Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Canelo Alvarez may prove to be a bright spot in what looks like an otherwise uneventful 2014. Canelo did what I never thought he'd do by agreeing to fight Erislandy Lara, who has been calling him out for some time now. Right now, the fight is set for July 12th.

I've been of the mindset for a while now that Lara would beat Alvarez, and I'm not alone. Canelo is likely convinced that he'll KO Lara, but I applaud him regardless. Lara can be hurt. Can be worn down, but he is fast, skilled, and has some power. I haven't seen a fighter yet get away from the counter left, and I haven't seen a fighter who's defense he couldn't exploit. This fight could go either way, and so far looks like the marquee matchup of 2014.

I think blasting out Angulo and seeing Lara get dropped by Angulo may have aided Canelo's decision in taking this fight. I hope that's not the case for Canelo's sake though.
    I still want to see Manny vs Floyd, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    I still want to see Manny vs Floyd, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Yeah. Politics in boxing is at an all time low. A few guys protecting fighters, so they can get rich. There are a couple fighters out there, who are willing to fight anyone, but nobody wants to fight them. "Everyone wants a million dollars, but nobody wants to work."

A lot of people thought that Pacquiao would never be the same fighter, based on confidence. I'm not sure. Bradley has been as good as he's ever been, and Pacquiao still handled him. Sure, maybe Pacquiao has started thinking more about squaring himself up and lunging in with his punches, but he always got away with it because of his natural ability. The athleticism is not gone. You fight the same guy four times, especially a counter puncher like Marquez who will trade one shot to land a better one, and he's going to time you eventually.

I still think this fight would be as good as ever. The thing that's always intrigued me, is that a left handed fighter with a combination of speed and power is normally bad news for the shoulder roll. The left hand is harder to get away from. I think it would force Floyd at least to reset more than he wants. He wouldn't be able to just unload the counter right hand like he normally does. Don't think Manny would win, but it's an interesting dynamic. And we never know for sure what's going to happen in a prize fight. Hell, Atlas has forgotten more about the sport than I'll ever know, and he had Bradley beating Pacquiao.

Mayweather defeats Maidana by majority:

First off, didn't intend to watch this card, but glad I did for a couple reasons.

I'm convinced that Virgil Hunter is a better trainer than Freddie Roach. Watching Amir Khan under Hunter is like night and day compared to what he was under Roach. With Roach it was like throw blistering combinations and whatever, because I have to go play with my bff Pacquiao. Good luck buddy.

On to the Mayweather/Maidana fight. I had it 115/113 Mayweather. The judges, for the most part, agreed with similar scores.
    I have no idea, and probably never will, as to why Mayweather chose to fight Maidana like Broner did. Maidana is no secret. He comes straight forward and throws clubbing shots from unorthodox angles. Guys who have worked him with the jab and moved have killed him. Mayweather came out and tried to counter him, which I truly feel was a huge mistake. Maidana doesn't care about landing clean, he just wants to get you on the ropes and club you to death. As a result, Mayweather found himself down on points early. Fortunately for him, Maidana burned himself out early on, and couldn't sustain the pressure he put on Mayweather early.

For what it's worth, I still think senior would have schooled Maidana. Not only do I think Mayweather took the wrong approach in this fight, but took Maidana lightly. He damn there got himself beat.

Are the chances of Manny vs Floyd getting better due to the fact that Manny has financial issues & Floyd's pay per veiw numbers are down? I hope so, this is the fight that will sell the pay per views. This fight would be Floyd's biggest money maker ever. It's time, its just time to get it done! On a side note I'm so tired of hearing about pound for pound greatest about Floyd, I've been watching boxing for a very long time and pound for pound, prime for prime, Roy Jones Jr is the best I ever watched....
    Dread it.Run from it.

ive been a manny fan for a long time.

i get so tired of hearing floyd flap his gums about money. go be a banker...
    his latest trash talk is that manny doesnt draw ppv. what boxer talks like that? i dont ever remember tyson in his prime talking about money...i dont remember hearing ceasar chavez hand picking his opponents. Its no wonder people have gone away from boxing and frankly i hate this aspect.

ppv to me is a waste of money. i might have bought manny vs floyd 4 years ago but i wont spend money on it now.

people claim that mma is better but it looks to be going the same way...

i like roach but i dont think he can manage anymore...

and i cant stand bob arum either.
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    ive been a manny fan for a long time.

i get so tired of hearing floyd flap his gums about money. go be a banker...
    his latest trash talk is that manny doesnt draw ppv. what boxer talks like that? i dont ever remember tyson in his prime talking about money...i dont remember hearing ceasar chavez hand picking his opponents. Its no wonder people have gone away from boxing and frankly i hate this aspect.

ppv to me is a waste of money. i might have bought manny vs floyd 4 years ago but i wont spend money on it now.

people claim that mma is better but it looks to be going the same way...

i like roach but i dont think he can manage anymore...

and i cant stand bob arum either.
    lol. Bob Arum is a mega tool, but they all make me want to blow chunks. DeLaHoya with his Ginger ATM, and Al Haymon aren't much better. Right now? I'm just waiting for Floyd to go away. Seriously. I didn't even watch the last Maidana fight, because it was all just a facade anyways. He made the first fight look good, just to get the rematch and create an exit strategy to avoid Pacquiao, Golovkin, and Thurman. He might still fight Khan, but who really cares outside of hard core boxing fans?

The sad part is that, on top of his game, Floyd would beat Thurman and probably Pacquiao. But he won't fight them, because he wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants the legacy and the money. He can go 50-0, but he won't be celebrated like he did. A catchweight fight with Golovkin would be the best fight to be made right now, but if he were to fight Golovkin like Maidana, he would probably get murdered so there's no way.

i would have to disagree...i think if they both were in their prime manny would beat him as manny had the skill and he was hungry. even skill level the hungrier fighter almost always wins. floyd isnt fighting anymore hes protecting which is why hes so careful handpicking.
    i will trash talk a little here....manny helps run a country and floyd doesnt quite even know how to read...you be the judge :shrug:
    Glen Haven Fire

i would have to disagree...i think if they both were in their prime manny would beat him as manny had the skill and he was hungry. even skill level the hungrier fighter almost always wins. floyd isnt fighting anymore hes protecting which is why hes so careful handpicking.
    i will trash talk a little here....manny helps run a country and floyd doesnt quite even know how to read...you be the judge :shrug:
    Well styles make fights, and Manny had the punch output and handspeed to outpoint/outwork Floyd, so I don't totally disagree with you there. I don't necessarily think the issue would be skill as much as technique. Manny has always lacked technique IMO, because of his foot/hand speed and power. Not to mention, working with Roach, who couldn't care less about defense. Marquez never had a hard time touching Manny, or even outboxing him. The problem was always Marquez's inability to get away from or take Manny's left. That's where I think Floyd's technique would shine.

think manny will win his november fight? i dont know much about his opponent but if manny loses he seals his fate as far as any thought of a fight with floyd.

Guess ive always just been a fan of good fights...often ill watch friday night fights. I cant afford ppv anymore...our first kid will be born any day now. So i dont usually root for anyone but more so just to see a really good battle. maybe thats why i never understood people that only watched the heavy class.
    Glen Haven Fire

think manny will win his november fight? i dont know much about his opponent but if manny loses he seals his fate as far as any thought of a fight with floyd.

Guess ive always just been a fan of good fights...often ill watch friday night fights. I cant afford ppv anymore...our first kid will be born any day now. So i dont usually root for anyone but more so just to see a really good battle. maybe thats why i never understood people that only watched the heavy class.
    Chris Algieri is a tall welterweights who rides his bike and fights on the outside. He's got a couple nice wins, and he's a smart fighter. He doesn't have any power, so I don't think Pacquiao will have too hard of a time getting to him. It'll be interesting though. Like you said, if this guy outpoints Manny, it's probably the end for Pacquiao. Would be great if Pacquiao knocked him out though.

Personally, I have Algieri ranked higher than Maidana right now. lol. If that tells you anything about how I feel about Floyd's last two fights.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 10-04-2014 at 10:01 AM.

nice!

what about this thurman? us he your highest rated then golovkin? ive heard of them both but not much about them or who theyve fought...ill look into them when we go to hospital as it seems we are headed there at any time now...
    Glen Haven Fire

nice!

what about this thurman? us he your highest rated then golovkin? ive heard of them both but not much about them or who theyve fought...ill look into them when we go to hospital as it seems we are headed there at any time now...
    Golovkin and Thurman are the two most avoided fighters in boxing right now. Maidana, Porter, and Guerrero have all ducked Thurman. He's been Floyd's mandatory for the, I think, IBF for about a year now. Thurman has stupid power and very good speed. I've seen Thurman buzz/KO guys with just about every punch. He's not just one of those one dimensional power guys though. He has some skills, but he's just a little green right now, and he loads up on his punches a little too much I think.

Golovkin is a true middleweight, but he's willing to fight just about anybody. Lot of power, great chin, and a lot of amateur experience. Basically, he's really good at setting up his left hook, which just about decapitates people.

P4P I got Thurman in the lower thirties just because he can't get any good comp. Golovkin has stomped some good fighters. I got him in the top 20 right now. Honestly though, they're both top 15 fighters. Particularly Golovkin.

Hey, good luck with the kid. All the best

its seems like alot of thurmans ko punches only graze the opponent and they ko them. When he hits flush its crazy power, yeah he does load up and he turns his head away from opponent when doing so. I saw the pac call out vid. the pac i want to see him fight was just pre hatton. he had figured out how to time his crazy angles with both hands.

gonna check out golovkin now
    Glen Haven Fire

I just watched Chad Dawson get beat in his hometown, he was pretty classless in defeat. I thought he lost the fight, he just wasn't busy at all & got hit with some nice counter punches throughout the fight. He was cussing, pissing & moaning that he was robbed. Sure didn't look like the last man do hand Benard his last loss.
    Dread it.Run from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    I just watched Chad Dawson get beat in his hometown, he was pretty classless in defeat. I thought he lost the fight, he just wasn't busy at all & got hit with some nice counter punches throughout the fight. He was cussing, pissing & moaning that he was robbed. Sure didn't look like the last man do hand Benard his last loss.
    I get why he was mad, but fight could've gone either way. I agree w/you. Just because your left shoulder is hurt, doesn't mean the judges have to give you mercy points. Karpency outboxed him before his hurt his shoulder anyway. Dawson hasn't been the same since Ward whomped him.

You watch the Martirosyan fight? He's a real solid fighter, and he's being trained by Joe Goosen, who's one of my fav trainers of all time. The only guy who's really beaten Martirosyan is Demetrius Andrade. Andrade also happens to be the only guy who beat Keith Thurman in the amateurs. Somebody did a poll and asked who Canelo Alvarez should fight next. Andrade won the poll, and Alvarez immediately scheduled Joshua Clottey. lol.