Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 431
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Falk was held to < 50% completion rate but he did get over 300 yards, only 6.1 ypa passing, wound up getting shut down late. Great victory for the Buffs. Only 7 points given up in the 2nd half! Over 400 yards passing/rushing by Sefo. 260 yards rushing against the former #1 rush defense in the PAC12!

    1 more to go against Utah here ... GO BUFFS! ... - for a PAC12 championship appearance.
    We tend to do that a lot to "#1 rush defense's" ASU... WSU... . Anyway, I'm still waiting for my CPs for giving you guys that hot tip of a Buff victory to take to your bookies. What did I say? Double digits?

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,387
    The sad thing is I think the outside chance of a dark horse for playoffs is dwindling away.

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    The sad thing is I think the outside chance of a dark horse for playoffs is dwindling away.
    Honestly, I don't even feel bad if we miss the playoffs. No way in hell we beat Alabama, I would rather we get into the Rose Bowl against an opponent we have a chance against

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,387
    Well USC smoked ucla so Saturday is a must win

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,387
    Buffs up to 9 in both polls. Louisville stopped in at 11 right ahead of USC

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    I stop caring about the AP & Coaches polls once the CFB committee polls start. I wouldn't even care about them before that, except that I like seeing a number next to our name . But the AP & Coaches polls are usually mind-numbingly stupid, such as when they had an Ole Miss team with a losing record ranked...There is just way too much bias in those 2 polls toward certain name-brand teams/conferences *cough* SEC *cough*

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    I'm feeling a lot more confident about the Utah game, btw. Now that they are eliminated in the division race, I expect them to be at least a little deflated. No question they would be more amped up if they had a chance to win the division in the CU-Utah game. But we have a lot more to gain from this game than they do. Mental edge goes to us.

    I think the two main keys for a CU victory are:

    1. Stop Joe Williams (easier said than done, this is every time's primary focus and no team has really done it yet this season)
    2. Stop Hunter (something) from getting to Liufau regularly. He basically singlehandedly ruined ASU's offense in their game, we can't let him get going. Hopefully the coaches have a plan to neutralize him.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,387
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    I stop caring about the AP & Coaches polls once the CFB committee polls start. I wouldn't even care about them before that, except that I like seeing a number next to our name . But the AP & Coaches polls are usually mind-numbingly stupid, such as when they had an Ole Miss team with a losing record ranked...There is just way too much bias in those 2 polls toward certain name-brand teams/conferences *cough* SEC *cough*
    SEC bias? You clearly aren't paying attention.

    Between Alabama at #1 and the next best SEC team Auburn at #15 every other conference has at least two teams ranked in between them. Including the PAC-12 who has 3.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    SEC bias? You clearly aren't paying attention.

    Between Alabama at #1 and the next best SEC team Auburn at #15 every other conference has at least two teams ranked in between them. Including the PAC-12 who has 3.
    Dude, you are the one not paying attention. Yeah, NOW the SEC teams are properly ranked, because once the CFP rankings come out, AP/Coaches poll starts to mirror it. But look at earlier in the season when SEC teams were jumping up like 10 spots for beating unranked teams by 1 point, only dropping like 3 spots for losing to average teams and when Ole Miss was ranked with a losing record. That's what I mean by the bias. At this point, every SEC team besides Alabama has 3 losses, so it's impossible for the polls to rank them high, but the AP/Coaches Poll voters clearly gives the SEC special treatment, shooting them up the rankings for beating cupcake teams early in the season and barely penalizing them for losses if they lose to other SEC teams (even the lower end teams)
    Last edited by DrunkPanda; 11-21-2016 at 08:21 AM.

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,387
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    Dude, you are the one not paying attention. Yeah, NOW the SEC teams are properly ranked, because once the CFP rankings come out, AP/Coaches poll starts to mirror it. But look at earlier in the season when SEC teams were jumping up like 10 spots for beating unranked teams by 1 point, only dropping like 3 spots for losing to average teams and when Ole Miss was ranked with a losing record. That's what I mean by the bias. At this point, every SEC team besides Alabama has 3 losses, so it's impossible for the polls to rank them high, but the AP/Coaches Poll voters clearly gives the SEC special treatment, shooting them up the rankings for beating cupcake teams early in the season and barely penalizing them for losses if they lose to other SEC teams (even the lower end teams)
    Oh you mean like how Texas got ranked top 10 from unranked for beating at the time severely overrated top 10 Notre Dame.

    Or Miami from the ACC who shot up to number 10 after starting 4-0 against cupcakes. Then tailed off in conference play.

    Three teams who are not SEC.

    You mean kind of like that?
    Last edited by DenverBlood; 11-21-2016 at 07:26 PM.

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    I don't know why you are bringing up Texas or Miami. Them being overrated is not mutually exclusive from the SEC being overrated. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. But it is more ridiculous for an entire CONFERENCE to get that kind of special treatment as opposed to a few select schools

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,387
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    I don't know why you are bringing up Texas or Miami. Them being overrated is not mutually exclusive from the SEC being overrated. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. But it is more ridiculous for an entire CONFERENCE to get that kind of special treatment as opposed to a few select schools
    The point is early in the season the media overreacts to every single historical school having a win or two. It's more than an issue with just SEC.

    I'll give you the point that Ole Miss should not have been ranked. However at 1-2 you have to realize their two losses were two at the time top 10 florida st and #1 alabama. Two games they held a 18+ point lead in before their defense failed second half.

    Why would you not think that they were still a better team than their record indicates if you watched them play both of those opponents? Obviously it worked itself out in the end because we discovered they are really bad teams. But there was a legit reason people thought Ole Miss was still going to be good to begin the season.

    Name one other SEC school that was unfairly ranked in September?

    It took my Auburn Tigers to get to 6-2 before breaking the top 20. They had to smash arkansas to get in the 20's. Arkansas had a good record prior to that game so their ranking was justified.

    LSU probably should've fallen a lot further after starting 0-2 so I'll give you that. But then they reeled off 4 straight before their recent slide. But again they are getting historical treatment no different than Notre Dame, Texas or Miami.

    If you ask me it was a complete joke that 7-2 Florida was all the way down at 23 by the committee before upsetting lsu on the road saturday. Now they are 8-2.

    But to be fair it was also absurd that Wazzou was down at 22 with an 8-2 record. So I'll give you that one.

    My point is people want to hate on the SEC but they aren't the only one's getting unfair boosts for beating a historical top name. Even if people should've known Notre Dame would suck after having 6 starters kicked off the team.

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    "Name one other SEC school that was unfairly ranked in September?"

    Easy answer, Tennessee. They barely squeak by App State when they really should have lost. Barely squeak by Ohio. Inexplicably beat Florida in a game where they looked absolutely terrible for most of it (no idea what happened in the second half, but I think that was more Florida letting up on the gas too much than Tennessee doing being good). Ended the month ranked #11 (you have to agree that was a joke at the time).

    Anyway, you bring up some fair points about historical names, but here's an example of what I mean about the SEC being overrated.... I was watching the Auburn vs Vanderbilt game, where Auburn was getting outplayed for the vast majority of the game. Auburn ends up squeaking out a win and the commentators say "make no mistake, this was a quality win over a quality opponent". This is my main reasoning for the SEC being overrated.

    With other conferences, if a non-traditional power team is doing well, the media narrative is "well, they haven't played anybody yet" such as Washington. But with the SEC, it's "wow, Auburn beat Vanderbilt! That is amazing, that is an NFL quality team, right there. They are in the SEC after all! That's even tougher than beating an NFL team!". Yes, I know I'm exaggerating, but you get the point. I actually think the bottom half of the Pac 12 is better than the bottom half of the SEC this year, you might disagree but you can't say there is a huge difference between the two. And yet, the narrative is "Washington hasn't beaten anybody" vs "Vanderbilt (I've also heard the media say Kentucky is deceptively good) is a quality opponent (implication, because they are in the SEC)"

    Anyway, I don't want to talk about the SEC anymore, especially in the Colorado Buffaloes thread

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,113
    Back to CU talk again.... I'm starting to get more nervous about the Utah game again. The problem is that this is a BAD matchup for us. Their strengths match up against our weaknesses. We struggle in run defense, especially against the faster running backs (Joe Williams is the fastest back in college football probably). Our main weakness on offense is our offensive line and Utah's best unit by far on defense is their defensive line. I'm just hoping that Utah is demoralized by their lost opportunity to get to the Pac 12 championship game and mail it in. Because if they come out fired up, this could be a long game

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,387
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    Back to CU talk again.... I'm starting to get more nervous about the Utah game again. The problem is that this is a BAD matchup for us. Their strengths match up against our weaknesses. We struggle in run defense, especially against the faster running backs (Joe Williams is the fastest back in college football probably). Our main weakness on offense is our offensive line and Utah's best unit by far on defense is their defensive line. I'm just hoping that Utah is demoralized by their lost opportunity to get to the Pac 12 championship game and mail it in. Because if they come out fired up, this could be a long game
    I agree I derailed. The only thing I'll say to the Auburn Vandy thing is Ohio st didn't get punished for narrowly beating Northwestern at home and also didn't get punished for barely surviving 3-8 Michigan St who went for 2 instead of OT. And the narrative was "well it's a big rivalry". Auburn also would've beaten Vandy by double digits had Pettway not torn his hamstring on a breakaway 75 yard TD run. Shoulda woulda coulda though. So again it's not only the SEC getting that treatment.


    But I agree back to the thread on topic. I'm not that worried about Utah at all actually. I'm much more confident than last week. Wazzou with leaches offensive style I thought presented very big issues for us. And we adjusted at half and handled it.

    I don't necessarily agree with a bad matchup either. Utah's offense is nothing to be feared. I think our defense is good enough to slow them more than Wazzou. You may be right on the oline weakness but I don't see Utah as more stout on the Dline than UCLA or USC. Granted that was a 20 and 17 point output but the defense held their own in both of those games.

    I could see this being a grind like the UCLA game but I still see our momentum being too much for Utah right now. We are better than them so we just can't fold to the pressure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •