Results 1 to 15 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    11,835

    McKinley suffered from depression following knee surgery

    http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...-surgery/5286/

    Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley was suffering from depression after undergoing knee surgery four weeks ago, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s office.

    The department ruled that McKinley’s death was a suicide caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head while lying in his bed at his Aurora home. An autopsy performed by the Arapahoe County coroner’s office Tuesday morning confirmed the finding of suicide.

    The report, quoting an investigator at the scene, said McKinley had made statements shortly after the surgery “that he should just kill himself.”

    The report added McKinley didn’t know what he would do if he couldn’t play football because football was all he knew.

    McKinley broke most of the significant receiving records at South Carolina previously held by Sterling Sharpe, but making it in the NFL had been a challenge since being selected by the Broncos in the fifth round of the 2009 draft.

    McKinley, 23, played sparingly last year as a rookie and was placed on season-ending injured reserve with his knee problem just before training camp.

    The report said McKinley was found in his upstairs bedroom with a pillow over his head. The gun, a black, semiautomatic Taurus, was inside the pillow case and McKinley’s right hand was just below the gun’s grip. The TV in the bedroom was on the NFL Network. Police said the second floor was “very smoky” and the attending officer “could smell a strong odor of marijuana.” A bag of leafy substance was found in a shoe box that was in the bedroom.

    The report also said McKinley had been taking 500 milligrams of Naproxen, an over the counter pain reliever.
    Police responded to a call from a female who was hysterical, saying her friend (McKinley) just shot himself, saying he had the gun in his hand and blood was coming out.

    Among those listed who presented information were former Broncos’ running back Cory Boyd, who was McKinley’s roommate at the University of South Carolina and a close friend, Boyd’s wife Brittany, and several females. Brittany Boyd and Shantell Smith, both of Aurora, and a small child were outside McKinley’s residence when officers arrived. The child was McKinley’s son, Keon.

    An interview with Smith revealed she and Brittany Boyd picked up McKinley and his son at the Denver International Airport on Sunday night. The two women stayed at McKinley’s house with his son while McKinley went to an unknown female’s home. He did not return to his home until 7 a.m. Monday.

    The report said officers were told Shantell Smith and Brittany Boyd went with a person to get lunch at 12:15 p.m. When they returned they went upstairs to McKinley’s room and saw a sheet pulled over his body.
    They decided to let him sleep, but then both women went upstairs around 3 p.m. and pulled the sheet down from his body.

    Investigators with the Arapahoe County sheriff’s office said no suicide note was left by McKinley.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,840
    Found the gun in his hand, huh?

    Interesting.

    Depression sucks.

    Hooray, beer!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Broncos Country
    Posts
    10,343
    so that's why he committed suicide...

    depression can do a lot to a guy...

    2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    46
    this has hit me pretty hard... but the thing that bothers me the most is the people calling this man selfish and a coward. im disgusted at the finger pointing people do when a human beings life is taken. him saying he should just kill himself after surgery should of raised some major flags... i think all injured athletes should be more involved with the team regardless of injury. i dont mean like babysitting the players but maybe some kind of coaching program where the players could still be around the team just like a normal player. i only hope his son watches highlights of his father one day and is extremely proud of him not only for what hes done on the field but for the person he was off of it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atl
    Posts
    2,546
    Just talked to one of his friends and SUPPOSEDLY he had recently recieved news from his DR that he probably wouldnt ever play again because of his knee.

    I posted the above last night.... Sad he thought football was all he had.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhawkins9 View Post
    Just talked to one of his friends and SUPPOSEDLY he had recently recieved news from his DR that he probably wouldnt ever play again because of his knee.

    I posted the above last night.... Sad he thought football was all he had.
    Do you know what his knee injury specifically was?

    It's extremely eerie that his suicide was football-related and that he was watching NFL Network and smoking marijuana when he did it. Like something out of a movie.

    I wonder if there were any signs among people in the organization of his depression. I also wonder if depression is a side-effect of any of his pain meds.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by ntmckinney View Post
    this has hit me pretty hard... but the thing that bothers me the most is the people calling this man selfish and a coward. im disgusted at the finger pointing people do when a human beings life is taken. him saying he should just kill himself after surgery should of raised some major flags... i think all injured athletes should be more involved with the team regardless of injury. i dont mean like babysitting the players but maybe some kind of coaching program where the players could still be around the team just like a normal player. i only hope his son watches highlights of his father one day and is extremely proud of him not only for what hes done on the field but for the person he was off of it.
    I work in a Inpatient Psych unit. Depression is common to people that have been active and are down with an illness, injury, or surgery. I think you have a great idea that the Teams need to get players that are on IR more involved. Community outreach programs, youth football, just getting out and putting on their jersey's will heal a player quicker than sitting on their butts at home in between rehab sessions. I also think it should be mandatory that they meet with a counselor during this time also. McKinley was very active in football and all of a sudden it was gone. It's the same for a workaholic that looses his job....they don't see the other things to live for in their lives. They need a reason to get up in the morning and feel like they are doing something worthwhile. There is such a taboo about getting help when you have these feelings....that a lot of people don't. I hope the NFL can help lift that taboo for our young people and they can see it is OK to get help when they need it.

    I'm just wondering if when the team came together yesterday....did that include Stokley and Doom?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North cackalacky
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by MCCAFFREYFAN View Post
    I work in a Inpatient Psych unit. Depression is common to people that have been active and are down with an illness, injury, or surgery. I think you have a great idea that the Teams need to get players that are on IR more involved. Community outreach programs, youth football, just getting out and putting on their jersey's will heal a player quicker than sitting on their butts at home in between rehab sessions. I also think it should be mandatory that they meet with a counselor during this time also. McKinley was very active in football and all of a sudden it was gone. It's the same for a workaholic that looses his job....they don't see the other things to live for in their lives. They need a reason to get up in the morning and feel like they are doing something worthwhile. There is such a taboo about getting help when you have these feelings....that a lot of people don't. I hope the NFL can help lift that taboo for our young people and they can see it is OK to get help when they need it.
    i like what you said here and counseling during rehab is a great idea. i have been a psychologist for 15 years and you are so right about the taboo of getting help. and it is a hundred times worse for a professional sports figure because so much of the psyche is based in strength. not just physical but mental. by asking for help it is as if they are admitting weakness and for some that just isnt an option.

    i do think its important to note that there are different levels of depression. the mild depression you read about in which persons are suffering after a negative event, and take medication and go on with their lives is not the same as severe clinical depression. many times severe depression also includes hallucinations and/or delusions and use of psychoactive drugs can severely increase these symptoms. just being sad about something does not constitute depression. just like an alcoholic you cant just love, or rationalize the disease away. help and recovery are about learning to live WITH the disease, not to cure it.

    depression is a serious disease and most suffer their entire lives. and though i do believe the knowledge that he may never play football again was a major stressor and catalyst in the acceleration of his disease, he would have been suffering before the surgery as well. probably since high school off and on. this is NOT to say it should have been noticed, or could have been prevented, but that going from fine to suicide in a month because of one setback is rare if not unheard of. i felt this an important clarification as the media is going to reduce this event to a headline. 'knee surgery causes suicide in young player' is not the whole truth.

    much love and light to all tonight who will suffer this loss!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •