View Poll Results: Will Brandon Marshall play for the Denver Broncos in 09?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    27 26.73%
  • Yes

    79 78.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 33 of 102 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 495 of 1520
  1. #481
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of the straps and off the medication
    Posts
    5,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Yeah, I got a little scared when I saw DJ's name on there until I saw what the source was. If we give up Marshall and DJ we better get more than an aging Porter, Camarillo and two picks. Why not just Marshall for Camarillo and a first? Regardless this is a stupid thread.
    Because no one will give up a first for Marshall.

    The Cardinals can't get a first for Boldin, who is a better receiver and doesn't have the downside like the hip surgery rehab and the court case.

    If the Cardinals can't get a first for him, why would anyone give up a first for Marshall when they could get Boldin for the same thing?
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!

  2. #482
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    131
    Great article. At first I thought just to trade B M would be what is best for the broncos if they could get good value for him. But after reading this article I agree with the writer. Denver would be better off making a stand not giving into what B M wants on principle alone. B M is broke, yo. He needs the $$$. What better reason for a new contract. I say bench him and don't pay him.

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver.
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
    Alastor,

    Do you know what steps the Broncos can take in suspending a player? As in what's legal and what is not. It seems to me suspending a player for a whole season for skipping training camp would violate many rules.
    It doesn't violate any rules at all. If he's not in camp by August 12th the Broncos can say, "See ya' next year."

    Under such a situation, Marshall would not get paid at all this season, and next season would enter his contract again under the same situation as he did this year, without earning credit for a year played.

    It's discussed in this thread by elecshock.

    Further, the CBA is coming to an end, so by the time Marshall's contract is up, he may be stuck here without a franchise tag and the Broncos can then just say, "Here's our offer. Take it or go bag groceries."

    If Marshall doesn't play for the Broncos this season, it will not count towards his contract time. He might even lose his extra money. I'm not sure how the rules work on this but this season he is scheduled to make a bit over 2 mil in large part because of his pro-bowl selection and his performance on the field last season.

    If he sits this season out, then when he returns the next season he might not be playing for that much money, because rather than have gone to the Pro Bowl and catching 100+ passes the previous year, he will have sat out. I don't know if this would affect his salary in that case or not.

    But no, the Broncos don't have to pay him at all if he's not in camp by August 12th. They can indeed simply say, "You waited too long. This year doesn't count. See you next season."

    Something that frankly, I think they're very likely to do if he's not in camp when he's supposed to be.

  4. #484
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    131
    I say Denver should inact "Marshall Law" (pun) and sit B M without pay untill he smartens up

  5. #485
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by elecshoc View Post
    Aug 12th is his date to return. http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=145888 If he is still with the team for this year and causes problems for us, then that just lowers his own value for other teams. He is looking for a payday and he can't lower his value if he is going to get the contract he wants....... It is and letting a good player go without getting any type of value in return does not help your team. He is a bargain for what he is playing for right now, but if we let him go for nothing then he is a steal for whom ever we trade him to. Doing that is not good for the team at all.
    I don't see how Marshall causing problems as a Bronco this year would affect his own value. It would affect his trade value, but not his personal value. You see situations like this all the time where potential suitors ignore the aftermath of a fractured relationship. You see teams care less and less about problem players every year too. There are people very interested in signing Burris right now. And he's nearly a lock for jail time.

    100% INCORRECT. There are many occasions where letting a player leave for less than desired value helps the team. Especially when they are distractions/problem players.

  6. #486
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Out of the straps and off the medication
    Posts
    5,633
    Quote Originally Posted by 22cannon View Post
    Funny everyone acts like Bowlen is going out of pocket on paying his players. He is required to pay players based on NFL revenues. The money will be spent.

    Give Brandon his payday, He earned it 2 years ago.
    I've got an idea! Why don't we wait until he's passed a physical, shown up to TC and shown that he's still capable of playing at a high level before we give him his payday, since we WOULD be paying him a large amount of money to do certain things that right now we aren't sure he can do?

    Does that strike anyone as a good idea?

    Personally, all these "pay the man" posts seem to be ignoring the facts of the Marshall situation and are just fan posts wanting to keep a favorite player. I thought the needs of the Broncos would be more important.
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!

  7. #487
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver.
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
    I don't see how Marshall causing problems as a Bronco this year would affect his own value. It would affect his trade value, but not his personal value. You see situations like this all the time where potential suitors ignore the aftermath of a fractured relationship. You see teams care less and less about problem players every year too. There are people very interested in signing Burris right now. And he's nearly a lock for jail time.

    100% INCORRECT. There are many occasions where letting a player leave for less than desired value helps the team. Especially when they are distractions/problem players.
    Not true. For one thing the league is cracking down on this stuff more and more (and it's about damned time, to be honest).

    And while you argue that lots of people would sign Plaxico, that's not the case. He's currently unsigned and has been for more than a month now.

    Your argument that people will ignore these issues and sign this type of player without a second thought was perhaps true in the NFL of the recent past, but certainly not any more.

    Even your chosen example, Plaxico, currently sits unemployed and without any reasonable suitors. When he does get signed, it's not going to be for premier dollars, that's for sure.

    Even right now the Broncos have "made it known" via "sources" that they'd entertain trade offers for Marshall of a 1st and some change. No one's knocking on that door.

    So yeah, it really does affect their own personal value - now more than ever. And no, teams are not signing these players as fast as they can any more.

    The Falcons tried to trade the rights to Michael Vick and couldn't even get a 7th round draft pick for him, so they simply released him. Not only has no one taken their offer, but now that he comes absolutely free of charge, still no team has attempted to sign him to anything.

    This is the new NFL. Players need to realize that they have more to live up to than catching a ball on Sunday now. Those that figure that out will be just fine and will get paid. Those that don't will wind up footnotes.

    Ask Vick. Ask Plaxico. In time, we may be able to ask B Marsh. Let's hope that's not the case, but he's certainly got that potential.

    This is the new NFL. Whether they realize it or not, whether they like it or not, this is the new reality in football.

  8. #488
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    33,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Not true. For one thing the league is cracking down on this stuff more and more (and it's about damned time, to be honest).

    And while you argue that lots of people would sign Plaxico, that's not the case. He's currently unsigned and has been for more than a month now.

    Your argument that people will ignore these issues and sign this type of player without a second thought was perhaps true in the NFL of the recent past, but certainly not any more.

    Even your chosen example, Plaxico, currently sits unemployed and without any reasonable suitors. When he does get signed, it's not going to be for premier dollars, that's for sure.

    Even right now the Broncos have "made it known" via "sources" that they'd entertain trade offers for Marshall of a 1st and some change. No one's knocking on that door.

    So yeah, it really does affect their own personal value - now more than ever. And no, teams are not signing these players as fast as they can any more.

    The Falcons tried to trade the rights to Michael Vick and couldn't even get a 7th round draft pick for him, so they simply released him. Not only has no one taken their offer, but now that he comes absolutely free of charge, still no team has attempted to sign him to anything.

    This is the new NFL. Players need to realize that they have more to live up to than catching a ball on Sunday now. Those that figure that out will be just fine and will get paid. Those that don't will wind up footnotes.

    Ask Vick. Ask Plaxico. In time, we may be able to ask B Marsh. Let's hope that's not the case, but he's certainly got that potential.

    This is the new NFL. Whether they realize it or not, whether they like it or not, this is the new reality in football.
    I agree. The new NFL is about image and cost effectiveness. Sure there will be examples and situations where it's not iron clad yet, but it's happening, and it's happening with a certain amount of consistency among the owners, GMs and other leaders.

    The Commish has made it abundantly clear that inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated. And the economy is also playing a part to slow down the free spending express, other than those obvious gambles (ie. Haynesworth), that can almost single-handedly break an organization. It's never been more clear than the move away from wanting to move up in the draft. Teams are doing their financial homework, and they no longer want to bare the pain of a high draft bust.....it's far too much of a risk.

    Anyway, these changes are being absorbed by most of the league, and sooner or later guys like Marshall will have limited opportunity to make a statement, other than on the field, and strictly within contract guidelines. I believe the players deserve their right to earn good salaries - they draw fans and they have short careers......BUT I will never believe that players or agents should be in charge or able to prosper for any other reason than their ability to perform to a high level. And hopefully they can do so, with appreciation and respect for the law and for the honour of this great game.

  9. #489
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    With your mama
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
    BM "fine then i am getting a box and packing my things"

    DB "what why do you need a box"

    BM "to make it look dramatic"

    DB ".... ok?"


    I am so proud of you. You finally made a good post. :salute!:

  10. #490
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tucson az
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
    I don't see how Marshall causing problems as a Bronco this year would affect his own value. It would affect his trade value, but not his personal value. You see situations like this all the time where potential suitors ignore the aftermath of a fractured relationship. You see teams care less and less about problem players every year too. There are people very interested in signing Burris right now. And he's nearly a lock for jail time.

    100% INCORRECT. There are many occasions where letting a player leave for less than desired value helps the team. Especially when they are distractions/problem players.
    The bold part IMO are the same thing in this case. What BM wants is a signing bonus and a long term deal. As it stands right now I think he messed up his chance this year by getting arrested in Atl in March. Right now its all about value in three places:

    1. Value he has to the Broncos (which they are asking for a first for him) and as of right now are paying 2mil a year without a long term contract (which is pennies for a 100 rec receiver).

    2. Value he has to the rest of the league (would you trade a first for a player with a hip condition that is unkown at this time and pending legal issues who might be facing a possible suspension from the league.)

    3. His perceived value to the Broncos and the rest of the league (the issue of BM thinking he has some say in this matter)

    Right now I see it as BM having no real value to us and the rest of the league until he can go through a year without getting into trouble, get through his trial with out getting convicted and suspended by the NFL and playing out his contract without incident while still playing at a high level.

    There is too much potential in BM to just let him go at this time unless another team would like to bank on his potential. As stated before no one is putting up the first that we are asking for.

    If he can play this year and live up to his potential the rewards to us would be the possibility of signing a great receiver or getting fair value for a BM at the top of his game. For him it would be getting the contract that he thinks he deserves. It is a win win situation if he would just play.

    When he does come in to play I don't think that it would be a big distraction to really anyone on the team. With leaders like Bdawk and Champ I really don't think they would let anyone come in and do anything too distracting. Besides I think BM would have realized by then his attitude and performance are going to be judged not only by the Broncos, but the rest of the league also.

    If BM really wants out of Denver he would have to produce well enough to get us the first that we want in trade.




  11. #491
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    289
    Best article I have read all offseason bar none. Still though I wouldn't mind trading for Bolden straight up. That is the only way I think we dont take a step back.

    What a face rub it would be to have Bolden come in and get offered the contract Marshall didn't.

    Marshall has burned way to many bridges with me and I dont want him around Denver if he doesnt want to be here.

    But it would be in the best interest of the Broncos to get some sort of value for him instead of sitting him the whole season. I think.

    But then again watching Marshall lose value himself sitting and whining on the bench doesn't seem that bad either.

  12. #492
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tucson az
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAcord View Post
    Still though I wouldn't mind trading for Bolden straight up. That is the only way I think we dont take a step back.
    I would love to have Boldin here. I really think he is one of the few players who deserves his payday.




  13. #493
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybass View Post
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=50274396

    That's the thread, here's the post.

    Supposedly there is a trade that Miami is trying to work out that would have Miami get Brandon Marshall from the Broncos. Now from what I was told Miami is trying hard. They feel Marshall can put Miami over the top and would allow for Miami to be a legit Super Bowl contender. Apparently the talks are very very early and signs are actually good. My source has told me Denver dosent seem to be interested in getting a trade that is "fair" for them and are really just looking for something credible that would make it seem like they didnt give him again. Apparently this is the trade so far:

    Miami receives:
    Brandon Marshall (WR)
    DJ Williams (LB)

    Broncos receive:
    Joey Porter (LB)
    Greg Camarillo (WR)
    2nd rounder in 2010
    1st rounder in 2011

    Not sure how good of a trade this is for Denver but its good for Miami. Not sure how much this is going to get talked in the future. I really dont think its going to go through at all. But we can hope. The idea that Miami is even going out of the way to try and get him is a great sign that Miami is trying to improve. Past regimes would not have done this.

    So what do you all think....




    Personally I think its BS, but if you read the whole thread the guy was right about Jason Taylor coming back to Miami and them drafting Vontae Davis and Pat White, I did see him report those before it happened, so theres a slight amount of credibility.

    I think this is a bad trade for Denver. DJ is a franchise player who just got a nice new contract, and Camarillo is no Marshall. The draft picks are nice, but Porter is getting up there in age, though he is an effective 3-4 pass rusher. I would hate to see this trade happen.
    Hate that trade. Trouble!

  14. #494
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,054

    Brandon Marshall ...

    ... is a great football player and, it seems, a good teammate.

    His problems always start when the season ends and he has all this free time.

    I've said it before. Brandon should check into a monastery when the season ends and not come out until the next season begins.

    It would be nice if the rules of the brotherhood Brandon joins included a vow of silence.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  15. #495
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue719 View Post
    I've got an idea! Why don't we wait until he's passed a physical, shown up to TC and shown that he's still capable of playing at a high level before we give him his payday, since we WOULD be paying him a large amount of money to do certain things that right now we aren't sure he can do?

    Does that strike anyone as a good idea?

    Personally, all these "pay the man" posts seem to be ignoring the facts of the Marshall situation and are just fan posts wanting to keep a favorite player. I thought the needs of the Broncos would be more important.
    I agree that we should "pay the man"...but I think there should be a clause in the contract. A "good behavior" clause.

    We'll pay you what you deserve for being a top 10 (maybe top 5) WR in this league...but you can't get arrested. You get arrested again...even if it's for frickin jaywalking...and you get the league minimum. It's as simple as that. All he has to do is NOT get arrested (which means he WON'T be suspended) and he gets paid the money he's worth.

    What gets me is that Marshall and his agent seem to think the Broncos are gonna open the vault for him despite the fact that one more infraction and he's gone for at least 1/4 of the season. How can you guarantee THAT guy any serious cash?

    Jim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •