Cant an IP adress be traced, someone hacked my email

Can an IP adress be traced? Suddenly after 7 years the password for my email doesn't work. The first time it didn't seem like a big deal but its happened 3 times in the past month. So I called comcast and asked them if there was anyway the or the computer this is being done on can be traced back to an IP adress, or a pc account. They said most likely its a glitch now does anyone know if this is correct, can't this stuff be traced? Becuz it seems an awful like somebody is changing my password dilibertly.

i did it...

the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

<a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

I doubt it. I would be more concerened that you could have some spyware on your pc.
    "I don't know what was harder -- that [Phillies lineup] or the AL All-Star team lineup," - Dan Haren 7/28/2009

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Yes it could be traced quite easily. Infact hotmail will tell you which IP the address came from. HOwever. They don't need any of that info to take your e-mail. THey just need your account name. And there are applications that are made that can crack your password. it tests them at about 3000 combinations a minute.

The only thing they could do with your IP is try to hack your actual computer. I'm assuming you have a firewall. And if you don't go get one. There are some good ones that are free as well and if you PM i'll let you know the names.

But here's the truth if someone really wants to get into your computer. and they know what they're doing they can. Because you're not a government facillity and can't afford that sort of security. Most likely someone wouldn't do this though.

It was likely from you being e-mailed a trojan and you clicked on the link. And it put a key tracker on your computer. which in turn send them back all key strokes you made giving them your password.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Quote Originally Posted by JakeNbake View Post
    Yes it could be traced quite easily. Infact hotmail will tell you which IP the address came from. HOwever. They don't need any of that info to take your e-mail. THey just need your account name. And there are applications that are made that can crack your password. it tests them at about 3000 combinations a minute.

The only thing they could do with your IP is try to hack your actual computer. I'm assuming you have a firewall. And if you don't go get one. There are some good ones that are free as well and if you PM i'll let you know the names.

But here's the truth if someone really wants to get into your computer. and they know what they're doing they can. Because you're not a government facillity and can't afford that sort of security. Most likely someone wouldn't do this though.

It was likely from you being e-mailed a trojan and you clicked on the link. And it put a key tracker on your computer. which in turn send them back all key strokes you made giving them your password.
    I appreciate the help and I do have spy protection on my pc but what i mean is, is there any way i can trace the computer registration from which this person is changing my password and getting into my comcast account? like who does this computer belong to and which network? I think I might who it is but I need to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam24 View Post
    I appreciate the help and I do have spy protection on my pc but what i mean is, is there any way i can trace the computer registration from which this person is changing my password and getting into my comcast account? like who does this computer belong to and which network? I think I might who it is but I need to be sure.

Call comcast and they will have that information

i would have your computer scan, I am going to assume one of two things happen to you.

Either somebody has access to your security question answer or
    you have a keylogger.

If somebody is hacking your account, chances are they are using a proxy server so finding out their real ip address might be slim.