Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    he is 6'- 218 you know around the same size as moreno.,

    beanie wells as a sick ass stiff arm watch his game against he packer where knocks a guy flat with his stiffarm and gets a TD.

    lastly matthews will be around the same level as a Knowshon Moreno in production nexyt year

    i am not sold on Tra Thomas as your LT.
    He's a little bigger than Moreno, but Moreno is a little bit more physical as a runner. Watching Moreno run, he loves contact and fights hard for extra yards, but he hasn't shown breakway ability yet. Mathews has breakaway ability and a nasty stiff-arm, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to grind out the tough yards, even though he has the size for it. His highlight videos are mostly long breakaway runs, whereas Moreno's highlights are plays where he grinded out 5-10 yards after first contact. He runs higher, which works for some runners but it can lead to injuries for others. We shall see.

    I agree with you on Tra Thomas. Word on the street is that McNeill will begin contract negotiations with the Chargers next week. I wonder if AJ knows about that... ? Either way, I don't expect Tra Thomas to be the starter for more than a game or 2, if that. He's done as an NFL starter.
    Last edited by Chargerbomb; 07-23-2010 at 12:12 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,908

    If ...

    ... Ryan Mathews was the kind of RB who could carry his team to victory, Fresno would have won the New Mexico Bowl against Wyoming.

    San Diego will need a good line to block for him. I think he'll be a good player for the Chargers for a long time.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by 12and4 View Post
    Mathews must be the luckiest guy in the world.


    i don't get what you are trying to say by that post...

    99% of td's are from blown coverages.. that is the definition of a td... something the defense doesn't want to happen usually.
    What's so hard to understand? The defense blew it in all of those plays and all Mahews had to do was beat like one guy. Having a defense completely fail to properly react to a play doesn't prove that a back is elite, it proves that he's good enough to take advantage of horrible defensive play. Those are two very different things.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

    Team Tebow #108

    Yards, without points, mean nothing.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    What's so hard to understand? The defense blew it in all of those plays and all Mahews had to do was beat like one guy. Having a defense completely fail to properly react to a play doesn't prove that a back is elite, it proves that he's good enough to take advantage of horrible defensive play. Those are two very different things.
    Its real good when you have a back who can recognize that and take advantage of that. That's what he does well.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by IbarHarry View Post
    Its real good when you have a back who can recognize that and take advantage of that. That's what he does well.
    Sigh...no it's not. Seriously I think Mathews is a promising back, but those plays against Boise State really prove absolutely nothing other than Mathews has good speed. He had other runs throughout his career that were much more impressive from the standpoint of him actually making something happen rather than benefiting from an opposing defense tripping all over themselves.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

    Team Tebow #108

    Yards, without points, mean nothing.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,658
    Quote Originally Posted by 12and4 View Post
    Its mathews, not matthews...


    Okay. so now we begin.

    Mathews basically smashed (#4)boise states defense for 240 yards i think it was.

    he basically was the only reason that fresno state was close in that game.

    He is a north/south rb that doesn't waste time dancing around, but rather runs right through defenders.

    he is patient and waits for the holes to open before running right through them, which is where most rookies that i've seen play lack.

    He played cincy (8th) and basically ran all over them as well, i think gathering about 150 yards.

    The one game FS got smashed was when he got injured in like the first quarter, so its obvious that he was the only thing that FS had going for them that season.


    Another stat you should look at is that he has never once fumbled. Not lost fumbles, but fumbles in general. 0 in 3 years.


    The only thing i was questioning on his nfl career was his speed, but he showed that he has that too by running a 4.4 as a 5'11 225 lbs rb...


    I just don't see how he wasn't the best RB in this draft.



    Chargers will have a great offense next season i think, and its sad to admit... lets just hope our defense is better than their offense... because in my opinion our offense > their defense.

    I project RM will get the ROY... with 1200 yds.






    gotta defend my man mathews, sorry.


    oh and btw, this post contains a lot of "he playeds" as a sarcastic response to the way you think that one person should be able to win the game for the team. you are judging the team and not the player. by saying that he didn't beat a ranked team shows a lack of knowledge. He played 3 ranked teams (or 2) they just happened to be top 5 teams (or top 10). He brought those games very close to the last minute. I don't see a question of clutchness at all.




    although i am very bias
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    He's a little bigger than Moreno, but Moreno is a little bit more physical as a runner. Watching Moreno run, he loves contact and fights hard for extra yards, but he hasn't shown breakway ability yet. Mathews has breakaway ability and a nasty stiff-arm, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to grind out the tough yards, even though he has the size for it. His highlight videos are mostly long breakaway runs, whereas Moreno's highlights are plays where he grinded out 5-10 yards after first contact. He runs higher, which works for some runners but it can lead to injuries for others. We shall see.

    I agree with you on Tra Thomas. Word on the street is that McNeill will begin contract negotiations with the Chargers next week. I wonder if AJ knows about that... ? Either way, I don't expect Tra Thomas to be the starter for more than a game or 2, if that. He's done as an NFL starter.
    morenos not as explosive as matthews.matthews is more of a boom or bust product while i think moreno is a guy who can get 1000 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving. and be good to great but never elite

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    Sigh...no it's not. Seriously I think Mathews is a promising back, but those plays against Boise State really prove absolutely nothing other than Mathews has good speed. He had other runs throughout his career that were much more impressive from the standpoint of him actually making something happen rather than benefiting from an opposing defense tripping all over themselves.
    Yeah I agree with you. I watched that game, and all of those runs were just him using break away speed, and outrunning 1 or 2 defenders, because the defense broke down in the middle of the play. He even out ran Kyle Wilson in one of those runs.

    The same goes for Jeremy Avrey, most of his 50+ runs and catches, were similar to RM's. He used his speed and the defense broke down in the middle of the play. Kinda lucky for RM and Avery, but I think RM will be a solid RB, based on what I've seen from him.
    Last edited by Amari24; 07-23-2010 at 12:43 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    Sigh...no it's not. Seriously I think Mathews is a promising back, but those plays against Boise State really prove absolutely nothing other than Mathews has good speed. He had other runs throughout his career that were much more impressive from the standpoint of him actually making something happen rather than benefiting from an opposing defense tripping all over themselves.
    I get what you're saying, but don't you think that vision and recognition of where the hole was gonna open up played a role in those runs? Also, many runs are just "1 tackle away" from being breakaway runs. I'd give Mathews some credit for beating that first man, even if he made it look easy.

    Great players make the game look easier than it is. Boise St had a very good running defense, notably shutting down LeGarrette Blount so bad (5 yards on 8 carries) that he blew a gasket and punched a dude in the face. I don't believe it was a coincidence that Mathews ripped off so many long runs during the season. He has great vision and the ability to blow through a small hole without losing speed. Easier said than done.

    The counter-argument is that maybe he was the beneficiary of great blocking. I'm no scout, so it's tough for me to assign credit. But make no mistake, he produced all year, against some good defenses. It'll be fun to see if he continues breaking off these long runs against much tougher competition.
    Last edited by Chargerbomb; 07-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    I get what you're saying, but don't you think that vision and recognition of where the hole was gonna open up played a role in those runs?
    When the hole is a giant four-lane highway, and the defense has completely blown the play, I'm not inclined to credit a back for having the 'vision' to see it.

    I'm not trying to take away from Mathews, but honestly those plays weren't that impressive. Boise State really sucked defending the run in that game...bad...
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

    Team Tebow #108

    Yards, without points, mean nothing.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    When the hole is a giant four-lane highway, and the defense has completely blown the play, I'm not inclined to credit a back for having the 'vision' to see it.

    I'm not trying to take away from Mathews, but honestly those plays weren't that impressive. Boise State really sucked defending the run in that game...bad...
    Fair enough. I hate highlight videos that just show a guy running 60 yards untouched over and over again. Give me some footage of the guy breaking tackles, cutting through traffic, bowling people over, etc.

    We will find out soon enough if Mathews is the real deal. A lot of people seem to think that the Chargers reached, and I certainly wasn't happy that they traded away their 2nd round pick YET AGAIN, the 3rd year in a row they've done that. But if he returns their run game to respectability and becomes the workhorse with breakaway speed that Norv wants, it'll be worth it.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,159
    No doubt in my mind Mathews will be the better player. Moreno's just... average at everything. Nothing he really excels at besides maybe pass catching.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
    No doubt in my mind Mathews will be the better player. Moreno's just... average at everything. Nothing he really excels at besides maybe pass catching.
    Heh...if you say so...
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

    Team Tebow #108

    Yards, without points, mean nothing.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,159
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    Heh...if you say so...
    You act as if what I'm saying is lies. He's not exceptionally fast, not a power back, isn't THAT agile, is an above average pass catcher, & is an above average blocker. What do you disagree with? He'll never be an elite back, he doesn't have the skill set to become one. He'll be a 4 YPC+ type of guy but he'll never be a gamebreaker. You can tell a lot about rookie RB's in their first year...

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Under a Magnifying Glass
    Posts
    12,577
    The reason we didn't utilize RM in the pass game was because we had 4 RB's that we also wanted to get some play time, so we allowed them to do the screens and routes.

    Just my theory, because it aint like he can't catch lol.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
    You act as if what I'm saying is lies. He's not exceptionally fast, not a power back, isn't THAT agile, is an above average pass catcher, & is an above average blocker. What do you disagree with? He'll never be an elite back, he doesn't have the skill set to become one. He'll be a 4 YPC+ type of guy but he'll never be a gamebreaker. You can tell a lot about rookie RB's in their first year...
    I bolded the parts of your post that make you look particularly ignorant. You're welcome.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

    Team Tebow #108

    Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •