Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33
    He’s not the first coach to be money whipped into changing his mind.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I hope the Big 10 is cruel to Tucker, and that this opens the door for Eric Bieniemy to make a glorious return to Boulder.
    I could certainly get behind this!!

Now the concern shifts to the recruits who committed to CU. Do they walk? Follow Tucker to MSU?

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    He’s not the first coach to be money whipped into changing his mind.
    He's not, but he was literally on 2 or 3 different radio stations yesterday re-affirming his deep commitment to CU and the unfinished business he had there. It's just bad optics.

That SUCKS! Hopefully the new recruits will stay, they had a good recruiting season. I guess it is time to talk to Bieniemy.
    What is wrong with CU? Boulder is a nice place and CU is a good/great program.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    That SUCKS! Hopefully the new recruits will stay, they had a good recruiting season. I guess it is time to talk to Bieniemy.
    What is wrong with CU? Boulder is a nice place and CU is a good/great program.
    I don't know. Before this past recruiting cycle I would have said that CU just isn't where blue chip players want to go, but after this past season, I can't say. Maybe the AD is the problem???

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    I don't know. Before this past recruiting cycle I would have said that CU just isn't where blue chip players want to go, but after this past season, I can't say. Maybe the AD is the problem???
    I argued with a lot of people on Twitter about this. They all claimed Sparty was a clear upgrade. I donít agree. Yes itís been a rough 15 years as a Buffs fan but historically Sparty is no better. They never truly compete for a natty and the one time they made a playoff Bama skunked them. They are an also ran in the Big 10 every year that benefitted from some down years at Michigan.

Sparty paid way more but thatís a school/conference idiocy problem not a capability problem.

Thereís a lot of analysis going on on Twitter this week about greed in the PAC-12 and Big 12 by the conference show runners. The analysis showed they are both making more money off tv deals and other areas. But they are both paying out significantly less to the schools and coaches than the sec and Big 10. Both are paying out way less for recruiting as well. Itís not a capability problem. Itís a greed problem.

There has also been a lot of discussion about how despite all the money neither conference is putting out a quality product. They recommended another conference realignment where you make a power conference with Oregon, USC, Texas and Oklahoma as your star power. And if they donít soon they anticipate the PAC-12 could be wiped out as a power conference by 2030.

The sad thing is with that kind of realignment I could see Colorado not making the cut and being relegated to a Mountain west school along with our little sister school over in Fort Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I argued with a lot of people on Twitter about this. They all claimed Sparty was a clear upgrade. I don’t agree. Yes it’s been a rough 15 years as a Buffs fan but historically Sparty is no better. They never truly compete for a natty and the one time they made a playoff Bama skunked them. They are an also ran in the Big 10 every year that benefitted from some down years at Michigan.

Sparty paid way more but that’s a school/conference idiocy problem not a capability problem.

There’s a lot of analysis going on on Twitter this week about greed in the PAC-12 and Big 12 by the conference show runners. The analysis showed they are both making more money off tv deals and other areas. But they are both paying out significantly less to the schools and coaches than the sec and Big 10. Both are paying out way less for recruiting as well. It’s not a capability problem. It’s a greed problem.

There has also been a lot of discussion about how despite all the money neither conference is putting out a quality product. They recommended another conference realignment where you make a power conference with Oregon, USC, Texas and Oklahoma as your star power. And if they don’t soon they anticipate the PAC-12 could be wiped out as a power conference by 2030.

The sad thing is with that kind of realignment I could see Colorado not making the cut and being relegated to a Mountain west school along with our little sister school over in Fort Collins.
    According to the latest figures, Pac-12 schools make at least $17 million less annually than their Big Ten counterparts in media revenue ($50 million vs. $33 million).
    Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News has already calculated that each Big Ten school will make $139 million more than its Pac-12 counterpart over the next five years.
    Tucker made $2.4 million at Colorado, is getting 5.4M to coach at Michigan St.
    Also, Alabama's mere recruiting budget, according to a recent report, is $2.6 million.

I'd say that the most "greedy" in this is Tucker. It sounds like he left because of the money offered? It looks like the Big10 is more capable of paying out big money than Pac12 teams are.

Frustrating that CU apparently can't compete financially with, at least the Big10 and SEC.

According to the latest figures, Pac-12 schools make at least $17 million less annually than their Big Ten counterparts in media revenue ($50 million vs. $33 million).
    Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News has already calculated that each Big Ten school will make $139 million more than its Pac-12 counterpart over the next five years.
    Also, Alabama's mere recruiting budget, according to a recent report, is $2.6 million.

I'd say that the most "greedy" in this is Tucker. It sounds like he left because of the money offered? It looks like the Big10 is more capable of paying out big money than Pac12 teams are.

Frustrating that CU apparently can't compete financially with, at least the Big10 and SEC.
    The big loser in this could be Michigan State. With all due respect to Tucker, he's been an HC for 1 year and finished 5-7 overall and 3-6 in conference in a down year for the Pac 12. I see nothing compelling for them to have lured him away, especially since he doesn't have any links to the Michigan State football program.

The better play for Michigan State was likely to go with an interim HC for a year (yeah it sucks, but it's a take your medicine type thing) and then next November/December you've got a much bigger pool of candidates to choose from, and you can attract a top notch candidate. That may have even ended up being Mel Tucker at that point in time, but at least they would have had a big pool to choose from. Colorado should consider doing that if they can't get Bienemy. It's not ideal, but it saves you from panic hiring a bad candidate now (just to get someone) and then having to pay a big buyout later when you realize you got the wrong guy.

From what I read itís not lack of ability of the PAC-12 to pay their schools/coaches. Itís decision to be cheap and greedy and pocket the money and not funnel it back into the schools/coaches. If the conference was revenue sharing the way the SEC does then Colorado wouldíve been able to afford to match Tuckerís deal. Itís a choice not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The day big loser in this could be Michigan State. With all due respect to Tucker, he's been an HC for 1 year and finished 5-7 overall and 3-6 in conference in a down year for the Pac 12. I see nothing compelling for them to have lured him away, especially since he doesn't have any links to the Michigan State football program.

The better play for Michigan State was likely to go with an interim HC for a year (yeah it sucks, but it's a take your medicine type thing) and then next November/December you've got a much bigger pool of candidates to choose from, and you can attract a top notch candidate. That may have even ended up being Mel Tucker at that point in time, but at least they would have had a big pool to choose from. Colorado should consider doing that if they can't get Bienemy. It's not ideal, but it saves you from panic hiring a bad candidate now (just to get someone) and then having to pay a big buyout later when you realize you got the wrong guy.
    In fairness to tucker he started with a very bare bones roster in year one. And they improved through out the year. It was very noticeable. Then he went out together the #34 recruiting class. The highest seen at Colorado in probably 15-20 years. Itís not hard to see the optimism was real high with Tucker.

Iím sure Sparty thinks he is capable of pulling in a top 15 class. Iím not convinced though Dantonio usually out coached his classes similar to Wisconsin.

A huge signing is Antonio Alfano ... I am pretty sure he was a 5 star recruit out of high school? He was recruited by Alabama and he committed/enrolled with them but I guess had some family things and is transferring to CU. He was named the No. 1 prospect in the 2019 class by 247Sports with a perfect rating of 100, where he was also the top rated strongside defensive end and top player from New Jersey.
    Looks like a great class, Tucker is getting it done!
    And the new coach has already suspended him Indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    And the new coach has already suspended him Indefinitely.
    Too bad. For some reason his signing sounded too good to be true. Tucker leaving may be an issue with him? Not a good offseason for CU football, still had a pretty good recruiting season without Alfano.