Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
    I just got done rereading them myself. I'm still pissed that the fifth book keeps getting bumped back, but at least he's been releasing individual chapters on the web.
    As soon as I finish up the Millenium trilogy and satisfy my Sherlock Holmes fix with a few short stories, I might go back into Martin.

I do need to reread the first book before the TV show comes on at least.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Just finished "Hunt For Red October" by Clancy. Before that was "Without Remorse" Clancy again, and before that was Michael Crichton's last in postmortem "Pirate Latitudes".

Next up is Crichton's "Timeline"

I am on a Crichton/Clancy obsession right now ....
    Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=366922&dateline=12622  85889
    I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
    Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Don't Start the Revolution Without Me- Jesse Ventura

Edit...that was wayy to hard to embed a pic of a book.
    Last edited by OhBehave30; 08-14-2010 at 11:50 PM.

I just finished a graphic novel entitled "Maus" by Art Spiegelman. I need to get part 2 now. The first one was amazing.

I'm currently in the middle of "Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz. I like Koontz, but his Odd Thomas series is by far the best of his works.

Before "Maus" tho, I read "Double Cross" by James Patterson. It was the 3rd Alex Cross novel I've read by Patterson, and let me tell you, I can't for the life of me understand why people like Patterson.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

anybody know of the book that supposedly helps you speed read like insanely good? I've always wondered how that would feel..productive probably
    Last edited by jetrazor74; 08-15-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McSmashie View Post
    Well the hair thing is better than Robert Jordan and his obsession with womens dresses.

God, I hate sci-fi/fantasy writers sometimes. Goodkind and Jordan made me quit reading those style books.

I should really reread Martin to get that "stale chocolate" taste out of my mouth.
    I just got done rereading them myself. I'm still pissed that the fifth book keeps getting bumped back, but at least he's been releasing individual chapters on the web.
    I really loved Jordan's series when I first started reading it back in '97 or so, but by the time I got to oh, book 14 or so, I was so sick of him adding more characters and sub plots and failing to wrap ANYTHING up, I don't think I'd ever read that stuff again. Book after book the story just kept spiraling out of control. I mean, fourteen 800+ page books, and not a single loose end tied up?

Goodkind, yeah, I liked the first book as well, but it went downhill after that. Both Jordan and Goodkind hadn't finished their series by the time I had read everything published to date, and seeing as I'd have to re-read all the garbage, I doubt I'll ever get around to finishing.

George RR Martin, however, that one I'll go back and start over again, once he finishes the series. I loved the first 3 books so much.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

Quote Originally Posted by OhBehave30 View Post
    anybody know of the book that supposedly helps you speed read like insanely good? I've always wondered how that would feel..productive probably
    I bought a book on speed reading once. It's a matter of training your eyes to read an entire line at a time, rather than going letter by letter, word by word.

I couldn't get the hang of it, personally.
    Last edited by jetrazor74; 08-15-2010 at 02:47 AM.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

So I finally finished Odd Hours by Dean Koontz. Not quite as good as the first three, but still a good read.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

regarding speed reading:

I've never looked into it but i think what it would be is skipping all the irrelevant words and just reading the major words to get what the sentence is about.

Quote Originally Posted by 12and4 View Post
    regarding speed reading:

I've never looked into it but i think what it would be is skipping all the irrelevant words and just reading the major words to get what the sentence is about.
    No, it's training your eyes to stop moving left to right and instead move from top to bottom, taking in a whole line at a time, rather than one word at a time. I don't know if that makes sense.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

I just got done with this:

This was a fast. fast read. I thought it was pretty good, although I'm not sure why it won a Pulitzer. McCarthy destroys the rules of grammar and punctuation when he writes, and that's a little off-putting for me. But overall, not a bad little book.

WhoDey, do you have kids? More specifically, do you have a son? I do and I think maybe that's why that book hit me the way it did. I really love that book. And, I find his minimalist writing style to be refreshing. Minimalist may not be the right word, but it definitely fits in terms of his use of punctuation, or lack there of.

I know I'm going to annoy H.S. English teachers everywhere, but I think punctuation is silly and extremely overrated TBH. I get using a period at the end of a sentence, and commas for pauses and the occasional : <---- that thingy for those occasions where :<----- that thingy is warrented, but most of the rest just seems like fluff to me. The story is the important thing. But, it could just be that I was never able to diagram a sentence, and I'm still bitter.

I took a speed reading course. I'm up to 40 pages a minute, but my comprehension has gone to Hell.

Damn, I love Brian Regan.

Ill be reading these books today, after the package arrives:

Applied Differential Equations
    Differential Geometry and Its Applications
    Thermodynamics, an Engineering Approach
    The American Congress
    Mathematics and Sports
    The Battle of Salamis: The Battle that saved Greece and Western Civilization
    Concept Passing: Teaching the Modern Passing Game
    Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting

My reward for finishing the demolition of my parents kitchen before heading back to school

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    WhoDey, do you have kids? More specifically, do you have a son? I do and I think maybe that's why that book hit me the way it did. I really love that book. And, I find his minimalist writing style to be refreshing. Minimalist may not be the right word, but it definitely fits in terms of his use of punctuation, or lack there of.

I know I'm going to annoy H.S. English teachers everywhere, but I think punctuation is silly and extremely overrated TBH. I get using a period at the end of a sentence, and commas for pauses and the occasional : <---- that thingy for those occasions where :<----- that thingy is warrented, but most of the rest just seems like fluff to me. The story is the important thing. But, it could just be that I was never able to diagram a sentence, and I'm still bitter.
    It's not so bad, i just finished a composition class at community college,we covered a lot of basic grammar, and punctuation, at least i now have better understanding of why it's necessary, i still suck at it , however.:<------and these thingy's are colons;<---- these are semi colons i finally got that straight just this year
    I really like Cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I don't have any kids (that I'm aware of ), but I see what you're saying. It took me a while to adjust to his writing style, because I like having the author tell me who's speaking. But in the case of several conversations between the man and the boy, it's pretty obvious, and in the case of others, it's pretty clear that it doesn't matter who says what.

Minus the "Ah-choo" part.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!