Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why Spiller is a better pick than Bryant at 11.

First of all hello. In googling stuff on the draft, I stumbled on this site.

I see a lot of hype around Dez Bryant. In thinking about it, it would be far better to draft Spiller than Bryant. Spiller is more explosive than Bryant and you can get the ball to Spiller in more ways.

First of all, I know people are going to say, "but we already have Moreno". Thats true but he's not a playmaker like Spiller and thats what they need. Lets face it, Buckhalter had more success running the ball last year and those edge runs that worked for Buckhalter will be even more successful with Spiller who is a lot faster and a lot more electric in the open field than any RB on the roster.

Getting Spiller doesnt mean fewer carries for Moreno. In fact, it takes a lot of pressure off of Moreno. When you look at the way the offense is constituted now, theres a lot of chain movers and not much explosiveness. Orton isnt the best deep ball thrower either. So, if Denver is getting big plays from Spiller, that allows Moreno to be the chain mover he is.

Why Spiller is better than Bryant: Spiller can just as easily be lined up out in the flats for quick screen. Spiller is better in space than Bryant. One false move and its cancel Christmas. Spiller is gone. Secondly, since there will be a lot of times that a LB is lined up on Spiller, he actually presents more opportunities for the deep ball than Bryant. Even if a safety is on him. Spiller has Chris Johnson like speed.

Thats why he's better than Bryant. Basically, everything Bryant offers, Spiller does also along with the ability to run the ball out of the backfield and return kicks.

Its hard to justify drafting Bryant when Spiller is there.

Also, Im not so sure, Spiller doesnt surprise people at RB. With better coaching, he might be good for 12 carries a game. 5 yards a carry would give him 1000 yards. Plus theres all the other stuff he does.

Spending the 1st roudn pick, two years in a row, at one position when our team is void all over..... si the wrong move.

Teams have found RBs much later in this draft, and Spiller isn't a player that is a 'once in a lifetime' talent. He's only getting the recognition because of the great year CJ had in the NFL. Lets get talent in other areas, and STILL find more talent at RB later in the draft, and get more from the draft than yet, ANOTHER, first round RB.

Quote Originally Posted by UJJ View Post
    First of all hello. In googling stuff on the draft, I stumbled on this site.

I see a lot of hype around Dez Bryant. In thinking about it, it would be far better to draft Spiller than Bryant. Spiller is more explosive than Bryant and you can get the ball to Spiller in more ways.

First of all, I know people are going to say, "but we already have Moreno". Thats true but he's not a playmaker like Spiller and thats what they need. Lets face it, Buckhalter had more success running the ball last year and those edge runs that worked for Buckhalter will be even more successful with Spiller who is a lot faster and a lot more electric in the open field than any RB on the roster.

Getting Spiller doesnt mean fewer carries for Moreno. In fact, it takes a lot of pressure off of Moreno. When you look at the way the offense is constituted now, theres a lot of chain movers and not much explosiveness. Orton isnt the best deep ball thrower either. So, if Denver is getting big plays from Spiller, that allows Moreno to be the chain mover he is.

Why Spiller is better than Bryant: Spiller can just as easily be lined up out in the flats for quick screen. Spiller is better in space than Bryant. One false move and its cancel Christmas. Spiller is gone. Secondly, since there will be a lot of times that a LB is lined up on Spiller, he actually presents more opportunities for the deep ball than Bryant. Even if a safety is on him. Spiller has Chris Johnson like speed.

Thats why he's better than Bryant. Basically, everything Bryant offers, Spiller does also along with the ability to run the ball out of the backfield and return kicks.

Its hard to justify drafting Bryant when Spiller is there.

Also, Im not so sure, Spiller doesnt surprise people at RB. With better coaching, he might be good for 12 carries a game. 5 yards a carry would give him 1000 yards. Plus theres all the other stuff he does.
    Welcome, and good post.....not everyone agrees with everything around here, but it`s good to hear different points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Spending the 1st roudn pick, two years in a row, at one position when our team is void all over..... si the wrong move.

Teams have found RBs much later in this draft, and Spiller isn't a player that is a 'once in a lifetime' talent. He's only getting the recognition because of the great year CJ had in the NFL. Lets get talent in other areas, and STILL find more talent at RB later in the draft, and get more from the draft than yet, ANOTHER, first round RB.
    If you draft a WR in the first, are you really looking for a WR, or are you looking for a playmaker? The answer is the latter. Spiller is a better playmaker and thats ulitmately what matters.

Like I said, Spiller can give you practically everything Bryant does in the passing game but he can also play RB.

Spiller will be gone by 11.

Quote Originally Posted by moto4669 View Post
    Spiller will be gone by 11.
    Maybe, maybe not. If he is, he is. Where do you see him going?

This is what I see happening:

STL: QB
    DET: DT
    TB: DT
    WAS: LT
    KC: S
    SEA: LT
    CLE: QB/CB
    OAK: S/LT
    BUF: LT
    JAX: DE/QB

I can see a few places but nowhere that its automatic.

I think Seattle or Cleveland might take him. I do like Spiller though and would not be disappointed with pick.

Mainly because Spiller can do exactly what Knowshon can't.

Break the big one.

Two runs from Knowshon for over 20 yards last year, we need a compliment with Knowshon, that's why it's hard to justify him as a 1st rounder.

Champ Bailey in 2005
    30 times thrown at, 10 interceptions, 10 receptions, 10 incompletions

Quote Originally Posted by UJJ View Post
    If you draft a WR in the first, are you really looking for a WR, or are you looking for a playmaker? The answer is the latter. Spiller is a better playmaker and thats ulitmately what matters.

Like I said, Spiller can give you practically everything Bryant does in the passing game but he can also play RB.
    Right now, considering the lack of talent we have at WR, I'm lookign for a WR. But I'm not really advocating the grab of Dez at 11 either. I think we can find fine talent at WR in the second round.

I just don't want to see us use, yet another, first round pick on a RB. Spiller was a playmaker in college. Guess what, so was Moreno.....last year's first round pick. I didn't want to draft him in the first, either.

RB is the easiest position to play in the NFL, and one of the positions that normally have a very short career. I don't want to spend MORE money, another pick, on a RB when we can find a TON of talent at RB later in the draft.

Spiller "might" be a playmaker. But we just have too many needs to spend another 11th pick on a RB when we just did that last year.

Respect for you for steping out on a limb. I see how Spliller can create matchup problems all day long. But like some have said, we already have two solid backs that are more than capable.

The only way I would draft Spiller is if infact he is CJ2K 2.0. If he is, then you look like a genius. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Right now, considering the lack of talent we have at WR, I'm lookign for a WR. But I'm not really advocating the grab of Dez at 11 either. I think we can find fine talent at WR in the second round.

I just don't want to see us use, yet another, first round pick on a RB. Spiller was a playmaker in college. Guess what, so was Moreno.....last year's first round pick. I didn't want to draft him in the first, either.

RB is the easiest position to play in the NFL, and one of the positions that normally have a very short career. I don't want to spend MORE money, another pick, on a RB when we can find a TON of talent at RB later in the draft.

Spiller "might" be a playmaker. But we just have too many needs to spend another 11th pick on a RB when we just did that last year.
    First of all, I questioned the Moreno pick too. I would have gone with Beanie Wells. Moreno played in college at around 210 lbs and was fluid but not fast and not extremely powerful. He ran with decent lean though. But when he ran a 4.6 40, sirens should have gone off. During the season, Moreno didnt look like the same player in college. It looked like he had bulked up. Maybe this was a directive of McDaniels. Either way, he was not very fluid and definitely not fast. When there was 3 yards to be gained, he would get 3 yards. But on the few times he did get to the second level, he was less shifty and he made almost nothing happen.

Spiller is a totally different ball of wax. Spiller might have been the fastest guy in all of college football on the field with pads. He made fast players look slow. So, the issues that exist and existed with Moreno should remain with Moreno. If you lament drafting LTs because Foster didnt work out, we wouldnt have Ryan Clady now. Its hard to imagine speed of the game being an issue for Spiller. The guy has Chris Johnson like speed, who is an outlier among outliers (meaning even among NFL players where players are faster than college, he makes other players look slow).

Like I said, if youre looking for a WR in the first round, it should be a playmaker. And if youre looking for a playmaker and both Spiller and Bryant are there, Spiller should be an easy choice. Spillers not just a running back. He's an upgrade in every phase of your offense (Rushing, receiving and returning).
    Last edited by UJJ; 04-17-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Here's my thoughts/opinions on Spiller and Bryant. Both are remarkable athletes. But Spiller is going to be gone most likely in the top five.

As for Dez Bryant, I see this guy turning out to be another diva. And if we did draft him, hypothetically, it would be difficult in signing him. (aka Michael Crabtree) If the Broncos did'nt want to pay Marshall the big $$$, no way are they going to bend over for an unproven rookie WR.

I beleive we can cover both areas regarding RB and WR in the second round with the likes of a Toby Gerhart and Eric Decker. And it's not going to cost us a whole lot of money either.
    HOME OF THE 12TH MAN!

Too many other needs on our team to upgrade at RB when we already have a guy on the roster who will probably get 1200+ yards this season. We can find a complimentary back in the 3rd or 4th round (Montario Hardesty or Ben Tate both look like they could be steals). We need offensive line help and a WR a lot more than we need another running back.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
    Respect for you for steping out on a limb. I see how Spliller can create matchup problems all day long. But like some have said, we already have two solid backs that are more than capable.

The only way I would draft Spiller is if infact he is CJ2K 2.0. If he is, then you look like a genius. Who knows?

Well, look at it this way. Spiller gives maximum value in that he upgrades all phases of your offense. He improves your running game, receiving game, and return game. And, actually, he might upgrade your passing game as much or more than Bryant simply because he can take a short pass, make a guy miss and then he's off to the races. You see a pass to the flat more than you see Orton going up top. Youre talking about a .2 second difference between the two. Bryant is a 4.5 WR going against 4.4 CBs. Spiller is a 4.3 RB going against 4.6 LBs, 4.5 Ss, and 4.4 CBs. He's a more fluid runner and once he catches the ball in the flat, he can do more with it. And lets be honest, the deep ball might be more because of Orton than anything. Giving Orton another target in the short passing game that can take it the distance is probably the more practical way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMts69 View Post
    Here's my thoughts/opinions on Spiller and Bryant. Both are remarkable athletes. But Spiller is going to be gone most likely in the top five.

As for Dez Bryant, I see this guy turning out to be another diva. And if we did draft him, hypothetically, it would be difficult in signing him. (aka Michael Crabtree) If the Broncos did'nt want to pay Marshall the big $$$, no way are they going to bend over for an unproven rookie WR.

I beleive we can cover both areas regarding RB and WR in the second round with the likes of a Toby Gerhart and Eric Decker. And it's not going to cost us a whole lot of money either.
    I'd rather get Benn or Damian Williams in the 2nd, and grab Tate in the 3rd or 4th than take Gerhart who I think will be average at best in the NFL, and probably playing fullback within a few years
    Last edited by LightningRodBob; 04-17-2010 at 12:02 PM.