Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endzo View Post
    ...who is constantly criticized, even after a win?

I think he is. I mean, 91.2 rating and no INT's, but still people just can't get off his back.

No one calls out the wide receivers for not getting open, and they have not been doing a great job of getting open. Orton has had all day in the pocket and still our wide outs struggle.

Get used to Orton, because all he does is win.

/rant
    Don't worry about it.

Just relax and wait until after game 8 and we'll know what kind of season Orton will have. If he's still doing reasonably well at that point, we can say he's probably going to be back next year.

If not, then buckle your seatbelts lil' Bronco fans, because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
    why use facts when you can use your emotions to back up your statements... like a woman?
    I bet you get a TON of dates with that attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by KO8pectate View Post
    Most would say great QB's become ELITE AFTER winning the SB and you become great by consistently putting your team in a position to get to the SB.

Ive never heard of a ELITE QB who has never won a SB.
    Dan Marino & Dan Fouts
    Last edited by jpark31; 09-28-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    I Love Orange Crush!

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Re1) Orton's been boo'd regularly since college because it's obvious he sucks.
    Re2) Great system to play in, yet Russel had a higher comp% today.
    Re3) They're open, at least the ones not clearing defenders, but Orton needs them WIDE-OPEN so his girly throws aren't picked.
    Re4) By throwing incompletions and handing-off, Orton doesn't lose games. But that doesn't cut it and he'll be benched soon.
    /fact
    Hmm, I suppose he could have been boo'd at Purdue, hard to say as he was the top runner for the Heisman Trophy in 2004 until back to back game injury sidelined him for a month after a 5-0 start. He also tied Drew Brees record for most passing yards in a game, 522 against Indiana Hoosiers. Also played in 3 consecutive bowl games during his time at Purdue. Only Brees and Hermann were the only other Purdue quarterbacks to do that. Well I guess that was just college though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Grabowski View Post
    If you followed Orton's college career, then you know he was benched his senior year because of a huge drop-off in his play as the season went on. And that's exactly what happened in each of Ortons two years as a starter for the Bears. He was terrible over the last 8 games of the 2005 and 2008 seasons. I would expect the same from him this season. If he was like that in college and in the NFL so far, he'll probably tank it this season too.

Also in college he was known for throwing a horrible deep ball. Everything I said can be found in this scouting report before he was drafted by the Bears:

One thing will stick out to NFL scouts – watching him throw a long ball is just plain painful. They’re either off target ( a long way ), underthrown so the receiver has to slow down to a crawl to receive it, or he sits in the pocket so long he gets snapped in two. Another warning sign has to be his benching towards the end of his senior season when it all fell apart rather briskly. One more slight knock is that he played almost all of his college career out of the shotgun spread offense, and will take a long time to adjust to the complexities of an NFL passing scheme.

Ahhh, don't you love scouting reports! Probably written by people that had limited exposure to watching Orton, if at all. You know, I could write* a scouting report on Tim Tebow, post in a website, and some dumb schmo might take me for an expert. And believe me, I know nothing about Tebow. See, the report neglected to mention why Orton was benched. He suffered an injury midway through the 2004 season: bone spur in the hip. This is a pretty painful injury since throwing the ball requires one to torque the hips. Now, at the time of the injury, Purdue was ranked #5 in the BCS poll. If he was benched as soon as he got the injury (like he should have been), there would have been no chance of Purdue winning (the backup sucked). Unfortunately, he was in no shape to be starting games. It was evident that the spur was affecting his performance in the Wisconsin game: lost 17-20 on a last minute fumble (exciting as hell though). After a second consecutive loss, against Michigan, there was no chance of us making it to a high-profile bowl game. So, instead of risking further injury, Coach Joe Tiller benched Orton in order for him to heal.

You are correct that there was a drop-off in numbers at the end of the season; however, I think any QB with a hip spur would have their numbers drop off. Also, are you seriously using Orton's rookie season to justify your argument that his performance deteriorates throughout the season, geesh. Most rookies would have horrendous numbers throughout the year. I don't know about you, but a rookie that assists a team to 10 wins deserves a little admiration. I seriously doubt a healthy Grossman would have done the same that year.

As for the scouting report, you are right, Orton does not have the best long-ball, but he has the capability of throwing them. However, he does have one attribute that I will take over the long ball: good judgment. I'd take a QB that can analyze the field and check down to an open receiver over a QB that can throw a beautiful long ball, but neglects to realize the receiver is double-covered.

The post of mine you quoted was addressing the supposed "boos" Orton was receiving at Purdue. This statement is completely false. I can not recall one time where the crowd booed Orton, even after losing the fumble in the Wisconsin game.
    Last edited by PurdueBronc; 09-28-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endzo View Post
    Oh great points.

He will be benched soon? Another awesome prediction. just like the one you had for this game, right? Oh wait, we won. We dominated, actually.

Seriously looking at your posts you are nothing but a blind Orton hater.
    MeThinks his wife said Orton is cute!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KO8pectate View Post
    Most would say great QB's become ELITE AFTER winning the SB and you become great by consistently putting your team in a position to get to the SB.

Ive never heard of a ELITE QB who has never won a SB.
    Warren Moon, Jim Kelly

Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

You know, I was going to start my own post, but thought I would chime in here.

I see our weakest link right now as our QB. I remember having the same feeling about Greise when he was under center as I do now about Orton. He is smart sure, and wont go Jamarcus on you. But at the same time, if you are down by 6 with 2 minutes to go in the 4th with 80 yards to go.... No one can really tell me that they like our chances.

I think that i why i liked 6 so much. Cause he was the first QB since 7 strapped on a Broncos helmet where you were fixed to your TV and you had confidence. Cutler had the ability to put the team on his back and find a way to make it work. Now, I know he didnt all the time, but nonetheless, that was how i felt about him.

With Gresie, Plummer, Orton etc at the helm, i am just hoping he doesnt mess it up. It has nothing to do with fantasy numbers. It has to do with how you feel with him leading the huddle in the 2 minute drill. The cinci game is a perfect example of this. We needed him to lead, and he did his best impersonation of jamarcus russel, fixated on B march, telegraphing ducks out 30 yards downfield. It was nasty. And against harder teams, this scenario will happen again. He will need to carry our team, not support it.

And until that happens... My opinion of him will not change.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronheeb View Post
    I think that i why i liked 6 so much. Cause he was the first QB since 7 strapped on a Broncos helmet where you were fixed to your TV and you had confidence.
    confidence that he would have at least one bone-headed turnover per game

he's gone. get over it. i'm much more confident in ourteam this season

I see our weakest link right now as our QB. I remember having the same feeling about Greise when he was under center as I do now about Orton. He is smart sure, and wont go Jamarcus on you. But at the same time, if you are down by 6 with 2 minutes to go in the 4th with 80 yards to go.... No one can really tell me that they like our chances.

I think that i why i liked 6 so much. Cause he was the first QB since 7 strapped on a Broncos helmet where you were fixed to your TV and you had confidence. Cutler had the ability to put the team on his back and find a way to make it work. Now, I know he didnt all the time, but nonetheless, that was how i felt about him.

With Gresie, Plummer, Orton etc at the helm, i am just hoping he doesnt mess it up. It has nothing to do with fantasy numbers. It has to do with how you feel with him leading the huddle in the 2 minute drill. The cinci game is a perfect example of this. We needed him to lead, and he did his best impersonation of jamarcus russel, fixated on B march, telegraphing ducks out 30 yards downfield. It was nasty. And against harder teams, this scenario will happen again. He will need to carry our team, not support it.

I didn't feel that way about Cutler. My butthole puckered every time he threw across his body off his back foot to the opposite side of the field to a triple covered receiver.

Hooray, beer!

Aaron, you are either not doing your homework, or refuse to do it, but Orton's best asset is the 2 minute drill. Probably one of the top 10 QBs in the game at that facet of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jakemcclain View Post
    Aaron, you are either not doing your homework, or refuse to do it, but Orton's best asset is the 2 minute drill. Probably one of the top 10 QBs in the game at that facet of the game.
    Again... i ask you to rewatch the 2 minute drill he executed against Cinci. That was just atrocious....

I didnt really watch him in Chicago. I just know he was never comfortable there and there was always a QB controversy as to wether it was him, Grossman or Greise...

Maybe i am in the minority here and the majority of you are seeing Orton as a positive and would rather have him running our offense than anyone else. I am not in love with Cutler and really didnt write off McDaniels for it. But Orton has not shown the Bronco faithful that he can lead a team. He has shown that he can manage a team.

And until he leads, I think the negative press and undertones of fans will persist.

What about the 2 minute drill he executed in the first half against Cincy.....the one that netted three points before the half? Forget that one?

I saw many in Chicago. He was just fine there. Had his troubles, no doubt, and wasn't the star, but he had his fans.

I hope Jay leads my team to the promised land, but I really wish Orton was our backup right now. 33 games is a world of difference to zero from our other backups. With that said, I'll root for Kyle to succeed in Denver. I was an Elway fan growing up, so it'll be easy to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jakemcclain View Post
    What about the 2 minute drill he executed in the first half against Cincy.....the one that netted three points before the half? Forget that one?
    That one doesn't count. Cincy obviously has a sub-par defense.

MCDANIELS On QB Kyle Orton

"We don't ever talk about our quarterbacks as game managers, but you want a quarterback to be efficient. You want him to be able to run the operation at the line of scrimmage and in the huddle very well. He got us in and out of a bunch of plays at the line of scrimmage in the running game. Nobody talks about the quarterback when you run for 215 yards, but when he is getting you out of a play that is going to go nowhere and you gain 26 on the other play, he plays a part in good running. Doing that is a big part of what we ask our quarterbacks to do, not turning the ball over, taking care of the ball and being effective when he has got people open and being accurate. Kyle certainly could have done better than he did yesterday but (he) played well. We are going to work hard to fix a few things that he didn't do well."

On the difference between being a game manager and managing a game

"We do not go into the week going, ‘Hey, we are just going to make sure we take care of the little things and that is it.' Look, we would like to have explosive plays and do that every week. Against Cleveland, we had a few of those. Some weeks they are presented to you and some weeks they are not. I am just saying that we do not go into each week going, ‘We are only going to throw for 140 this week. Just make sure you don't do anything negative.' We are going to try to attack a defense in every way, shape or form we can. Once the game declares itself, once you have a 17-point lead in the third quarter, you are not going to do too many things that put the game in jeopardy if you feel comfortable with where you are at. That is what happened yesterday."

On what constitutes an explosive play

"(When) we get runs over 15 yards and passes over 20 or 25 yards. To me, that changes field position dramatically. We have had quite a few of those here in the last few weeks, and they are all good plays. They take a lot of people to execute them well. We don't get an explosive play with just the back making a good play. You need everybody."

On what Orton needs to improve on

"A quarterback has 10 or 12 things to do once he claps his hands to break the huddle, so there is a lot of responsibility on his plate from the cadence to the identification of the protection to which run play should we go to, to reading the blitz and figuring out if he has to get rid of it to reading the coverage to determine where he is going to throw it, then to reading our receivers to determine if they are open. There are a lot of things that he has got to do, and he does a lot of them well. I have never been around a quarterback that has played a game where I went, ‘Boy! That was a perfect game.' There is just too much on their plate to come off the field and say, ‘Boy! I couldn't make any corrections to what you did.' There is a little thing here or there with his footwork in the pocket. We could be a little bit more accurate if our feet were better. Things like that. You have really got to correct all of the little things, and then ultimately, you end up with a good product."

It seems to me that like others you have basically set out this list of personal requirements that have nothing to do with what his coach has determined is needed for him to help his team win games at this time.

And on top of that you are using the first game of the season on the road for a entirely new offense to craft your opinion .Not to mention the QB was playing with a dislocated finger wit ha splint with a glove covering it . hey Im just saying ....
    "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83