Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bry422 View Post
    Denver vs. Washington – Super Bowl

Here is what I remember from watching it live, and my memory may be cloudy. Denver was up 10-0. Washington had the ball in their territory. Doug Williams dropped back for a pass, slipped on his own, collapsed awkwardly, and dropped the ball. Denver recovered, and was in great position to go up 17-0. But, from what I can recall, the refs ruled that Williams “gave up” on the play, or some sort of weird verbiage. The whole play was just weird. I think I can remember someone, maybe the broadcast team stating that the refs decision to give the ball back to Washington was due to the fact that Williams’ body “forced” the ball from his hands, like he had a spasm, and was unable to grasp a football. Anyhow, the refs gave the ball back to Washington, and we all know the rest of the story. That play and that game bother me to this day. I keep telling myself that if that call when Denver’s way, it would have been a completely different ball game. If Denver got up 17-0, Washington never discovers its ability to run that trap play with Ricky Smith. I was 14 years old at the time. I remember begging my mom to let me stay home from school the next day. Everyone in the school knew I was a Bronco fan. I lived in PA. If you weren’t a Steelers fan, you stood out. Teachers knew, students knew, the janitor knew I love the Broncos.
    when weird calls like that happen, it is usually because of gambling... meaning the refs are paid off to make one side win...

kinda like the seattle/pitt superbowl where all these horrendous calls kept going against seattle...

i wonder if denver got screwed out of a superbowl because of too many people betting them, thus the game being fixed the other way... it happens way too often in the nfl, just ask the seahawks..

It's thinking back to the games that I feel lucky not to be a Bills fan....imagine losing 4 Super Bowls in a row that you know you should have won.

Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    To me, after all the Broncos games I have watched since 1974, three standout above the rest...

#1.) Super Bowl XXXIII
    Washington 42 Denver 10
    XI too many. That was SB XXII. SB XXXIII was a great one, DEN 34 ATL 19

losing to the 9ers in week 17 of 06. miserable.
    [COLOR="black"][SIZE="4"]Demaryius Thomas Army Soldier #24[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Good post!

Lets see I don't remember the exact years but. . .

Them back 2 back losses to the Colts in the playoffs. That was embarassing!

About 5 years ago when the Dolphins were like 6-2 they came into Denver on a Monday night. They still had Jay Feeley, Chris Chambers I believe and Ricky Williams in his prime. It was a really good game til late in the 4th we drove down and Elam made a 50+ field goal to take the lead with very little time left. Then the Dolphins did the same with like just a few seconds left on the clock. Man that SUCKED!!! lol. . .

I think it was in 96 when Terrel Davis was a rookie and we had an awesome regular season but lost to the Jags in the playoffs. I was mad for a month lol. . .

In 94 I still remember watching the Monday night game Broncos VS Chiefs. Elway VS Montana. Broncos drove down Elway scrambled to score and take the lead. Then Montana drove KC down and won the game with a great play by the WR I don't remember who he was though. . .

I don't remember what year but I was extreamly young. It was the Super Bowl in which we got smashed on by the 49ers. It seriously is one of my first memories of watching football. I think Elway has turf toe or something in that game too. That sticks out for some reason lol. . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MILE HIGH TIL I DIE!!!

Oh and I can't forget the 2005 AFC Championship game. Man that was absolutely terrible. And of course my brother who's a Steelers fan had to call afterwards and talk crap. . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MILE HIGH TIL I DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 80stheman View Post
    That was a devastating loss, but I would not call it the worst loss in franchise history, and here's why. I believe that loss fueled the team the next season. They were so fired up to avenge that loss and show it was an aberration that they won the next two SBs. I would say that might have actually been the best loss we ever had, although at the time it was difficult to accept.

I think the worst loss (other than SBs XII, XXI, XXII, and XXIV, but let's not go there) was the '05 AFCCG. To lose that game, at home, was bad. I think we easily could have beaten the Seahawks and captured our third Lombardi trophy.
    You are totally right about that loss really propelling the team to excellence the next year and to a SB victory. However, I still have to say this loss was the worst for me personally because it just hit me like a ton of bricks. I was upset about this game for several weeks afterward... it was a painful loss.
    My adopted Bronco is Case Keenum

Quote Originally Posted by KansasKrista View Post
    You are totally right about that loss really propelling the team to excellence the next year and to a SB victory. However, I still have to say this loss was the worst for me personally because it just hit me like a ton of bricks. I was upset about this game for several weeks afterward... it was a painful loss.
    Totally. It was, at the time, probably the most painful loss (not counting the 4 SBs) that we ever had. And if the team hadn't responded the way they did the following year, I'd still say it was the worst loss ever.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyVoorhees View Post

I think it was in 96 when Terrel Davis was a rookie and we had an awesome regular season but lost to the Jags in the playoffs. I was mad for a month lol. . .
    Actually, Davis' rookie year was '95, but you are right, the playoff vs. the Jags was the '96 season.

In 94 I still remember watching the Monday night game Broncos VS Chiefs. Elway VS Montana. Broncos drove down Elway scrambled to score and take the lead. Then Montana drove KC down and won the game with a great play by the WR I don't remember who he was though. . .
    That was a tough loss, but it was a great game. Just unfortunate that we came out on the losing end.

I don't remember what year but I was extreamly young. It was the Super Bowl in which we got smashed on by the 49ers. It seriously is one of my first memories of watching football. I think Elway has turf toe or something in that game too. That sticks out for some reason lol. . .
    '89 season. That was bad. Worse than bad. About as humiliating a loss as I've ever seen. I didn't even watch the second half, and I never turn off the game, no matter how bad we're losing.

Quote "Super Bowl XII
    Dallas 27 Denver 10

This was the first time the Broncos broke my heart.

They really had no business in this game, and even then, I kinda knew the Broncos were in over their heads against a veteran, Championship team the calibur of the Cowboys with one of the great QB's of that era.

But beating the Steelers and the Raiders in the playoffs, though, was awesome.

That was truly a magical season....the Orange Crush, the first true season of Broncomania...awsome.

Still, the beatdown they took at the hands of the Cowboys (NINE sacks?!) was brutal. NFL films still has a clip of Too Tall Jones basically putting Craig Morton's head in a bear hug as he runs over him.

...I still say that was NOT a touchdown catch by Butch Johnson, BTW!!

He never had possession or control of that pass.

Bad call." Quote

I was watching a copy of that game recently, and that game wasn't as much of a mis-match as people make it out to be. In the first quarter, there was a Dallas possession where Denver could have recovered two fumbles, one on the punt at the Dallas 1, and on another play where Dorsett fumbled. And, before the punt, Denver had a 3rd and 12 around the Dallas 35, and instead of calling a draw and setting up a FG, Morton went back to pass and was sacked.

Also, in the second quarter, Staubach threw an INT into the end zone, and they said that he was out of bounds. I looked at the replay, and, if he touched out of bounds, it was by a hair because it looked to me that he was in. They got a FG out of that, which made the score 13-0. And finally, with the score 20-10 with around 10 minutes left in the game, the Broncos had the ball at midfield, and Norris Weese threw an out to Jack Dolbin to around the 35, and he was just out of bounds. If he is in, and they at least drive down to get 3, it is 20-13 with about 7-8 minutes left, and the Orange Crush defense may have made something special happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos4Ever1103 View Post
    What are some Broncos losses that you still think about or "haunt" you. Whether it was a blowout or a heartbreaker. List yours.

Here's mine:
    Jan. '97 AFC divisional game vs. Jacksonville. This is probably the worst loss in franchise history. We were 13-3 with the #1 seed in the AFC and home field advantage and lost to an expansion team. The only thing that makes this loss not feel so bad was the fact we won the next two Super Bowl's.

'97 at KC. I remember them winning on a late or last second field goal.

'98 at NYG. We were 13-0. Giants beat us to ruin our perfect record.

'03 vs Indy. It was a Sunday night game I believe and in the snow. We lost on a late or last second field goal.

'04 vs. Oakland. Another Sunday night game in a blizzard. Should have won, but they blocked our field goal.

'05 at NYG. Late comeback and score from Eli (to Amani Toomer I believe who was also the same guy that had the game winning td againts us in '98)

'07 Monday night vs. Packers. The announcers and ESPN broadcast the game like a home game for GB gushing about Favre, even interviewing his wife in the booth. Then Tirico LOOSING it on the call in OT (first play as we all remember) as Favre tossed the game winning TD. Man what a heartbreaker.

'07 at Chicago. Hester single handedly won that game scoring two td's on us. Again, another game that season we should have won.

What are some of your "memorable" losses you still think about??

all those mentioned plus the 2005 AFCCG.

2002 when denver lost to Miami at home. I live in south Florida so that one hurt me alot cause i thought we had it won.

2005 AFCCG
    I remember I broke my phone and a plastic chair because i was so pissed. I still think about it....

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighStud View Post
    THE 2005 AFCCG!!!!! That game still gives me nightmares as my favorite Broncos team (era) was denied a shot at a Lombardi (Wilson/SNAKE/CHAMP/LYNCH/ROD/Lelie/Anderson/Ferguson/Johnson/D-Will/D-Fox)
    Quote Originally Posted by #7Forever View Post
    There are many.....but the 1 that really really hurts is....

2005 AFC Championship game

We definately go into Detroit and beat Seattle if we win that game!
    If we would have won that game that sure would have changed the history of the Broncos. Would probably not have drafted Cutler and Shanahan would still be with us.

Oh this is a EASY one! Every Super Bowl Loss!!! You just KNEW! Without a DOUBT! That San Fran was gonna BLOW US OUT!And they happily obliged. I got to be a FRIGGIN National JOKE!!! Buffalo fans and Minnesota fans have it now.
    oh YEAH?

Quote Originally Posted by JBBronco1 View Post
    Quote "Super Bowl XII
    Dallas 27 Denver 10

This was the first time the Broncos broke my heart.

They really had no business in this game, and even then, I kinda knew the Broncos were in over their heads against a veteran, Championship team the calibur of the Cowboys with one of the great QB's of that era.

But beating the Steelers and the Raiders in the playoffs, though, was awesome.

That was truly a magical season....the Orange Crush, the first true season of Broncomania...awsome.

Still, the beatdown they took at the hands of the Cowboys (NINE sacks?!) was brutal. NFL films still has a clip of Too Tall Jones basically putting Craig Morton's head in a bear hug as he runs over him.

...I still say that was NOT a touchdown catch by Butch Johnson, BTW!!

He never had possession or control of that pass.

Bad call." Quote

I was watching a copy of that game recently, and that game wasn't as much of a mis-match as people make it out to be. In the first quarter, there was a Dallas possession where Denver could have recovered two fumbles, one on the punt at the Dallas 1, and on another play where Dorsett fumbled. And, before the punt, Denver had a 3rd and 12 around the Dallas 35, and instead of calling a draw and setting up a FG, Morton went back to pass and was sacked.

Also, in the second quarter, Staubach threw an INT into the end zone, and they said that he was out of bounds. I looked at the replay, and, if he touched out of bounds, it was by a hair because it looked to me that he was in. They got a FG out of that, which made the score 13-0. And finally, with the score 20-10 with around 10 minutes left in the game, the Broncos had the ball at midfield, and Norris Weese threw an out to Jack Dolbin to around the 35, and he was just out of bounds. If he is in, and they at least drive down to get 3, it is 20-13 with about 7-8 minutes left, and the Orange Crush defense may have made something special happen.
    Red Miller was a MORON in that game! First of all, he should of pulled Morton in the third Quarter and played Weese. Second, he platooned the WHOLE defensive line every other series! The first unit of Carter , Alzado & Chavous only gave up 10 of the 27 points. That in NO way shape or form resembled the same Orange Crush defense that I watchedthe previous 16 games in 1977.
    oh YEAH?