Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    The right side of my SIG

Quote Originally Posted by Boltheads View Post
    I don't know if he is arrogant. He doesn't seem to come across as if he thinks he is better than other QBs in the league. I think he just likes playing the game and loves talking smack. I don't think he does it to insult anyone....but, I know that drives opposing fans crazy.
    Speaking as an opposing fan, no, it does not. It actually makes me sad, seriously. Where have the days gone of good sportsmanship? Just because you're all hyped up, does that mean that it's ok to lose all composure and class? QB's are the team's on the field leader and I feel that they should live by a different set of rules -- that they should be composed and in control --- that they should represent and promote good sportsmanship. There are likely some who watch him, feel that his actions are justified and ok, and proceed to act like that themselves, both on and off the field. I also believe that he contributes to a lowering standard of what's expected and appropriate. So, I guess in a way, it does drive me crazy, but not for the reasons that you seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by SLVR and Black View Post
    Speaking as an opposing fan, no, it does not. It actually makes me sad, seriously. Where have the days gone of good sportsmanship? Just because you're all hyped up, does that mean that it's ok to lose all composure and class? QB's are the team's on the field leader and I feel that they should live by a different set of rules -- that they should be composed and in control --- that they should represent and promote good sportsmanship. There are likely some who watch him, feel that his actions are justified and ok, and proceed to act like that themselves, both on and off the field. I also believe that he contributes to a lowering standard of what's expected and appropriate. So, I guess in a way, it does drive me crazy, but not for the reasons that you seem to think.
    Well said... man... you know you are bad when you're getting lectured by a Raider about class! lmao

Hate him as a person? The only reason for Bronco fans to hate him as a "person" is because of the Rivers/Cutler feud. Considering how Cutler crapped on your organization and cried his way out of town...it should be obvious who the instigator was in that situation.

However, I would understand why Bronco fans would hate Rivers as a "player". He flat out owns you guys.

I hope that argument isn't general, because I respect Rivers for his ability. The only minus is the Chargers aspect, which isn't that great, because I can see past the prejudice and respect the rival.

He is a definite upgrade over Orton, but I'm not sure about Quinn, seeing how Quinn's first years played out. He very well could be better than Quinn, it must be acknowledged that Cleveland will kill the talent of most players.

I don't know if he is arrogant. He doesn't seem to come across as if he thinks he is better than other QBs in the league. I think he just likes playing the game and loves talking smack. I don't think he does it to insult anyone....but, I know that drives opposing fans crazy.
    Its a well known fact that rivers talks A LOT of smack, he himself admits it. Ive seen him doing it to fans multiple times which I think players should never do. Other players are ok but not fans, I concede rivers is a good..maybe even great qb. I dont like his attitude though and its not just because of the cutler/rivers incident. Many players have come out and said rivers talks a lot on the field as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbroncs View Post
    Ive seen him doing it to fans multiple times which I think players should never do. .
    Yep. If you can't handle getting yelled at by fans of the opposing team, give back the money and go sell real estate for a living.

Yep. If you can't handle getting yelled at by fans of the opposing team, give back the money and go sell real estate for a living.
    I find it amusing how fans provoke Rivers and when he responds it's an outrage on ESPN. I'm pretty sure they weren't telling him positive things.

That's why I like Rivers, he doesn't hide his emotions, he will go to anyone fan or player and tell them in their face that he's going to make their teams defense look silly and he can sure back it up.
    Rivers is deciding to play bad, just to see how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by powderblues View Post
    I find it amusing how fans provoke Rivers and when he responds it's an outrage on ESPN. I'm pretty sure they weren't telling him positive things.

That's why I like Rivers, he doesn't hide his emotions, he will go to anyone fan or player and tell them in their face that he's going to make their teams defense look silly and he can sure back it up.

Makes him a hard person to have to play against, he won't crumble mentally.
    So just because he lacks class he's mentally tough? Many, many players are at least as tough mentally yet most seem to handle themselves like adults. Why can't Rivers do the same?

Newsflash: players in every sport get yelled at all of the time and, in the vast majority of cases, fans are lucky to get even a look in their direction. Rivers can't do that though, he seemingly can't stand to be yelled at in the same fashion that players throughout the years have been heckled. So, he fires back. No class and you'd say the same thing if Rivers played for the Raiders or Broncos. But, since he's a Charger????

And btw, people who can't or won't "hide" their emotions? They're usually called immature.

So just because he lacks class he's mentally tough? Many, many players are at least as tough mentally yet most seem to handle themselves like adults. Why can't Rivers do the same?

Newsflash: players in every sport get yelled at all of the time and, in the vast majority of cases, fans are lucky to get even a look in their direction. Rivers can't do that though, he seemingly can't stand to be yelled at in the same fashion that players throughout the years have been heckled. So, he fires back. No class and you'd say the same thing if Rivers played for the Raiders or Broncos. But, since he's a Charger????

And btw, people who can't or won't "hide" their emotions? They're usually called immature.
    I honestly wouldn't be spending my time trashing Rivers if I wasn't a Charger fan. There are plenty of other trash talkers like Joey Porter but I am not outraged by his actions. You have to remember this is a game, they're out there to win but also to have fun.

I don't think either of us know anything about the true Philip Rivers. We are not his friends or family, so it's kind of harsh to judge him based on a few incidences of trash talking. So I wouldn't label him as classless.

Trash talker? Yes. I like that about him, different leaders have different traits... Peyton Manning is the soft spoken type while Philip Rivers is has that fiery attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I guess he's pointing at Denver's super bowl trophies eh?

I just think trash talking to fans is retarded. Even if they're not a fan of your team they are the reason you're making millions of dollars to play a sport. Trash talking them is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I just think trash talking to fans is retarded. Even if they're not a fan of your team they are the reason you're making millions of dollars to play a sport. Trash talking them is just dumb.
    I agree. What can you do though? I'd prefer if he didn't just for the fact that it creates a distraction.

He has stopped doing that for some time now though... he's been asked about it in interviews and has acknowledged that he is aware of opposing fan's perception of him and he is trying to re shape is image.

Quote Originally Posted by powderblues View Post

fans provoke every single opposing player in every single game. Thats mostly what being the visiting team means. Yet only a few players retaliate and rivers is one of them.

The one that really sat in my head for a while was him running over to the stands after the offense just sealed a playoff game against the colts (rivers was on the bench). He only ran over to the fans to provoke and trash talk them.

Im sure they were yelling at him all game but just to run over to them and rub their faces in it...disgusting.

"We have a great relationship, Nick Hardwick and I",

"he really appreciates it when I warm up my hands before that LONG LONG snap count"
    -phil

Last edited by red19; 04-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.

"Yipee!! I just got drafted!!!! New Coon skin caps and porch swings for all my kin"

Last edited by red19; 04-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.