View Poll Results: Who gets your game ball?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dumervil

13 12.75%
  • Royal

80 78.43%
  • Scheffler

7 6.86%
  • Other

2 1.96%
Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Point Blank - Sound Hire!!!!!!

It may not be who the majority of us wanted (SPAGS) or at least a Defensive minded coach......THIS IS A SOUND HIRE by Bowlen!!!!! They did due diligence by bringing in 7 coaches for interviews and went with who they all thought would be best for the team as a "whole". You can't have that many people on the Board to decide this and they all agree to make a bad decision by hiring this guy, NO they made a solid choice with someone who is use to winning and has been part of three Super Bowl wins. If the guy knows the game so be it, Coach McD had a plan for our team and displayed it better than the other candidates....he will bring a new attitude of winning and that is what we needed.:salute!:
    The Train stops here!!

Welcome to Denver Josh McDaniels!!!

agreed! if we keep adding other coaches to our staff, this will help as well! now lets go draft ourselves some defensive players!!!

BRING IN MAYS!!

Is anyone else a little worried about the D-Line?

Ryan McBean and Kenny Peterson as the 3-4 DEs?

We keep hearing great things about the secondary and linebackers, but how good will they be when offensive lineman get through our line and into their faces? or when the opposing QB has 5+ seconds to throw?

Kenny had his chance last year and while he was solid, he would be a backup on most other teams. McBean hasn't even touched an NFL field.

Unless turning 30 suddenly made Peterson into a starting-caliber end and McBean somehow pans out, I hope to see new names at the top of the depth chart by the end of Training Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post

We keep hearing great things about the secondary and linebackers, but how good will they be when offensive lineman get through our line and into their faces? or when the opposing QB has 5+ seconds to throw?

Kenny had his chance last year and while he was solid, he would be a backup on most other teams. McBean hasn't even touched an NFL field.

Unless turning 30 suddenly made Peterson into a starting-caliber end and McBean somehow pans out, I hope to see new names at the top of the depth chart by the end of Training Camp.
    If the QB has 5+ seconds to throw. It wont be on the Dline.

The OLB's in a 3-4 are for rushing the passer.

I worry about every aspect and don't limit myself to the D line.

Quote Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
    If the QB has 5+ seconds to throw. It wont be on the Dline.

The OLB's in a 3-4 are for rushing the passer.
    Its the D-Lines job to keep the O-line off the LBs.

I'm a bit concerned with the D-line but I actually have high hopes for Chris Baker and Marcus Thomas this year at NT.

We have some interesting options in which none could pan out or a couple could at DE/NT.

"Tough times don't last, tough people do" ~Mike Shanahan

I think our D-Line is going to be fine this year.We picked up some great players in this off season B-4 the drraft.Our offense should also be great.I have a good feeling about Kyle Orton.I saw when he was playing with the Bears.He seems more comfortable when he was being pressured from the D-Fense.I see good thing 4 Denver this year.

I think Doom will finally be in his comfort zone with the new scheme. I really never felt like he was given the chance to shine in the 4-3.

I expect him to be a playmaker for us this year.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

What's the 411 on Carlton Powell?

Carlton Powell had an achillies injury last year(Rookie). He is still on the roster so I'm hoping he is progressing well???

Carlton Powell
    A defensive tackle who started 13 games in each of his final two seasons at Virginia Tech University, helping the Hokies rank no worse than fourth in the nation in both total yards per game and points per game allowed during those years.
    Finished his Virginia Tech career as the only Division I-A player who held opponents to negative rushing yards (-13 yds. on 106 att.) on running plays directed at him according to NFLDraftScout.com.
    Had career highs in tackles (39) and sacks (3.5) in 2007 on a Virginia Tech defense that posted top-5 national rankings in scoring defense (3rd), total defense (4th) and rushing defense (5th).
    Started all 13 games for the Hokies in 2006, helping the Hokies lead the nation in scoring defense (11.0 ppg.) and total defense (219.5 ypg.).
    Received all-region honors from PrepStar as a senior at Great Bridge High School in Chesapeake, Va., where he played inside linebacker for three seasons before switching to defensive tackle.
    Selected by the Broncos in the fifth round (148th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.
    This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

No, Have no reason at this point. Its all new (coaches, players) so I'll wait. I'll leave the arguing to others.:go:

No need to worry about a lost cause. The D-line is going to suck. Kenny Peterson, Fields, and McBean wouldn't start on any decent defense.

Yes it worries me a lot actually, not having even a set starter at NT is whats going to kill us. The NT is by far the most important position in the 3-4 and without one its tough to do much of anything. Stopping the run is whats going to kill us yet again this season...

Quote Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post

I am a bit concerned at this point, to be honest. I like Peterson for depth, but.......

I think that we don't have to get to far ahead of ourselves with the depth chart however. Last year Colbert was #4 on the depth chart and we know how that turned out. Additionally, Moreno is not slotted to start, and he probably will be sometime soon.

Sometimes I think depth charts at the beginning are used to spark intense competition.

There are a lot of players that are buried on the depth chart right now that will probably be getting playing time once the season starts, such as Carlton Powell, Marcus Thomas, and Smith.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

As far as I know ...

... they haven't even started hitting yet. As football guys know, you learn nothing until then. A player can go all Summer wowing everyone in agility drills and in the weight room ... in shorts; and just in helmets. But, when the gear goes on, you find out. Remember the guys who looked great in the Summer, but when the hitting began, they disappeared?

Point is, to my knowledge, there are eight D-Linemen whom I have never seen hit anybody while wearing a Bronco suit: Fields, Askew, McBean, Parker, Powell, Baker, Pedescleaux and Davis. The last four guys might as well all be rookies as Powell was on IR before TC in '08. They are more interesting to me than the first four. If I had to guess, I'd say more of the latter four will make the team than the former four. Powell was outstanding against the run when he played at Virginia Tech.

We saw the other three (Clemons, Peterson and Thomas) play last year ... in a split-front/4-3 D. It's different when a DL switches from 3 tech. to 5 tech., or from 3 tech. to NT. As housemouse and Botan pointed out, pass rush will mostly come from the OLB/DEs. The three down linemen must be stout and soak up blocks. The three left from last year can do that; especially Thomas.

Precious little is leaking out about Nolan's scheme, but some kind of single-gap, aggressive, slant/pinch, non-passive style seems possible. The six or seven they keep will need to constantly rotate and be completely interchangeable. We may see the NT types line up as 5 tech. on the strong side.

It's June and a ways to TC. The four preseason games will be interesting. Stay tuned. Have fun. Relax. Wayne Nunnely is an excellent DL coach for a 50/3-4 D.
    Last edited by samparnell; 06-11-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: addendum/syntax
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I'm optimistic but also worried. Until they prove they are a different defense than last year I'm always going to be a little concerned. They can stop my worries after the first couple games though.