Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Too bad we are going to lose Utah to the Pac 10
    Quote Originally Posted by RealBronco View Post
    hmmm not likely. the Pac 10 is not interested in expansion...unless the rumors of the Pac 10 becoming the Big 16 and merging with the powerhouses from the Big 12 are true...then either way, Utah isn't in that conversation.
    oh and look, it seems ESPN is adding fuel to the fire.

PAC-10/Big12 Merger?

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You might be interested in this 12and4.

Fresno Bee Article about BSU.

i for one think the writer is just a little butt-hurt. also the Big West gave us our start in Div. I-A, not the WAC.

also i disagree with the idea that we would all of a sudden be okay with the BCS if the MWC gets an auto-bid. that's still sometime down the road, if ever as far as i know. unless all this shake up in other conferences ACTUALLY happens, MWC probably won't be getting an auto-bid any time soon.

also i think Fresno deserves to move into a similar conference as well. and once we're out of the WAC i'll be able to actually root for them freely lol.

in fact, even if the MWC became a BCS conf. i would still rather have a playoff. even teams WITHIN BCS conferences have a hard time making it to the NC game (of course, mostly because they are terrible and probably don't deserve to be in that conference etc but still).

anyway... that's just one perspective from another WAC school.

you'd think this writer would be excited, because this move should open the doors for Fresno and Nevada as well, maybe.

Question A Big 16 Conference.

hmmm not likely. the Pac 10 is not interested in expansion...unless the rumors of the Pac 10 becoming the Big 16 and merging with the powerhouses from the Big 12 are true...then either way, Utah isn't in that conversation.
    I wonder how a Big 16 Conference would work. Surely, each team wouldn't play the other 15 teams in the conference. That would make for a 15 game season which would be rather long by college football standards. Perhaps they could divide the conference into 2 divisions, each with 8 teams. A team could play against the other 7 teams in their division once and could play 3 or 4 more games against oppenents of the other division. That would make for a 10 or 11 games regular season. Top 4 or possibly top 8 teams overall in the conference could advance to the conference championship playoffs. The divisions could be realigned each year or 2 to keep things interesting and fresh.

Or perhaps they could have 4 divisions with 4 teams each. A team would play once against the other 3 teams in their division. They would also play against 2 or 3 opponents in the 3 other divisions. That would make for a 9 or 12 games regular season. Top team in each division would advance to the playoffs. Realignment of the divisions would be done a on regular basis.

Anyone else have any ideas on how a Big 16 Conference might work?

Quote Originally Posted by GNWbronco View Post
    I wonder how a Big 16 Conference would work. Surely, each team wouldn't play the other 15 teams in the conference. That would make for a 15 game season which would be rather long by college football standards. Perhaps they could divide the conference into 2 divisions, each with 8 teams. A team could play against the other 7 teams in their division once and could play 3 or 4 more games against oppenents of the other division. That would make for a 10 or 11 games regular season. Top 4 or possibly top 8 teams overall in the conference could advance to the conference championship playoffs. The divisions could be realigned each year or 2 to keep things interesting and fresh.

Or perhaps they could have 4 divisions with 4 teams each. A team would play once against the other 3 teams in their division. They would also play against 2 or 3 opponents in the 3 other divisions. That would make for a 9 or 12 games regular season. Top team in each division would advance to the playoffs. Realignment of the divisions would be done a on regular basis.

They are planning to have two 8 team divisions. one division will be comprised of the original 8 members of the PAC-10, and the two Arizona teams would join the other 6 newcomers from the Big12. Then they will likely do the same thing 12 team conferences do and have a conference championship game etc.

however, under your ideas, i don't think conference realignment would be necessary. even if they had the four 4 team divisions. either way, you're right, there is no way they'd play everyone in one season. and i think it would be bogus to never get to have OOC games.

Everything you might want to know about the possible Realignments of the Big 10/12 and PAC 10 is on Huskerpedia.com, or ESPN.com.

We will know one way or another Friday.
    oh YEAH?

Before ...

Quote Originally Posted by GNWbronco View Post

... the Mountain West Conference was created, the WAC had sixteen teams. Apparently it didn't work because it was too big. Revenue sharing might be an issue. It always boils down to money, doesn't it?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

To take or not take Boise State

Today was supposed to be the day that the first shoe of expansion dropped.

The Mountain West was supposed to extend an invitation for Boise State to join the league in 2011 and the Broncos were supposed to accept.

That was before the Pac-10 and Big 12 started stealing the spotlight.

For the past few days, speculation has been rampant about the Pac-10 taking six teams from the Big 12 to form a 16-team league. There also are rumors that the Big Ten will invite Nebraska and Missouri, leaving the Big 12 with just four teams and essentially a defunct league.

So here’s the Mountain West, prepared to expand by one, but now presented with an opportunity to expand with the remaining Big 12 teams.

What’s a conference to do?

Reports have been all over the place:

The Mountain West could go ahead with its scheduled plan and ignore the Pac-10 report.
    The Mountain West could hold off on expansion until the Pac-10 and Big Ten send invites, which could happen this week.
    The Mountain West could now look to expand to 16 teams.
    The Mountain West has tried to stay away from massive expansion to avoid what happened to the 16-team WAC (which ultimately created the Mountain West), but Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said the conference presidents talked about the idea on Sunday.

"At the 30,000-foot level, we talked about 16 for the first time in a long time," Thompson told media camped out in Jackson, Wyo.

So, here’s this week’s question: If you’re the Mountain West, do you wait to let expansion play out or take Boise State and look to go to 16 teams? And if the conference does wait, does Boise State fear it might be left out in the cold?

We might find out this answer later today, but I thought I’d let you all play commissioner. Now, we don’t know which teams will be available, but it looks like a four-team mixture of the potential choices -- Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State -- could be on the table. So what do you think? Should Boise State be sweating?

Same drill as usual. Send your thoughts to my mailbag and I’ll post them tomorrow. Regardless of today’s outcome (if there is one), this should still create some good talking points.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...ke-boise-state

so far it's looking like we're back to square one. no movement from the meeting room as of yet.

a little while ago from Twitter: Brian Murphy is an Idaho Statesman columnist.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Murphy via Twitter
    @murphsturph: No MWC presidents will be speaking. Most in room take that as sign no invite will be extended.

well that's that i guess. might have figured as much.

no expansion for MWC just yet:

Thompson: membership is pleased with strength of MWC. at this time, on June 7, they opted not to expand
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Kuester via Twitter
    Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson said, "At this time on June 7 board opted not to expand."
    i think the PAC-10/Big12 merger rumors are to blame for this.

well that's that i guess. might have figured as much.

no expansion for MWC just yet:

i think the PAC-10/Big12 merger rumors are to blame for this.
    Mountain West will still expand. They are just waiting to see who the Pac10/Big10 invite.

Mountain West will still expand. They are just waiting to see who the Pac10/Big10 invite.
    exactly. but then, i'm not sure BSU would want to accept an invitation if MWC loses Utah or TCU etc. unless some of remaining Big 10 teams come in or remaining Big XII

for instance, this also from Murh:

Thompson: Expansion is still very much alive.

exactly. but then, i'm not sure BSU would want to accept an invitation if MWC loses Utah or TCU etc. unless some of remaining Big 10 teams come in or remaining Big XII

for instance, this also from Murh:
    No they won't be losing either from the sounds of it now. PAC 10 is targeting 6 Big 12 teams. If CU Texas A & M Texas Tech Texas Oklahoma Oklahoma State all get invited, Boise will probably still get invited. After that I see MWC inviting Kansas Kansas State, and hopefully they invite Houston as well.

That would give the MWC the Denver, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, San Diego, Boise, and AlbuquerqueTV markets

No they won't be losing either from the sounds of it now. PAC 10 is targeting 6 Big 12 teams. If CU Texas A & M Texas Tech Texas Oklahoma Oklahoma State all get invited, Boise will probably still get invited. After that I see MWC inviting Kansas Kansas State, and hopefully they invite Houston as well.

That would give the MWC the Denver, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, San Diego, Boise, and AlbuquerqueTV markets
    Maybe. I don't know if the MWC wants to end up with a super conference though, they were created because the 16 team WAC didn't work out. and a 13 team conference is just odd (literally lol)

more news:

(also this is why Twitter is great)

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd Cripe of Bronco Beat
    Craig Thompson on Boise State: "I don't think the door's closed."
    and another from @IDS_BroncoBeat:

just as i already stated:
    MWC wants to wait for Pac-10, Big 12, Big Ten to shake out. "That would be the preferable," Craig Thompson says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Mandel of SI.com
    The BCS AQ formula says MWC has to finish in "top six" of 3 criteria. If Big 12 dissolves -- problem solved
    <---this is without needing to bring in BSU.

Maybe. I don't know if the MWC wants to end up with a super conference though, they were created because the 16 team WAC didn't work out. and a 13 team conference is just odd (literally lol)

more news:

(also this is why Twitter is great)

and another from @IDS_BroncoBeat:

just as i already stated:

<---this is without needing to bring in BSU.
    Yea but if BIG 12 dispands we will certainly want to get to 12 teams.

Yea but if BIG 12 dispands we will certainly want to get to 12 teams.
    most likely. i've always thought that that would make more sense than just going to 10 anyway. they really need 12 in order to get that BCS status. but if that disbursement happens, that may STILL leave Boise State out of the loop again. esp if MWC decides to take the Kansas teams etc