in 226 passes in that time.

That's why he wants a new deal and it's why he stayed away from the team's recent minicamp. Marshall has two years left on a deal that is set pay him around $2 million in 2009. For his skill set, and numbers, that's way too low. That's why he has asked to be traded and the Broncos are said to be considering it.

Walker said Marshall's discontent with the team is about money, but also stems from the trade of Jay Cutler as well as the way his hip injury was handled last season.

"They kept saying he was soft and his hip wasn't an issue, but it bothered him in camp and they didn't believe him," Walker said. "They made it seem like it was nothing big. And it bothered him all year and he had to have surgery. So it was something big."

Marshall had surgery on the hip in March, and is back on track to be on the field again this season.

So where will he play? Do the Broncos trade him or do they make him come back? Do they give him a new deal or make him wait?

One thing's for certain: He's a risk. Even Walker understands teams will view his friend that way.

"You have faults, but look at what he brings to that team," Walker said. "If they want to work out a contract, they can work it out. Put stuff in it. Put clauses in it. Put stuff in it that will penalize him if he gets in trouble so you can pay the man. He deserves it. He's a good guy. Whoever pays him will see that. I know it. Brandon Marshall isn't who everybody thinks he is."

Finally some news we can grasp and sunk our teeth into.

wow respect Walker now...

Trade him quick while there is some good press out there.

This article is a very good find. Its good to see someone commenting on Marshall thats close to him, other than sensationalistic reporters.

I read this earlier and I just dont see it changing my views on Marshall.

First off, of course his friend is going to speak up for him. Second, just because he didnt see Marshall smack women around, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

As far as the Wrestling Incident, Marshall is a professional athlete that relies on his body to make money. To even put himself in a situation where you can get hurt (and he seriously hurt himself) it just plain dumb.

Which only adds to my believe that Marshall has a million dollar body and a 10 cent brain.

They massacred Rothlisberger in the media when he cracked his skull in the motorcycle accident. Why dont we hold Marshall more responsible for nearly cutting his arm off and then lying about it?

Does it bug anyone else the Marshalls story on this holdout keeps changing?

Its not a holdout.

Im holding out because I dont like how my hip was handled.

Now Im holding out because of the Cutler trade.

Now Im holding out because of the direction of the team.

Im sure he will blame Steve Atwater retiring for his holdout next.

He needs to prove his worth OFF THE FIELD before he gets what he wants. He is a great receiver, but he is such a risk. Make the rest of us believe what is written in that article and then I will beg for him to get a new contract.
    Last edited by McSmashie; 06-23-2009 at 08:53 PM.

I adopt andrewmlb.

That's all nice and good.

Marshall is still a suspension risk, and he won't let the team examine his hip.

If he can produce and stay out of trouble just this one season, I would have no problems with Denver making him one of the highest paid WR's in the league. He's just too big of a risk right now.

The think i find most interesting in the article is this quote.

"If they want to work out a contract, they can work it out. Put stuff in it. Put clauses in it. Put stuff in it that will penalize him if he gets in trouble so you can pay the man. He deserves it. He's a good guy. Whoever pays him will see that. I know it. Brandon Marshall isn't who everybody thinks he is."

I know a lot of us have mentioned just giving him a contract that is heavily incentive laced. But this almost shows that we have made no offer to B-Marsh at all which kind of upsets me. And while i am a big supporter of McDaniel's it is frustrating to know were not making the effort we should be on getting a contract done so everyone is happy...

Quote Originally Posted by McSmashie View Post
    I read this earlier and I just dont see it changing my views on Marshall.

First off, of course his friend is going to speak up for him. Second, just because he didnt see Marshall smack women around, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

As far as the Wrestling Incident, Marshall is a professional athlete that relies on his body to make money. To even put himself in a situation where you can get hurt (and he seriously hurt himself) it just plain dumb.

Which only adds to my believe that Marshall has a million dollar body and a 10 cent brain.

They massacred Rothlisberger in the media when he cracked his skull in the motorcycle accident. Why dont we hold Marshall more responsible for nearly cutting his arm off and then lying about it?
    Well then that sounds like youve made up your mind from the views and opinions of reporters, people who really have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER about what really happened. Id trust his best friend over them any day of the week.

And comparing Roethlisbergers accident and Marshalls accident isnt really fair. Ben was riding a bike that was too powerful for his experience level WITHOUT a helmet. It was also in his contract that he wasnt supposed to be riding motorcycles.

Marshall on the other hand was goofing around. Big deal. Youve never horsed around before? I dont think goofing around is against any rule in the NFL...

Quote Originally Posted by d-bronx42 View Post

"If they want to work out a contract, they can work it out. Put stuff in it. Put clauses in it. Put stuff in it that will penalize him if he gets in trouble so you can pay the man. He deserves it. He's a good guy. Whoever pays him will see that. I know it. Brandon Marshall isn't who everybody thinks he is."

I know a lot of us have mentioned just giving him a contract that is heavily incentive laced. But this almost shows that we have made no offer to B-Marsh at all which kind of upsets me. And while i am a big supporter of McDaniel's it is frustrating to know were not making the effort we should be on getting a contract done so everyone is happy...
    Im all for an incentive laden contract. Question is, will he sign it?

I adopt andrewmlb.

Quote Originally Posted by d-bronx42 View Post

Bowlen did make an offer, Marshall declined it...

Does it bug anyone else the Marshalls story on this holdout keeps changing?

Its not a holdout.

Im holding out because I dont like how my hip was handled.

Now Im holding out because of the Cutler trade.

Now Im holding out because of the direction of the team.

Im sure he will blame Steve Atwater retiring for his holdout next.

He needs to prove his worth OFF THE FIELD before he gets what he wants. He is a great receiver, but he is such a risk. Make the rest of us believe what is written in that article and then I will beg for him to get a new contract.
    And this, this is what his best friend said. Have you heard anything come straight from Marshalls mouth? I dont think its a big dispute about why he wants a new contract anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by VenomousDB View Post
    Well then that sounds like youve made up your mind from the views and opinions of reporters, people who really have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER about what really happened. Id trust his best friend over them any day of the week.
    What is your opinion on OJ? Because Al Cowlings didnt see him do, then it didnt happen???

One person not seeing something doesnt mean it didnt happen. Nor does it mean it did happen.

That statement is in the article proves or disproves nothing.

And, no, I never horse around. Im stoic.

I adopt andrewmlb.

For such a good guy, he's ALWAYS in the limelight of the law.

Forget how good he is, it's almost pathetic how OFTEN he's in the spotlight with the legal system and issues along with it.

Im all for an incentive laden contract. Question is, will he sign it?
    I'm assuming so, if his best friend is suggesting that's what the Broncos should do don't you think he has discussed that very kind of contract with Marshall?

If there as good of friends as Walker says they are then im almost positive they have discussed these kinds of things. Especially since Marshall is down in southern Florida where Mike Walker happens to play and live.

What is your opinion on OJ? Because Al Cowlings didnt see him do, then it didnt happen???

One person not seeing something doesnt mean it didnt happen. Nor does it mean it did happen.

That statement is in the article proves or disproves nothing.

And, no, I never horse around. Im stoic.
    Whatever, I need a drink haha