Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 145
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,709

    Lets Give Orton A Chance...He's Doing His Part

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...DoUxgD9AJEQJO1

    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. The Denver Broncos might have solved one of their many mysteries Tuesday after watching Kyle Orton take snaps, hand off cleanly and complete passes at practice for the first time since slicing open his right index finger nine days earlier.

    "It was obvious today that he could do it all," offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said.

    Orton wore a glove on his throwing hand and thin gauze and tape on his injured finger to protect the dislocated knuckle that poked through the skin in the Broncos' third preseason game.

    "Obviously, there's a little bit of restriction for a quarterback when you've got something on your hand. But for the most part everything was clean," coach Josh McDaniels said. "Hopefully everybody that was out there today will be ready to go on Sunday."

    McDaniels said the determining factor on Orton's status will be "a combination of the healing process and then how effective he can be. If he's able to be the most effective guy we've got then certainly he'll play."

    If Orton has a setback, Chris Simms, who returned Sunday from a high ankle sprain, would get the nod.

    During the 20 minutes the media were allowed to watch the workout, Orton threw accurate short passes in warm-up drills and also handed off with his right hand without any apparent problems.

    The media was escorted out of the practice facility before the Broncos began the team portion of their workout and weren't allowed access to players once practice was over.

    Orton declined to comment before practice. He's scheduled to speak with the media on Wednesday, another sign the Broncos expect him to start.

    Simms said the smart money certainly was on Orton.

    "Yeah, I expect Kyle to be ready," he said. "He's a competitor, he's a tough guy."


    Still, Orton's injury could force some changes in the play-calling in McDaniels' head coaching debut.

    "Yeah, a finger's tough," Simms said. "I know I've dislocated my finger a few times and it's your moneymaker, you need your hands to throw that ball. So, if you're not feeling right there, it takes a little getting used to but I think he'll be OK."

    The other big question surrounding the Broncos is whether Brandon Marshall will continue to be a headache or resume his role as the team's top receiver.

    Marshall was reinstated Sunday after being suspended Aug. 28 for detrimental conduct stemming from insubordinate actions during practice, and McDaniels has said he'll entertain an escalating scale of discipline for Marshall if his misbehavior continues.

    However, McDaniels said Marshall has had a great attitude and work ethic since returning to the team.

    Marshall, who has clashed with the organization since the team rebuffed his overtures for a new contract and did not act on his request for a trade, participated in just a handful of offseason practices. Despite that, McDaniels suggested Marshall could make a significant contribution against the Bengals.

    "Look, he's a good football player and if he's ready to go and we go through this week of practice and we feel like that's the direction that we should play on Sunday, then certainly we all know what he can do as a football player," McDaniels said. "It's a matter of getting acclimated to enough of the game plan and him understanding what's going on, but we'll see as we go through the week."

    McDaniels said he's had multiple meetings with Marshall since his suspension was lifted "and we're looking forward to moving past this. He's out there practicing hard and that's what we're looking for."

    Asked to describe their relationship now, McDaniels said: "We have a good relationship. He comes here, he goes to work. I coach him, I try to teach him as much as I can. He's working hard on the field."

    Marshall declined to comment as he darted in and out of the locker room during the media access period.

    His teammates said they welcomed back their muscular Pro Bowl playmaker and are willing to let his selfish actions last month slide if he can stay focused on team goals and not his own agenda.

    "There's not too many receivers that looks like he does in the league," Simms said. "He can bring confidence to an offense in a hurry. He's a special athlete."

    Receiver Brandon Stokley said Marshall's drama-filled offseason that culminated in his suspension didn't affect the team's chemistry.

    "He made one mistake and now we're all ready to just move on from that," Stokley said. "And we all look forward to a great season from him."

    Can's comments:

    Here we are. Orton's our #1 QB, and he's doing his best to be ready for Sunday, injury and all. I hope he starts, and I hope he plays the way he can. He is a smart team-oriented player, and he has the skills. He may not be pro bowl material just yet, but sometimes it's just a matter of confidence, coaching and chemistry.

    I also believe Simms can walk in and put up some stats, in a hurry. And I like the way he is handling his role. Another team guy.

    AND......the Tom B is getting groomed.......he'll be ready soon as well.

    I will not add to the Marshall discussion........other than to say, "Brandon, be like Kyle......get ready!"

    Looking forward to a win on Sunday!!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,618
    I have to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing Kyle play again. It's always refreshing to see a player put forth all of their effort into what they do. He shows incredible determination as a player. If Kyle's doing his best, I can't put anything against him.
    Brock you like a hurricane!

    Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    I have to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing Kyle play again. It's always refreshing to see a player put forth all of their effort into what they do. He shows incredible determination as a player. If Kyle's doing his best, I can't put anything against him.
    I have actually been a little embarrassed as a Broncos fan reading all the hate directed at Orton on these boards. The guy comes in and works his tail off to be the best he can be, is a total team player. And since day one, he has been treated like trash from quite a few fans.

    I would almost applaud him if he told all the haters to **** and threw the bird.

    This fan supports his team and all the players that work hard and leave it all out on the field...all I can expect. They do that and I will always applaud them...even in losing.
    My 2011 starting defense

    R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,351
    I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that our STARTING QB will start on Sunday. As much of a call as there has been for Simms or Tom, there needs to be some stability from McD's perspective. That means don't gamble after you've already made your decision.

    Orton has a challenging road ahead. But I think he'll be able to handle it much better than Simms or Brandstater.

    Plus, he has guys like Hillis and Royal to help him out, so that should make him happy.

    :go:

    Supporting McD since 2009.

    Adopted Bronco....Daniel Graham!

    Adopted by Chillez! :salute!:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    E-arth
    Posts
    15,349
    I just wanna see if Orton can prove me right and wrong.
    I have said was not a good QB n that I want Brandstater to start.
    I also have said that Orton had no choice but to be a bad QB with the Bears they have no WR's. In now he has them.
    Oh n Jay Cutler is a good QB but he no Brady nor P.Manning, he can't make his wide outs better than what they are. Good luck Jay with the WR less Bears.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    I have to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing Kyle play again. It's always refreshing to see a player put forth all of their effort into what they do. He shows incredible determination as a player. If Kyle's doing his best, I can't put anything against him.
    Right on Fargo!!!!

    What more can you ask of someone.......or does he have to erase mindsets and past player performance????? One person can only do what they can.....I believe they call it "playing within oneself"......

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutler2007 View Post
    I have actually been a little embarrassed as a Broncos fan reading all the hate directed at Orton on these boards. The guy comes in and works his tail off to be the best he can be, is a total team player. And since day one, he has been treated like trash from quite a few fans.

    I would almost applaud him if he told all the haters to **** and threw the bird.

    This fan supports his team and all the players that work hard and leave it all out on the field...all I can expect. They do that and I will always applaud them...even in losing.
    Normal stuff from those with a grudge. But I too feel like the guy was put in a tough spot. But I'll bet he doesn't listen to all that stuff, as he has his own job to care of. And I'm sure Josh keeps people focused.....if anyone has had to deal with dissention here it's been our HC.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutler2007 View Post
    I have actually been a little embarrassed as a Broncos fan reading all the hate directed at Orton on these boards. The guy comes in and works his tail off to be the best he can be, is a total team player. And since day one, he has been treated like trash from quite a few fans.

    I would almost applaud him if he told all the haters to **** and threw the bird.

    This fan supports his team and all the players that work hard and leave it all out on the field...all I can expect. They do that and I will always applaud them...even in losing.
    Kyle Orton didn't ask for any of this. He was looking to get his second year in a row as starter in Chicago when everything got turned upside down. Through all the ensuing turmoil, all he has done is work hard every day to get better and to prepare himself to play the best that he can and win football games. My hat is off to him. I hope he has a great game and a great season. Not out of spite for those throwing him under the bus, but because I think he deserves it. Total selfless guy. Just what I like on my team.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
    Kyle Orton didn't ask for any of this. He was looking to get his second year in a row as starter in Chicago when everything got turned upside down. Through all the ensuing turmoil, all he has done is work hard every day to get better and to prepare himself to play the best that he can and win football games. My hat is off to him. I hope he has a great game and a great season. Not out of spite for those throwing him under the bus, but because I think he deserves it. Total selfless guy. Just what I like on my team.
    Same here BB!!

    (CPs on hold for a day)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...DoUxgD9AJEQJO1

    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. The Denver Broncos might have solved one of their many mysteries Tuesday after watching Kyle Orton take snaps, hand off cleanly and complete passes at practice for the first time since slicing open his right index finger nine days earlier.

    "It was obvious today that he could do it all," offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said.

    Orton wore a glove on his throwing hand and thin gauze and tape on his injured finger to protect the dislocated knuckle that poked through the skin in the Broncos' third preseason game.

    "Obviously, there's a little bit of restriction for a quarterback when you've got something on your hand. But for the most part everything was clean," coach Josh McDaniels said. "Hopefully everybody that was out there today will be ready to go on Sunday."

    McDaniels said the determining factor on Orton's status will be "a combination of the healing process and then how effective he can be. If he's able to be the most effective guy we've got then certainly he'll play."

    If Orton has a setback, Chris Simms, who returned Sunday from a high ankle sprain, would get the nod.

    During the 20 minutes the media were allowed to watch the workout, Orton threw accurate short passes in warm-up drills and also handed off with his right hand without any apparent problems.

    The media was escorted out of the practice facility before the Broncos began the team portion of their workout and weren't allowed access to players once practice was over.

    Orton declined to comment before practice. He's scheduled to speak with the media on Wednesday, another sign the Broncos expect him to start.

    Simms said the smart money certainly was on Orton.

    "Yeah, I expect Kyle to be ready," he said. "He's a competitor, he's a tough guy."


    Still, Orton's injury could force some changes in the play-calling in McDaniels' head coaching debut.

    "Yeah, a finger's tough," Simms said. "I know I've dislocated my finger a few times and it's your moneymaker, you need your hands to throw that ball. So, if you're not feeling right there, it takes a little getting used to but I think he'll be OK."

    The other big question surrounding the Broncos is whether Brandon Marshall will continue to be a headache or resume his role as the team's top receiver.

    Marshall was reinstated Sunday after being suspended Aug. 28 for detrimental conduct stemming from insubordinate actions during practice, and McDaniels has said he'll entertain an escalating scale of discipline for Marshall if his misbehavior continues.

    However, McDaniels said Marshall has had a great attitude and work ethic since returning to the team.

    Marshall, who has clashed with the organization since the team rebuffed his overtures for a new contract and did not act on his request for a trade, participated in just a handful of offseason practices. Despite that, McDaniels suggested Marshall could make a significant contribution against the Bengals.

    "Look, he's a good football player and if he's ready to go and we go through this week of practice and we feel like that's the direction that we should play on Sunday, then certainly we all know what he can do as a football player," McDaniels said. "It's a matter of getting acclimated to enough of the game plan and him understanding what's going on, but we'll see as we go through the week."

    McDaniels said he's had multiple meetings with Marshall since his suspension was lifted "and we're looking forward to moving past this. He's out there practicing hard and that's what we're looking for."

    Asked to describe their relationship now, McDaniels said: "We have a good relationship. He comes here, he goes to work. I coach him, I try to teach him as much as I can. He's working hard on the field."

    Marshall declined to comment as he darted in and out of the locker room during the media access period.

    His teammates said they welcomed back their muscular Pro Bowl playmaker and are willing to let his selfish actions last month slide if he can stay focused on team goals and not his own agenda.

    "There's not too many receivers that looks like he does in the league," Simms said. "He can bring confidence to an offense in a hurry. He's a special athlete."

    Receiver Brandon Stokley said Marshall's drama-filled offseason that culminated in his suspension didn't affect the team's chemistry.

    "He made one mistake and now we're all ready to just move on from that," Stokley said. "And we all look forward to a great season from him."

    Can's comments:

    Here we are. Orton's our #1 QB, and he's doing his best to be ready for Sunday, injury and all. I hope he starts, and I hope he plays the way he can. He is a smart team-oriented player, and he has the skills. He may not be pro bowl material just yet, but sometimes it's just a matter of confidence, coaching and chemistry.

    I also believe Simms can walk in and put up some stats, in a hurry. And I like the way he is handling his role. Another team guy.

    AND......the Tom B is getting groomed.......he'll be ready soon as well.

    I will not add to the Marshall discussion........other than to say, "Brandon, be like Kyle......get ready!"

    Looking forward to a win on Sunday!!!

    I am not going to wish Orton Bad at anytime as a Bronco...

    I did notice in the piece that they said " short passes "

    This will hurt our Running Game...
    We are the Organization that " EVERYONE " wants to be a part of



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    One person can only do what they can.....I believe they call it "playing within oneself"......
    I hope he doesn't do that where anyone can see.

    Oh, you said withIN oneself. I get it. Yeah, he should totally do that!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    253
    Good news!!! . . . for the Orton Ostrich Club members. You can live in McDenial for another week.
    uhhh,this ain't Lou from Aurora

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxlibertine View Post
    Good news!!! . . . for the Orton Ostrich Club members. You can live in McDenial for another week.


    I don't understand why a positive thread can't float along without someone coming along to **** in the punch bowl. Orton has done nothing but work since coming to Denver, and he deserves to have a chance to show what he can do in a real game that matters. Until he stinks up the field during the regular season, he has my support. This is not us vs. them. We are all fans of the same team here. Or, at least I thought we were.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Granada Nicaragua
    Posts
    9,168
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxlibertine View Post
    Good news!!! . . . for the Orton Ostrich Club members. You can live in McDenial for another week.
    McDenial - how very clever of you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,754
    Unfortunately hard work and determination alone doesn't always equate to wins.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,351
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    Unfortunately hard work and determination alone doesn't always equate to wins.
    I have a hard time imagining that the opposite would EVER equate to wins.

    Supporting McD since 2009.

    Adopted Bronco....Daniel Graham!

    Adopted by Chillez! :salute!:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •