Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Watching these McGregor boxing videos is cracking me up. Does he not realize that Mayweather is an extremely accurate puncher and he generally goes for the head? McGregor holds his hands way too low and when he actually holds them up high they're way too far apart. Is he planning on relying on his athleticism to avoid those punches? It won't matter because Floyd waits for those open opportunities and then only hits you with 1 or 2 punches before resetting his defense and waits for another opening.

This is going to be like the Shane Mosely fight IMO. Can't wait to hear the guys in the corner in between rounds
    He supposedly got knocked out in sparring. He's sparring with Dashon Johnson, Tiernan Bradley, Louis Adolphe, and Jay Byrne, who are far from being power punchers. If this is true, it doesn't bode well. My money would be on Johnson. He's been in with a crap load of really good fighters. Never beaten any of them, but he's seen it all.

I totally agree with you about fighting with the hands down. MMA guys usually do for obvious reasons, so if they transition to boxing that's another fundamental thing they have to correct. There are a lot of pro fighters who do it, but they have the footwork and experience to pull it off. Even then, you won't see them do it very long against Mayweather. Fighters in MMA throw different combinations than boxers also. I know from watching MMA that the one, two or the one, one, two are staples in both sports (sometimes with the hook), but MMA fighters are just not used to seeing most of it. Like you said, fighting with a wide guard when you're not used to set up punches for hooks/uppercuts to the body is a not going to work. Mayweather will rip uppercuts to the body and head.

This fight is gonna be easy money in the workplace

Jesse Vargas said it was Bradley Wheeler that KOd McGregor.

I can't even tell if McGregor is taking this fight seriously, his main sparring partner is Tiernan Bradley, a 20 year old amateur boxer who is allegedly 98-2. They say he fights like Floyd and idk if that person ever saw Floyd fight because Bradley fights with his hands all the way down from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Jesse Vargas said it was Bradley Wheeler that KOd McGregor.

I can't even tell if McGregor is taking this fight seriously, his main sparring partner is Tiernan Bradley, a 20 year old amateur boxer who is allegedly 98-2. They say he fights like Floyd and idk if that person ever saw Floyd fight because Bradley fights with his hands all the way down from what I've seen.
    Agreed. At least he finally sparred Malignaggi.

I'm really excited about the Garcia/Broner fight this weekend. Opinions are all over the place on this fight, and I've been thumping my chest pretty good for Mikey.

Found some cool stuff on the Tube just messing around. In this video (2:40), Mayweather explains why he fights flat footed, and utilizes less movement. Or, in general, doesn't fight with a cadence even when he's moving:

Last edited by Spice 1; 08-10-2017 at 09:20 AM.

So why is rhythm, or lack thereof, important, and what does it have to do with McGregor?

Malignaggi talked so much that Dana White decided to post videos of the sparring session. Let's just say it does not look good for Malignaggi. Maybe he thought the UFC would never release it for strategic reasons (don't give Floyd tape to study). The "pushdown" was a legit knockdown.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post

0:07. There it is. Right hand used to disrupt and range find in order to set up the lead left hand. Common Southpaw technique mastered by Rigondeaux. This is why Mayweather does not allow himself to fall into a rhythm. A lesson he learned against Emmanuel Augustus.

Knockdown in the first vid looks like a balance shot. McGregor holding and hitting while Malignaggi is moving away.

Mayweather vs Southpaw techniques:

Jab in to set up right hand at range, which means he has to step in quickly with the back foot, but notice where Pacquiao's right foot ends up in relation to Mayweathers left foot.

Lead left hook, and pivot to immediately counter the right hand. (Check Left Hook)

Lead right hand to immediately counter right hand. Does this with the uppercut as well. (Notice how he slips the incoming left)

Slip the left, pivot counterclockwise.
    https://gfycat.com/AnyBriskBison

Pull back counter.

So what could McGregor do?

^ That's a lead left hand over the jab.

Ok, McGregor doesn't have Zab Judah's reflexes or hand speed, but you get the idea. You see Mayweather jabbing to get his lead foot outside Judah's. That's where Judah throws the right hand over the jab to check him before the right hand.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 08-13-2017 at 10:18 AM.

As a casual observer it looked like Paulie was trying to guard and stand like Mayweather, obviously giving Conor a feel of what he's going to go up against, and if you aren't used to that style I imagine it would be very difficult to functionally fight like that.

I'm no boxing expert, I have followed Daniel Jacobs ever since I saw his great story on Vice a few years back, although I am interested in this fight for the pure entertainment value as McGregor and Mayweather are both great showmen and entertainers. I feel like Mayweather has been trying to put on the show that he isn't really preparing for this fight as hard as he normally does. For example I've hardly seen in the All Access episodes Mayweather doing much training at all. This combined with the comments that he's lost a step. This has to be a ploy on his part to either draw interest in people thinking "Well maybe Mayweather's going to overlook him and slip up", or a little psychological warfare against McGregor right? Floyd doesn't seem to me the type of fighter who would allow himself to go into a fight unprepared.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    As a casual observer it looked like Paulie was trying to guard and stand like Mayweather, obviously giving Conor a feel of what he's going to go up against, and if you aren't used to that style I imagine it would be very difficult to functionally fight like that.

I'm no boxing expert, I have followed Daniel Jacobs ever since I saw his great story on Vice a few years back, although I am interested in this fight for the pure entertainment value as McGregor and Mayweather are both great showmen and entertainers. I feel like Mayweather has been trying to put on the show that he isn't really preparing for this fight as hard as he normally does. For example I've hardly seen in the All Access episodes Mayweather doing much training at all. This combined with the comments that he's lost a step. This has to be a ploy on his part to either draw interest in people thinking "Well maybe Mayweather's going to overlook him and slip up", or a little psychological warfare against McGregor right? Floyd doesn't seem to me the type of fighter who would allow himself to go into a fight unprepared.
    I agree. Paulie was shoulder rolling, which is just not his game. That, and McGregor does that a lot, so White probably took the best example out of a bundle. That's fair though. White is a promoter at the end of the day. Mayweather will react to the right hand, which is what McGregor wants, but he's not going to react the way Conor wants him to. Different looks.

How cool would it have been though, to see Lomachenko shoulder rolling orthodox? I would've loved to see those vids. Conor should've taken him up on his offer, IMO.

I like what you said about Mayweather losing a step, too. He doesn't fight like he used to, or at least hasn't chosen to fight the same way. Like he did against Zab Judah. So when May says he's lost a step, it's sort of cryptic. He's selling the fight of course, but there's also some truth in there. McGregor's ability to learn, and show Mayweather different looks as the fight progresses will determine how one sided this fight will end up. Conor does have pop w/the left, so there's just that one element that makes it interesting. He just has to keep climbing the ladder as the fight goes on. Stuff like I said earlier. Shoot that left hand to the body early, and then loop it upstairs later.

Really good vid showing some looks between GGG and Canelo:

This guy did a great job, but it does highlight a major flaw I've always seen in GGG pretty early in the vid. The problem is, Idt Canelo has the footspeed to truly capitalize on it. Erislandy Lara, for example, would. Unfortunately, Lara would get stopped by GGG in the long run. Another cool thing the vid highlights, is the slight comparison I've made between GGG and Tyson at 9:12. It's not much, but if you squint, you'd almost swear it's Mike.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 08-18-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Hey its armedequation

Dont have long to talk. Who do you have tonight? Not that im a fan but id have to take crawford based on the little bit ive seen of indongo. Indongo reminds me of a classic home run hitter that swings at everything. Like the guy on the movie "signs". "It felt wrong not to swing. Just want to see a better match than loman had. Marriaga wasnt a great opponent in my opinion.

Ive heard porter may want garcia this fall? That would be a good one.

Even though he is a shell of what he was, i still thought pac clearly won that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.dan237 View Post
    Hey its armedequation

Dont have long to talk. Who do you have tonight? Not that im a fan but id have to take crawford based on the little bit ive seen of indongo. Indongo reminds me of a classic home run hitter that swings at everything. Like the guy on the movie "signs". "It felt wrong not to swing. Just want to see a better match than loman had. Marriaga wasnt a great opponent in my opinion.

Ive heard porter may want garcia this fall? That would be a good one.

Even though he is a shell of what he was, i still thought pac clearly won that fight.
    Hey, man. I'm going with Crawford, but I'd love to see him tested. Yeah, Marriaga was nothing more than a showcase opponent. Don't know why Loma screws around with guys as much as he does. Got hit with a couple good overhand rights and got cut on a headbutt. Should've did away with the guy. If he gets the Salido rematch, I think he'll open it up earlier. Would much rather see him fight Rigondeaux, though. Would be a classic.