Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Yeah, another one I'm reading is for my (soon to be) luxerious sports betting career.

It's just a couple of those NCAA football preview magazines. Just reading the bio for every team and hoping to improve my college football fanhood/knowledge.

Figure the more you know about every team out there, the better your chances. Especially if a lot of betters out there just bet on/against their team or what they know about their favorite teams' conference.

NFL I trust myself on, 120+ teams is a different story though, but there's dough to be made in it.

This is an excellent book. Warning: pretty graphic sexual stuff, but the writing is fantastic, the pacing is perfect and the plot will really draw you in. It's a mystery/thriller that starts with a cold case and old clues that have been pored over for decades, but when new evidence is discovered the case gets hot in a hurry. The climax of the novel comes with quite a bit of book to go, but the ending is satisfying and yet does a good job of setting up the possibility of sequels (and yes, they're out there). I couldn't put it down.

Another fun read. The plot is... bizarre. But that's what Moore's all about. I lost track of the number of times I laughed out loud at this book. The story's pretty weird, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone who decides to check it out, but basically this guy becomes a death. Not THE Death with the big D, but still, it's a pretty spooky job, and if he doesn't do it right, then bad things will happen. Y'know, end of the world, everlasting darkness, all that good stuff. But hey, the guy's busy, what with being a single parent to a young daughter, a small business owner with crazy employees and landlord to some strange elderly immigrants. It's worth your time if you don't mind a little sex and paranormal activity.

This was my first experience with James Patterson, and I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. But I'm not without my complaints about his writing style, and I found the plot to this book to be problematic on a couple of fronts. It's another mystery/thriller, but it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to know whodunit before the reveal, because Patterson's stingy with his clues (or lazy, who knows). More than a third of the book is dedicated to an idiotic side plot involving the main character's family, for whom you are supposed to give a rat's ass for some reason. It's kind of daft. I was given the impression by a Patterson fan that the books need not be read in chronological order, but I felt like I had jumped into the sixth episode of the second season of an HBO series. Not a good feeling. And the fact that his chapters are POINTLESSLY short really put me off. In fact, this paragraph may be longer than some chapters of a Patterson novel.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Quote Originally Posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    Before "Maus" tho, I read "Double Cross" by James Patterson. It was the 3rd Alex Cross novel I've read by Patterson, and let me tell you, I can't for the life of me understand why people like Patterson.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
    This was my first experience with James Patterson, and I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. But I'm not without my complaints about his writing style, and I found the plot to this book to be problematic on a couple of fronts. It's another mystery/thriller, but it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to know whodunit before the reveal, because Patterson's stingy with his clues (or lazy, who knows). More than a third of the book is dedicated to an idiotic side plot involving the main character's family, for whom you are supposed to give a rat's ass for some reason. It's kind of daft. I was given the impression by a Patterson fan that the books need not be read in chronological order, but I felt like I had jumped into the sixth episode of the second season of an HBO series. Not a good feeling. And the fact that his chapters are POINTLESSLY short really put me off. In fact, this paragraph may be longer than some chapters of a Patterson novel.
    You should have checked with me first! LOL

In every Patterson novel I've ever read, Alex Cross nor whomever the antagonist may be, does ANYTHING. They are completely static and reactionary to the things which happen around them.

Cross is supposed to be this extraordinary criminal catcher, but in fact just stumbles upon his clues, not because of his hard work, but because he gets lucky. As Patterson puts it, "hunches." But it's luck. Cross runs around in circles in every book I've read and in the end just happens to stumble upon some key solving the case, or in one book, someone just handed him the info on where to find the killer.

I won't be reading anymore Patterson, and how he's so popular is a mystery to me.

Right now, I've just begun this:

It's pretty fine print, and over a thousand pages. I'll get back to you in a couple of months on what I thought of it!
    Last edited by jetrazor74; 08-22-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

You should have checked with me first! LOL

In every Patterson novel I've ever read, Alex Cross nor whomever the antagonist may be, does ANYTHING. They are completely static and reactionary to the things which happen around them.

Cross is supposed to be this extraordinary criminal catcher, but in fact just stumbles upon his clues, not because of his hard work, but because he gets lucky. As Patterson puts it, "hunches." But it's luck. Cross runs around in circles in every book I've read and in the end just happens to stumble upon some key solving the case, or in one book, someone just handed him the info on where to find the killer.

I won't be reading anymore Patterson, and how he's so popular is a mystery to me.
    I think he's popular because he appeals to those with low reading comprehension and short attention spans. I don't plan on giving him another chance.

It's pretty fine print, and over a thousand pages. I'll get back to you in a couple of months on what I thought of it!
    ALL HAIL XENU!

OK, I will never, ever read a Hubbard book, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts when you finish it up. I did see the movie for this book at a MST3K party a friend of mine threw, and it was easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Good luck with the book.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
    I think he's popular because he appeals to those with low reading comprehension and short attention spans. I don't plan on giving him another chance. .
    I guess I should pick up a copy then.

I am currently reading Where Men Win Glory by John Krackauer(sp?). It is the Pat Tillman story, it is very good. And I learned that Pat Tillman and I were born on the same exact day, Novermber 6, 1976. That's kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I guess I should pick up a copy then.

I am currently reading Where Men Win Glory by John Krackauer(sp?). It is the Pat Tillman story, it is very good. And I learned that Pat Tillman and I were born on the same exact day, Novermber 6, 1976. That's kinda cool.
    It's Krakauer (you were close!).

I read Into the Wild, and I thought it was very well done, if not really depressing. He seems to gravitate towards people who lived interesting but tragic lives. I look forward to your review.
    HEAR ME ROAR!

I'm reading a book called WAR by Sebastian Junger.

Really good so far.

(I tried to link in a picture but didn't work, cp for the first one that can get it to work!)
    Last edited by andrewmlb; 08-23-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    I'm reading a book called WAR by Sebastian Junger.

Really good so far.

(I tried to link in a picture but didn't work, cp for the first one that can get it to work!)
    i was reading it and i got about 1/2 way through its a great book, really really intense

-------

Yeah, it's been good.

I also read The Book Thief

If I could recommend any book to read ever, besides the Bible, it would be The Book Thief.

It's written about a German girl during the holocaust from Death's perspective. Awesome book.

(Another cp for posting it's pic too)
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1

Yeah, it's been good.

I also read The Book Thief

If I could recommend any book to read ever, besides the Bible, it would be The Book Thief.

It's written about a German girl during the holocaust from Death's perspective. Awesome book.

(Another cp for posting it's pic too)

Do I win?

great book for those unaware of the foods they eat and where they come from...

http://michaelpollan.com/books/the-omnivores-dilemma/

I got suckered into reading this as well. It is a long long long long long long long long long long bunch of sci-fi poop.

It really is horrible. Save yourself the pain and see the movie. That way you only have 2 hours of pain and not 1 month of pain.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Quote Originally Posted by McSmashie View Post
    I got suckered into reading this as well. It is a long long long long long long long long long long bunch of sci-fi poop.

It really is horrible. Save yourself the pain and see the movie. That way you only have 2 hours of pain and not 1 month of pain.
    That guy looks like Paul Bunyan on steroids in the future. It's the perfect mix.

That guy looks like Paul Bunyan on steroids in the future. It's the perfect mix.
    Eww, you checked out the dude on the cover.

Weird.

I adopt andrewmlb.

why is he shooting the gun so low to his waist?