View Poll Results: Tebow Spectrum

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Next Elway/He's gonna be the best QB ever/etc

9 11.25%
  • He's gonna be damn good/a few SB wins/good playoff record/not quite Elway/etc

48 60.00%
  • Average/he'll end up being ok but now great

8 10.00%
  • Below Average

8 10.00%
  • Total bust

7 8.75%
Page 677 of 717 FirstFirst ... 177 577 627 667 675 676 677 678 679 687 ... LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,155 of 10749

Thread: Tim Tebow

All right, so who is the collegiate prospect that we've seen before that most resembles Tim Tebow? I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by jakemcclain View Post
    I'd love to sit down and have a glass of milk with Tebow.
    haha that cracked me up! Milk...so pure just like Tebow!
    http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr93/xgcadam/JakesSig1.png

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    All right, so who is the collegiate prospect that we've seen before that most resembles Tim Tebow? I'd love to hear it.
    I don't remember.

That's the point.

"We've never seen anything like this before" is something we hear about at least three or four times each season though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I don't remember.

That's the point.

"We've never seen anything like this before" is something we hear about at least three or four times each season though.
    You don't remember because there hasn't been one. The QBs you listed (except for Leaf) were all similar, archetypal, option QBs. They were fast, elusive runners with limited to virtually no power running the ball. If anyone said they hadn't seen a player like Vick before they were morons. He plays almost exactly like Randall Cunningham (though Cunningham was a better passer, and Vick is a little bit better athlete). There was also Kordell Stewart...

Beyond that, this isn't about Tebow as a starting QB. It's about his potential in short yardage situations. Tebow is unique in his skill-set as a short yardage runner at the QB position. You honestly don't get that?
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

I really don't think there has been anybody like Tim Tebow before.

Everybody is going to remember Tim Tebow even if he is a huge flop because he's Tim Tebow. He's so different from others. Nobody has ever combined all of the things that he has.

You bring up people like Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith etc. as examples, but we actually remember them because they came in with such promise because of their attributes and what they did in the college game, and while they have busted, we remember them because they were so hyped.

There has never been a college player like Tebow, because if there was, he would have been equally hyped, and we would have remembered him.

No, it isn't the point. If you can't name a comparison to a player like him, then your statement is irrelevant. The fact that you don't know one probably shows how unique Tebow is. So I'm asking you again, name a player from college football in the past several years who has came out at his position that he bears similarity to?

I've been watching college football and evaluating the draft for a long time. I don't think there has ever been a prospect with Tebow's unique skillset and pedigree enter the NFL. Why else would there be all the hype around him? He exceeded at a prolific level in one of the toughest conferences in college football. He completed an insane amount of his passes, and had a tremendous TD-to-INT ratio. He also had a penchant for making plays on his feet. Heisman Trophy winner. Multiple National Championships, IIRC.

There has got to be some name you can throw out there, right?

We've never seen anything like this:

Vince Young
    Michael Vick
    Roy Williams
    Ricky Williams
    Randy Moss
    Terrel Owens
    Akili Smith
    Charles Rogers
    Jamarcus Russel
    Joey Harrington
    Alex Smith
    Mike Williams (offensive tackle)
    Mike Williams (wide receiver)
    David Carr
    David Terrel
    Courtney Brown - remember him? On our team after washing out in Cleveland.
    Dwayne Robinson
    Reggie Williams
    Ryan Simms
    Peter Warrick
    Jamal Anderson
    Robert Gallery

We hear it all the time.

And then we forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I really don't think there has been anybody like Tim Tebow before.
    Has there been someone specifically like Tebow before? Maybe not.

But we've seen a lot of "There's never been anything like <insert player here> before."

Again, that's the point.

They're all unique, and we'd never seen anything like them.

Nor have we since. For good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    There has never been a college player like Tebow, because if there was, he would have been equally hyped, and we would have remembered him.
    The closest prospect I can think of would be Vick just because they were both left-handed, dangerous on the throw and run and extremely lethal options inside the 20. The difference is that Vick was a low-efficiency passer for his two years at Virginia Tech, while Tebow posted some of the greatest efficiency numbers in college football history at his position.

I guess somebody could toss out the names of former college quarterbacks who were often considered to raw to attempt the position in the pros and had to switch positions. Probably wouldn't be apt comparisons though.

I'm with you and Horsey, Tebow is an enigma all of his own. Perhaps the greatest, most intruiging player to ever dawn an NCAA uniform. Many have came before him, but not many, if any, were like him at all. He truly has the ability to be something special based on his pedigree, work ethic and intangibles.

I was confused with the pick, quite angry with it, but the more you learn about Tebow and know, the more you have faith that he can do some things we haven't seen in a long time with the Broncos.

Here's to hoping.

Vince Young
    Michael Vick
    Roy Williams
    Ricky Williams
    Randy Moss
    Terrel Owens
    Akili Smith
    Charles Rogers
    Jamarcus Russel
    Joey Harrington
    Alex Smith
    David Carr
    David Terrel
    Dwayne Robinson
    Reggie Williams
    Ryan Simms
    Peter Warrick
    Jamal Anderson
    Robert Gallery

We hear it all the time.

And then we forget.
    What does this have to do with Tebow? Because certain players have been (spuriously) hyped as unique, means Tebow isn't? That's some weak logic Alastor.

Team Tebow #108

Vince Young
    Michael Vick
    Roy Williams
    Ricky Williams
    Randy Moss
    Terrel Owens
    Akili Smith
    Charles Rogers
    Jamarcus Russel
    Joey Harrington
    Alex Smith
    David Carr
    David Terrel
    Dwayne Robinson
    Reggie Williams
    Ryan Simms
    Peter Warrick
    Jamal Anderson
    Robert Gallery

We hear it all the time.

And then we forget.

Well, besides getting a majority of their names wrong -- you don't have any evidence to back the claim up that people were stating, "We've never seen these kind of players before." -- Of course we have, which is why a majority of those players were paralleled and compared to other existing NFL players. Non-sequitur of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    What does this have to do with Tebow? Because certain players have been (spuriously) hyped as unique, means Tebow isn't? That's some weak logic Alastor.
    It doesn't have anything to do with Tebow. Glad you caught that too. It was a red herring and a non-sequitur wrapped into one. If you throw enough names out there at a wall, one would hope something would stick. Too bad the names and logic don't follow. Basically we're just witnessing Alastor grasping at straws because he doesn't want to admit that he is wrong.

The closest prospect I can think of would be Vick just because they were both left-handed, dangerous on the throw and run and extremely lethal options inside the 20. The difference is that Vick was a low-efficiency passer for his two years at Virginia Tech, while Tebow posted some of the greatest efficiency numbers in college football history at his position.
    And as I've said, their running styles are night and day, so even that comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Steve Young is probably the closest to Tebow that I can think of. Once again though there are some significant differences in their play styles.

Team Tebow #108

Steve McNair might be close. I would give the edge in passing to McNair and edge in rushing to Tebow.

McNair college stats..passing ..14496 yards/119 TDs...rushing...2237 yards/33TDs

Tebow college stats...passing..9285 yards/88 TDs..rushing...2947 yards/57 TDs

McNair total yards....16733/152 TDs
    Tebow totals............12232/145 TDs

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    And as I've said, their running styles are night and day, so even that comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Steve Young is probably the closest to Tebow that I can think of. Once again though there are some significant differences in their play styles.
    I've even heard some people mention Fran Tarkenton as a possible comparison, but he was well before my time so I couldn't speak much for it -- but a lot of die hard Vikings fans I know who are older seem to think it's a decent one to make, based on their efficiency as passers and ability to scramble.

Either way, I'm not worried about the comparisons, and I doubt Tebow is either. He's going to work his butt off and make a name for himself here just like he did in all levels of football he played in prior. Can't wait to see him start here as soon as possible.