Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    TD, if that's who you're referring to, was held up at gun-point but not in Denver. He was in Southern California (Hollywood I believe).
    No this was 2003 I think, and the three players I mentioned were out together when they were held up.

Quote Originally Posted by Den615 View Post
    No this was 2003 I think, and the three players I mentioned were out together when they were held up.
    Oh, I didn't know that.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantDBFan View Post
    Joey Porter was actually shot, while in Denver. The places that black athletes go to in Denver are breading grounds for thugs, gangsters and criminals. Unfortunately, thats just part of hip hop culture that so many of them embrace and chose to be around. It is what it is. Everybody is out for a good time until somebody puffs their chest out and stands out as alpha dog.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_152828.html
    Then maybe the athletes should just...hang out somewhere else???

Hooray, beer!

And Javon Walker was robbed and beat up in Vegas. Yet hundreds of celebrities go to Vegas all the time and this doesn't happen to them. I use to go to a club in the Springs called Eden all the time about four years ago. The club then lowered their cover price, changed their dress code policy, and then thugs started pouring in. After a spree of shootings, the club closed down. New management came in with a new club name but the cycle repeated.

I saw when the club was going downhill and stopped going there. I'm somewhat targeted when I go to places like these because I'm White with blue eyes. These players that find themselves in these situations need to be smart enough to choose better places to hang out because they are MUCH MORE targeted than I am or your average Joe.

In bigger places like Miami, Chicago, New York, there are vastly more high roller places to hang out than in Denver. That doesn't mean these athletes are necessarily any more targeted, it just means that they aren't choosing the right locations to hang out.
    Last edited by BluenOrnge4Life; 09-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy180 View Post
    Just gonna throw this out there, but I don't see the statement that Denver is a dangerous town to live in for athletes as ignorant at all... I think everyone is forgetting about the Joey Porter stabbing... certainly more attacks on athletes here than elsewhere

Is this really a fact or is this just because we know more about our own athletes and what happens here?

Our athletes don't seem to be out with high amounts of security as other athletes in other cities......Look at Big Ben he has crews of security people around him. I think all athletes in General are in a dangerous situation when they try and mix with the locals.

The guy that stabbed Joey Porter had no idea he was an athlete....if I remember right. Porter was flashing a lot of cash and the guy was robbing him.

It just sounds to me like Johnson is a guy who's having a hard time accepting that his friend would take his own life. Understandable that he might feel that way, but he shouldn't be making statements like that publicly if he doesn't really know what happened. I feel bad for all of McKinley's friends and family, especially his young son. They have to deal with the emotional aftereffects that occur when a loved one commits suicide. I've never experienced it, but a friend of mine has, and I've seen how it has affected his entire life. I think it's very sad that McKinley has left a young boy fatherless, but at the same time, we should not be judgmental of McKinley. No one knows what personal demons were haunting him. Many things, from emotional problems to chemical imbalances, can cause depression. We don't really know, and may never know, what was going on in his head. So sad.

Wasn't JR Smith shot 3 times while driving out on I-76 leaving The Oasis where Mello had his big B-Day party?

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantDBFan View Post
    Joey Porter was actually shot, while in Denver. The places that black athletes go to in Denver are breading grounds for thugs, gangsters and criminals. Unfortunately, thats just part of hip hop culture that so many of them embrace and chose to be around. It is what it is. Everybody is out for a good time until somebody puffs their chest out and stands out as alpha dog.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_152828.html
    This

Sorry but anyone who denies that almost all of these incidents(not McKinley's obviously) are in some way tied to the thug life hip-hop culture, are in complete denial. And it's not a racial thing because I live in a small town that is probably 60% white and 37% Hispanic and 3% other ethnicities and I see the hip-hop culture influencing kids here also.

This is just a form of denial, its a natural form of grief and shock, you start looking for other reasons why something like this could happen, you dont want to belive that someone close to you could actually end their own life, you almost would rather belive that someone else did this to them so then you could direct your anger towards some villian that doesent exist, but in the end its almost always depression thats the real villian, its a form of mental illness and when a person suffers with this and ends up hurting themselves or ending their own life , they are not in their right mind and thats why its hard for their family and friends to understand how they could do such a horrible thing.
    I know all this because iv lived through it and experanced it, sometimes during the night on Nov 28 2009 my Baby Sister ended her own life, she suffered with depression and severe mood swings, happy and full of life one day, sad and depressed the next, we love her so much and miss her terribly.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by JCJE View Post
    Wasn't JR Smith shot 3 times while driving out on I-76 leaving The Oasis where Mello had his big B-Day party?
    Wouldn't surprise me... that place is Ghetto. As mentioned...

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Quote Originally Posted by JCJE View Post
    It was Julius Hodge that was shot.

Don't think it was foul play, but even Marshall doesn't think it's right.

“I know they said suicide ,but I hope they don’t just close this case without really, truly looking farther into it, because, you know, his personality just doesn’t match this,” Marshall said. “This just doesn’t go with what they’re saying."

Quote Originally Posted by theshiverman View Post
    I know all this because iv lived through it and experanced it, sometimes during the night on Nov 28 2009 my Baby Sister ended her own life, she suffered with depression and severe mood swings, happy and full of life one day, sad and depressed the next, we love her so much and miss her terribly.
    So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the feeling those left behind experience having never been there myself. My heart goes out to you and to Kenny's family. Although, I must admit, when I first heard about this, I kind of had the same reaction. My daughter and I both said we wouldn't be surprised to find out that it wasn't a suicide. We just couldn't believe he would do it knowing that his young son would be returning soon and have to see him like that. I can't imagine a parent in such mental turmoil that they wouldn't at least try to spare their child from that image. So very sad.

I just hope that authorities will consider the story and examine options

You would think that all options have been considered but at this point, it has only been a few days since the incident. If there was foul play, I'm sure that the perpetrator will be caught and brought to justice. Maybe not in this life but in the end we'll all be accountable for our actions against one another. Peace to all.