Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Aw crap.

Just a few short years ago the Broncos defense started drawing comparisons to the 85' Bears.

I think we all know how far of a fall that was.

Just sayin.

They should be a top 10 unit at the end of the Season, as long as there isn't a giant meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Buenacolt11 View Post
    Hey, by all means, doont include schedules for any kind of complete analysis. Just throw up some numbers and go to town...

Balt - 2000

Game 1 @ Pitt
    Game 2 Jacksonville
    Game 3 @ Miami
    Game 4 Cincinnati

Denver - 2009

Game 1 @ Cincinnati
    Game 2 Cleveland
    Game 3 @ Oakland
    Game 4 Dallas

And I was waiting for this thread... really???
    Ha, and then you come on here and name 4 teams from 10 years ago, adding nothing to the table because who in the hell remembers how good a team was 10 years ago? Unless they won or went to the superbowl or something, which none of these teams did. Maybe you should post their records?..Or maybe you looked them up, and just decided that those teams weren't actually that good that year, so you didn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by redman4912 View Post
    I seriously doubt we can keep this up for 12 more games but we'll see!!
    Try another 14 or 15 more games!

I was going to check this out. Statistically, the 2009 Broncos defense as of 4 games compares favorably with the 2000 Ravens defense.

THIS MEANS EXACTLY NOTHING!

Remember that the REASON we remember the 2000 Ravens defense as the greatest defense of modern NFL History is that they did this during the entire season! NOT just a stretch of 4 games.

They then proceeded to crush the Broncos in the playoffs, then steam-roll their way to the SB where they crushed the Giants. Ray Lewis outscored the Giants offense through 3 quarters.

(Note to Homers: Do NOT flame me! I have no idea if the Broncos defense can keep this up for a full season. History and logic says they can't, but nobody thought they'd be this good either. So far they've confounded expectations. So, is it possible? Yes. Possible. Just as it was possible in 2006 when the Broncos defense set scoring records -- for a while, but then collapsed later in the year).

Life is like a box of chocolates. You NEVER know what you're going to get! You might get a nice caramel creme, or by week 16 you might just find yourself biting into a "Cockroach cluster", "anthrax ripple", "ram's bladder crisp" or "crunchy frog!"

("If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?")

Let's just hope we don't wind up with "crunchy frog" before it's all over! Last year was officially: "Chocolate surprise!" (The "surprise" is that when you bite into the chocolate steel-bolts spring out and pierce straight through both cheeks!) (Monty Python references no extra charge).
    Last edited by Cugel; 10-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You're all out of your ******* minds...
    Preach on, brother. Preach on.

It's a little early to be drawing comparisons to the 2000 Ravens. It's fun to daydream but now it's time to wake up.

As good as Champ Bailey is, really nobody on this team compares to Ray Lewis in 2000. (Brian Dawkins about 5 years ago was somewhat comparable as a team leader and impact player).

That 2000 Ravens team wasn't just good because they had a good "scheme" they had a totally dominant defensive line with Tony "Goose" Siragusa and Sam Adams. Siragusa was insane and could collapse the pocket, while Sam Adams was just a HUGE blob of goo that nobody could move. Double-team, triple team, they just would stand up blockers all day and nobody could run the ball on those two guys. I didn't look it up, but I think the Broncos had something like 60 yards rushing in the playoff game against those guys.

That was the year Siragusa did a belly flop on Rich Gannon's shoulder and put him out of action for a critical stretch of games!

With those guys in front of Ray Lewis he could go wild all over the field and make plays. He had two turnovers in the super-bowl -- one interception returned for a TD. They had a young Chris McAllister at CB too.

The 2009 Broncos really don't have players of that caliber. Perhaps in a few years if Dumervil and Ayers continue to develop.
    Last edited by Cugel; 10-07-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Our defense has been very good. But the Ravens defense was stifling against EVERYONE. Bad offenses, good offenses, bad QBs, top QBs...EVERYONE. We would need to shut down the likes of Brady, Peyton, Eli, Flacco, McNabb, and Roethlisberger, then we could entertain the notion to compare our defenses.

Blasting the Raiders, Bengals, Browns, and a banged up Dallas backfield doesn't put us in the discussion yet.

Just a question didn't bother to read through all the post but who was the coordinator for the Ravens back then?
    :go:

I'm just as happy as the next guy about our start on defense. But this defense will NOT be what that Ravens defense was. We may never see another defense that was that dominant. Some of the younger guys might not remember seeing them, but the numbers don't tell the full story. That defense was nasty as hell. Ray Ray was in his prime and was a complete stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    Just a question didn't bother to read through all the post but who was the coordinator for the Ravens back then?
    marvin lewis

Comparing a team that is 4-0 to a team that is widely reguarded as the best D in the last 20 years and took home the SB trophy.... That is just stupid
    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pride

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    I know its week 4 and things will change as we go, but I thought it would be interesting to compare our defense to the 2000 Ravens defense which many consider one of the best of all time.

2000 Ravens:
    247.9 Yds/G
    10.3 Pts/G
    2.2 Sacks/G
    3 Turnovers/G

2009 Broncos:
    239.8 Yds/G
    6.5 Pts/G
    2.5 Sacks/G
    2 Turnovers/G
    Well it certainly looks like a good comparison doesn't it? Let's be real though. Can we really keep up this pace with the teams left on our schedule? I highly doubt it. There are just too many good teams to play.

Before the season started I thought we had accumulated enough talent on defense to at minimum be at top 15 defense. Now that I've seen them play with the attitude and discipline they've showed, I think they are a top 10 defense bar none.

You couple a top 10 defense with a top 10 offense and you've got a superbowl contender. Why is it that no has seen this until now? All everyone wants to do now is bash the quarterback. Well, let me tell you, Kyle is gonna do nothing but improve all season.

As for the D, I think they'll improve also, but 6.5 points per contest cannot be held up. It just can't. I am damn proud of this team. I knew they would be a solid football team. Just look at the roster. Why would anyone not be happy from a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    I know its week 4 and things will change as we go, but I thought it would be interesting to compare our defense to the 2000 Ravens defense which many consider one of the best of all time.

2000 Ravens:
    247.9 Yds/G
    10.3 Pts/G
    2.2 Sacks/G
    3 Turnovers/G

2009 Broncos:
    239.8 Yds/G
    6.5 Pts/G
    2.5 Sacks/G
    2 Turnovers/G
    A good start, but we have to keep this up for another 12 games, so it's premature to say we're in the same realm as them just yet. We have the potential to be that good, but we need to stay healthy and be a little lucky (because all great teams always seem to be able to create some luck when they really need it and so far we've done just that) to duplicate their success on the D side.
    Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    As good as Champ Bailey is, really nobody on this team compares to Ray Lewis in 2000. (Brian Dawkins about 5 years ago was somewhat comparable as a team leader and impact player).

That 2000 Ravens team wasn't just good because they had a good "scheme" they had a totally dominant defensive line with Tony "Goose" Siragusa and Sam Adams. Siragusa was insane and could collapse the pocket, while Sam Adams was just a HUGE blob of goo that nobody could move. Double-team, triple team, they just would stand up blockers all day and nobody could run the ball on those two guys. I didn't look it up, but I think the Broncos had something like 60 yards rushing in the playoff game against those guys.

That was the year Siragusa did a belly flop on Rich Gannon's shoulder and put him out of action for a critical stretch of games!

With those guys in front of Ray Lewis he could go wild all over the field and make plays. He had two turnovers in the super-bowl -- one interception returned for a TD. They had a young Chris McAllister at CB too.

The 2009 Broncos really don't have players of that caliber. Perhaps in a few years if Dumervil and Ayers continue to develop.
    who needs Siragusa.
    we have ronald fields