Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

GGG/Canelo announced for september after the Canelo Chavez "fight"

Hard to hit with much of anything if your weight drained. Although weight drained fighters seem to be canelos flavor, its on chavez jr for taking the fight.

Glad they made the fight this year. Any longer and i wouldnt have cared as much to see it
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    GGG/Canelo announced for september after the Canelo Chavez "fight"
    So who you got? Should be a great fight. Good for boxing.

Personally, I still like GGG to win this fight, but I can definitely see Alvarez winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    So who you got? Should be a great fight. Good for boxing.

Personally, I still like GGG to win this fight, but I can definitely see Alvarez winning.
    GGG is my favorite boxer. So he's my guy, but they have such contrasting styles. It should be a fun fight to watch. I can definitely see GGG employing the same gameplan he had against Lemieux. Putting that jab to work.

Right now I give GGG the advantage because Canelo hasn't seen the power GGG has before. But GGG has to be careful with his regard to defense. Canelo will try to counter punch and point him to death. Question is can he handle GGGs power for all 12.

I'd have to imagine there is a rematch clause in the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    GGG is my favorite boxer. So he's my guy, but they have such contrasting styles. It should be a fun fight to watch. I can definitely see GGG employing the same gameplan he had against Lemieux. Putting that jab to work.

Right now I give GGG the advantage because Canelo hasn't seen the power GGG has before. But GGG has to be careful with his regard to defense. Canelo will try to counter punch and point him to death. Question is can he handle GGGs power for all 12.

I'd have to imagine there is a rematch clause in the contract.
    Agree on all of that. I also see him approaching this fight a lot like Lemieux. Definitely going to be a fun fight to watch. I think Canelo's jab is going to be a major factor as well. This fight is going to make a TON of money, so I can't imagine there not being a rematch clause. I really can't find a way that this fight doesn't deliver. GGG is going to give Canelo what he wants in the ring, and GGG prides himself on making good fights. He won't back down.

I said Chavez would provide the best version of himself, and I honestly don't know if I was wrong. He did the same thing against Martinez and Fonfara. It's just who he is.

Its hard to imagine someone trying to outpoint ggg. With everything thats been said and talked about, i cant imagine ggg using the jacobs fight plan against canelo.

Hope theres a rematch clause. Hasnt been this much hype for a fight in a few years...
    Glen Haven Fire

Who do you think has faced the harder competition on a regular basis between ggg/canelo? I guess catchweights may/should be also considered?

Looking forward to brook and spence
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    Who do you think has faced the harder competition on a regular basis between ggg/canelo? I guess catchweights may/should be also considered?

Looking forward to brook and spence
    I gotta go with Canelo on that. The weight drain thing is overhyped, I think. Let's face it, Chavez Jr is a stiff no matter where he fights at. Kirkland came down to take out Angulo in his prime before fighting Canelo, and Kirkland was very much still in his prime. He didn't have Ann Wolfe in his corner, but it wouldn't have mattered. Liam Smith...eh. Mosely was done. Cintron was never that good. But Trout was undefeated, coming off a win over Cotto. Then Canelo beat Cotto past his prime or no. Cotto is a very sound fighter, who does everything right. He'd be a tough out at 40. Dude fought Lara and Mayweather too. Doesn't get any better than that. Khan came up with the glass chin, so there isn't much you can do with that. Regardless of how they did against who they were in with, Canelo has fought the better opposition.

The thing that always got me about GGG was that he was always fighting guys who were duplicates of his fighting style. Guys who weren't going to do anything special against him. He was scrapping those guys left and right. When he got in with Brook, who came way up in weight, Brook did some serious work. Jacobs is better now than he ever was. Plus it goes overlooked that Jacobs has that 73" reach, and he's learned how to use it. Did I think he would take Jacobs out? Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean GGG has been exposed to any degree. Golovkin hasn't fought as diverse a range of fighters as Canelo, but that doesn't mean he can't do what he does successfully against them.

Overall? When both fighters have been in with top opposition, Golovkin has been more impressive and consistent to me. I had Lara beating Alvarez, and Mayweather embarrassed him. Trout gave him a hell of a fight as well. Has Golovkin fought anybody as good as those guys? No, but I don't think that tells the tale. Just means that Canelo has that experience.

I agree on canelo having the harder competition however i find jacobs being a great fight for gennedy going into this fight whereas kahn and chavez not so much. Im leaning towards ggg at this point.

Im also leaning to spence due to his style and how brook handles those types of fighters.

Btw i have to say that you should write for some kind of boxing forum. Enjoy reading your analysis more than any writers ive seen from say bn24 of boxing scene. Ive meant to say that a long time ago. This is one of my fav threads due to our discussions!
    Last edited by armedequation; 05-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    Glen Haven Fire

I agree on canelo having the harder competition however i find jacobs being a great fight for gennedy going into this fight whereas kahn and chavez not so much. Im leaning towards ggg at this point.

Im also leaning to spence due to his style and how brook handles those types of fighters.

Btw i have to say that you should write for some kind of boxing forum. Enjoy reading your analysis more than any writers ive seen from say bn24 of boxing scene. Ive meant to say that a long time ago. This is one of my fav threads due to our discussions!
    Yeah, I think Spence gets the better of Brook. Like you said, another great fight.

If I was writing on Boxing24, they'd be throwing me under bus for Felix Verdejo right now. lol. I really don't know what happened to that kid. The fighter he briefly was is not the guy who's returned from surgery on his hands. Hope he gets it turned around, but doesn't look good. I thought he was a lock for a while there, though.

The other thing about that site, is all the arguments I get into on scoring fights. Lately, the Kovalev/Ward fight. You can't reach some people. They've made up their minds, and that's it.

Your one of the best when it comes to laying out your thoughts on boxing but not saying your way is the only way. I find that opinions usually center around fighting styles more than anything. Some people love mayweathers style and some love tysons style but rarely do people like both. I dont care for mayweather style as its my opinion that you cant let the fight go 12 and leave it to the judges. Doesnt mean i dont like defensive fighters as i felt winky was robbed early in his career. Like politics its hard to change a boxing fans mind lol
    Glen Haven Fire

Spice i will try to watch the ward/kovalev fight over the next few nights that way we can discuss...

It may take me a few nights as i am studying for a train conductor position
    Glen Haven Fire

Spice i will try to watch the ward/kovalev fight over the next few nights that way we can discuss...

It may take me a few nights as i am studying for a train conductor position
    Fight could've gone either way. Like I said before, I had three rounds that could've gone either way, and had the fight even minus those three rounds. Can't remember which ones specifically. I think 6, 9, and 12 were all real close. The one major discrepancy I had w/the judges was the 3rd round. I've never scored the 3rd for Kovalev, and they all scored it for him, I think. I dunno what they were getting from the angle they were watching at.

Didnt kovalev flash knockdown ward in the 3rd?

Diego dlh is fighting tonight on espn2. Gonna try to catch it
    Glen Haven Fire

Didnt kovalev flash knockdown ward in the 3rd?

Diego dlh is fighting tonight on espn2. Gonna try to catch it
    Ward down in the 2nd.

Idk if Diego is ready for top comp, but he's close. I think he was looking for an early stoppage tonight. Came out and was putting his body into every shot. After the 3rd, he slowed down a lot. Good lateral movement, and showed a lot of angles. I think if Ruiz had a good jab, he could've done some things, but I thought De La Hoya looked damn good in the first three rounds. Like to see him go to the body more, but his combinations upstairs are nice. It's sweet how he sneaks that left uppercut in there.