Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Clayton on transition to the 3-4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=4350377

(scroll down to number 6)

Even more of the 3-4: Expansion of the trendy 3-4 defense will be at the center of a lot of camps. The Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs and Denver Broncos are the latest to switch from the 4-3 defense to the 3-4 , expanding the number of 3-4 teams to around 13. The 3-4 conversion for the past couple of years hasn't been easy; just ask the Jets, Browns and 49ers. All three teams underwent head-coaching changes in the past year. Those teams' 3-4s didn't have adequate nose tackles during the first year. To have a successful 3-4, you need a great nose tackle who can draw double-team blocks. The Packers have a great chance of succeeding because Ryan Pickett could be a good nose tackle. It might be tough in Kansas City and Denver. It's not certain whether Glenn Dorsey of the Chiefs is the right fit at the nose. The Broncos will have the toughest time unless former 49ers backup nose tackle Ronald Fields can do what wasn't done in San Francisco.

I completely agree that we are going to have the toughest time because we failed to focus on our most glaring need this offseason. I know alot of you feel differently but as stated, you cant have a successful 3-4 unless you have a dominate nose tackle. hopefully we draft one first round next year.

The Chiefs situation is worse than ours.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

The Ravens don't have a dominant NT. Don't say Ngata either because he doesn't play NT.

The Browns have a dominant NT and still stink against the run.

One member is not greater than the whole.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    The Ravens don't have a dominant NT. Don't say Ngata either because he doesn't play NT.

The Browns have a dominant NT and still stink against the run.

One member is not greater than the whole.
    true but we dont have a supporting cast like the ravens and i wouldnt say were any better against the run than the browns, hopefully this year tho

Fields will be fine. I think SF was like 5th or 6th in the league in rushing defense last year as Fields as their NT.
    Thanks to Freyaka for the sick Sig pic!!

Quote Originally Posted by VA BroncosFan View Post
    Fields will be fine. I think SF was like 5th or 6th in the league in rushing defense last year as Fields as their NT.
    Fields didn't start for the 49ers.

Quote Originally Posted by VA BroncosFan View Post
    Fields did not start last year. Isaac Sopoaga was there starter he is also alot bigger then Fields at 6'2 330 while Fields is 6'2 317

Contrary to popular belief, the Broncos did address the defensive line. Just because they didn't do it in the way some people expected, it doesn't mean they didn't address it.

Ronald Fields, 338 pound J'Vonne Parker, Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell, and 329 pound Chris Baker are how the Broncos addressed the NT position. Maybe we should give these guys a chance before we proclaim the switch to the 3-4 a failure.

Let's also not forget that the Broncos are expected to play a hybrid defense. We don't even know how often they plan on playing the 3-4. For all we know, they could spend most of the time playing in a 4-3 alignment. I'm sure most of the OTAs were spent on the 3-4 but that could be because that is what is most unfamiliar to most of the defensive players.

Of course there is reason for concern because, on the surface, it looks like the Broncos didn't add a lot of talent to the line. I think that remains to be seen with Baker. Supposedly he was thought to possibly be the second or third best NT prospect available in the draft. Presumably the only reason he wasn't drafted is because of the legal issues that led to him transferring to Hampton. Talent is important and the better the talent on the team the better off the team will be. But, the Broncos have what they have and as long as it's better than what they had last year, they should be a better defense than they were last year.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the Broncos did address the defensive line. Just because they didn't do it in the way some people expected, it doesn't mean they didn't address it.

Ronald Fields, 338 pound J'Vonne Parker, Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell, and 329 pound Chris Baker are how the Broncos addressed the NT position. Maybe we should give these guys a chance before we proclaim the switch to the 3-4 a failure.

Let's also not forget that the Broncos are expected to play a hybrid defense. We don't even know how often they plan on playing the 3-4. For all we know, they could spend most of the time playing in a 4-3 alignment. I'm sure most of the OTAs were spent on the 3-4 but that could be because that is what is most unfamiliar to most of the defensive players.

Of course there is reason for concern because, on the surface, it looks like the Broncos didn't add a lot of talent to the line. I think that remains to be seen with Baker. Supposedly he was thought to possibly be the second or third best NT prospect available in the draft. Presumably the only reason he wasn't drafted is because of the legal issues that led to him transferring to Hampton. Talent is important and the better the talent on the team the better off the team will be. But, the Broncos have what they have and as long as it's better than what they had last year, they should be a better defense than they were last year.
    Agreed for all we know we could spend 80% of our plays this year in a 4-3

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    The Chiefs situation is worse than ours.
    Lol sorry no. Compare Ron Fields with Tank Tyler. Tyler is better. Now compare Fields with Ron Edwards. Edwards is better. So we have two NTs who are better than your one NT.

LOL Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    LOL Chiefs.

The cheifs are a dumpster fire, a dumpster of dirty diapers.......

It takes a while to reconstruct the rubble of the Herm aftermath, just ask the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs > You View Post
    Lol sorry no. Compare Ron Fields with Tank Tyler. Tyler is better. Now compare Fields with Ron Edwards. Edwards is better. So we have two NTs who are better than your one NT.
    LMAO

That's like saying Tarvaris Jackson and Vince Young are both better than Kyle Boller.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    LMAO

That's like saying Tarvaris Jackson and Vince Young are both better than Kyle Boller.
    Tyler had 37 tackles in his first 2 years. Fields has 48 in 4 years. Yeah.. Tyler is better, and not to mention stronger.

Size is a valuable asset at NT but it's not the only thing needed, you need a player who can play with leverage, look at the Cowboys, their starting NT Jay Ratliff is 302 pounds, but he plays with good leverage. Jason Ferguson, starting NT for the Dolphins is only 310 pounds. Size is nice but it's not the be all and end all of the NT position.

As far as the Chiefs fan goes, your team had what 16 sacks last year?...I think that might even be generous but I'm too lazy to look it up. I wouldn't be bragging about any of your players from last year's defensive line.