View Poll Results: what should denver do at WR?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Draft Dez bryant

5 13.89%
  • Get TO and Bryant

1 2.78%
  • get TO Draft another WR...TO moulds young WR

1 2.78%
  • Go another route...Other

29 80.56%
Page 1 of 91 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

U29's Mini Mock

First of all, since I do not post here often. I do not usually do full round mocks. Reasons for that is I am not familiar with the late round guys and more often than not most do not make the active roster. Those late rd guys are usually RB, WR, KR,- basically late rd flyers and depth.

Also note that I do not do FA- its way to hard to predict and frankly i dont give a dam. I think the coaches know the positions that need filling and they will get it done.

Finally, the reason for my thread, instead of just my sig is I do not watch college much and until the scouting reports/vids come in on all the players I have little to work with. Here is the mini mock:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon Marshall traded to Carolina for Peppers and a 2nd.

( we pursued peppers hard last year, but balked when they asked for royal- Brandon with Steve smith and their run game would be great for them. Especially since peppers wants out.)

1-Dez Bryant (WR) - the more i see of him the more I think he is worth it. (even though i want a QB)

2.-Brandon Spikes (LB)-from CAR trade- Great value here. Probably wont make it this far but you have to take him if he does

2.-Kyle Wilson (CB)- Not sure where he is projected to go. I have a feeling he will be rated higher than an early 2nd rd pick and likely go in the first. But since I do not know much about him and havent seen or read anything on him he goes here to us.

3.-Cory Wooten (DE)- Lets face it we need a DE big time. I dont see Elvis with us next year and even then we need a run stopping pass rushing DE. This guy can clog the run--I think.

4.-Vince Oghobaase-(NT)- Its a NT- we need help there-His skills, not sure but supposedly he can stop the run....

5th pick- I know we dont have a 5th rounder, but I figure our 5th pick will come from a trade of someone or something.....with that pick:

Josh Skelton....I know Mcd doesn't think Kyle is the longterm answer and neither do I. Great potential, sit behind Kyle and Brandy for a year or two and then see which guy comes out on top.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it. Let me know about the guys and what you think. I still think Brandon will be staying and Doom will be traded for a 1st and a 3rd, but that will come at another time.

PS- I am well aware the C is our biggest need on OL, followed by G. However, I do not think we will draft or even have the opportunity at either Iuputi or Pouncey. And we can find Good replacements later on. Size is not everything with OL.
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

I doubt we'd trade for Peppers. He's never played in a 3-4 and I think McDaniels is happy with what we have at LB for now.

I also don't think this draft helps the teams main weakness which would be our interior line, mainly LG and C. Those two positions need some serious help in the offseason. I like the pick of Dez Bryant and Brandon Spikes though. Good value players who should help us quite a bit.

While I do like Josh Wilson I think the 2nd round is a little high for him and I'd rather that be J.D. Walton, the Center from Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I doubt we'd trade for Peppers. He's never played in a 3-4 and I think McDaniels is happy with what we have at LB for now.

I also don't think this draft helps the teams main weakness which would be our interior line, mainly LG and C. Those two positions need some serious help in the offseason. I like the pick of Dez Bryant and Brandon Spikes though. Good value players who should help us quite a bit.

While I do like Josh Wilson I think the 2nd round is a little high for him and I'd rather that be J.D. Walton, the Center from Baylor.

So wilson is probably not an early/mid second round choice? Thats good to know, thanks.

Where do you think he is currently, 3rd? late 2nd?.........4th.?

PS- I think we get a C and G, in the later rounds- 5-7.... We still address it, just not until then. But i will read up on your JD guy- sounds interesting.
    Last edited by underrated29; 01-14-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

Everything looks pretty reasonable to me, even the trade idea because I would play Peppers as a 3-4 DE, not an OLB. And we need major help in that area.

Kyle Wilson is probably in the 3rd round right now. There were some quality Junior CBs that declared that will push the Seniors down. The earliest I would place him right now is probably the Late 2nd. And if you wanted to mock him in the early 4th, you could, though he likely won't fall that far.

I think Wootton is in the 2nd Round. He was amazing as a Junior. And he really came on at the end of this year. The only time he hasn't been dominant is when he was coming back off his knee injury. His size is ideal too. If he hadn't of gotten hurt, he's probably a Top 20 guy. Right now, I'd say he could rocket up more than any other prospect if he shows he's healthy in the Senior Bowl and Combine. He would not be a 3-4 OLB though, he really doesn't fit a 3-4 at all, he's more of a traditional Power End. He has the size to bulk up and be a potential 3-4 DE however, but it would take time.

And...I have to agree with others that we must draft an OC. With no CBA, Free Agency is going to be extremely limited, and there aren't that many RFA OCs we could potentially go after anyway. We almost are forced to draft an OC high in this draft. Maurkice Pouncey in the Late 1st or Early 2nd would be ideal, but we'd have to move around to get him. If we miss on him, I think we have to nab Tennant, Walton, or Olsen.

thanks for taking a look. That helps with the prospects. I am atleast glad that i was able to identify some good prospects even if i got their rankings off...

Will take note of the 4-3 end....that obviously wont work out.

I will make adjustments later on. Probably one more before combine.

however, I seriously, dont think (but pray i am wrong) that we will get either iupati or pouuncey. Josh- just seems.......i dont know. Something about the way he targets people makes me think we are set at G with Olsen and he will look at a C, in FA or later on in the draft. just a gut feeling.
    For now....

Peppers would be great if we ran the 4 -3 but when you run the 3-4 you need that size up front to get things done. Yes he has amazing talent but I would rather have richard seymour in there. I do however think this is a very unlikely trade.

Team Tebow #267

Draft Day Worries

1) Trading up and reaching for non essential players.

I have nothing against moving up for the players you want for your team, even if the move up pick value is costly. However, when it came to picking up Smith/Richard Quinn/Brandstater, you're pretty much talking about moving up for players who probably would've been at your next pick. Additionally, these pickups with the possible exception of Smith, were not areas of need on the team and weren't players which would really make significant contributions. All 3 of these cases should've fallen more into the be patient category. The common defense of last year's draft here is that scouting time was limited, the draft pool was shallow, we wanted to make sure we got the guys we liked. I hope thats the case, I'm fine with moving up, I'm fine with reaching, but trading up just to reach for a nonessential player(all 3 things at once), lets not do that.

2) We grab Pouncey or Iupati with at #11.

I know there's a fair portion that want these players that early, and granted, oline is a major area of need, but that's a huge reach in a great draft of players.

Iupati, isn't close to Brandon Alberts caliber. Iupati doesn't have the ability to kick out to tackle and I consider to be a very late 1st rounder at best.

Pouncey, looks to be a great center, but why reach in this talent rich draft. I don't think he's that much of a significantly better prospect than Walton(Walton was named by AP to be the best center, Jason Smith of #2 overall noteriety said Walton was the best oline player for them last year.) Even after Walton, I think Eric Olsen is highly underrated. Tennant is another option. Its very important that we snag a good center, no need to reach at #11 however, if we want to reach later on to make sure we cover this position, we'll have options.

If we absolutely felt that we must grab oline in top 10, grab one of the available OTs, they all can pretty much play guard, let them play guard for a year, consider letting them challenge Harris, it gives us options and insurance. I'm not for this approach, but I think it makes a whole lot more sense then Iupati.

3) We won't get our center.

We need a center badly, Pouncey & Walton could be gone before our 2nd. So we decide we'll be patient and wait to the 3rd for our C, then Olsen and Tennant are gone. I know a lot of people think Olsen is 4th/5th at best, I think the draftniks are really underestimating him. It seems the main comment against him is he lacks the physical tools,... Ummm lets see, he was one of the best offensive lineman in bench press, Vertical jump, and 3 cone drill. I don't think its raw physical tools he lacks. Really the true knock on him is that he doesn't have a lot of center starting experience, I think if he was moved to center one year earlier, he'd be a much more notable candidate. Anyways, I think there's a few teams out there that may really like him, I do believe he could even be gone before our 3rd round although probably won't be. I'm not concerned about OG cuz there's so many options, with the center position, its unlikely, but we could be surprised by how quickly they come off.

4) Four OTs will be taken in the top 10

Like a broken record I've been saying that this won't happen. Its the same thing every year about this time, there's this awesome OT draft, there's a lot of need for them, lets all mock 4 of them in the top 10. And it never happens, the average is actually less than 2 over the past 4 years. Mock draft folks, pay attention to recent history, top 10 drafting teams just aren't as crazy about OTs in the top 10 as you think. Futhermore, if the past 4 years and this one have all been great OT drafts... maybe they're really just average OT drafts..., eh? Anyways, hopefully 4 OTs won't be off the board to quickly, cuz I've sure been preaching that that's not whats going to happen.

5) Failing to take advantage of this drafts strengths.

This draft is exeptionally strong in DL/CB/WR, I'd like to see us snag one of each of those positions. (Yes folks this draft is strong in WR, just not top teir, but take a look at who you could possibly grab 2/3ish through 6th, its really a very good WR draft).

6) We trade Marshall and don't replace him.

If we trade Marshall, we do need serious WR help. Otherwise, till Royal shows up, Gaffney is our #1. The safeties will be lining up in 3 point stances if we don't backfill our WR corps a bit.

7) AFC West rivals shining in the draft.
    SD could snag Cody, tremendous value at their position.
    KC and Oakland are both in great positions for the 1st/2nd round to really add positive value to their organizations. Oakland could potentially snag Bradford or Clausen, I don't want to see that happen.
    I think all 3 of our rivals with their particular picks and needs, have very good potential to have great drafts. We could have a pretty good draft really, and could still have the 4th best draft in the AFC West.

Overall, I think the front office over the past 2 years has done the best job in the league of picking the right FAs, and I think we'll see this intelligence carried into the draft, but the above things are what I worry about.

Anyways, post your comments, or post your own draft day worries.

A big fear of mine would be drafting an OT or McClain at #11.

Unless we are Nostradamus or have a bona fide working Crystal Ball, there is no telling what would've happened with the players Denver moved up to get.

I agree with Puncey because of his versatility which McDaniels/Xanders covets.

No on Iupati, he is LG only not worth #11 especially as luxury pick.

Denver will sell the farm to get a Center in round 2 if they pass on Pouncey.

Aslong as its not Dez Bryant at #11 I dont care. I could live with McClain over him. We can also get a WR in the 2nd round so don't panic about that. and OT wont go 4 in a row. You gotta think the Talent is there but top is Bradford,Suh,and McCoy. Better than all OTs taking in row in the end. SD tried to do that with Moreno and McD was smart enough to choose him before they could choose him. Which worked out because that pick would of been Taylor Mays if he would of declared for the draft. Also dont worry about Oakland drafting anything that will scare us. I thought the same thing with JaMarcus Russell and u see how that turned out.

My draft day worry is that we take a OLB, DE or DT. We have enough solid players at these positions and I would like to see us give our young players here more time to develop before we start using high draft picks on more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
    Unless we are Nostradamus or have a bona fide working Crystal Ball, there is no telling what would've happened with the players Denver moved up to get.

I agree with Puncey because of his versatility which McDaniels/Xanders covets.

No on Iupati, he is LG only not worth #11 especially as luxury pick.

Denver will sell the farm to get a Center in round 2 if they pass on Pouncey.
    No they won't. Tennant, Walton, Eric olsen, Zane Beadles, Thomas Austin, and maybe even Joe Hawley are all quality players who will be available for them after Pouncey. They will get a center without over paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos Rex View Post
    My draft day worry is that we take a OLB, DE or DT. We have enough solid players at these positions and I would like to see us give our young players here more time to develop before we start using high draft picks on more of them.
    Oh my......DE and NT are two of the teams biggest needs. If they didn't think so why would they bring in the top players such as Williams, Cody, and Odrick at that position for private workouts?

I worry we dont get Pouncey

I worry we draft Dez and he turns out just as bad as he is said to be

I worry we wait to get Gerhart in the 3rd and he is not there

I worry that all the idiot picks people want actually happen (i.e. Spikes in the 2nd)

I worry we get a not so needed pick at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by omahaBroncoFan View Post
    1) Trading up and reaching for non essential players.

I have nothing against moving up for the players you want for your team, even if the move up pick value is costly. However, when it came to picking up Smith/Richard Quinn/Brandstater, you're pretty much talking about moving up for players who probably would've been at your next pick. Additionally, these pickups with the possible exception of Smith, were not areas of need on the team and weren't players which would really make significant contributions. All 3 of these cases should've fallen more into the be patient category. The common defense of last year's draft here is that scouting time was limited, the draft pool was shallow, we wanted to make sure we got the guys we liked. I hope thats the case, I'm fine with moving up, I'm fine with reaching, but trading up just to reach for a nonessential player(all 3 things at once), lets not do that.

2) We grab Pouncey or Iupati with at #11.

I know there's a fair portion that want these players that early, and granted, oline is a major area of need, but that's a huge reach in a great draft of players.

Iupati, isn't close to Brandon Alberts caliber. Iupati doesn't have the ability to kick out to tackle and I consider to be a very late 1st rounder at best.

Pouncey, looks to be a great center, but why reach in this talent rich draft. I don't think he's that much of a significantly better prospect than Walton(Walton was named by AP to be the best center, Jason Smith of #2 overall noteriety said Walton was the best oline player for them last year.) Even after Walton, I think Eric Olsen is highly underrated. Tennant is another option. Its very important that we snag a good center, no need to reach at #11 however, if we want to reach later on to make sure we cover this position, we'll have options.

If we absolutely felt that we must grab oline in top 10, grab one of the available OTs, they all can pretty much play guard, let them play guard for a year, consider letting them challenge Harris, it gives us options and insurance. I'm not for this approach, but I think it makes a whole lot more sense then Iupati.

3) We won't get our center.

We need a center badly, Pouncey & Walton could be gone before our 2nd. So we decide we'll be patient and wait to the 3rd for our C, then Olsen and Tennant are gone. I know a lot of people think Olsen is 4th/5th at best, I think the draftniks are really underestimating him. It seems the main comment against him is he lacks the physical tools,... Ummm lets see, he was one of the best offensive lineman in bench press, Vertical jump, and 3 cone drill. I don't think its raw physical tools he lacks. Really the true knock on him is that he doesn't have a lot of center starting experience, I think if he was moved to center one year earlier, he'd be a much more notable candidate. Anyways, I think there's a few teams out there that may really like him, I do believe he could even be gone before our 3rd round although probably won't be. I'm not concerned about OG cuz there's so many options, with the center position, its unlikely, but we could be surprised by how quickly they come off.

4) Four OTs will be taken in the top 10

Like a broken record I've been saying that this won't happen. Its the same thing every year about this time, there's this awesome OT draft, there's a lot of need for them, lets all mock 4 of them in the top 10. And it never happens, the average is actually less than 2 over the past 4 years. Mock draft folks, pay attention to recent history, top 10 drafting teams just aren't as crazy about OTs in the top 10 as you think. Futhermore, if the past 4 years and this one have all been great OT drafts... maybe they're really just average OT drafts..., eh? Anyways, hopefully 4 OTs won't be off the board to quickly, cuz I've sure been preaching that that's not whats going to happen.

5) Failing to take advantage of this drafts strengths.

This draft is exeptionally strong in DL/CB/WR, I'd like to see us snag one of each of those positions. (Yes folks this draft is strong in WR, just not top teir, but take a look at who you could possibly grab 2/3ish through 6th, its really a very good WR draft).

6) We trade Marshall and don't replace him.

If we trade Marshall, we do need serious WR help. Otherwise, till Royal shows up, Gaffney is our #1. The safeties will be lining up in 3 point stances if we don't backfill our WR corps a bit.

7) AFC West rivals shining in the draft.
    SD could snag Cody, tremendous value at their position.
    KC and Oakland are both in great positions for the 1st/2nd round to really add positive value to their organizations. Oakland could potentially snag Bradford or Clausen, I don't want to see that happen.
    I think all 3 of our rivals with their particular picks and needs, have very good potential to have great drafts. We could have a pretty good draft really, and could still have the 4th best draft in the AFC West.

Overall, I think the front office over the past 2 years has done the best job in the league of picking the right FAs, and I think we'll see this intelligence carried into the draft, but the above things are what I worry about.

Anyways, post your comments, or post your own draft day worries.
    Read my mile high post and you will see why this would be a real probability and why it would be a good thing. The posted links are a very good analysis of how Josh and Xanders work. Reaching for an O-lineman was the heart of the NE stradigy when they were winning SB's.