View Poll Results: Can E. Royal be a better receiver than B. Marshall?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this season he'll start outperforming B. Marshall.

45 39.47%
  • No, it will never happen, even if B. Marshall is traded.

29 25.44%
  • Yes, in 2-3 years.

24 21.05%
  • No, B. Marshall will steadily get better, leaving Royal one step behind.

16 14.04%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    I laugh when people say Brandon is dominant...

Look, the guy is a beast. He's huge for a receiver... but he is NOT dominant.

A dominant receiver puts up points on the board, and scores more than 6 touchdowns a season. For as many catches he has had these past two season (over 200), his 13 touchdowns is considered poor production. Marshall loves to always talk about his 200 some receptions. Yah, I give ya props Brandon. That's a ton of catches...

But:

Think of Rod Smith. He was never really considered 'dominant'... Especially in his third year in the league. But he at least hauled in double digit touchdowns, with 30 less receptions in his third year playing.

He will forever be the best receiver to play for Denver in my opinion.

So can Eddie pass Marshall? I say yes. Eddie isn't a diva... It's rare. He's a receiver who isn't a diva. He's had zero issues in college with getting a fat head or getting in trouble.

He runs some of the BEST routes I've seen from a Bronco receiver. He's fast, agile, and will be DANGEROUS as a Wes Welker type receiver.
    You are so right Peerless - Eddie possesses the same kinds of attributes Rod has - a strong work ethic and a humble attitude. That's what will make him a better receiver in the end than Marshall. Brandon has the physical ability, but that alone isn't enough. Sadly, Marshall learned nothing from his time with Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryDean View Post
    One of these things will happen .... it is possible that Royal in the future could be better then Marshall but this is today and as of now he has not proven to be as good as Marshall or shown to have any more potential then Marshall ....

No I'm saying people are discounting what Marshall has done so far in his career and that includes last year which he was the Broncos leading receiver and now all time single game catch record holder ..The fact is Royal has only played in the NFL for 1 year and his future is up in the air as much Marshall as nothing is set in stone ...But what we do know for the last 2 yrs Royal was not the Broncos leading WR in yds and catches .... Will it be this year dunno maybe ... but maybe is far from fact

So what are Marshall's limits do you know them any more or less then Royal's..How is that any different ...I think the most of Royal and I think he has the potential to be one of the better WR's in the NFL .... I dont think he has the same potential as Marshall and thats from what I have seen....
    I never said anything about limits on Marshall. My only reference to limits was all the crap people spewed about Royal before he even participated in a single practice.

The question was, does Royal have the skill to surpass Marshall? It's certainly possible that he does have the skill to surpass Marshall. Eddie's rookie year was far superior to Marshall's rookie year.

Yes Royal's rookie year was better then Marshall's but Marshall had back to back 1000 yds /100 Catch seasons...While Royal on the other hand has had neither but somehow others seem to know he will be better then Marshall
    In this quote you use Marshall's 2nd and 3rd year as an argument against Royal, saying that Royal hasn't had even one year like that. Of course he hasn't because he was a rookie last year, he hasn't been in the league long enough to have a 2nd or 3rd year. Of course, maybe he would have caught more than 91 catches if he had been targeted 174 times, like Marshall was.

It's not uncommon for people to look at something like the fact that Royal's rookie season was better than Marshall's rookie season and draw a conclusion that Royal is or will be better than Marshall. While I won't declare that Royal is or will be better than Marshall, I will not deny the possibility that he could eventually be better than Marshall. Last year people were swearing up and down that he would never be anything more than a #3 receiver and that he might not be much more than a special teams player. All those people look pretty stupid for making those assertions.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

They're so different...

I mean look at their sizes.

Also Marshall has ridiculous YAC due to his mowing over/around people.\

Royal has superior hands and quickness.

Their skill's are different and thus I always think each of them will be superior to the other in their given gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
    They're so different...

I mean look at their sizes.

Also Marshall has ridiculous YAC due to his mowing over/around people.\

Royal has superior hands and quickness.

Their skill's are different and thus I always think each of them will be superior to the other in their given gifts.
    That is an excellent post.

BTW, I am glad I don't have to look at that ape-man picture you had of Cutler anymore!

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Quote Originally Posted by jdubv724 View Post
    Royal will never be as dominant as Brandon Marshall, he is just to small. BMarsh is a freaking beast. How many 6'5'' 240 pound WR's with his speed and strength and talent are out there? It will almost be impossible to get another guy like him.
    He's 6'4 230, and there are a lot of big receivers out there.

Andre Johnson 6'3 228
    Larry Fitzgerald 6'3 217
    Calvin Johnson 6'5 236
    Vincent Jackson 6'5 230
    Terrell Owens 6'4 226
    Dwayne Bowe 6'2 221
    Michael Jenkins 6'4 217
    Marques Colston 6'4 225
    Matt Jones 6'6 218

It's not like they're that hard to find, and they're becoming much more commonplace in the league. Pretty much all of these guys have been drafted in the last 5 years. Remember, we got Marshall in the 4th round, if we can eventually trade him for a pretty good WR and a draft pick, it might not be all that bad of a switch. The last thing we should do is lose him in free agency however.

Overall my point is, his skillset isn't impossible to find.

eddie will never be as dominant or handle double coverage the way marshall does. so in that sense, he won't be as good as marshall.

however, since marshall is the undisputed, gigantic number one reciever, he WILL draw double coverage and because of that i think that eddie will have a better season statistically next year
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Marshall's a special WR. He's very similiar to Keyshawn Johnson, although he's better after the catch but he doesn't have as good of hands as Keyshawn.

I do like Royal better because he's virtually uncoverable and he runs amazing routes, especially in a timing offense. He has surefire hands and homerun ability.

I think Royal will be better than Marshall this year regardless.

Royal will have a more productive season receiving this year than Marshall. Mark it down.

So to answer the question: Yes. He already has.

Eddie is a different kind of wide receiver altogether. Their skills are complementary and also very different.

Eddie has the potential to achieve at the highest levels. So does Brandon, but they're not remotely the same kind of receivers. Their skill sets aren't really comparable.

Marshall and Royal are different types of receivers.

I don't know if Marshall will be with the Broncos come opening day or not, so to me, Royal should be very similar to what Deon Branch was in the Patriots offense.

I still think Marshall is going to get traded to Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    Marshall and Royal are different types of receivers.

I don't know if Marshall will be with the Broncos come opening day or not, so to me, Royal should be very similar to what Deon Branch was in the Patriots offense.

I still think Marshall is going to get traded to Baltimore.
    What do you think his trade value is Mind? Or more importantly what would Balt give up for him?
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    What do you think his trade value is Mind? Or more importantly what would Balt give up for him?
    I know you didn't ask me, but I'd say a 3rd or 4th rounder. Healthy, he might get us a 2. If they offer a 1, they're insane, and we should take it without asking any questions. Remember, injury + only 1 year left under contract. The injury's the big question, because right now it doesn't look like he would pass a physical anyway, if one day of light route-running causes him to miss two days of practice due to soreness.
    Last edited by Lomax; 07-29-2009 at 02:11 PM.

i wanna see eddie have a 1000 yard season this year and every year for the rest of his career. he's a cool guy, always nice things to say he's a great player.

[SIZE="5"]
    [FONT="Arial Black"]EDDIE ROYAL IS THE MAN[/FONT][/SIZE]

Fyi

Football Outsiders had Royal ranked higher than Marshall in DYAR and DVOA last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Another thing you might notice is that they say Royal was targeted 129 times while Marshall was targeted 181 times. That 181 is different than what I remember being reported in an article earlier this offseason. I thought Marshall was targeted 174 times. However, it indicates that Royal caught a greater percentage of the passes thrown to him. One has to wonder just how many receptions Royal would have had if the Broncos had a quarterback that didn't target Marshall more often than he should have.
    Last edited by broncolee; 07-30-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    If we could get their first round pick next year, and a conditional selection in 2011, I would be happy with that.

I think B-more is very interested, and I think they would give up the first round pick.