Merriman sidelined by Achilles

Merriman sidelined by Achilles'

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 8:45 p.m.

Shawne Merriman’s road back to the field and hoped-for return to dominance will have to wait some more and could be a bit bumpier than expected.

An Achilles’ injury Merriman has battled for several years flared up Tuesday night, and Merriman will almost certainly miss Saturday’s game.

Merriman, who sat out the first two weeks of training camp unhappy with a lack of stability provided by a one-year contract and no guarantee the Chargers won’t trade him, signed his $3.269 million tender on Friday and practiced for the first time on Monday.

“It’s tough, working my way back into it,” said Merriman, who said he was not shocked there was a setback. “I knew coming in that it’s a lot of work and we’d have to take it one day at a time.”

His Achilles’ has troubled him “on and off for years.” Merriman said it gets extremely sore and swollen and rest is the only solution. He said he is not worried about being able to maintain it during the season.

However, the nature of it being recurring is troubling to the Chargers, especially considering Merriman missed the final 15 games of the 2008 season following reconstructive knee surgery and was limited by various injuries (primarily a foot but also the Achilles’) in 2009.

“The training staff does a great job recognizing what I have going on and helping me,” Merriman said. “It’s just one of those things you have to watch and maintain.”
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ined-achilles/

dudes knee is still jacked up, oh well....hopefully English has a break out year if merriman's knee cant hang anymore.

Though he is missing reps in a live game, its probably a good thing that he takes the safe route and makes sure he's really ready to go, afterall, its pre-season.

not expecting anything out of merriman this season anyway, i hope he is a pleasant surprise, i just don't think he'll recover from the titans breaking him

and next year he'll be in the ufl IMO lol

The guy just can't stay healthy can he? Tough break for you guys...
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Good move by the chargers to not sign him to a long term deal. I'd say his time is done in the NFL after this year.

Hope for the best for the guy! Hopefully he proves me wrong and heals quickly and performs at his pre-surgery level.

Best of luck to him!

He'd probably be better off just playing in nickel situations. English should be ready to go anyway.

No wonder why he wanted a little "security" this offseason. Maybe he knows he's damaged goods............

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Tough break, guys. I wonder if he regrets not having held out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Tough break, guys. I wonder if he regrets not having held out now.
    I don't see how it would've made much difference.

Merriman has been battling this achilles problem for years. He is resting it so that it doesn't become a chronic problem during the season. He should be fine come September.

Well look on the bright side, you guys dodged a bullet not signing a big contract, and he hasn't produced for a couple years now, so it wont be a huge loss. It's giving you an out to move on to other guys with a chance to do something in the NFL. Losing his leadership in the huddle will be missed I'm sure, but you guys need someone who can be effective against the run AND pass rush.

Quote Originally Posted by kishzilla View Post
    Well look on the bright side, you guys dodged a bullet not signing a big contract, and he hasn't produced for a couple years now, so it wont be a huge loss. It's giving you an out to move on to other guys with a chance to do something in the NFL. Losing his leadership in the huddle will be missed I'm sure, but you guys need someone who can be effective against the run AND pass rush.
    First off, you are implying that he will miss a lot of time. By all accounts, this sounds like a minor thing.

Secondly, your last sentence makes zero sense. Unlike your top pass-rusher, Merriman is truly a beast against the run and has been for years. His knee should be fine now. I expect Merriman to be effective as both a pass-rusher and a run-stopper this season if he can keep his nagging injuries under control.

Achilles trouble is no fun. I've got a family history of it, myself. If it tears, it's good riddance to physical activity.
    Brock you like a hurricane!

Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

He hasn't been the same player since he was caught doing steroids. It seems like his body has been falling apart on a continual basis since he got off the juice. I'm thinking his career is almost over.

Quote Originally Posted by bucking bronco View Post
    He hasn't been the same player since he was caught doing steroids. It seems like his body has been falling apart on a continual basis since he got off the juice. I'm thinking his career is almost over.
    He was pretty awesome a full year after he got caught. It was a dirty play by the Titans that wrecked his knee and caused so much trouble the past 2 years.

I think he will have a big year this year.

this seems like smack to me, lots of players use or have used steroids......that's not the issue.

like Chargerbomb said, the issue is a couple dirty players took his knee out and he is having trouble recovering from it.

roids or no roids, its not an easy injury to come back from. also, the chargers haven't been too great at stopping the run and when that happens it pretty much takes away any pass rush.

of you dig deeper you will notice that all of our guys sack numbers have gone down, not just merrimans.

He had a good year after they found out he was on the roids, the major mistake was the whole waffling about if he should get surgery or not and basically blew a year simply because of that.

Thing is though, roids mess your body up and nothing is quite the same integrity-wise. Just see Luis Castillo a.k.a. "Mr. Glass."

IMO he's done. I do follow him on twitter though, always great getting tweets from him, like getting jokes sent to you every day.