Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

PFT: Could the Broncos suspend Marshall?

Might as well have another thread about B-Marsh... But this one is kind of interesting:

Brandon Marshall's rift with the Broncos only appears to be growing with time. Many are starting wonder a natural question: Could this relationship fracture entirely before the regular season?

Newsday's Bob Glauber, writing on Twitter, has an interesting hunch.

"Gut feeling," he writes. "Broncos will eventually suspend Brandon Marshall for conduct detrimental to the team. Reminds me of Year 2 of T.O. In Philly."

While this is couched as speculation, it makes a lot of sense. There are similarities between the Owens and Marshall situations.

If Marshall continues to "disengage" from practice like he did on Wednesday, the Broncos could eventually suspend him for being a distraction to the team.

The Eagles set a precedent that a player can't disrupt the team's objectives while in attendance at practice.

Marshall's situation doesn't seem as poisonous as Owens' in 2005, but we're less than a week removed from Marshall's acquittal on misdemeanor battery charges and the situation has devolved quickly.

The next move is seemingly up to Marshall. He can continue to make noise or he can try to get back in the starting lineup. If he chooses to antagonize the Broncos further, he risks losing part of his 2009 salary.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...pend-marshall/

The Bucs did it to Keyshawn the year they won the Superbowl. Not saying Denver is anywhere near the Bucs or Philly in terms of talent, but I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for the Broncos to suspend BMarsh. I also would not think its such a bad idea either.
    We are going with Plan A

Cool crying like T.O.

Where have all the great recievers went. I wish marshall could have an eddie royal attitude. With all this Mc. talk and loosing cutler you would figure marshall would step up and be the player he is supposed to be. But instead he is going down the t.o. path. Sad to have one of those on our depth chart. I think we should get rid of him. If I were him I would play my hardest and make another great year show for next year. Who are these guys agents anyways.. He sucks just like cutlers agent. This has been a messy so far and hopefully it will get better.. STOP CRYING AND PLAY BALL MARSHALL thats the best thing for your family. Dont be stupid. Didnt your mom ever teach you that!!!!!

It's not a good sign for the broncos or Marshall that he's being compared with TO. It was only a matter of time and Im not surprised, but even Marshall cannot feel comfortable with that.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

More likely is to put him on IR with that hip and hammy. That would cool his jets and get him out of the regular rotation. He still would be a restricted FA next year.

I saw the interview with him on Total Access yesterday. He's acting like such a little *****, coming out to the media talking about trust because of the thing with the PR assistant? That's nothing to get that uptight about, he's being way too sensitive.

I think it makes the most sense to trade him, and I really don't care what we get. A 2010 2nd or a starter at 3-4 DE or possibly SILB plus possibly a late round pick would be plenty. He has negative value at this point, so anything you could get for him would be a win.

Do it, and keep his ass here.

While they're at it, they should suspend the idiots that decided it would be a good idea to brainwash his teammates into not being happy for his acquittal.

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    It's not a good sign for the broncos or Marshall that he's being compared with TO. It was only a matter of time and Im not surprised, but even Marshall cannot feel comfortable with that.
    He was referred to as the "Baby TO" coming out of college - No surprise that he's living up (down?) to that rep.

One thing is certain, now that there is a finite conclusion to the Favre saga, the stage for the Marshall-Bronco drama will only get MUCH BIGGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hardwick View Post
    I saw the interview with him on Total Access yesterday. He's acting like such a little *****, coming out to the media talking about trust because of the thing with the PR assistant? That's nothing to get that uptight about, he's being way too sensitive.
    This is just another blatant attempt to excuse his actions - Nothing but another smoke screen trying to get a raise.

Suspend and move on

What conditions can allow for Marshall to be suspended?

I was reading the Mile High Report and saw this brought up

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8...denver-broncos

It would be great if it was a happily ever after situation, but for someone with no experience in the system it is not reasonable to expect him to play anytime soon.

Time to move on!
    Waiting to hear from adoption agency

Bah, it is just Florio making more ish up.

Anything that isnt NEWS and just speculation on Florio's part smells as bad as a fresh cow patty.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjoda View Post
    What conditions can allow for Marshall to be suspended?
    This is a very good question. Anyone got the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    This is a very good question. Anyone got the answer?
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...trimental.html

From pigskin to penalty flags, America’s version of the English language is packed with words and phrases born in the game of football. If not for football, you might hear ‘face-masking’ and just think too much make-up.

We’re a sports-centered society. Pop-culture constantly takes cues from professional football. Your touchdown dance when you got a promotion...nice. And that stiff-arm for fighting off perfume ladies in department stores...another healthy adoption from our great game.

‘Conduct detrimental’ is a popular term in football circles lately, usually followed by an NFL player being fined or suspended. Ever wonder what exactly ‘conduct detrimental’ means? You aren’t alone. It’s vague and comically subjective- the kind of term society should let the NFL keep.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the league and its players lists examples of activities considered “conduct detrimental to Club.” The commissioner’s new conduct policy also lists prohibited activities that would qualify.

What’s disturbing is what isn’t said in either of these documents. Ultimately, what ‘detrimental’ is, is the team or league’s call. There’s little there to dispute a literal translation of “anything you do that we don’t like.” The limitless possibilities of this term say classic case of slippery slope. I’d argue its more like an oil-slicked Kilimanjaro.

Could not learning your plays be conduct detrimental... if you’re a moron? Many pros hold off on sex when games get close, but what if you didn’t? How about a player with a half-dozen baby’s mamas on a team with a strictly conservative owner? Maybe none of these would be tested. Or maybe all of them would. The problem here is there are no boundaries with intentionally vague rules.

Details in our rules are staples of a smoothly run society. Imagine if they weren’t....

There are checks and balances built in to the CBA in the event of abuses. Article VIII, Section 3 explains that in regard to club discipline, “the NFLPA expressly reserves the right to challenge the imposition of such discipline for conduct detrimental to the club...”

These are positive protections, but couldn’t we greatly reduce the need for costly hearings, appeals, and all the other financial commitments that open-ended language assures? These costs are always inevitably passed on to the fans. It’s like leaving the bank vault open for criminals, but assuring the bank’s clients you’ve created a task force to investigate offenses. Sure, we’ve got the results covered, but why not just close the vault?

This is a league that understands the importance of details. You don’t get a “ten yard penalty or so” for holding. My contracts were never signed for “a few years and some money.” The championship teams I’ve been on were renowned for their attention to detail through situational practices- preparing each week for the less likely, as much as for the probable. So why not pay similar attention to the language in our policies?

On one hand, it’s tough to blame the NFL or teams for putting the phrase in there. If I’m buying a home and the seller agrees to a purchase price of “a bunch of money,” please believe I’m showing up at closing with a trash bag full of nickels and a smile. If it’s the players who’ve been had, then it’s also our responsibility to correct it.

As with all things NFL, America is watching closely. We don’t need this spilling over into everyday American life. Nobody wants Joe Blow returning to the parking lot after a great NFL game, only to find a ticket on his windshield “for being bad.”
    Last edited by McSmashie; 08-24-2009 at 07:34 PM.

I adopt andrewmlb.