Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs down Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga denied a perfect game by blown call

Oh man this pisses me off. No link yet since it just happened, but Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga had two outs in the top of the 9th with a perfect game on the line. Indians hitter Jason Donald hits a ball between first and second. Tigers 1st baseman Miguel Cabrera fields the ball and tosses it to Galarraga for the out. While it was close, it was OBVIOUS that Donald was out and Galarraga had a perfect game. Veteran umpire Jim Joyce calls Donald safe. Replays clearly show that Donald was out.

I won't be shocked if the play is overturned, if the rules allow. What a travesty. I understand human error but COME ON!

OVERTURN IT NOW BUD SELIG!!!!!

Holy **** 3 perfect games this close together

I saw it live

.....horrific call

The first and only time there were 2 perfect games in a season was in June of 1880. This would've been the third perfect game in a month's span. To those who don't watch baseball, it's a 135 year old sport with only 20 perfect games.
    Last edited by DevilSpawn; 06-02-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    The first and only time there were 2 perfect games in a season was in June of 1880. This would've been the third perfect game this month.
    actually it would be the first one this month ahaha i get what u mean though.....bud selig has to step in and fix this, it was cleary a perfect game and 27th out

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
    actually it would be the first one this month ahaha i get what u mean though.....bud selig has to step in and fix this, it was cleary a perfect game and 27th out
    Are we in June already? I edited it.

Looking at it again, it wasn't even close. Even if Selig overturns the call, the ump ruined a moment rarely seen. And what's worse is that the ump is one of the best in the game.

Are we in June already? I edited it.

Looking at it again, it wasn't even close. Even if Selig overturns the call, the ump ruined a moment rarely seen. And what's worse is that the ump is one of the best in the game.
    That ump is gonna a bunch of death threats and retire pretty soon. Seriously though how can u blow that call, it was very obvious in real time

Just heard on ESPN that umpire Jim Joyce released a statement:

I just cost this kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convined he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career.
    Damn.
    Last edited by DevilSpawn; 06-02-2010 at 07:04 PM.

MLB needs instant replay like the NFL has. Why not have 2 challenges per game and if you win them a 3rd one. It is not like the games are going to be any longer, especially in the AL.

The umpires suck. The strike zone because of questech is so small. I miss the old days when I was growing up when there were strikes called at the letters. You know the knees to the letters as is the rule book. Just look at any game on MLB network that is being replayed from the 70s or 80s and it seems like a different game now.

Bud Selig get a clue. Learn from the best league in the world, the NFL

Just heard on ESPN that umpire Jim Joyce released a statement:

Damn.
    I just read he had tears in his eyes as he personally apologized to Galarraga. Galarraga is totally a class act throughout the whole thing too. He didn't say a thing, even during the game.

I really hope Selig changes the call, for Galarraga and Jim Joyce's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    I just read he had tears in his eyes as he personally apologized to Galarraga. Galarraga is totally a class act throughout the whole thing too. He didn't say a thing, even during the game.

I really hope Selig changes the call, for Galarraga and Jim Joyce's sake.
    Yeah Galarraga had a "you gotta be kidding me" smile on his face and just went on to finish the game. He was probably the only Tiger that didn't say anything. Total class.

I don't think Selig will overturn the call. He'll probably just wait for the dust to settle. If he overturns the call, he undermines a fine veteran umpire, which only adds embarrassment to Jim Joyce, which is unfair to him. They had an incident where an ump cost the Royals a World Series title by blowing a call late in a game, and they didn't overturn that, and that's a bigger scenario. It truly is the human element of the game and blown calls happen all the time... just never in a perfect game lol.

They had an incident where an ump cost the Royals a World Series title by blowing a call late in a game, and they didn't overturn that, and that's a bigger scenario.
    actually that blown call helped the royals win the world series. it was game 6 and the royals were down 3 games to 2 to the cardinals. They were down by 1 in the 9th and ended up winning in the 9th. in game 7, sanit lousis lost 11-0, so they cleary had the chance to recover from that call.

I really hope Selig overturns this call. Its blatant that he was out.

And as for Joyce, I know that he had to make a tough call but in that position how do you not give the edge to the pitcher? Ive seen pitchers that are going for No-Nos or Perfects get a wider strike zone and more leway with their pitches. That is rough if this stands as is.
    LET 'ER BUCK!!!
    Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Sucks for Galarraga, but it won't be overturned. Could you imagine if Selig overturns this call and undermines Joyce? Every team would want all of their "bad" calls after the fact to be overturned.

It's REALLY really sucky. How Joyce thought he beat the throw, I have no idea. It was a slow ball in the first place and it the situation, he should have just rang him up.

Props to the guy for standing there and taking it from everyone before he left the field. He knew he screwed up....

....Part of me wonders if it was on purpose.

Hooray, beer!

This just sucks, sad story all the way around. This will be a hot topic for a while.