Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Thread

Guess one last thought on kovalev...i didnt realize he had such bad stamina...
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    Guess one last thought on kovalev...i didnt realize he had such bad stamina...
    He had biathlon training before this fight, too. Through 12 rounds in the first fight he threw 474, and 407 through 8 in the second. He connected with 26% in the first, and 23% in the second fight. For comparison, he threw almost 600 against Chilemba at 31%. He threw almost 600 against Hopkins at 28%.

So honestly, you have to think that it was a combination of Ward making him work harder inside/defensively than Chilemba or Hopkins, and the body shots.

The other thing that probably plays a role, is how much Kovalev was putting on his shots.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 06-21-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Ok, I'm picking Canelo Alvarez to beat Gennady Golovkin. I've talked myself into it. I'm up for a CP bet if I have any takers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Ok, I'm picking Canelo Alvarez to beat Gennady Golovkin. I've talked myself into it. I'm up for a CP bet if I have any takers.
    I'll take that bet. I think the fight could either way, but I'll take GGG due to being the bigger fighter, and Canelo's willingness to stand toe to toe. I think GGG wears him down in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    I'll take that bet. I think the fight could either way, but I'll take GGG due to being the bigger fighter, and Canelo's willingness to stand toe to toe. I think GGG wears him down in the end.
    Deal. I'm banking on Canelo's boxing skills. He's not the same guy he was against Mayweather. Much smarter, and technically improved. Even if he loses, I will guarantee that he tests GGG's chin. Golovkin is going to take some monster shots in this fight.

Deal. I'm banking on Canelo's boxing skills. He's not the same guy he was against Mayweather. Much smarter, and technically improved. Even if he loses, I will guarantee that he tests GGG's chin. Golovkin is going to take some monster shots in this fight.
    I don't think less of Canelo because the loss to Floyd. I just think Floyd is impossible to beat lol. Floyd is one of the best fighters of all time. Although, prime for prime Roy Jones Jr is the best fighter I've ever watched. I wouldn't be surprised if Canelo won, and part of me thinks GGG has to knock him out to win, but it's just a cp lol. If it was cash money I would've been hesitant lol.

I don't think less of Canelo because the loss to Floyd. I just think Floyd is impossible to beat lol. Floyd is one of the best fighters of all time. Although, prime for prime Roy Jones Jr is the best fighter I've ever watched. I wouldn't be surprised if Canelo won, and part of me thinks GGG has to knock him out to win, but it's just a cp lol. If it was cash money I would've been hesitant lol.
    Yeah, I won't argue Roy as GOAT. My go to is Ray Robinson, but name a lightheavy who could beat Roy in his prime? Name a heavyweight before Ali who would beat him? You'll come up with less than 10 guys with question marks after them. P4P all time is such a difficult question though. It's like asking someone what the top 10 motor vehicles of all time are. Depends on what you like.

Yeah, I won't argue Roy as GOAT. My go to is Ray Robinson, but name a lightheavy who could beat Roy in his prime? Name a heavyweight before Ali who would beat him? You'll come up with less than 10 guys with question marks after them. P4P all time is such a difficult question though. It's like asking someone what the top 10 motor vehicles of all time are. Depends on what you like.
    I never seen Ray Robinson, even on youtube, but I have read some. I know many consider Ray the greatest. I hear Rocky some too.

I have gone back and watched a lot of the Ali fights, and I'd probably pick him as the goat. I do remember watching Ali fight Holmes when I was a kid on world wide sports, and that fight was when Ali had diminished so much he shouldn't have been fighting at all.

I remember Hearns, Hagler, Sugar Ray, Sweet Pea Pernell Whitaker, Shane Mosley, Virgil Hill, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, Tony, and prime for prime I've never seen anything like Jones live. Jones could be sloppy and still crush a opponent on pure athletic ability.

I will say that boxing is coming around again, meaning we're starting to get the great fighters fighting each other. Imo the UFC popularity has taken a tad step back and boxing is on the come up again in the public. While boxing purists such as yourself watch all of the fights, we are starting to see boxing talked about again in the national media which is great.

I never seen Ray Robinson, even on youtube, but I have read some. I know many consider Ray the greatest. I hear Rocky some too.

I have gone back and watched a lot of the Ali fights, and I'd probably pick him as the goat. I do remember watching Ali fight Holmes when I was a kid on world wide sports, and that fight was when Ali had diminished so much he shouldn't have been fighting at all.

I remember Hearns, Hagler, Sugar Ray, Sweet Pea Pernell Whitaker, Shane Mosley, Virgil Hill, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, Tony, and prime for prime I've never seen anything like Jones live. Jones could be sloppy and still crush a opponent on pure athletic ability.

I will say that boxing is coming around again, meaning we're starting to get the great fighters fighting each other. Imo the UFC popularity has taken a tad step back and boxing is on the come up again in the public. While boxing purists such as yourself watch all of the fights, we are starting to see boxing talked about again in the national media which is great.
    Funny you should mention Marciano. It's always black and white with him. People either love him or hate him. The usual knock on him is who he beat, and how simple he was as a fighter. Not a lot of people realize that he was, IMO, the best attrition fighter of all time. A lot of guys could outbox Marciano. A lot of guys could drop him, but nobody could outlast him. He was like the Spanish Flu. Eventually he was going to kill you, it was just a matter of when. I've seen interviews with old school trainers who said he was way ahead of his time as far as training. He threw combinations underwater, used a special heavybag bigger than anyone was using at the time, punched with weights. Everything he did was focused on stamina and resistance. That's probably why he clubbed so hard, and never got tired. He'd just swarm guys and break them down over 15 rounds. He could take a ridiculous amount of punishment, also. You look at the guys who fought him twice, and look at what happened to them in the rematch. They didn't want to walk through that hell a second time. He was kind of like Joe Louis in that regard. You never wanted to fight Joe Louis twice, because he would have figured you out. Louis usually figured guys out before the first fight was over. Too many guys to list, that thought they had something, before getting splattered by that right hand.

I'm with you on Ali, but as a heavyweight. He's top 5P4P though, for sure. Mid 60's Ali was a freak of nature. People who weigh over 200lb shouldn't be able to throw punches that fast, especially back then. Imagine Ali in the ring with Anthony Joshua, lol. Joe Louis is the only heavyweight who comes close, IMO.

BTW: I love Pernell Whitaker, man.

Funny you should mention Marciano. It's always black and white with him. People either love him or hate him. The usual knock on him is who he beat, and how simple he was as a fighter. Not a lot of people realize that he was, IMO, the best attrition fighter of all time. A lot of guys could outbox Marciano. A lot of guys could drop him, but nobody could outlast him. He was like the Spanish Flu. Eventually he was going to kill you, it was just a matter of when. I've seen interviews with old school trainers who said he was way ahead of his time as far as training. He threw combinations underwater, used a special heavybag bigger than anyone was using at the time, punched with weights. Everything he did was focused on stamina and resistance. That's probably why he clubbed so hard, and never got tired. He'd just swarm guys and break them down over 15 rounds. He could take a ridiculous amount of punishment, also. You look at the guys who fought him twice, and look at what happened to them in the rematch. They didn't want to walk through that hell a second time. He was kind of like Joe Louis in that regard. You never wanted to fight Joe Louis twice, because he would have figured you out. Louis usually figured guys out before the first fight was over. Too many guys to list, that thought they had something, before getting splattered by that right hand.

I'm with you on Ali, but as a heavyweight. He's top 5P4P though, for sure. Mid 60's Ali was a freak of nature. People who weigh over 200lb shouldn't be able to throw punches that fast, especially back then. Imagine Ali in the ring with Anthony Joshua, lol. Joe Louis is the only heavyweight who comes close, IMO.

BTW: I love Pernell Whitaker, man.
    You ever watch that boxing with Russell Crowe? I forget the name of it, but I think it's based on a true story. I just recently caught that on tv but it was a good movie.

Did you by any chance watch Oscar vs Felix back in like 99 or 2000? My friends thought I was crazy, but I agreed with the judges the Felix won that fight lol.

You ever watch that boxing with Russell Crowe? I forget the name of it, but I think it's based on a true story. I just recently caught that on tv but it was a good movie.

Did you by any chance watch Oscar vs Felix back in like 99 or 2000? My friends thought I was crazy, but I agreed with the judges the Felix won that fight lol.
    Cinderella Man. James Braddock. He's on that aforementioned Joe Louis List. Beat Max Baer (who was like Mike Tyson at the time) and then dropped Joe Louis. Louis got up and knocked him out.

Yeah, Trinidad was the real deal. He's probably near the top 5 on my all time welterweight list. Not necessarily based on how good they were overall, but based on what they accomplished at welter/super welter. I'd put him at like #3 going back to the Leonard/Hearns/Duran era.

Please put Jeff Horn in the ring with Keith Thurman. Please.

Please put Jeff Horn in the ring with Keith Thurman. Please.
    I thought Manny won the fight. I thought the decision is what's wrong with boxing. Just my opinion.

There's no consistency in the judging in the sport of boxing.

There's no consistency in the judging in the sport of boxing.
    On this fight I totally agree. I don't want to take anything away from Jeff Horn, though. He obviously trained his ass off for this fight. Pacquiao said he was sick, and he's 38 and all of that, but in his prime he would've finished Horn off. Pac in his prime would've knocked Algieri out too, though. Not to mention Horn's a natural welter. Still, if Horn trains like that for most welterweights, he puts on a hell of a show. Just not against Thurnan, Crawford at welter, Spence, Brook, etc. Those 4 guys in particular would knock him out. I disagree with Bradley in that regard.

That said, a lot of fights that fans complain about the scoring in are not that bad. For example. Roman Gonzalez/Rungvisai was worse than Ward/Kovalev I, but you don't hear people complaining about it for some reason.