Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just Passers By?

I was out for supper with my dear wife, and I enjoyed the festivity, though it was merely a light and informal occasion. A cool restaurant, not too busy, tasty food and a good feel in the house. The evening was enriched by some amazing weather......warm, with a comfortable dry breeze, blowing the gentle air right through me. I always love that feeling.

As I looked around the restaurant I thought to myself how interesting it is that we are just passers by, this group. And I wondered about where life is taking each one of these people. And here we all are, stopping for a brief period to enjoy, then move on. We have little connection, other than we are company this fine evening. Apart from the staff, it is unlikely that we will ever meet again, at least knowingly. If so, it is improbable that we will remember.

And as for the staff, for many this is not the place that they strive to be. They are in transition. Some are students, paying some bills, but acting every bit the role of a fixed member of this team of service providers. Some are very good at it. Those skills will bode well for them as they take on new assignments in life. Other staff may in fact be permanent in their roles, and proud of the fact. This is where they want to be. Good for them. They are definitely doing a good job, as my wife and I can attest.

In many ways, we are all moving on. We stop here and there on our way to somewhere else. We have a meal, we go to a show, we are in this relationship as we create new ones, we work at this job as we strive to get that job. But interestingly, at least to me anyway, we bump into one another at these times. For me, this was a good time, and hopefully for all the others that met up this day, this evening. Sadly, some other places we meet at, are not so good. In other cases, we move so quickly, like at a bus stop or subway, or traffic light, that the experience may be neutral.

So many meetings, so many passers by. Is it all connected I don't really know. It seems random and structured, but which is it really? Had I changed my part of the plan, would the outcome change as well, for one or two, or for many? Life's like that. So much to hold onto, and yet so little guaranteed.

I choose to believe that we can all be going in the right direction, as long as we are committed to do so. And as you pass by, I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for. It may appear to be unconnected and even adrift at times, and there will be misfortune, but wait it out. Keep striving. It's far better to move forward, because standing still is exactly that.

I bid you happiness in your search.
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-15-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Sometimes I when a see cars passing by or Airplanes over head I wonder what stories they contain. What does the future hold for those people. What problems are they dealing with. etc
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Southstander View Post
    Sometimes I when a see cars passing by or Airplanes over head I wonder what stories they contain. What does the future hold for those people. What problems are they dealing with. etc
    It makes life so intriguing, don't you think South? At least I find it that way.

That was actually deep Can, I've never thought about such a thing like that. It's true though, we're all just here in a transition for our whole lives pretty much :salute!:

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    It makes life so intriguing, don't you think South? At least I find it that way.
    I do as well. I also wonder about people on old photos. What happened after they picture was taken. Was it a good day, did they everthing that over 100 years later we would be looking at them.

I thoroughly enjoy conversing with people at crowded event's such as concerts and sporting event's because I know I've got something in common with them, but like figuring out what the rest of their lives are like to an extent. Even though I know I probably won't meet those people again I enjoy listening to their stories, or even just briefly their opinions. It makes life whole.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy180 View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy conversing with people at crowded event's such as concerts and sporting event's because I know I've got something in common with them, but like figuring out what the rest of their lives are like to an extent. Even though I know I probably won't meet those people again I enjoy listening to their stories, or even just briefly their opinions. It makes life whole.
    I agree Frenchy......take every opportunity you can to meet others.....you may only get one chance, and who knows what you may miss by not stopping by to say hello.

It's pretty crazy stuff lol

I agree Frenchy......take every opportunity you can to meet others.....you may only get one chance, and who knows what you may miss by not stopping by to say hello.
    I always take time to thank Vets for serving and Defending my Country. I have met one of the Tuskegee (SP) Airmen, and on of Doolittle's Raiders. I will never forget meeting these Living American Legends. They helped change the world. One of the most touching experiences I had while thanking a vet when I was working at Dish Network. I was helping a costumer, and during the conversation it came out he served in Nam. So I took a moment to thank him. After I was through, there was a long pause and he said, with tears in his voice, that I was the first person to ever thank him for serving in the war. Can you believe it! In the three decades since he served not one person ever thanked him. I know I will never forget him, and it means so much to me that someone finally told him personally that the hell he went though was appreciated.

I got to thinking about this while I was at work. Frankly with my job, it's kinda hard not to think about it. I'm an after hours janitor at a heavy equipment dealership. I work on the second floor where most of the cubicles are. It's fun to look at the decorations people have in their cubicles. Some have them decked out with pictures of their kids, some pictures of nice tropical locations and some are just plain empty. I ponder about whether or not these people live happy lives, if they like their job... Sometimes I think to myself, that's a cool looking dog, wonder what his name is? How did this person come to be a fan of the Kansas Jayhawks? What is the story for these people? I think that's why I enjoy my job as much as I do, when it's such an undesirable job for most people... Just thought I would share.

I got to thinking about this while I was at work. Frankly with my job, it's kinda hard not to think about it. I'm an after hours janitor at a heavy equipment dealership. I work on the second floor where most of the cubicles are. It's fun to look at the decorations people have in their cubicles. Some have them decked out with pictures of their kids, some pictures of nice tropical locations and some are just plain empty. I ponder about whether or not these people live happy lives, if they like their job... Sometimes I think to myself, that's a cool looking dog, wonder what his name is? How did this person come to be a fan of the Kansas Jayhawks? What is the story for these people? I think that's why I enjoy my job as much as I do, when it's such an undesirable job for most people... Just thought I would share.
    Thx for sharing.......I understand fully.

Though not exactly the same, it reminds me of when I visit my Mother in her care home, and I see the posted obituaries of those who have passed (too often)....and I like to read them, because these elderly, sometimes confused and often very ill folks were nothing like the person they are today. The stories I read relate their individual stories.....from they very youth. And the stories are filled with success, and of families they have raised, and of places they have been. And they were strong and full of vitality, for a long, long time. That is what I see when I look at them now........I look past this last stage in their lives, and dwell on all those years of wonder and accomplishment.

Though not exactly the same, it reminds me of when I visit my Mother in her care home, and I see the posted obituaries of those who have passed (too often)....and I like to read them, because these elderly, sometimes confused and often very ill folks were nothing like the person they are today. The stories I read relate their individual stories.....from they very youth. And the stories are filled with success, and of families they have raised, and of places they have been. And they were strong and full of vitality, for a long, long time. That is what I see when I look at them now........I look past this last stage in their lives, and dwell on all those years of wonder and accomplishment.
    The job I held before my current one was an in home caretaker for my elderly neighbor. It was rather tough to see how much age had diminished her in mind and body. At the same time it was fun to hear her stories of the past. Now she is in a nursing home. I haven't been able to make it in to see her for a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping she will be able to remember who I am.

The job I held before my current one was an in home caretaker for my elderly neighbor. It was rather tough to see how much age had diminished her in mind and body. At the same time it was fun to hear her stories of the past. Now she is in a nursing home. I haven't been able to make it in to see her for a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping she will be able to remember who I am.
    Frenchy......never lose that "respectful" nature. It's one of the most special traits one can have.

^^ This ^^

I am exactly the same way about crowds.

Friday night, my wife and I had a spontaneous moment and headed down to Toadz a local bar for evening on the town.

We sat next to another couple and shared our thoughts about where we each work, where we live in town and shared our displeasure with the local weather lately.

There were two bands out of Vegas playing in our little town 175 miles away. They had never been to Cedar City and thanked the crowd for coming out to watch them.

When the gigs were over, we went up to the stage and talked with these young guys as they were breaking down their stage and putting their instruments in the van to head home.

It was so enjoyable to hear how they got their bands going and even gave them some constructive criticism which they actually thanked us for. They said nobody in Vegas takes the time to talk with them and get to know them like we did. A great bunch of guys.

As they were leaving, they thanked us for the hospitality, commented about how friendly everyone was to them and said they planned on coming back which they never would have considered if not for the warm welcome they received.

They said they look forward to our paths crossing again and hope we come out see them play next time around. We assured them that we would.

Just a small example of the thread topic.