Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

The Soccer Thread

The Thinking Thread III: Thoughts Think Again The random thoughts of SoapChatters are still brewing and they once again have a home

I see a cup for Dundee United this season!

Super-Buddies-Go-Ballistic-Celtic-Are-Atrocious

Quote Originally Posted by Andyy_47 View Post
    Well pozzy, hats off to your team, you played us off the park for large parts of the game. How yous lost to a 9 man team is beyond me! I'm happy, not with the performance, but the result, it was extremely disappointed that we didn't put in a good shift, but winning does me happy, now I'm off to get absolutely blitzed to celebrate.

It's been a week I won't forget in a hurry. Sunday at Hampden was the lowest point in my 33 years supporting St Mirren. We were so good in the first half, but couldn't get a goal, then we bottled it and fell to pieces against 9 men.

Fast forward 3 days and we face Celtic - we won 4-0, the result also earning Celtic manager Tony Mowbray the sack. Oh my aching sides. We were sensational. Celtic's worst defeat to anyone outwith Rangers in 30 years. Just brilliant.

I was at both games. From the depths of despair to the top of the mountain in a few days. Honestly, every St Mirren season ticket should carry a government health warning.

I'm still receiving counselling, but my valium intake is decreasing.
    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

I nearly see that game last night as being a win win for everbody now.. St Mirren fans obviously delighted and it gave Gers fans a great laugh the same night they went out of the scottish cup...Sure it was humiliating for Celtic, but they were never going to win the SPL after the last old firm anyways and it got them rid of Mowbray, who imo has done much more harm than good during his time there.

Say what you like about Strachan when he was there, he got the results, 2 last 16 qualifications in the champions league and 3 SPL titles, yet got binned the minute he doesnt win the SPL title...

Mowbray comes in, has the club out of Europe by August(although, to be fair, Arsenal was a NASTY draw) and out of the title race by late February, while meanwhile selling quality players like Scott McDonald and Gary Caldwell, just papering over the cracks with a loan signing of Robbie Keane... It's not like Rangers' squad vastly improved this year either, it probably weakened from last year, with Mendes and Ferguson now gone...
    However, Walter Smith(who i have great respect for) is a FAR better manager than Mowbray and still got the results. Mowbray just matched Rangers' squad losses with some equally crucial players from celtic (and then a few more) while not getting the performances out of his team, with last nights result a clear example.

For all the criticism Strachan took, he still won the trophies and took the title race to the wire the year he didnt win it. I guarantee Celtic would have won at least 1 old firm this year if he was still at the helm, for one thing, even if it would have been flukey.

Either way it was time for Mowbray to go, so last nights result was good for them in that sense. Hope Neil Lennon can do a better job, i have great time for him and it would be fitting if he had success at Celtic, given his legend status there.
    Manning Fatigue (noun): The act of being sick as hell of watching a HOF qb take half of forever to decide what to do and just wishing he'd make up his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by milehighireland View Post
    I nearly see that game last night as being a win win for everbody now.. St Mirren fans obviously delighted and it gave Gers fans a great laugh the same night they went out of the scottish cup...Sure it was humiliating for Celtic, but they were never going to win the SPL after the last old firm anyways and it got them rid of Mowbray, who imo has done much more harm than good during his time there.

Say what you like about Strachan when he was there, he got the results, 2 last 16 qualifications in the champions league and 3 SPL titles, yet got binned the minute he doesnt win the SPL title...

Mowbray comes in, has the club out of Europe by August(although, to be fair, Arsenal was a NASTY draw) and out of the title race by late February, while meanwhile selling quality players like Scott McDonald and Gary Caldwell, just papering over the cracks with a loan signing of Robbie Keane... It's not like Rangers' squad vastly improved this year either, it probably weakened from last year, with Mendes and Ferguson now gone...
    However, Walter Smith(who i have great respect for) is a FAR better manager than Mowbray and still got the results. Mowbray just matched Rangers' squad losses with some equally crucial players from celtic (and then a few more) while not getting the performances out of his team, with last nights result a clear example.

For all the criticism Strachan took, he still won the trophies and took the title race to the wire the year he didnt win it. I guarantee Celtic would have won at least 1 old firm this year if he was still at the helm, for one thing, even if it would have been flukey.

Either way it was time for Mowbray to go, so last nights result was good for them in that sense. Hope Neil Lennon can do a better job, i have great time for him and it would be fitting if he had success at Celtic, given his legend status there.
    We now have a superb record of getting opposition managers the heave-ho. Dunfermline fired Jim Leishman after a loss at home to St Mirren, Rangers gave Paul Le Guen the bullet after we drew 1-1 at Ibrox, and yesterday Celtic canned Mowbray after we humiliated his troops 4-0.

Tomorrow we go up to Aberdeen, where Muttley McGhee is packing clean underpants for the upcoming 90 minutes. I also have it on good authority that John Hughes is frantically scanning the upcoming fixture list to make sure his hapless Hibs side aren't due to face the mighty Mirren.

No manager is safe.
    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

To be fair, take away Jerome Rothen's loan spell, and you see Rangers haven't signed a player for 18 months. To lose the league cup and league to a team that has done nothing got gotten weaker over the course of 18 months and is in financial crisis is shocking. Celtic have dug their own graves, potential investors while see Rangers as a more viable business optional now with the Champions League kitty in place, and a relatively stable manager and staff in place.

With some money, things could be looking up!

To be fair, take away Jerome Rothen's loan spell, and you see Rangers haven't signed a player for 18 months. To lose the league cup and league to a team that has done nothing got gotten weaker over the course of 18 months and is in financial crisis is shocking. Celtic have dug their own graves, potential investors while see Rangers as a more viable business optional now with the Champions League kitty in place, and a relatively stable manager and staff in place.

With some money, things could be looking up!
    Yeah, in the 90s when Rangers were in total control of the Scottish league, Celtic were struggling financially... what did Rangers do? Like a true rival, they kept on winning, effectively going out in a boat to a drowning Celtic, putting a hose in its mouth and turning on the tap. Indeed, Celtic VERY nearly went bankrupt back then.

Fast forward to now and Celtic allow a Rangers team in deep financial crisis to gain a foothold and climb back into control...

While Rangers did everything to hurt Celtic more when Celtic had money troubles, Celtic basically went out in a boat and rescued their drowning enemy by refusing to spend money, despite a near debt free status and by not strengthening the stranglehold they held on the SPL up to a year ago.

Rangers have only begun to make them pay for it.
    Manning Fatigue (noun): The act of being sick as hell of watching a HOF qb take half of forever to decide what to do and just wishing he'd make up his mind.

Arsenal, that won't help you win the league!

Lampard today was outstanding, I still reckon they finish third though.

Arsenal, that won't help you win the league!

Lampard today was outstanding, I still reckon they finish third though.
    Didn't I say a few posts back that Birmingham could prove tricky for Arsenal? Seems i got that one spot on!

Yeah he had one of the games of his life. At least he's on my fantasy team!

You reckon they'll finish 3rd still? So id guess you think we'll win next saturday?

The way today panned out, if we get the 3 points next saturday, its ours to lose...

Quote Originally Posted by milehighireland View Post
    Didn't I say a few posts back that Birmingham could prove tricky for Arsenal? Seems i got that one spot on!

Yeah he had one of the games of his life. At least he's on my fantasy team!

You reckon they'll finish 3rd still? So id guess you think we'll win next saturday?

The way today panned out, if we get the 3 points next saturday, its ours to lose...
    Well that's Arsenal well and truely out of the title race. Fabregas is out for the season!

Hopefully the Gers pick up 3 points on Saturday and stop arsing around and playing terribly against dangerous teams like St. Johnstone and Dundee United like that have two times in the last two weeks!

Man United might be in dire straits losing Rooney for a week or two though...

Wassup you soccer fans I recently just bought Fifa 10 and am loving it so far. I made a virtual pro and I want him to be a forward (Left footed) but what freakin puzzles me is all these damn position names that I have no clue what they are!

So my question is what are the differences between ST, L(R)S, L(R)W, R(L)F, CF? What exactly do these positions do?

If someone could give me the info on these and the rest I'd be more than happy to reward you with CP's.

Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
    Wassup you soccer fans I recently just bought Fifa 10 and am loving it so far. I made a virtual pro and I want him to be a forward (Left footed) but what freakin puzzles me is all these damn position names that I have no clue what they are!

So my question is what are the differences between ST, L(R)S, L(R)W, R(L)F, CF? What exactly do these positions do?

If someone could give me the info on these and the rest I'd be more than happy to reward you with CP's.

A general team will set up like so:

Goalkeeper (GK) - Self Explanatory, protect the goals with your hands. I can't even give you a best in the world, goalkeepers mostly blow very hot and cold.

Centre Backs - They're job is to play backs to the wall football, man mark the strikers, generally, and tackle the opposition to gain possession. Another form of this role is the Sweeper (SWP), who is literally as far back as you can go who is there to "sweep" up afterwards and get the ball out of dangers way. Too much debate as to who is the best in the world here. I'd put Terry head and shoulders above everyone, in his prime, going through a bad patch now though.

Full backs (LB/RB) - Protect the flanks from crosses coming in. In recent memory the position has evolved with Wing Backs (WBR/WBL), who also provide attacking options, a good example of this in the modern era is probably Dani Alves of Barcelona, the best in the business at the attack side of the defenders game.

Midfielders:

There are two roles of a midfielder, the defensive midfielder (DM), who is an anchorman between the defense and midfield and try to disrupt attacks and protect their backline, and this is usually against the opposite number in midfield known as the attacking midfielder (AMC). The attacking midfielder tries to link the ball to his strikers and start attacks. Both would fall under in fifa under the term (CM)

Three of the best in these positions are the pairing of Xavi and Iniesta and Fabregas as far as linking the balls to attack go. Other honorable mentions to go Lampard and Kaka

Wingers (LM/RM) try to expose the flank and cross the ball into their strikers to score as simply as possible with an easy chance coming from a good cross, usually.

Best out and out Winger in the world right now would probably be Franck Ribery
    Sadly there's no videos of him doing what Wingers do best, but believe you me, this guy is a fantastic winger.

Forwards:

This is by far the most complicated position because of the way different teams use their strikers, who are more than often the focal point of any team.

There is the Centre Forwards (and incorporated sides of the field, such as LF/CF/RF). These players are more likely the play with the ball at their feet, and are the complete package as far as strikers are concerned, perhaps less polished at finishing but that varies from player to player. The best in the business (debate over this since their roles are debatable) is Lionel Messi. The ridiculously gifted Argentian is unanimously the best footballer in the planet right now, I'm sure everyone will agree there, and I would have him pegged as a forward.

Out and out strikers (ST) usually play up front themselves and play on the shoulder of the CBs. They run onto balls and get themselves on the end of crosses from the wings. I'd say the best Striker right now is Wayne Rooney, (if milehighireland agrees he's a striker, he plays well with the ball at his feet but his form this season and the goals with his head would in my opinion put him as a ST right now).

And that's about it, any other questions feel free to hit me up with a PM or reply here dude.

Best Gks

Tim Howard
    Peter Cech
    Buffon

Three of my favorite GKs in the world to watch play

Youtube Peter Schmeicel for those of you who don't know the Great Dane!
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

***Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Thanks so much Andy this actually helps me out a lot. I'm probably going to have more questions later so I'll keep you notified when I do. :salute!:

Ok I actually got one. If you were considered a left legged striker you'd most definitely be on the right side of the field right? Or does that even matter? I'd assume you'd be better off on the right side so you could use your left leg as an advantage but then wouldn't that mess up your crossing because you'd be using your right leg for that?(that's assuming if strikers even cross)