Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Defensive Line ????

We passed on several D lineman (see below) that I thought might be attractive to the Broncos. Is this an indcation that we are very comfortable with our present talent, and depth? Is this in indication that the talent wasn't there after
    Suh, McCoy, Graham? Or, did we draft more for need ?

1st - Dan Williams, Jared Odrick
    2nd - Brian Price, Torrell Troup, Mt. Cody
    3rd - Corey Peters, Daniel Te'o Nesheim
    4th - Corey Wooten, Al Woods
    5th - Cam Thomas
    7th - CJ Wilson, Kade Weston

I think that they felt that the talent must have dropped off...hopefully the vets can stay healthy this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really want to know what the heck is up with baker. He looked great last preseason and the coaches are constantly talking him up. Also mcdaniels just said in a post draft interview that they have high expectations of him, yet he wasnt activated a single game last year?

I didnt expect him to be good as an udfa rookie, but we had so many wierd question mark dlinemen last year could it have hurt to activate him for a game and rotate in a couple times? I really want to know what we have in this guy! Also do we still have pedeclauxe(im sure I just murdered that name) and powell? I know they were on our ps last year.

Going into the draft I thought they had to at least get one big D-lineman. However when you look at needs across the board there were holes everywhere. The defense was the strong point last year ranking 7th. The offense was the weak link and the primary issues were QB play and interior O-line play.

The D-line was addressed with off season acquisitions. Even though they are not long term solutions it buys time for this season. 2011 will be the year of defense for the Denver draft. There are now few holes on offense so I don't see how Denver would need to draft a QB, WR, CB, or OL in 2011. Denver has invested heavily in the last two years in those areas. Next year it will be NT, 3-4 DE, ILB, and OLB, and maybe S.

Top Defensive line prospects for 2011. Lets take three.

1 Marvin Austin DT 6-3 305
    2 Cameron Heyward DT 6-5 288
    3 Stephen Paea DT 6-1 288
    4 Jerrell Powe DT 6-2 340
    5 Jarvis Jenkins DT 6-4 310
    6 Adrian Taylor DT 6-4 292
    7 Kendrick Ellis DT 6-5 340
    8 Drake Nevis DT 6-1 292
    9 Lawrence Marsh DT 6-4 305
    10 Mike Blanc DT 6-4 288
    11 Phil Taylor DT 6-4 355
    [CENTER][B][U]2010 Mock Daft[/U][/B]
    1st NT Dan Williams-Miss-Coulda Shoulda
    1st OG Mike Iupati--Miss
    2nd WR Demaryius Thomas--Hit
    3rd C Matt Tennant-Hit--Sort of -- didn't expect Walton available
    4th ILB Donald Butler--Miss

Prediction -Orton loses the starting QB position by week 10[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Starbroncs View Post
    I really want to know what the heck is up with baker. He looked great last preseason and the coaches are constantly talking him up. Also mcdaniels just said in a post draft interview that they have high expectations of him, yet he wasnt activated a single game last year?

I didnt expect him to be good as an udfa rookie, but we had so many wierd question mark dlinemen last year could it have hurt to activate him for a game and rotate in a couple times? I really want to know what we have in this guy! Also do we still have pedeclauxe(im sure I just murdered that name) and powell? I know they were on our ps last year.
    They like his ability to play the 5 technique and the NT but they wanted to send him to the practice squad to get more training because he was having trouble adapting. I read that somewhere but i cant find it now. We now have 10 D-lineman and I think from what it seems Bannan Green and Williams will be the the starters and we have good depth with many players who at one point have started in their career.

We can put off drafting for a year are O-line was not great last year dont have a definite starter at G we had no C and our backup has been a guy whose been on 4 teams in 3 years. We needed the face lift.

The truth is DT are commonly busts because they are such huge guys they either have issues with injuries or have endurance issues or are just not very good. Many good teams have been known to no trust rookies for this position and place them in backup while you have proven veterans. We had no 4th rounder and after that the depth at 3-4 d-line is weak and unlike the last draft you dont have a player like Baker who falls into FA because of a bad history

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    They like his ability to play the 5 technique and the NT but they wanted to send him to the practice squad to get more training because he was having trouble adapting. I read that somewhere but i cant find it now. We now have 10 D-lineman and I think from what it seems Bannan Green and Williams will be the the starters and we have good depth with many players who at one point have started in their career.

We can put off drafting for a year are O-line was not great last year dont have a definite starter at G we had no C and our backup has been a guy whose been on 4 teams in 3 years. We needed the face lift.

The truth is DT are commonly busts because they are such huge guys they either have issues with injuries or have endurance issues or are just not very good. Many good teams have been known to no trust rookies for this position and place them in backup while you have proven veterans. We had no 4th rounder and after that the depth at 3-4 d-line is weak and unlike the last draft you dont have a player like Baker who falls into FA because of a bad history
    is green really our starting RDE? I thought he wasnt expected to start, he himself even said it would be a bad idea and hes more of a situational pass rusher.

McD was asked by Mike Evans in an interview on the fan why the Broncos didn't adress the defense more in the draft. He said that in the early rounds the draft just fell so that offensive players were available. He said that in the later rounds, there weren't many defensive players that would have a good chance to make the roster, and they were looking for thier draft picks to come in and have a chance to do that.

The secondary has a ton of young players backing up the vets. The only LB the Broncos have over the age of 30 is Haggen. The defensive line has Fields, Baker, McBean, Thomas, and Smith, who are all in thier 20's as depth.

I think Baker is going to get lots of playing time this year. He might even become a starter at either RDE or LDE and Jarvis Green to rotate with him. That is how I see it playing out.

Chris Baker then J.Green rotating with him
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is green really our starting RDE? I thought he wasnt expected to start, he himself even said it would be a bad idea and hes more of a situational pass rusher.
    Correct! Jarvis said that he is more effective if he is rotating on third downs and such
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by agentj007 View Post
    Going into the draft I thought they had to at least get one big D-lineman. However when you look at needs across the board there were holes everywhere. The defense was the strong point last year ranking 7th. The offense was the weak link and the primary issues were QB play and interior O-line play.

The D-line was addressed with off season acquisitions. Even though they are not long term solutions it buys time for this season. 2011 will be the year of defense for the Denver draft. There are now few holes on offense so I don't see how Denver would need to draft a QB, WR, CB, or OL in 2011. Denver has invested heavily in the last two years in those areas. Next year it will be NT, 3-4 DE, ILB, and OLB, and maybe S.

Top Defensive line prospects for 2011. Lets take three.

1 Marvin Austin DT 6-3 305
    2 Cameron Heyward DT 6-5 288
    3 Stephen Paea DT 6-1 288
    4 Jerrell Powe DT 6-2 340
    5 Jarvis Jenkins DT 6-4 310
    6 Adrian Taylor DT 6-4 292
    7 Kendrick Ellis DT 6-5 340
    8 Drake Nevis DT 6-1 292
    9 Lawrence Marsh DT 6-4 305
    10 Mike Blanc DT 6-4 288
    11 Phil Taylor DT 6-4 355

How could you sleep on Allen Bailey outta Miami? He is an absolute BEAST!

Well unless we get Henderson I see us mostly rotating D-lineman. I think we might see Smith, McBean and Thomas rotating in fairly often this year unless one of them gets cut. I think Thomas is in a put up or shut up year and I think McBean did great last year till he got injured. Smith is coming into his own as well.

I dont see Baston making the team and Baker might just end up on practice squad again he is still young and shows promise but I think he needs training.
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 04-27-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Well unless we get Henderson I see us mostly rotating D-lineman. I think we might see Smith, McBean and Thomas rotating in fairly often this year unless one of them gets cut. I think Thomas is in a put up or shut up year and I think McBean did great last year till he got injured. Smith is coming into his own as well.

I dont see Baston making the team and Baker might just end up on practice squad again he is still young and shows promise but I think he needs training.
    I see us keeping 8 D-linemen:

Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Chris Baker, Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Green, Ronald Fields, Ryan McBean, Le Kevin Smith

If we keep 7, either Le Kevin Smith or Marcus Thomas gets the axe (possibly McBean though).

One of the 3 rookies makes it to the practice squad: Jaron Baston, Ben Garland, Jeff Stehle. My money would be on Baston.

Hopefully next year we draft a young DE and NT to push fields and whoever our last DE is off the roster.

FYI - Baker was not on the practice squad last year. He was on the 53 man roster from week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
    FYI - Baker was not on the practice squad last year. He was on the 53 man roster from week 1.
    Yup. I don't know if he was ever active, but he was on the roster.

Baker won't go to the PS, IMHO. He'll get snatched up by someone in need of NT depth if he gets cut. I think he'll start rotating in this season -- he's had his redshirt year, and he should start to contribute now.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
    Yup. I don't know if he was ever active, but he was on the roster.

Baker won't go to the PS, IMHO. He'll get snatched up by someone in need of NT depth if he gets cut. I think he'll start rotating in this season -- he's had his redshirt year, and he should start to contribute now.
    True the fact that for 14 games he was inactive makes me wonder about him but he wasnt on the PS. I liked him before we drafted him and I hope he becomes our starter after Jamal gives him some tutelage. Still I wish we traded for John Henderson granted I dont know what Ild of traded for him. If they had taken our 7th rounders that would have been amazing LMAO

By the way noone else thinks Garland being 270 is to small to be a 3-4 D-lineman and may actually be an OLB in our system.

This is how I see it

RDE Jarvis Green Ryan McBean (Jaron Baston)
    NT Jamal Williams Ronald Fields Chris Baker (Jeff Stehle)
    LDE Justin Bannan Marcus Thomas

LeKevin Smith cut. Baker does have the ability to play both DE and NT I think he is going to see more rotation this year. I think McBean and Thomas will fight Smith for the final 2 spots and barely win. Still I am routing for Smith over Thomas I wish we never drafted him
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 04-27-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
    I see us keeping 8 D-linemen:

Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Chris Baker, Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Green, Ronald Fields, Ryan McBean, Le Kevin Smith

If we keep 7, either Le Kevin Smith or Marcus Thomas gets the axe (possibly McBean though).

One of the 3 rookies makes it to the practice squad: Jaron Baston, Ben Garland, Jeff Stehle. My money would be on Baston.

Hopefully next year we draft a young DE and NT to push fields and whoever our last DE is off the roster.

You summed up almost exactly what I was going to say.