Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I like the way Mathews carries himself- he's got a swagger that I like. I think the kid can be really good if he keeps himself healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by 91bronco View Post
    I like the way Mathews carries himself- he's got a swagger that I like. I think the kid can be really good if he keeps himself healthy.
    thats whats great about him, he's got his head on straight.

Lets hope money doesn't change that, but he seems to have his priorities straight.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    I bolded the parts of your post that make you look particularly ignorant. You're welcome.
    He's not that agile, what do you not see? Do you see him constantly shaking dudes? No, you don't. And yes, he doesn't have the skill set to be elite...Doesn't possess great speed or power. You can tell a lot about rookie running backs in their 1st year(that's if they get significant playing time).

Nothing I said was ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
    He's not that agile, what do you not see? Do you see him constantly shaking dudes? No, you don't. And yes, he doesn't have the skill set to be elite...Doesn't possess great speed or power. You can tell a lot about rookie running backs in their 1st year(that's if they get significant playing time).

Nothing I said was ignorant.
    Knowshon is actually very agile. That agility and quickness was his biggest asset in college. He has yet to completely show that in the NFL, but he definitely showed flashes of that last season and I think we will continue to see more of it as he becomes more comfortable with the offense and the speed of the game. I think his vision will definitely improve this year. He also has underrated power and ability to break tackles.

I agree with you in that he will never be elite, but really how many backs are elite? Johnson, Peterson, Rice, and Jones-Drew are the only ones I consider elite. I think Knowshon has the ability to be in the "very good" category right below that. He will be a player who will consistently run well, catch well, and block well. He will make plays in all aspects of the offense.

Also, Tomlinson and many other backs struggled in their rookie seasons, so you can't say that for sure. Knowshon actually had a higher yards per carry average than Tomlinson. And that was with a center totally incapable of playing in a power-blocking system, which allowed him to constantly be avoiding defenders in the backfield. That's not to mention the loss of Harris at right tackle, which had a huge effect on the run game.
    Go Broncos!!!

I thought a sprinkle of Rivers might add to this discussion.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...hews-8986.html

Who knows, but I think he is going to be a lot better than a lot think. But as we all know anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
    Knowshon is actually very agile. That agility and quickness was his biggest asset in college. He has yet to completely show that in the NFL, but he definitely showed flashes of that last season and I think we will continue to see more of it as he becomes more comfortable with the offense and the speed of the game. I think his vision will definitely improve this year. He also has underrated power and ability to break tackles.
    That's what I'm basing the agility off of, him in the NFL so far. You're right, he was very agile and quick in college.

I agree with you in that he will never be elite, but really how many backs are elite?
    True.

Also, Tomlinson and many other backs struggled in their rookie seasons, so you can't say that for sure. Knowshon actually had a higher yards per carry average than Tomlinson. And that was with a center totally incapable of playing in a power-blocking system, which allowed him to constantly be avoiding defenders in the backfield. That's not to mention the loss of Harris at right tackle, which had a huge effect on the run game.
    This is also true, but he also showed flashes of being very good in his rookie year despite running behind one of the worst O-lines at the time. Even with what I said about Moreno before, I'd still take him over glass McFadden anyday.

johnson and peterson are the only 2 elite backs in the NFL right now.

Knowshon can be Elite but he would need to show more power, more speed, he has alot more speed then he is given credit for though, not top end explosiveness but he has more speed then people give him credit for. he is agile enough and has enough power to break tackles, you will defintally see an improvement from his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    johnson and peterson are the only 2 elite backs in the NFL right now.

Knowshon can be Elite but he would need to show more power, more speed, he has alot more speed then he is given credit for though, not top end explosiveness but he has more speed then people give him credit for. he is agile enough and has enough power to break tackles, you will defintally see an improvement from his rookie year.
    People forget about Steven Jackson. He is better than both of them IMO just has to play with a crappy team.

Quote Originally Posted by owninit View Post
    I think linemen would have done as much as anything.....

Getting one of the top two backs in the draft doesn't mean much if it's not a strong rb class...
    so you are saying they should have not drafted a RB at all and went with linemen? we had a much larger need at RB than linemen, even though our run blocking isn't the greatest.

we literally have nobody to carry the rock other than sproles, were we supposed to draft a RB in the 3rd or later and expect him to carry the load, just so we can upgrade one linemen?

the chargers pretty much had no choice, they had to pick the best RB they thought could fill that void after letting go of LT.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    so you are saying they should have not drafted a RB at all and went with linemen? we had a much larger need at RB than linemen, even though our run blocking isn't the greatest.

we literally have nobody to carry the rock other than sproles, were we supposed to draft a RB in the 3rd or later and expect him to carry the load, just so we can upgrade one linemen?

the chargers pretty much had no choice, they had to pick the best RB they thought could fill that void after letting go of LT.
    I agree completely. Mathews was a solid pick for you based on your needs.

That said, I honestly think a lot of Chargers fans have unrealistic expectations of what he can do behind that less-than-stellar run blocking. We shall see.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

I agree completely. Mathews was a solid pick for you based on your needs.

That said, I honestly think a lot of Chargers fans have unrealistic expectations of what he can do behind that less-than-stellar run blocking. We shall see
    i am not one of them, it wont surprise me if he struggles his rookie season. but if he does they better upgrade their run blocking next year, that is all i have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    i am not one of them, it wont surprise me if he struggles his rookie season. but if he does they better upgrade their run blocking next year, that is all i have to say.
    I agree to an extent. But I think the problem is more with the ancillary blocking (fullbacks, tight ends, receivers) than the line. Gates is the best pass-catching tight end in the league, but his blocking is horrid. Hester and Tolbert are not strong blockers, and VJ, although a good downfield blocker, struggles at the line for some reason.

Look at the starters on the offensive line and tell me who is the weakness in run-blocking. Nobody can seem to answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    Look at the starters on the offensive line and tell me who is the weakness in run-blocking. Nobody can seem to answer that question.
    I can't think of any really great run blockers either though...

Team Tebow #108

I can't think of any really great run blockers either though...
    There are about 6 pro-bowls between Hardwick, Deilman and McNeill. That was the left side that LT ran behind on like 75% percent of his plays in 2006, when he ran for 1880 yards and 31 touchdowns. I remember how nobody could stop that pitch out to the left, back before LT lost his speed, balance, vision and classiness. That line dominated the league that year, and did well enough for LT to lead the league in rushing yards the next year as well. Vasquez is a mammoth at right guard, but he has the quick feet to get down the field to the 2nd level. He is a beast in the making. Clary, while unspectacular, graded out as our best run-blocker last year (kinda like being the tallest midget, I know).

Now if you want to make the case that injuries have slowed Hardwick and McNeill, I'll buy into that to some extent. But looking at the line, it's a solid group. It's easy to blame them for the poor performance last year, and they certainly didn't get a great push. But there were a lot of other factors involved as well. Again, I don't think the Chargers have a great offensive line or even a very good one, but I believe it has been unfairly maligned for many problems beyond their control. They have a chip on their shoulder, and they are eager to prove Tomlinson wrong.

I'm on record as saying that Mathews will have a good year (1100 yards, 12 touchdowns) if he stays healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    There are about 6 pro-bowls between Hardwick, Deilman and McNeill. That was the left side that LT ran behind on like 75% percent of his plays in 2006, when he ran for 1880 yards and 31 touchdowns. I remember how nobody could stop that pitch out to the left, back before LT lost his speed, balance, vision and classiness. That line dominated the league that year, and did well enough for LT to lead the league in rushing yards the next year as well. Vasquez is a mammoth at right guard, but he has the quick feet to get down the field to the 2nd level. He is a beast in the making. Clary, while unspectacular, graded out as our best run-blocker last year (kinda like being the tallest midget, I know).

Now if you want to make the case that injuries have slowed Hardwick and McNeill, I'll buy into that to some extent. But looking at the line, it's a solid group. It's easy to blame them for the poor performance last year, and they certainly didn't get a great push. But there were a lot of other factors involved as well. Again, I don't think the Chargers have a great offensive line or even a very good one, but I believe it has been unfairly maligned for many problems beyond their control. They have a chip on their shoulder, and they are eager to prove Tomlinson wrong.

I'm on record as saying that Mathews will have a good year (1100 yards, 12 touchdowns) if he stays healthy.
    Oh they were great in 2006. Unfortunately this is 2010. I don't know if it's injuries or what, but they definitely aren't anything special anymore. Then again, they could have a resurgence. Only time will tell.

Team Tebow #108