DE Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech

With the 17th pick in the 2010 NFL draft
    The San Francisco 49ers select

CB Joe Haden, Florida
    Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

With the 18th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft
    The Pittsburgh Steelers select

OC Maurkice Pouncey Florida
    Last edited by BroncosTX77; 04-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.

With the 19th pick in the NFL Draft

The Atlanta Falcons Select

Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri

MUG Mayock here to evaluate selections 11-15. So far, we've had a relatively bi-polar draft. Some excellent value selections, some questionable ones. It's such a great draft though that everyone has gotten a great prospect to this point though. The talent should stay elite through these selections but will start to trickle into a lower tier soon, and I'm sure things will get really interesting at that point.

11. Denver Broncos select DT Dan Williams from Tennessee

This is a great value selection in my estimation. Personally, I thought he would easily go in the Top 10 as the rare three down 34 NT, but it did not happen with some of the relative reaches. Well, it's the Broncos' gain, and the Dolphins have to be heartbroken picking at #12 and seeing Williams get snagged one selection before. For Denver, Dan Williams slots in just fine as the backup NT behind Jamal Williams, maybe they can trade Ron Fields to Miami now, with Chris Baker continuing to be the developmental #3 NT. The Broncos still have some holes that need to be addressed, specifically at OC, RDE, WR, and many positions need depth. However, at this selection, it's all about best player available at a position of need, and Dan Williams easily fills that. With Odrick and Bryant gone, really only Maurkice Pouncey appears to be possible alternative, and Williams smokes him for draft and positional value.

Grade: A

12. Miami Dolphins select DE Jason Pierre-Paul from South Florida

This is an odd pick for me. Weighing near 270 lbs, JPP is much bigger than the 245ish that most 34 OLBs tend to weigh. In OLB drills at the Combine and again at his Pro Day, he struggled pretty badly. There's a good chance he's more of a 4-3 DE. Even projecting that with certainty is difficult though because of his limited exposure. His athleticism is off the charts, and he was productive this season at South Florida, but this is a massive boom or bust selection. The safer pick, even at 34 OLB, would have been Derrick Morgan. He's not ideal for that position either, but he's a very sound player and relatively safe in terms of work ethic and production. What Miami has done here is gamble on one of the biggest boom or bust players in this draft. They'll either look foolish or like geniuses, but it will take several years to really know. I don't expect much from JPP in year one, outside of a nickel rusher, as he refines his technique. Still, I'm grading on risk and value. The risk is just way too high for the #12 selection, especially for a 3-4 team. The risk would have still been signficiant for a 4-3 team, but JPP wouldn't be playing LB there. Miami was in a tough situation in terms of whom to select with Bryant, Williams, and both elite Safeties being off the board. I think Joe Haden would have been a safer selection, and the team could move Sean Smith to Free Safety. As it stands, they are taking a massive risk with a very expensive selection.

Grade: C-

13. San Francisco 49ers select QB Jimmy Clausen from Notre Dame

Steal of the draft to this point, and that will probably hold up through its entirety. I believe this is arguably the best prospect in this draft, so to nab a franchise QB at the #13 Overall selection with this degree of upside and skill is incredible. I know the team has many needs and that they were hoping Alex Smith could rekindle the potential that made him the #1 Overall selection years ago, but that hope was fleeting after his consistent struggles, and once a stud like Clausen was available, the 49ers pounced. Jimmy should be ready to start from Day 1, and with the offseason acquisitions shoring up the OT position, he'll likely be extremely well protected. I'm sure the team had to strongly consider Joe Haden at this point because the secondary is not very good, but I think they made a wise choice to go with the QB.

Grade: A+

14. Seattle Seahawks select OT Bryan Bulaga from Iowa

After the surprising selection of CJ Spiller at #6, the Seahawks find themselves in good position with Bryan Bulaga still on the board. He's a bit of a risk because of his short arms, which might necessitate a move to RT or OG, but he's a sound technician and a hard worker, plus he comes from Iowa's ZBS, so he should be plug and play at LT. If he can cut the mustard there is another question. What is not a question is that this was a great pick and almost the best case scenario once the team passed on an OT at #6 Overall. If his thyroid condition, which caused him to miss time last year, stays held in check, I think there is a very good chance he can stick as a solid, if not spectacular, LT. The Seattle secondary needs some serious work, so I'm sure Joe Haden was looked at, but there weren't really any other value prospects at this point at an area of need that remotely approached Bulaga. The 'Hawks gambled at #6 and it appears to have paid off, though there is a little bit of risk.

Grade: B+

15. New York Giants select LB Rolando McClain from Alabama

McClain is an interesting prospect. He's on record as preferring to play in a 3-4 defense, the Giants play a 4-3. By all accounts, he is a great field general and possesses excellent size, but he's not an elite athlete. The 34 defense masks this deficiency to a large degree, but a 43 does not. I'm not sure McClain is a 3 down LB in a 43 defense, he may have to be removed on passing downs because he's not athletic enough to drop into zones and cover the elite TEs and slot WRs. This is another huge reason why it's relatively uncommon for 43 MLBs to be drafted early in the 1st Round, which we've seen emphasized in recent years with the freefalls of Paul Posluszny, James Laurinaitis, and Rey Maualuga, all considered can't miss, super stud talents. 34 teams still tend to draft an ILB high if they lack a playmaking stud inside, so I'm not convinced the value for McClain is off by too much here. I do question his fit and value for a 43 team though at this point, though I readily acknowledge the Giants biggest need is a MLB. On top of this debate, you also have his diagnosis with Chrohn's Disease, which isn't overly significant, but it very well may cause decreased effectiveness for the games in which it flares up. All in all though, I think the pick is a little risky and I'm curious as to how well he'll fit in a 4-3 defense. If he can't be a three down LB, this is terrible value, and that's the risk.

Grade: C+

With the 20th Overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select.....

Kyle Wilson CB Boise State

Thanks Blondie for the Sig

With the 21 st pick in the 2010 NFL draft
    The New York Jets select
    Sergio Kindle OLB Texas
    Last edited by b marsh = beast; 04-11-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    Proud Sigma Chi at UT Chattanooga

With the 22nd Selection in the 2010 NFL Draft
    The New England Patriots select

DE/OLB Brandon Graham Michigan
    New England Patriots GM

Alright, MUG Mayock to back to recap selections 16-20. There are still some blue chip prospects left that have experienced an unexpected slide. Some teams are going to get steals. Lets jump right to it.

16. Tennessee Titans select DE Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech

This was the ideal draft scenario for the Titans. They have a dire need at DE, and they just nailed this selection by getting the absolute best 4-3 DE in this draft. Morgan has zero flaws in his game and is by all accounts a great person as well. Maybe in three years JPP might be outproducing him, but the odds are heavily against that. Morgan should be one of the rare D-line players that can come in and impact from Day 1, which is exactly what Tennessee needed. I don't really see any other prospects that might have caused hesitation with this selection, maybe Joe Haden to help a shaky CB situation, but for me this was a no-brainer selection and a relative steal at this point.

17. San Francisco 49ers select CB Joe Haden from Florida

The pick prior was a relative steal, this was grand theft. Haden is one of the more complete CBs to come into the draft in recent memory. His Combine 40 performance with an injured back must still be lingering in the minds of the GMs, and I guess those same GMs didn't make the trip to Gainesville to see him rebound completely at his Pro Day. That's all well and good for the 49ers, whom have now nailed down the two biggest steals in this draft so far. If someone would have told me they would be able to get Clausen at #13 and Haden at #17 before this process started, I would have almost died from laughter. Now, the only one laughing is the SF GM as he's putting on a clinic so far this in this draft. Another best player available selection that also matches up with a dire need. It doesn't get much better.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers select OC Maurkice Pouncey from Florida

Two Florida players go back to back, but unlike Haden, Pouncey was expected to go off the board around this point in the 1st Round. I think #18 Overall is a premium price for an OC, but I also think it's a very solid selection. The Steelers are a franchise known for their stud OCs more than any other team. And right now, this is a team with a huge hole in the interior line, especially at OC, where cast off Jeff Hartings underperformed last season. With the decision to trade for Marion Barber, this team is now really gearing up for a power running game and extensive handing off. With Big Ben and Santonio's legal issues, this makes additional sense. If you want to have a power scheme, you have to have beasts inside, and that's exactly what Pouncey will give them. Plug and play him from Day 1 and never look back for 10-15 years barring injury. However, it's still the earliest an OC has been drafted in somewhere around 50 years, so in terms of draft value, there is some debate. I like it though.

19. Atlanta Falcons select LB Sean Weatherspoon from Missouri

Atlanta has been linked to Weatherspoon all offseason, and for good reason, they have a pretty big hole at WLB. That's now filled quite capably. The trade for Ben Leber looks even more questionable now to me. Stephen Nicholas was pretty good at SAM, and he was still developing, now he's stuck as a super-reserve, which gives the team great depth, but also buries a young up-and-coming LB. If Leber is to be the reserve, then I don't like the trade to give up a great complimentary RB and return stud. This team did a great job in free agency shoring up the D-line, though I think a young pass rushing stud to eventually replace Abraham has to be a consideration since Edwards is a Power End. Maybe the team thought long and hard about Everson Griffen. The secondary definitely still needs some attention with Grimes and DeCoud sent packing, and while there weren't any safeties worth a pick here, maybe Kyle Wilson was considered. Finally, with no apparent compliment to Michael Turner, perhaps Jahvid Best was a consideration. The finances are about right to add an impact committee back with return skills. Regardless, in light of the offseason moves on the D-line and at CB, I thought this pick made a lot of sense. It's still a premium to pay for an OLB with a non-stop mouth, but it definitely helps the team immediately.

20. Houston Texans select CB Kyle Wilson from Boise State

I feel like this was the right selection. After addressing RB in Free Agency, though in a risky manner, and attempting an ill-advised scheme change, the secondary remained the biggest problem area. At this point they get a superb long term outside prospect whom might be able to start this year, and at worst, should be a prototype nickel back with return ability, if they choose to employ him on punts. There are some remaining holes, especially at NT if this scheme change is really taking place, but there weren't any prospects worth this draft slot at that position. With Earl Thomas gone and it probably being too early for Morgan Burnett, Free Safety wasn't in play. So, the Texans made a very solid selection to fill a dire team need. I feel the value was right all around, though Wilson's somewhat smaller stature does give some pause for such a high investment. If he is relegated to a career as a nickel back, this would be a poor value. I think he'll be able to start outside though, but there is a little risk.

Grade: A-
    Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 04-11-2010 at 06:58 AM.

the philadelphia eagles select:

OT ANTHONY DAVIS
    Last edited by elevation INC; 04-11-2010 at 11:22 AM.

With the 25th pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select

Arrelious Benn University of Illinois
    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

with the 23 pick the baltimore ravens select
    OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
    Last edited by sniperyus; 04-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="Orange"][SIZE="5"][FONT="Impact"]SIMON SAYS 97.5 SACKS!!![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]