Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Why not? If rookie quarterbacks can start in the NFL, Tim Tebow is certainly capable of being the number two option on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by neckbeard View Post
    Given that there's about a month before the first preseason game, Tebow simply doesn't have enough time left to be worked up as a #2 QB in an Offense as complex as Josh's...
    That's just silly. Tebow was already playing at the same level as Quinn in OTAs. Given a month of work, I would say he'll almost certainly supplant Quinn as the backup, complex offense or not.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Why not? If rookie quarterbacks can start in the NFL, Tim Tebow is certainly capable of being the number two option on our team.
    Well, for one thing - as many have pointed out here - there's the distinct possibility of Orton suffering a fairly serious injury and being unable to play. At that point the #2 QB has to take over. Maybe for multiple starts or even the rest of the season. McD's Offense demands that the QB make his reads off of MULTIPLE cues - most Offenses only use a single cue per read. Additionally, the WRs have to make those same reads using the same cues as the QB and go with the same option on the play. That calls for a great deal of empathy between the QB and ALL of his receivers that they always read Defenses the same way.

Do you really think that a rookie QB can be properly coached up to that level before the opening kickoff in Jacksonville?
    "That's a crap question."
    - Kyle Orton

Quote Originally Posted by vandammage13 View Post
    I don't think that Weis "Pro Style Offense" has helped him out so far. Playing in a "Pro Style Offense" in college helping a QB is probably one of the most overrated notions out there. 3 out of the top 4 QB's drafted this year came out of various spread attacks (Sam Bradford, Tebow, and Colt McCoy) If teams were really concerned about that then Bradford would not have went number 1-especially with his bum shoulder....

Also, your statement that Quinn is ahead of Tebow doesn't hold much weight since most reports coming out of OTAs had Tebow on par or better than Quinn.
    Great post. Nothing more needs to be said.
    Josh has said many times, Tim brings a unique skillset which can be used. That alone gives him an edge on the #2 spot.

Reps to you sir!

Do you really think that a rookie QB can be properly coached up to that level before the opening kickoff in Jacksonville?
    Do you really think we'd run the full offense in all it's complexity if Tebow was out there that early? Besides, we're talking about him being the backup, not the starter. Trust me, Quinn isn't anywhere close to mastering this offense's complexity either, and he doesn't add the other dimensions that Tebow does.

Team Tebow #108

Well, for one thing - as many have pointed out here - there's the distinct possibility of Orton suffering a fairly serious injury and being unable to play. At that point the #2 QB has to take over. Maybe for multiple starts or even the rest of the season. McD's Offense demands that the QB make his reads off of MULTIPLE cues - most Offenses only use a single cue per read. Additionally, the WRs have to make those same reads using the same cues as the QB and go with the same option on the play. That calls for a great deal of empathy between the QB and ALL of his receivers that they always read Defenses the same way.

Then Tim justs needs to play until the 4th qtr when Quinn can come in. The following week Quinn starts and Tim is still backup. Hell Tim may come in and be more effective then Quinn. Then what else will you say? Seniority?

Given that there's about a month before the first preseason game, Tebow simply doesn't have enough time left to be worked up as a #2 QB in an Offense as complex as Josh's...
    Seriously?....you don't think Tim can get to the number 2 spot by the time the season starts? You have guys coming straight into the league and grasping an offense in time to start opening week. Yes, Josh's offense is complex, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it is so much more complex than every other team's offense.

Yes, Tebow has much to learn before he can start, but to be the #2, he won't be expected to know the entire offense. Most #2's run a watered down version of their respective offense when they come in. Don't forget that this is Quinn's first year in the system too, and he didn't exactly light it up in the last one he was in. Quinn has as much to learn in this new system as well.

Tebow is just simply going to have the advantage over Quinn because, fair or not, the Broncos have more invested in him and are going to give Tebow more of an opportunity to get those second team reps in order to prepare him for the future. It will be tougher for the Broncos to groom their QB of the future (if that's what they think Tebow is) for 2011 by giving him 3rd string and scout team reps. They are going to give him the 2nd string reps so that he can be groomed more quickly.

A lot of first-round selections have started games, whether they were coached well enough to perform or not. Nobody is asking Tebow to start right now. Your statement regarded him being able to take the #2 spot. I was stating if rookies can start for teams, why couldn't Tebow show enough to be our back-up quarterback?

He can be. Will he? Who knows. That is what camp and the pre-season is for.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post

Meanwhile indications are that Quinn is struggling to hold Tebow off for the #2 spot.
    .... Trust me, Quinn isn't anywhere close to mastering this offense's complexity either

Really? Where did you read that exactly? What coach has said that? I haven't seen any coach or any player or anyone who's been to every OTA practice mention anything of that at all?

I could care less who we have as QB now or "the future", but I never understood posters posting crap like this about this player is struggling and this player is doing this or that; when none of us or even reporters are there at practice EVERY day and counting every rep to get an accurate picture. Hell, most of the OTA's were closed to everyone but the team.

It's all speculation or internet bloggers pumping their own egos of how they supposedly have or know the "inside" info....
    Last edited by Quigs10; 07-26-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs10 View Post
    Really? Where did you read that exactly? What coach has said that? I haven't seen any coach or any player or anyone who's been to every OTA practice mention anything of that at all?

I could care less who we have as QB now or "the future", but I never understood posters posting crap like this about this player is struggling and this player is doing this or that; when none of us or even reporters are there at practice EVERY day and counting every rep to get an accurate picture. Hell, most of the OTA's were closed to everyone but the team.

It's all speculation or internet bloggers pumping their own egos of how they supposedly have or know the "inside" info....
    The reports were pretty consistent that Quinn and Tebow were playing at roughly comparable levels. Believe what you like, but those were the reports.

Team Tebow #108

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    The reports were pretty consistent that Quinn and Tebow were playing at roughly comparable levels. Believe what you like, but those were the reports.
    Link? Stats that back this? I'm pretty sure neither of us were at the OTA's correct? So, no first hand knowledge. And many of the OTA's were not open to public. And most OTA's are individual work and 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 in controlled situations. Not much can be gained or lost really. so everyone usually plays at comparable levels. Orton should outperform the other QB's just on playbook and offense experience alone.

Now, once training camp starts and pre-season begins...then we'll have some tangible evidence to go on. Don't believe "Joe Blogger Bronco-insider" on the internet.

There were reports that tebow looked just as good as Quinn in OTA's but it needs to be kept in perspective those are controlled situations where its just about the execution of one play . In camp when the defense starts to change up defenses and checkdowns and protection calls are expected its a different story .

This is why the coaches mentions things like how both have a long way to go because they understand its a controlled environment for both the defense and the offense .
    "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83

Link? Stats that back this? I'm pretty sure neither of us were at the OTA's correct? So, no first hand knowledge. And many of the OTA's were not open to public. And most OTA's are individual work and 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 in controlled situations. Not much can be gained or lost really. so everyone usually plays at comparable levels. Orton should outperform the other QB's just on playbook and offense experience alone.

Now, once training camp starts and pre-season begins...then we'll have some tangible evidence to go on. Don't believe "Joe Blogger Bronco-insider" on the internet.
    Obviously training camp and preseason are where these things will really be hashed out, I was just relaying what's been reported. And I'm not going to try and find links for stuff that's over a month old, sorry.

Team Tebow #108

"...but it needs to be kept in perspective those are controlled situations where its just about the execution of one play . In camp when the defense starts to change up defenses and checkdowns and protection calls are expected its a different story . "

Exactly... OTA's are for instruction and getting reps and learning the system or refreshing yourself on your Off or Def. system. It's like the 1st two weeks of Spring Training in baseball. Not worth much on judging how a guy will do in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    Then Tim justs needs to play until the 4th qtr when Quinn can come in. The following week Quinn starts and Tim is still backup. Hell Tim may come in and be more effective then Quinn. Then what else will you say? Seniority?
    That's true.

Actually, I honestly see Tebow as the "emergency QB" at the beginning of the season. If there's a game where the Broncos are comfortably ahead in the 4th Qtr (say 2 TDs or more), then Tebow very likely will be given at least a series or two in order to see what he can do in a real game. If he looks good then he'll get the bump to #2.

Of course, it Denver is up by 14+ points in the 4th Qtr it might just be because Orton has really "clicked" and moved up to the next level. In that case, Josh might not want to mess with what's working and just leave KO in there. There's just no telling until they actually play.

Gawd, I can't wait for football to start again...
    "That's a crap question."
    - Kyle Orton