Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Power!

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    Thanks mods, for creating this sub-forum.

I hate the Chargers.com forum (particularly the moderators). This will be my new home away from home, I think.
    It's yours for the taking. Hopefully this place will grow into something really positive.
    Brock you like a hurricane!

Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

what if everyone from chargers.com migrates here...

lol...

that would be a scary sight!

be good for the site tho, double revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by 12and4 View Post
    be good for the site tho, double revenue.
    You know, I wonder if something like that could be considered a conflict of interests?

I mean I know that the Chargers organization doesn't own its fans, but what are their rights to the exclusivity of their forum as an official NFL thing? I mean if there was a migration en mass from their board to ours what would the ramifications of that be?

I mean I would highly doubt something like that would happen, but I'm curious if you guys (mods/site staff) talked about that aspect at all and what the conclusion was.
    Last edited by kishzilla; 08-20-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    You know, I wonder if something like that could be considered a conflict of interests?

I mean I know that the Chargers organization doesn't own its fans, but what are their rights to the exclusivity of their forum as an official NFL thing? I mean if there was a migration en mass from their board to ours what would the ramifications of that be?

I mean I would highly doubt something like that would happen, but I'm curious if you guys (mods/site staff) talked about that aspect at all and what the conclusion was.
    The solution there is for them to produce a better, more appealing forum. I mean, they should be ashamed if we take a chunk out of their population.
    Brock you like a hurricane!

Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    The solution there is for them to produce a better, more appealing forum. I mean, they should be ashamed if we take a chunk out of their population.
    Well we already have TBH. There have been quite a few people that have come here and said that's why they're here instead. It's my personal opinion that we've even had some Mods from that board trolling here during last season.

My question was more to the legal aspect.

I realize that the solution would be for them to create a better environment, but it's pretty obvious that isn't something they're concerned with.

They don't have any exclusive rights to a Charger's forum or else private message boards would be put out of business.

If we started using their logos, then they'd have a legitimate complaint, but that's different.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

They could buy ad space here!
    Thanks, Reid!

Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    They don't have any exclusive rights to a Charger's forum or else private message boards would be put out of business.

If we started using their logos, then they'd have a legitimate complaint, but that's different.
    I think the logos belong to the NFL as well as the teams.

We're part of the NFL. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is we can use their logos all we want. The reverse is also true.

The logo is good for revenue, regardless of how it appears.

If they were to migrate, they can't do anything about it.

They cannot control WHERE chargers fans talk... that would be against the law.

if a whole bunch of chargers fans want to chat at a broncos forums, they can...

as another poster said, they should make their forums more approachable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I think the logos belong to the NFL as well as the teams.

We're part of the NFL. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is we can use their logos all we want. The reverse is also true.

The logo is good for revenue, regardless of how it appears.
    Interesting take.

'NFL franchise' is the key phrase...

Hard to say on where 'ownership' of some of that would be. I think it's mainly considered joint. I'm guessing though.

I don't think the Chargers can market much in the way of products that aren't approved by the NFL.

I hear that the new look of our website (the main one, not the forums) was universal to the whole league.
    Thanks, Reid!

Quote Originally Posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    But does the official NFL version of the Chargers Message board have exclusive rights amongst official NFL boards?

That's what I'm getting at. It has nothing to do with fan created boards etc.

I guess the best way I can explain it would be something like a Franchise with territory rights. Say a Carpet Cleaning business. One franchise owns the rights to Denver, and another owns the rights to say Boulder. The Denver franchise cant go start cleaning carpets in Boulder because it's taking away from the Boulder franchises revenue from that territory that they own the rights to.

I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just curious.

But does the official NFL version of the Chargers Message board have exclusive rights amongst official NFL boards?

I guess the best way I can explain it would be something like a Franchise with territory rights. Say a Carpet Cleaning business. One franchise owns the rights to Denver, and another owns the rights to say Boulder. The Denver franchise cant go start cleaning carpets in Boulder because it's taking away from the Boulder franchises revenue from that territory that they own the rights to.

Yeah, but they wouldn't be able to stop a Boulder resident from going to the store in Denver to have a rug cleaned.
    Thanks, Reid!

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Yeah, but they wouldn't be able to stop a Boulder resident from going to the store in Denver to have a rug cleaned.
    But wouldn't it be a conflict of interests for the Denver franchise to solicit those customers? What you've brought up is more analogous to what we had before we created these separate boards.

We created a section for serious, non-smack talk about the other teams in the AFC West. We have that right. People have the right to discuss other teams in the NFL on a Broncos message board.

If Chargers fans want to forsake their own board for this one, there's nothing they can do about it.

Trust me, this was cleared with the Denver Broncos, I'm sure they appreciate your insight, but their lawyers already checked.

Thanks for the concern, though.
    Sick avy by Blondie79

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Interesting take.

'NFL franchise' is the key phrase...

Hard to say on where 'ownership' of some of that would be. I think it's mainly considered joint. I'm guessing though.
    Well, we have this smiley:

I don't think we asked the Raiders how they felt about it, but I'm quite certain they were run by the legal department before they were approved (most of them anyway, and I believe this is one that was).